Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Build my next-gen gaming PC

I want to upgrade my PC to one that can play next gen (PS5/XSX) games, such as Hitman 3 and Assassin's Creed: Valhalla. Link me parts from Amazon and/or Newegg. I'm willing to pay up to $1,000 (unless it isn't necessary) without the monitor and graphics card. I'm willing to spend another $1k on the graphics card and monitor.

What I think I need:
    Motherboard
    RAM
    Processor
    Graphics Card
    Fan
    Monitor
    Last edited by Ashleyxoxo; 2021-06-13 at 11:01 PM.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    obligotory the market is ass and you wont get a GPU. anyways this should be under $1000 without the GPU:

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/7Nwrx...treaming-build

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Start tracking BB for a FE 30 series(non-Ti) now. A 3080 can be had at that budget if you are persistent.
    Sorry, what is BB?

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Best Buy I think

Also, Good luck on the video card hunt. I've been on the hunt since November of last year. Got lucky on a Newegg Shuffle and ended up with a 3070 TI. The dream is a 3080 Founders at MSRP, and if it you that dream, RNGsus loves you more than most.
    So it's more difficult to acquire than a PS5... Maybe I should just stick to consoles.

- - - Updated - - -

Best Buy. They’re the retailer for Founder’s Edition cards in the US. Got my 3080 at $699+tax in January through them.
    How do I track them?

Best Buy. They’re the retailer for Founder’s Edition cards in the US. Got my 3080 at $699+tax in January through them.

It's MUCH MUCH harder to get cards off Best buy now than it was at the beginning of the year. I ended up getting 3 cards for friends in December/January pretty easily. I've been trying ever since to get one for myself and it's been impossible. The bots have figured out a way to bypass BBs authentication system and "anti-bot" checkout. Their system is pretty bad in the first place. Half the time it says available and I get it in my cart and then says not available nearby. I'd suggest trying to newegg shuffle

15+ Year Old Account
    Since graphic cards are missing, buying a new stationary pc now is not a good idea.
    Even if you find a decent card in stock, the price will be jacked up.

However,
    Where I live, RTX 3xxx laptop are in stock and the prices aren't bad. You can find RTX 3080 laptop for around €2200 (Acer Helios I believe). 3070 are even cheaper.
    And 3060 you can find for below €1500. Now add a 1440p screen and you'll get away with a good gaming machine for €2000.

From my perspective, I would say it's harder to get a new GPU at MSRP. That said, I have a friend who was able to get a 3080 at launch and 2 PS5 all for MSRP. Going in to it from the standpoint of patience, I would say keep trying for the GPU. ALso make use of the Newegg Shuffle if you can.
    3080 launched before current price hikes. So everyone that was able to get a 30 series or rx6000 series got them at MSRP or near. Currently that is not really possible, unless you find a special price moderated SKU.

10+ Year Old Account
    A decent monitor is, I would say, ~$300+ so that leaves ~$700 for a GPU in your budget and good luck with that currently.

If you have to build a computer right now you've gotta start with the GPU. It's pointless making a computer build when we don't know what GPU's you can get and at what price. Sure normally $1000 is plenty enough to get a GPU and monitor to play next gen titles, but currently it's hard to even get a half-decent GPU for that money.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    A decent monitor is, I would say, ~$300+ so that leaves ~$700 for a GPU in your budget and good luck with that currently.

If you have to build a computer right now you've gotta start with the GPU. It's pointless making a computer build when we don't know what GPU's you can get and at what price. Sure normally $1000 is plenty enough to get a GPU and monitor to play next gen titles, but currently it's hard to even get a half-decent GPU for that money.
    Is there a gfx card over $1,000 that I can actually buy right now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Is there a gfx card over $1,000 that I can actually buy right now?
    In the USA I have no idea, sorry. In EU there's generally quite a few available but at ~ 2x - 3x higher price than they should be. I could buy a RTX 3070 right now if I'd feel like spending 1000€ on one, or a RX6900XT for 2000€ and so on.

Yes. There are many cards you can get in the US right now if you are willing to spend more than 1k. The storefront you are purchasing from and how much more than 1k is going to be the next questions you have to answer.

On ebay right now, you can get a new in box 3070 TI for 1400 (Its msrp is 599). Just as an example. I know Amazon has cards too but again the prices are through the roof.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember trying on the day the 3080 launched. Buddy of mine got one, I failed. Yes, and then the prices went up. I guess I am seeing the Founders Edition specifically at Best Buy remaining the same price when the restock (but that only happened once).
    Is the 3070TI good enough for next gen (PS5/Xbox XSX) games? Max I’ll pay for a graphics card is $1.5k.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the 3070TI good enough for next gen (PS5/Xbox XSX) games? Max I’ll pay for a graphics card is $1.5k.
    Yes but 3070TI is a kind of pointless card as it's barely any faster than a 3070 while using quite a lot more power. But ofc current price makes any comparisons difficult.

Aim for a RTX 3080 (should be $700) or RX 6800XT (should be $650) as they offer the best bang for the buck in the mythical land of MSRP.

