Shard of Halkias

What’s the consensus here on dealing with Thrash? Outrange or take the damage?

I did a +11 (as healer) where the tank got very abusive, calling me retarded etc because I took and healed through the damage. We timed the key and still afterwards he was /W me with all the usual toxic elitist stuff.

Anyway, you know what comes next……..

+12 with Rogue, DH and boomie. Rogue goes through to backstab or whatever and this time him and the DH die because I outranged it. Then the “WTB heals” jokes start in the chat.

A classic damned if you do and damned if you don’t situation.

So as keys get higher and this damage starts to matter, what’s the consensus on it? Is it the DPS responsibility to save themselves here or is it on the healer?

There are multiple scenarios for me. To keep it simple, let's only talk about 14-16 Weekly Key Runs

PUG - Trash buffed - Got Deff CD? -> Stay and nuke
    PUG - Trash buffed - Good Healer? ->Stay and nuke
    PUG - Boss buffed -> Stay and nuke
    otherwise -> outrange (very simple as range DPS)

My usual Group? Just nuke

Rogues and DHs should have no problem to stay alive tbh. Feint/Blur/Meta Leech and kill it

Thrash damage range is slightly lower than players' range if melee are between you and the boss so you can outrange the damage while being in range to heal melee players, you don't have to sacrifice anyone. I would have been surprised too if my healer went to Narnia and stopped healing while being mauled by Thrash in a fortified+grievous week.

DPS can have defensive cooldowns to survive one Thrash on their own, but not two and they definitely can't save themselves this week given the affixes because you most definitely will have two sets of Thrash casts or even three.
    Last edited by Barzotti; 2021-06-12 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickb View Post
    Thrash range is 40, your healing spells range is 40 too.

If tank/melee are between you and Shard of Halkias you can stay at max range to tank/melee and heal them while not getting hit by thrash yourself. Range dps spell mostly have a range of more than 40 so they can outrange while dpsing.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a pug, tell them if you're going to out range it

In my normal group we just tank the damage because we have pride for all but the first one, and all healer CDs for the first one (and also most healer CDs for 2nd and third).

If you're going to outrange, make sure your melee dps are between you and the pride, so you can heal them, or also run out.

Quote Originally Posted by Barzotti View Post
    Thrash damage range is slightly lower than players' range if melee are between you and the boss so you can outrange the damage while being in range to heal melee players, you don't have to sacrifice anyone. I would have been surprised too if my healer went to Narnia and stopped healing while being mauled by Thrash in a fortified+grievous week.

DPS can have defensive cooldowns to survive one Thrash on their own, but not two and they definitely can't save themselves this week given the affixes because you most definitely will have two sets of Thrash casts or even three.
    As I said, on the second group the melee were on the other side of the shard so out of range for me if I’m just outside the 40 yards. I’m not talking about going all the way to narnia.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    range dps mostly have a range of 40... i can outrange it on my hunter while still dpsing it...
    Hunters have 47 range, they can stand in Narnia and keep dpsing it
    Last edited by Twdft; 2021-06-12 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post

If tank/melee are between you and Shard of Halkias you can stay at max range to tank/melee and heal them while not getting hit by thrash yourself. Range dps spell mostly have a range of more than 40 so they can outrange while dpsing.
    Wrong, it's around 37. Both, my boomie and my BM hunter (bm doesn't have increased range) can outrange it while still dpsing.
    Technically it's 40, yes - but it pulses from the middle of his hitbox, while the attackable range is increased by the hitbox, meaning 37 away from his outer hitbox = out of range.
    Last edited by Bloodyleech; 2021-06-12 at 11:36 AM.

Only mm have increased range, bm range is 40

Thrash should be outranged unless you're a tank or melee. If you're melee then you should be using a personal defensive. DH can blur, rogue can use feint. For halls, a smart rogue would take elusiveness instead of cheat death because of the AoE damage. Unless the healer dies to the mechanic it's not 100% their fault if one of the melee DPS dies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mages can also outrange it, so can shamans and priests.

