Thread: Elden Ring

Page 97 of 123 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Completed it, on NG+. Blitzed through it, so trying to do things I missed first time round. Story wise I am at the Capital, not went further.

Have to say, this game is a masterpiece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    I dont think i seen a single place you cant go actually. It seems if its not either water or fog, you can go.
    There is a boss fight where you start walking into an area and see a normal guard, prepare to discard him, but right before you reach him the entire screen goes black and it throws you into a boss battle, where the ENTIRE screen is black except the twin bosses, their spells, your spells/armor/weapons, and the NPCs/Player are brightly lit against a completely dark void. After the fight, you are not teleported back, but instead to the final location you were headed, which the game deduced(correctly in my case) by the direction I was going.

This was just a random interaction in the open world, and barely notable, but in any other game it would be spoken of like the highlight. Absolute masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    I'm on NG+ and scared to fight Malenia again.. I was worried for nothing... I saw some people having easy time with river of blood so I'd give it a try this go around since I have two.
    Boosted both to +9 slap on the blood loss talisman, Alexander talisman, the lower fp cost to skills one and the boost stat one. summon mimic and hit some L2.. She melts in first form. Dodge the flower thing, pull out the repeater crossbow that fires three bolts at once with the blood bolt for more blood loss. Slap her with more L2 move, does a second flower and shot her a few more time and done...
    Worried for nothing -_-
    Cheers for this, I will try it when I get to her again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

As far as I can tell, I guess only have left to kill Radagon. This is it!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    the ENTIRE screen is black
    High Lord Wolnir taught me that there was a fight coming the moment everything else went black. Although the arena and fight are more enjoyable this time.

The collision and hitboxes in this game have to be some of the best if not THE best work From Soft has ever done. I really can't think of too many games with this kind of consistent collision throughout the whole experience.

PVPing, I swear there was a moment when I missed and the dude sidestepped my blade perfectly like within a hair's breadth. He immediately did his weapon art and I forward rolled on some Neo in The Matrix shit and the weapon just barely would have grazed me. We both stopped, stepped back, and took a moment to look at each other in disbelief.

This is a masterpiece of design and gameplay I have rarely ever seen.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Shout out to the bros and sis leaving messages around those.

Also shout out to From for making PvP opt-in only so I can see the messages, bloodstain and stuff without some guy interrupting my play session with this game's terrible PvP.
    Uhhh you never had to humanity/effigy/ember to see messages and bloodstains, PvP in souls has always been Opt in because you would have to use an item to make it so you could be invaded.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

The only griefing I got was in Haligtree when somebody put a set of message runes on top of a bonfire and I didn't have the option to select between them with the up button and simply could NOT click the bonfire, I had to go into offline mode and then I could click it. I'm not sure how that happened because usually I could select which action I wanted if they were stacked, but in this case I could not.

Honestly got to me, it wasn't even that big of a deal, but it upset me that the other player had the power to make me have to restart the game twice to proceed. I do love the online aspects of these games though. In the grand scheme, this was a very minor inconvenience.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2022-04-01 at 05:53 PM.

You gotta be kidding me... areas change/open up after you "clear" them?

Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    Uhhh you never had to humanity/effigy/ember to see messages and bloodstains, PvP in souls has always been Opt in because you would have to use an item to make it so you could be invaded.
    Bloodborne says hi. Though it was so late in the game, pvp was goofy.

It's not really opt in when it's a buff you use to make yourself better that opts you in. Runes Arcs are the equivalent to all those in Elden Ring and they don't "opt" you in to pvp. The only way to get invaded is to use taunters tongue or be playing in coop.

Also there are cases among Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne where you can be invaded without even using a buff so lol... 2 of those being during boss fights to boot. The only true opt out there is to go offline, or just roll the dice on being lucky.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-04-02 at 03:30 AM.

Seen people complaining about player messages blocking Sites of Grace, but has anyone else had an issue of not being able to interact with undiscovered Sites of Grace just in general since the last patch?

I've noticed it in a few places, but a couple stick out in my head. The site at the windmills where there's a boss fight, the actual site seems to be misaligned from what's shown... it's off by a couple of body widths. The other is the site after the dragon boss fight at the end of the lift bypass to Altus... not sure if the NPC invasion was messing with it. Also, the last site before the Blood Lord boss room wasn't accessible until I left the game and re-entered. Pretty sure it's just the patch and not some NG+ shenanigans. Anyone else experiencing this?
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Seen people complaining about player messages blocking Sites of Grace, but has anyone else had an issue of not being able to interact with undiscovered Sites of Grace just in general since the last patch?

