Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Kerxans, extinct giants of the Maw

One of my favorite bits of 9.1 and Shadowlands as a whole have been the recent Hand mounts and all the lore that comes with them. Just now I noticed they and their planet were named and given backstory that links to the Burning Legion.

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Han...ronicle_of_Woe

With my shriveled hand do I, Varithoman the Penitent, recount the tale of four damned souls who, like me, were condemned to the darkest reaches of the Maw.

Yet while I learned humility through my suffering, these four carried on with their wicked ways. And answered for it.

May you, dear reader, trod a wiser path.

Hearken.

Kin from an ancient world were they. A place of power and might called Kerxan, where a race of giants dwelled.

Through guile and treachery, the four seized power. Commanded a vast army.

Two sisters and two brothers. Apart from each other, they trusted no one. Took no counsel. Showed no remorse.

Bahmethra was eldest. She was the cruelest, savoring the suffering of those she ruled.

Hrestimorak was the most conniving. He delighted in gaining trust only to betray it.

Salaranga was cunning. Mistress of mighty beasts that she trained to feed upon the blood of rivals.

Nilganihmaht was youngest, and by far the most arrogant and vain. He believed himself invincible. Untouchable.

Over the thousand years of their reign, they murdered countless rivals and gorged themselves upon the plunder. But their selfishness caused their own forces to weaken.

When the burning ones came, the armies of Kerxan were too depleted to defy them.

And even the four, for all their cunning, fell to the demon blades.

When the four arrived in the Maw, the Jailer beheld their litany of crimes and was pleased.

He bound their souls in massive armors, elevated them to become his chosen tormentors.

And how did they repay the honors bestowed by the Banished One? With treachery.

The four set out to usurp the Jailer's reign. They used guile and might to build an army of their own.

But the Jailer's Eye had witnessed their duplicity. Thus the master of the Maw was ready when they struck.

One by one, the giants fell.

The Banished One didn't merely destroy these defiant souls. No.

First he claimed a hand from each. A token, he said, to remind others of the folly of defying him.

And he bade me, his faithful chronicler, to make a record of their crimes.

Do you see? Do you understand?

To defy the Banished One is folly.

Bahmethra. Hrestimorak. Salaranga. And Nilganihmaht, he of the many rings.

Your hands will serve him for all time, even as your broken souls ride the currents of Gorgoa.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Do we know the identity of this "faithful chronicler" who authored this?
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Well, he did introduce himself right at the start.

But we don't seem to know anything about Varithoman beyond his name and that he's been a chronicler to the Jailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Varithoman the Penitent, who from what I can see is the result of what the Maw is meant to be.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Ah yes, another source of Blizzard trying to imply that Zovaal's a greater power than Sargeras. :/ If only he was interesting...

- - - Updated - - -

Why do I get the feeling that the Maw was once Zovaal's OG Covenant, but since his treachery, the Arbiter warped the Maw into a place of eternal damnation for the Jailer to suffer in?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstOnes View Post
    Ah yes, another source of Blizzard trying to imply that Zovaal's a greater power than Sargeras. :/ If only he was interesting...

- - - Updated - - -

Why do I get the feeling that the Maw was once Zovaal's OG Covenant, but since his treachery, the Arbiter warped the Maw into a place of eternal damnation for the Jailer to suffer in?
    How does this imply greater power then sargaras they seem to have just died to demons.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    How does this imply greater power then sargaras they seem to have just died to demons.
    The Titans also died to the overwhelming might of the Demons. Doesn't really mean much. Doesn't mean the Giants didn't give off a good fight, but still. Zovaal seemed to have dismantled their souls all by himself however, that is unless he used the Mawsworn to stop them, which I don't think is the implication here.

Zovaal is also stronger than the Primus, who with the tap of his staff yeeted Helya back to Hellheim and has had memories of the Titans as shown in 9.0 (Maybe implying he's fought with them?). The Primus is also among the greatest fighters in existence and serves as the Defender of the Shadowlands, which is similar in role to Sargeras, who was once the Defender of the Titans and the Great Dark.
    Last edited by TheFirstOnes; 2021-06-15 at 05:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How is Sargeras any more interesting than the Jailer? To me, it seemed like Sargeras is like that rebellious edgy teenager who listens to heavy metal and says nonsense like "Darkness is so cool!". He was extremely boring and one-dimensional, it is sad that he is not permanently gone.
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be

- - - Updated - - -

Not really. This implies, that they were first destroyed by Sargeras and then had their souls tormented and thus destroyed by the Jailor. Nothing here says anything about who was the stronger of the two.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

I don't really understand the plot. So the Jailer tries to betray the other Eternal Ones and was locked up in the Maw and given full control over it? How fucking dumb are the Eternal Ones and why didn't they check in on him until the Primus did? I thought he was basically the lock for the place and later on learned how to control his chains and take over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by BrintoSFJ View Post
    How is Sargeras any more interesting than the Jailer? To me, it seemed like Sargeras is like that rebellious edgy teenager who listens to heavy metal and says nonsense like "Darkness is so cool!". He was extremely boring and one-dimensional, it is sad that he is not permanently gone.
    Sargeras just wanted to save the universe in his own misguided way. The Jailer is what? A guy that borrows power from people and likes torturing people?
    Last edited by qwerty123456; 2021-06-15 at 05:42 PM.

