Ascendance / totem placement questions

Just hit 50 on my Resto and have a couple of questions.

When the tooltip says “duplicates” all healing and splits it across allies…….what does this mean exactly?

Is it effectively 100% extra healing for each spell or is it mirrored across all party members(I.e 400%)?

Assuming it’s the former, let’s say I healing surge in a dungeon for 2000 healing. Does it make this 4000 healing split across 5 people (800 each).

Or does it heal the party member I cast it on for 2000, and split the duplicated 2000 across the remaining 4 party members for 500 each?

Just trying to figure how best to use it (Ie does it allow you to dump all healing into a single target and allow the talent to distribute it all, or do you need to heal multiple targets sort of like a holy priest cleaving with trail of light?)

On the totems, how do people place them? On my retro Druid because the aoe is so big and there’s no cool down on efflorescence I just use an @cursor macro as it’s easy to replace. This saves time in placement in 95% of circumstances. But with some of the shaman totems having a much smaller radius and having long cool downs I was wondering what people do. I’ve found that even things like spirit link which are “oh shit” buttons, you can nearly lose a GCD trying to place it precisely.

Ascendance duplicates the healing done, spread onto the party/raid. So it's the 2k heal, then 2k split amongst everyone in range. You don't "lose" any single target healing. Just pump heals into whoever needs it and everyone else gets the split healing.

And totems, that's just the nature of them, you need to plan ahead. Earthen Wall you put down at the start of a pull once everything is gathered up so it lasts and the tank "shouldn't" move out of it. Spirit Link is still a decent radius, but like I said requires planning and if it is used as an oh shit button, you put it down where its needed, on yourself or the tank, and others should move into it. It's usually just dropped in melee so it hits everything and let's yourself and ranged just move in quickly.
    Last edited by Moggers1990; 2021-06-15 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moggers1990 View Post
    Ascendance duplicates the healing done, spread onto the party/raid. So it's the 2k heal, then 2k split amongst everyone in range. You don't "lose" any single target healing. Just pump heals into whoever needs it and everyone else gets the split healing.

And totems, that's just the nature of them, you need to plan ahead. Earthen Wall you put down at the start of a pull once everything is gathered up so it lasts and the tank "shouldn't" move out of it. Spirit Link is still a decent radius, but like I said requires planning and if it is used as an oh shit button, you put it down where its needed, on yourself or the tank, and others should move into it. It's usually just dropped in melee so it hits everything and let's yourself and ranged just move in quickly.
    Yes was thinking of something like that as well...

10+ Year Old Account
    I use a one click macro for placing totems like Spirit Link or earthen wall at my cursor to save me the step of having to place the reticle first. It's much faster that way, but to benefit you always need to be aware of where your cursor is or losing the reticle step may make your placements worse, or waste time if you have to spend time looking for it before dropping. Since I mouseover heal anyway, I always am hyperaware of where my cursor is, but I also use a WA that highlights it top help keep it from getting lost.

I almost always place that kind of thing in melee because it's always going to reliably hit more people than at range, and I can even preemptively move close to benefit from it myself.

Totem placement does require some advanced foresight and planning, but just having the physical ability to drop it quickly and precisely is a huge help.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Mickb View Post
    On the totems, how do people place them? On my retro Druid because the aoe is so big and there’s no cool down on efflorescence I just use an @cursor macro as it’s easy to replace. This saves time in placement in 95% of circumstances. But with some of the shaman totems having a much smaller radius and having long cool downs I was wondering what people do. I’ve found that even things like spirit link which are “oh shit” buttons, you can nearly lose a GCD trying to place it precisely.
    ascendance is a healing cd you use to save the group. It's not used in raids usually due to wellspring beating it out in overall throughput. In m+ you pop it when your group is about to bite/suffer big damage and you can clump up. Just focus on keeping the lowest people alive and the duplicated healing will cover everything else. if you like to use it for raiding save it for heavy raid damage like painsmith chain breaks and use AE healing/PW combo to maximize output.

for totems i use cursor macros and i set my keybindings so that i set healing rain with my middle mouse button and two more with extra buttons on my gaming mouse. When it comes to spirit link if your use a healing addon such as healbot you can set it to a mouse combo and it will automatically set the totem at the bottom of the target's feet.