Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Seriously? (Juneteenth)

It is the new Federal holiday. Coincidentally, it is inherently a race related topic. Apparently having an opinion on it gets one infracted for trolling. WTF?

I respond to:
    This is some grade A Gas lighting. Under the veil of oh how unfair it would be to other groups.

For the record we already have holidays for different groups of people, including natives, and the discussion about 1 doesn't suggest ignoring any others.
    Nice.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

So instead of whispering a mod about this, you post it in the Suggestions and Feedback forum where you risk another infraction for discussing moderation?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thread topics like that are always going to get closed. The fact that one did so quickly is probably a plus.

Your post was snarky, yes, but I'm not sure about "trolling" as cited.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmouse View Post
    It is the new Federal holiday. Coincidentally, it is inherently a race related topic. Apparently having an opinion on it gets one infracted for trolling. WTF?

I respond to:

Nice.
    I will say, someone that has their Location set as China being mad about an American Federal Holiday has some sort of Irony to it I'm sure.

Perhaps take it up in whispers to the Mod in question, this will likely just get another infraction.

This topic should be closed, as it should. This is the definition of either trolling, or CCP propaganda to divide americans.

The reason why Juneteenth is a holiday is because america may be a land of immigrants with varied stories, but they all combine to create the tapestry that is america and the world, and we try to show appreciation for everyone here.

10+ Year Old Account
    You aren't allowed to discuss mod behavior in public, as you should know after 9 and a half years on the platform. DM a blue mod

Wait, USA has a new holiday? Like, a real one when you don't have to go to work or...? (Sry I'm EU noob.)

I respond to:

Nice.
    this has come up for the past few years at least... every year.

It depends on what you said.

I've already posted the definition of trolling when I got infracted for it (one of the many times). (And of course the person that actually did the trolling was not punished in any way, shape, or form.) The mods simply refuse to learn. Might as well go outside and slam your hand in a car door for all the good it will do to complain about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Wait, USA has a new holiday? Like, a real one when you don't have to go to work or...? (Sry I'm EU noob.)
    Yes - Biden signed it into law Thursday. In the US, if a federal holiday falls on Saturday, it's usually celebrated on Friday, and if it's on Sunday, it's celebrated on Monday. Usually.

I think it will be like Veterans Day, Labor Day, and other holidays like that - we'll probably see a lot of places closing. This year there probably wasn't enough time to decide what to do, since the holiday falls two days after the bill was signed.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    So instead of whispering a mod about this, you post it in the Suggestions and Feedback forum where you risk another infraction for discussing moderation?
    It is of public interest though. There is much bullshit moderation going on at times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Folks, perhaps grab a coffee. Consider this, we've reached a point where it is predictable that discussing a topic such as Juneteenth (first new Federal holiday in quite a while and thus relevant to a chunk of posters) will get discussion infracted and probably get the thread closed. Thats a "forums" issue to think about.

Civility overall is another "forums" issue. Calling someone a troll used to be an issue, times have moved on, the word seems to be mainly a relic and has been replaced by other phrases.
    @Super Kami Dende I have family branches in Texas, with a long (100 year plus) connection to Juneteenth. So, yeah, I kinda have an opinion on moving it to being a photo op holiday where by next year we're going to see random politicians using it for photo ops without any connection to it.
    @justandulas For the love of small kittens, learn your history.
    The reason why Juneteenth is a holiday is because america may be a land of immigrants with varied stories, but they all combine to create the tapestry that is america and the world, and we try to show appreciation for everyone here.
    Juneteenth is about a final chapter in the forcible end of slavery among holdouts even after emancipation. It is not a land of immigrants tale.
    @Calfredd As noted, a wider consideration is that the whole topic cannot really be discussed. I'd say it is a growing trend. I think Gen-OT these days may be allowed to discuss hamburgers, or what would one do with N dollars and some provision (push button, dance dressed as a penguin on Tik Tok, or whatever), but ... where was the Happy Juneteenth last year or the year before? Nope, none that I recall. Now, it is Federal holiday, and forum rules are not keeping up to allow discussion. The topic wasn't moved to politics, just closed out of hand. If I pm a mod, nobody else gets any input on that broader topic, but I'm hearing people leaving over the situation in Gen-OT, so maybe it is time to have a more open discussion. Not one about moderation, but perhaps what can be done to let conversations keep up with current concerns and interests.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Folks, perhaps grab a coffee. Consider this, we've reached a point where it is predictable that discussing a topic such as Juneteenth (first new Federal holiday in quite a while and thus relevant to a chunk of posters) will get discussion infracted and probably get the thread closed. Thats a "forums" issue to think about.