It's more like a 37 yard range on the thrash

- - - Updated - - -

As I said, on the second group the melee were on the other side of the shard so out of range for me if I’m just outside the 40 yards. I’m not talking about going all the way to narnia.
    Yeah that's on them. Then again, in a 12 you shouldn't die to a thrash. I don't think it does enough damage to 100-0 someone unless they're undergeared until you're in the 17+ range

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Mages can also outrange it, so can shamans and priests.

It's more like a 37 yard range on the thrash

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah that's on them. Then again, in a 12 you shouldn't die to a thrash. I don't think it does enough damage to 100-0 someone unless they're undergeared until you're in the 17+ range
    It can happen this week if the healer is not good or afk the majority of time and people get low via Grievious and/or the debuffs from the casters don't get disspelled. Otherwise - yes, you can't die only to the pulse if you run out out of the aoe and disspell stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    You would be wise to just out range it especially on much higher keys. Even on non-Fortified weeks it will kill you at higher levels.

It makes everybody's lives easier to out range it.

I did a +11 (as healer) where the tank got very abusive, calling me retarded etc because I took and healed through the damage. We timed the key and still afterwards he was /W me with all the usual toxic elitist stuff.

Anyway, you know what comes next……..

+12 with Rogue, DH and boomie. Rogue goes through to backstab or whatever and this time him and the DH die because I outranged it. Then the “WTB heals” jokes start in the chat.

A classic damned if you do and damned if you don’t situation.

So as keys get higher and this damage starts to matter, what’s the consensus on it? Is it the DPS responsibility to save themselves here or is it on the healer?
    As someone who has completed +23 halls I feel I can offer some good advise for this.

First off thrash by itself isn't so bad. On +23 outside of grevious, if all your dealing with is thrash then you can out heal it. Its not that bad. But there's a lot more to consider.

In my route I just pull groundskeepers in with the shard. These can be easily pushed away during thrash to stop the extra tank damage.

The collector 90% of the time casts siphon life during THE FIRST thrash. After that it basically never comes during thrash. That dot hits for a lot so you have to dispel it, but ideally you want is to lock down the cast. This can be done with a stun lasting 3 seconds or by using a roar, then waiting until 80% of the second cast attempt has been completed, and then using another roar / typhoon / ring of peace etc. After the second roar he won't cast it again providing it was done late enough.

Pulling in obliterators can make the tank suffer a lot more damage. Ideally you want to AOE stun them during thrash and use interrupts on them. Ideally though you want to have a boomkin in your group for solar beam or a NF warrior combined with other CC / interrupts. If someone gets cursed by the obliterators you don't want to dispel this because as a healer as you want to be dispelling siphon life. Having a DPS (mage or shammy or druid) that can dispel these helps a lot. Obliterators are a huge problem during thrash.

Pulling in darkblades is fine. You just need to make sure melee arn't standing in front of them and getting cleaved. pushing them away like you would do with groundskeepers is also an option. The biggest pain point here is that darkblades nearly always have an obliterator attached to them.

So basically you just need to manage the other mobs. If you can keep the other mobs under control during thrash it isn't an issue.

As many have said you can outrange thrash as ANY healer or ranged and continue to DPS / heal. There are weak auras to show you when you are at a safe distance. If the healer is ranging it then your melee / tank need to stand on the close side of the shard so you can heal them. It is always a good idea to out range thrash unless you are a tank / melee / melee healer.

The only time tanks / melee / melee healers need to move out or line of sight the thrash is if you are doing a mega pull. Next season mega pulling into the shard on the right is probably going to be a good idea to get early buffs. So pulling that shard into the corner so you can line of sight it during thrash while you kill everything else is probably going to be the play.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Bobthegoat; 2021-06-12 at 06:13 PM.
    Bobthegoát - Aszune

10+ Year Old Account

Only MM and Balance have a range of more then 40, everyone else has a range of exactly 40.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

You won't need to ask yourself this question anymore: https://www.wowhead.com/news/patch-9...onement-322860

Range of thrash increased to 60 yards.

15+ Year Old Account
    Stay and nuke, it's minor enough that there's no reason to bother outranging.