I've noticed it in a few places, but a couple stick out in my head. The site at the windmills where there's a boss fight, the actual site seems to be misaligned from what's shown... it's off by a couple of body widths. The other is the site after the dragon boss fight at the end of the lift bypass to Altus... not sure if the NPC invasion was messing with it. Also, the last site before the Blood Lord boss room wasn't accessible until I left the game and re-entered. Pretty sure it's just the patch and not some NG+ shenanigans. Anyone else experiencing this?
    Happened to me a couple of times before the patch also. Just quit to main menu and load again, should work.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm trying to rank the Fromsoft games.

For me, Elden Ring is safely above Dark Souls 1, 2, 3 and Sekiro, but is it above Bloodborne? I donno yet, so I'm replaying it after a many years. The other games are relatively fresh in my head because I replayed them recently. I only just arrived at the Cathedral Ward, but so far Bloodborne is winning.

Nothing will ever beat this game's atmosphere and level design. Elden Ring is more grandiose and full of variety and everything is turned up to 11, but Bloodborne feels a lot tighter and dense. Considering also its age, the graphical fidelity deserves higher marks than Elden Ring as well, despite the often sub 30 fps.

Anyway, all I can say is we don't deserve Fromsoft. What they've managed to achieve in a decade cannot be matched by any game developer.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2022-04-02 at 12:36 PM.

I love that almost nobody seem evil, except mogh lmao. Hes a cool boss and a lore piece of shit. Theres no real reason why hes that way either, morgoth had the same cursed upbringing and turned out a good person. Cant wait for those vatti videos going over what is probably their most disgusting lore characrer lmao. Mabye that part was writtem by Martin for sure. Sound like some bastard hed write about.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2022-04-02 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I'm trying to rank the Fromsoft games.
    I really enjoyed Bloodborne in the moment. But it came out in a time when other games were doing more creative work, IMO. The result being Bloodborne is largely forgettable to me- in so far as I don't recall BB as I did Witcher 3, Undertale, Phantom Pain, et cetera.

I enjoy the Armored Core series more than the 'Souls' games. Not counting Armored Core, I personally like these in rough order;

1. Elden Ring
    2. Demon's Souls
    3. Sekiro
    4. Dark Souls
    5. Dark Souls 3
    6. Blood borne
    7. Dark Souls 2
    8. King's Field

I replayed DS3, DS remake, and Sekiro in the weeks leading up to Elden Ring.

I feel ER is the game From Software has been trying to make for a decade plus. Or closer to.

Anyway, all I can say is we don't deserve Fromsoft. What they've managed to achieve in a decade cannot be matched by any game developer.
    Peak 90s Capcom, Treasure, Nintendo, Sega AM2 and Squaresoft each put together a run of games that are still undefeated in execution and game design.

A Link to the Past, Gunstar Heroes, VF2, FF6, Mega Man X, SF2, are games still the subject of fan and academic consideration in the medium.

Games in 2022 are still being designed with the same notions about how games ought to work based on the aforementioned developer's games.

KOF15, Octopath Traveler, Ori & the Will of the Wisps, Doom Eternal, even Elden Ring- all these games have designs established primarily and principally in the 1990s 16 to 32-bit era transition; when input interactivity of 2D games was reconciled in 3D collision space.

We will never experience games like that again. The arrow of time only travels in one direction. There is only one Reign in Blood.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2022-04-02 at 08:45 PM.

These buffs were kind of important. DS1 and 2 are a distant memory to me but being embered in DS3 was something like a 40% HP boost. If you're going through a tough area or boss they help a hell of a lot. I played most of my first run of DS3 and all of my SL1 run offline due to this.

Elden Ring's solution of being fully opt in with no strings attached is significantly better. I really, really wouldn't want my exploration to be interrupted by some doofus running an OP build that I couldn't care less about beating or not.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post

Ya same to me, after I beat a boss the fire wasn’t working. Logged out and in and worked.

Hold on... is this a prequel to Dark Souls?

This game is flipping me the fuck out. The story is incredible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Hold on... is this a prequel to Dark Souls?

This game is flipping me the fuck out. The story is incredible.
    How so?

Dark Souls is pretty much Newtonian worship with his third law of thermodynamics. How entropy affects the whole universe. Ancient dragons being slow and never changing getting pummeled by Gwyn's lightning and age of fire until they run out of fuel and it's always dark outside.

Elden Ring is more Close Encounters of the Third Kind but the aliens have a gold fetish instead of playing music.