Civility overall is another "forums" issue. Calling someone a troll used to be an issue, times have moved on, the word seems to be mainly a relic and has been replaced by other phrases.
    @Super Kami Dende I have family branches in Texas, with a long (100 year plus) connection to Juneteenth. So, yeah, I kinda have an opinion on moving it to being a photo op holiday where by next year we're going to see random politicians using it for photo ops without any connection to it.
    @justandulas For the love of small kittens, learn your history.

Juneteenth is about a final chapter in the forcible end of slavery among holdouts even after emancipation. It is not a land of immigrants tale.
    @Calfredd As noted, a wider consideration is that the whole topic cannot really be discussed. I'd say it is a growing trend. I think Gen-OT these days may be allowed to discuss hamburgers, or what would one do with N dollars and some provision (push button, dance dressed as a penguin on Tik Tok, or whatever), but ... where was the Happy Juneteenth last year or the year before? Nope, none that I recall. Now, it is Federal holiday, and forum rules are not keeping up to allow discussion. The topic wasn't moved to politics, just closed out of hand. If I pm a mod, nobody else gets any input on that broader topic, but I'm hearing people leaving over the situation in Gen-OT, so maybe it is time to have a more open discussion. Not one about moderation, but perhaps what can be done to let conversations keep up with current concerns and interests.
    The whole topic can’t be discussed because this forum cannot be trusted, period.

This forum is honestly worse than 4chan at times, especially when it comes to political related topics. It’s not surprising the mods enforce the rules so much and are strict when it comes to these kinds of topics.

Of all the forums etc. that I’ve been on over the years, MMO-champ still holds the record for how quickly potentially controversial threads derail themselves.

I respond to:

Nice.
    clearly a racist, no one wants you here.

Quote Originally Posted by bRighteyez View Post
    clearly a racist, no one wants you here.
    You're clearly lacking intelligence, maybe no one wants you here.

Too many alt-right losers on these forums to have a respectable, civil discussion on anything regarding race, gender or US politics in general.

And 1-word retorts is often deemed as trolling in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing is, people on the far left have no interest in having discussion. They are subconsciously extremely insecure about their beliefs because their beliefs are completely manufactured and thus if it is in their power to shut down discussion in order to prevent the massive cognitive dissonance when presented with critical thought, they will exercise that power.

This is why the left now outright supports censorship and preventing the spread of ideas. They are subconsciously aware of their insanity, but refuse to acknowledge it because that would mean reevaluating their entire vision of the world. If there’s anything people on the far left have in common it’s fear of personal responsibility and growth. The result being that constructive conversation is extremely uncomfortable for them. So, just shut it down.
    Last edited by Ladey Gags; 2021-06-20 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Too many alt-right losers on these forums to have a respectable, civil discussion on anything regarding race, gender or US politics in general.

And 1-word retorts is often deemed as trolling in general.
    Too many alt-left regressist losers on these forums to have a respectable, civil discussion on anything regarding race, gender or US politics in general.

Well well well, looks like we've found the reason these topics get shutdown.

Americans and western society as a whole, have been so hoodwinked by not only foreign propaganda but corporate propaganda as well. Why do you think every major new organization does nothing but push it? The Rich want it because it distracts from their exploitation of the poor and the foreign governments want it to divide the west. To go full conspiracy, Martin Luther King preached about racial divides for years and year but the moment he started appealing to the poor white crowd about how they are too being exploited by the Rich, he was dead soon after.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EnacheV View Post
    Too many alt-left regressist losers on these forums to have a respectable, civil discussion on anything regarding race, gender or US politics in general.
    Progressive. What the alt-right wants is regressive. Regressing back to earlier eras of white men not being bullied by the minorities getting bitchy about getting walked over.

And as far as politics go, there is nothing respectable or civil about Trump.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Americans and western society as a whole, have been so hoodwinked by not only foreign propaganda but corporate propaganda as well. Why do you think every major new organization does nothing but push it? The Rich want it because it distracts from their exploitation of the poor and the foreign governments want it to divide the west. To go full conspiracy, Martin Luther King preached about racial divides for years and year but the moment he started appealing to the poor white crowd about how they are too being exploited by the Rich, he was dead soon after.
    In my opinion, foreign powers have relatively little to do with what America has become. It has been this way since forever. Foreigners fanning the flames in America is a new phenomenon.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?