Sargeras is destroying Creation cause, after the Dreadlords told him about the Void Lords, and what the Void Lords would do to a World Soul (AKA turn it into a Void Titan), Sargeras was struck with fear and thought that Creation itself was flawed. He talked to the Titans about this, they tried to talk him out of it (Which failed, of course), and Sargeras dipped to Mardum, where he blew up the planet, which resulted in his Body being all Fel-Amped and Demonic, and the Demons being freed from their Prisons.

He's definitely not edgy whatsoever. Hell, he's more like Cosmic Illidan, but more chaotic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    I don't really understand the plot. So the Jailer tries to betray the other Eternal Ones and was locked up in the Maw and given full control over it? How fucking dumb are the Eternal Ones and why didn't they check in on him until the Primus did? I thought he was basically the lock for the place and later on learned how to control his chains and take over the place.
    He was locked...

You see him in Chains during the "Beyond the Veil" cinematic, as well as the Grimoire book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Varithoman the Penitent, who from what I can see is the result of what the Maw is meant to be.
    "Varithoman" seems like a Nathrezim name, to me. Perhaps it's the closeness to Varimathras, though.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7+ Year Old Account
    The Titans also died to the overwhelming might of the Demons. Doesn't really mean much. Doesn't mean the Giants didn't give off a good fight, but still. Zovaal seemed to have dismantled their souls all by himself however, that is unless he used the Mawsworn to stop them, which I don't think is the implication here.
    The Titans died to sargaras not just demons the two really aren’t the same at all.

As to actual power they could be equal or greater sure but I don’t see how this implys that at all as I just says demons with no mention of the many times more powerful sargaras.

Oh, and regarding Sargeras, ever since he saw a glimpse/vision of Azeroth's Titan and her eye, Sargeras was enraptured by her and wanted to destroy and recreate existence with her at his side. Pretty sure the Jewel from the Scepter of Sargeras itself represents Azeroth's Eye.

He was locked...

You see him in Chains during the "Beyond the Veil" cinematic, as well as the Grimoire book.
    He was locked up but the maw shifted to what he wanted. He had full control over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    The Titans died to sargaras not just demons the two really aren’t the same at all.

As to actual power they could be equal or greater sure but I don’t see how this implys that at all as I just says demons with no mention of the many times more powerful sargaras.
    The Chronicle says the Titans died to Sargeras, but...

Then there's this video which has Blizzard imply the Titans just got overwhelmed by Sargeras AND the Demons:

10+ Year Old Account
    Sargeras is destroying Creation cause, after the Dreadlords told him about the Void Lords, and what the Void Lords would do to a World Soul (AKA turn it into a Void Titan), Sargeras was struck with fear and thought that Creation itself was flawed. He talked to the Titans about this, they tried to talk him out of it (Which failed, of course), and Sargeras dipped to Mardum, where he blew up the planet, which resulted in his Body being all Fel-Amped and Demonic, and the Demons being freed from their Prisons.

He's definitely not edgy whatsoever. Hell, he's more like Cosmic Illidan, but more chaotic.
    What you described is literally the very definition of edgy teenager mentality. "I destroy the world for its own good and I am so cool!"

- - - Updated - - -

Sargeras just wanted to save the universe in his own misguided way. The Jailer is what? A guy that borrows power from people and likes torturing people?
    He wanted to save the universe by destroying it! That sure seems like a logic directly out of the mind of an ignorant edgy teenager.
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

7+ Year Old Account
    The Chronicle says the Titans died to Sargeras, but...

Then there's this video which has Blizzard imply the Titans just got overwhelmed by Sargeras AND the Demons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k04sPfHcFDw&t=9s
    I don’t think the lore in short things override chronicles in terms of Canon I don’t think that was ever what they were intended to be.

What you described is literally the very definition of edgy teenager mentality. "I destroy the world for its own good and I am so cool!"

- - - Updated - - -

He wanted to save the universe by destroying it! That sure seems like a logic directly out of the mind of an ignorant edgy teenager.
    Much better than a dude that just likes torturing creatures/people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Much better than a dude that just likes torturing creatures/people.
    He has a job to do, to punish souls that were vile in life. It is a thankless job. He tried to change his job but then he was forced by others to be in his place as a chained slave. Yeah.... he is worse than Sargeras...

Sargeras is what japanese call "chuunibyou" and it seems people love them a lot. Maybe because deep down most people are chuunibyou.