If you can't get either of those, the performance ranking for the rest of the cards are as follows, in descending order:

RX 6800 (should be $580)
    RTX 3070TI (should be $600)
    RTX 3070 (should be $500)
    RX 6700XT (should be $480)
    RTX 3060 (should be $330)

RTX 3060TI is in there somewhere but that card basically doesn't exist, Nvidia hasn't supplied any 3060TI chips for months.

Get whichever one you can find closest to MSRP so you pay as little overprice as possible.

Or, my personal opinion, just don't bother with a new PC/GPU now. I was lucky enough to get a 6800XT for MSRP in the autumn, there's no way I'd pay these insane double or triple prices, I'd just keep whatever I already have. Or try to get a PS5 or XboxX. Or just don't bother with gaming in general for a while.

Buy. A. 3080. If can’t be bothered to track restocks buy from a boutique company. They sell at retail.
    Where do I find a "boutique company"??

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Yes but 3070TI is a kind of pointless card as it's barely any faster than a 3070 while using quite a lot more power. But ofc current price makes any comparisons difficult.

Aim for a RTX 3080 (should be $700) or RX 6800XT (should be $650) as they offer the best bang for the buck in the mythical land of MSRP.

If you can't get either of those, the performance ranking for the rest of the cards are as follows, in descending order:

RX 6800 (should be $580)
    RTX 3070TI (should be $600)
    RTX 3070 (should be $500)
    RX 6700XT (should be $480)
    RTX 3060 (should be $330)

RTX 3060TI is in there somewhere but that card basically doesn't exist, Nvidia hasn't supplied any 3060TI chips for months.

Get whichever one you can find closest to MSRP so you pay as little overprice as possible.

Or, my personal opinion, just don't bother with a new PC/GPU now. I was lucky enough to get a 6800XT for MSRP in the autumn, there's no way I'd pay these insane double or triple prices, I'd just keep whatever I already have. Or try to get a PS5 or XboxX. Or just don't bother with gaming in general for a while.
    None of those are available on Amazon or Newegg.

None of those are available on Amazon or Newegg.
    That is kind of the point many people have been trying to make. There simply isn't a good deal to have at the moment.. And we don't know when this will end. Crypto is somewhat falling atm, but supply is still constrained and as the supply has been constrained for a long time, things still sell at these ridiculous prices.

Buy. A. 3080. If can’t be bothered to track restocks buy from a boutique company. They sell at retail.
    It's still not going to solve the problem that it's just way too much money atm for a GPU. And from what I've seen stuff are on stock at least here, it's just 2-3x the suggested price. And retailers can't really do anything about that as from what I've seen it's not really them that are taking the money. It is the card manufacturers and importers that are taking the biggest cuts atm. So you'd have to be a company that gets a direct supply from an AIB, that agrees to a lower price to actually be able to sell products at MSRP currently. And basically no AIB will do that without intencives as the cards are still seemingly selling at decent pace, even with current prices.

Really? My buddy got his for $742 just this month. Not sure you know what you’re talking about.
    Well from what I heard from a retailer in here there was 1 SKU of all 3080tis that was at suggested price from the supplier. They got 10 of those cards, meanwhile they got 79 of the other SKUs from the same manufacturer. So sure, they exist, just you have to get super duper lucky or resorseful to get something at suggested price.

Also to add they got 117 cards total during launch, all but 3 of them have been bought out. This at 2x suggested price for most of them. They got 200+ cards coming from the supplier atm, non-surpricingly all of them are high priced SKUs and there is no supply info on the decently priced SKU.

Yep, Finland sucks. We get it.
    Sure it's only one example, from an EU wide supply chain though, so not Finland. Usually we here have things under suggested US price after taking into account exhange rates and taxes mind you.

And, yet, here in the US you can buy these cards from a reputable retailer at msrp on a regular basis. So, let’s not use Finland as an example when it’s clearly not equivalent.
    I never was using Finland as an example. It's a Germany based supplier. And yes US is different for EU.

But let me ask this question. If you were a manufacturer of goods, you have 2 choices most of your stock to a region that insta buys your stuff at 2x the suggested price or to a US that forces you to supply goods at MSRP. Where would you send the most of those goods?

And, yet, here in the US you can buy these cards from a reputable retailer at msrp on a regular basis. So, let’s not use Finland as an example when it’s clearly not equivalent.
    There's still issues in the US, as the supply is very regional. Even the press releases that Best Buy has put out in the past has said their stock is regional, despite being online-only for purchases. Best Buy seems base the inventory around the stores near you when trying to purchase 3000's series cards, and from the checkout process it does appear that each store has a set number of cards they can sell online. One time, I set my VPN to a less populated area to try to get a card, but Best Buy will prevent you from purchasing if your shipping address is not near the "store" from which you are purchasing. It's likely an anti-scalping/botting measure, but it doesn't fix the issue if you live in a region where botters/scalpers are prevalent. Unfortunately in my region, there's a bunch of eBay scalpers in the region, so it's always a fight.

I've managed to get my hands on a couple cards, but they're all AIB cards despite wanting an FE card. Managed to get lucky in the New Egg Shuffle, and I also have had success from Antonline. Have some friends in Texas that have had good success with waiting in line at Microcenter... so if one lives near one, worth a shot.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville