Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    The "but it used to be this way in 80s, so it's how it should be" is just silly.
    Nope, ugly design choices are ugly, and in this case, Apple is the worst of it. Alone the "Taskbar" with thousands of icons that are unnecessary and overloaded, while the whole desktop is unused.
    That's what i call stupid design.

Rounded corners here on the pictures too: they even go so far to round the bottom of the corner of the taskbar just to make it round.

And then the "ugly stuff" on the top: sorry, but i prefer to have one bar with everything and my top free. Just because holy apple does it does not make it a good design.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Can't they just port gnome to Windows and spare us from misery?
    Thanks but no thanks. Gnome is probably the most used, but also one of the most ugly designs that exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    Thanks but no thanks. Gnome is probably the most used, but also one of the most ugly designs that exist.
    Not everyone cares for "beauty" (ignoring the fact that it is pretty subjective) in a desktop design. Gnome has some design choices that make it one of the better desktops out there. It is simple and clean, and by default, it does work. It's does not overwhelm you with customization like KDE or provide no customization like Windows. It is a good middle ground. There is a good set of addons that let you tweak the shell. It is my go-to desktop environment. I have been using it for a decade now, no complaints apart from some bugs here and there.

I got my hands on 11. So its mostly a reskin of Windows 10 for the average user. Almost everything beyond the surface gui level is exactly the same. No doubt a few minor changes will be there but not many of them will affect most people that aren't extreme power users.

Feels like a cash grab that more or less just takes win10 and combines all its updates and then tosses in one or two of the 6 month features patches in at once to get people to pay X amount of money while also giving them an excuse to cut support for 10 later down the road to force businesses and such to do the same. Yeah the gui is a hair different but that's really it. Granted people that rip it up and down will certain find a few differences but for the"99%" out there? Enjoy having a few 100s stripped from your accounts eventually and complain or love the new gui eventualities that come from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Unrelated: That window sizing feature that lets you choose how much of the screen a window fills up is great shit. I do this manually with my browsers on my second monitor (though they overlap), and being able to get them justified without having to move it back and forth to get it on the RIGHT GOD DAMNED PIXEL will be super nice.
    You can already do this by just dragging a window to a side for halves or a corner if you want quarters.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I got my hands on 11. So its mostly a reskin of Windows 10 for the average user. Almost everything beyond the surface gui level is exactly the same. No doubt a few minor changes will be there but not many of them will affect most people that aren't extreme power users.

Feels like a cash grab that more or less just takes win10 and combines all its updates and then tosses in one or two of the 6 month features patches in at once to get people to pay X amount of money while also giving them an excuse to cut support for 10 later down the road to force businesses and such to do the same. Yeah the gui is a hair different but that's really it. Granted people that rip it up and down will certain find a few differences but for the"99%" out there? Enjoy having a few 100s stripped from your accounts eventually and complain or love the new gui eventualities that come from this.
    Nah, there will be a windows 11 free upgrade from 10; this is more of a show-off to say: here, there is a fresh windows. Windows 7 Upgrades still works, and outside of businesses, microsoft even gives often a shit.

The reason is simply: Microsoft wants a big change in the UI, but there are many businesses that wants a LTS-Version of Windows 10; with this, they can radically change the UI, since Windows 10 is still supportet until 2025.

I even believe, upgrading to Windows 11 will be even FORCED upon the user as any semi-annual major Patch before; since this is probably the 21h2-patch of Windows 10; just renamed to 11 for the LTS-Support.

It's more important to keep people in their ecosystem rather than making money with Windows. Simply because cloud is more of a cash maker than windows will ever be again (that said, they will make enough money on governments and businesses). Cloud services are the moneymaker; Office 365, Microsoft Azure and so on, this makes the money, not Windows; and that is true since windows 10.

Heck, outside of a Watermark and having some issues changing the background (but that's what 3rd party tools are for), you can use windows 10 for years and it works.

Sooo what's the difference?
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Yea ill hold off on this one for about 6 months after its out on my main rig. I make too much money off my main pc to chance a Windows fail. Ill try it out on my non primary PCs though.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's more dumbing down, there is no limit.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    We replaced all the teacher macbooks in my district with, I want to say 2018, Macbook Pros. Can't say I'm a fan. Everything you listed (I think I read/heard that they vent heat through the keyboard, which means crumb catchers/key covers just cause more overheating), weird ass hoops to jump through to get the permissions for some hardware/apps to even appear in the security settings in the first place, plus—and this is our fault for being dumbasses—no native video output. Just 2 USB-C ports. Which, great, you can buy hubs, but that's just an extra piece of equipment to purchase, track, and replace.

Even our 6 year old Chromebook have a built in HDMI output. Though, I could write an essay on all the absolute trashbin problems we've had with the Lenovo Chromebooks. Never had a model without a massive design flaw. Something like a third of our entire district's inventory is in a perpetual cycle of warranty repair. Hopefully the switch to ASUS helps with that.
    I could say move to business class notebooks (the old topic about "I moved from 500$ Acer to 1.5k $ MacBook, therefore Windows/non-MBP sucks" comes to mind), but for school that is an absolute overkill, not to mention ultra pricey. Hard to kill an EliteBook, though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

Still no mention of tabbed windows in File Explorer..

I think it looks cool, just let me shift those center screen icons to the left corner next to the start menu button. And let me remove news tiles from the start menu, i dont need that crap there.

Am i seeing it wong but did they put the close X maximize and minimize buttons to the left as green orange red circles? Ugh fucking disgusting. I am so used to them being on the right. Can you set it to right side?

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    Am i seeing it wong but did they put the close X maximize and minimize buttons to the left as green orange red circles? Ugh fucking disgusting. I am so used to them being on the right. Can you set it to right side?
    Thats MacOS

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    Looks like they remembered how lucrative selling a new windows to hundreds of million clients was.
    You do know they are giving it away for free right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    I get that some people like MacOS, but I think both the bottom and top bars are just atrocious. The bottom bar is a pain at times then you have all that unused real estate at the top as well. The bottom is more like a "quick launch" which is what you can do with windows.

With windows I prefer have the bottom bar since it's just one spot and you can even "auto hide it" just like how MacOS operates. With that said the only thing I'm disappointed in is that it is centered like that, but pretty sure something like ClassicShell will be able to skin it and bring it to the left just like they did with the new start menu designing it like the old one.
    Windows 11 will already allow you to move it to the left.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post

Except that they are giving it away for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    I was watching a video on youtube while ago. Its mostly identical to W10... Damn i hate that start menu.
    Good thing I use OpenShell (formally ClassicShell) cause I really hate the tile start menus

Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    Nope, ugly design choices are ugly, and in this case, Apple is the worst of it. Alone the "Taskbar" with thousands of icons that are unnecessary and overloaded, while the whole desktop is unused.
    That's what i call stupid design.

And then the "ugly stuff" on the top: sorry, but i prefer to have one bar with everything and my top free. Just because holy apple does it does not make it a good design.

Like, holy shit.

First:

https://i.imgur.com/zBTVNrF.png

Second:

https://i.imgur.com/U1Ko3up.png

Third:

There's really no difference between menu bar inside app window vs menu bar on top of app window. Also, you know, you can maximize a window if you're so strapped for vertical space and that hides menu bar - https://imgur.com/m6VrqRO Also:

https://i.imgur.com/M7rauw9.png

---

You criticise like a dumb facebook mom.
    Last edited by ldev; 2021-06-24 at 05:51 PM.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Like, holy shit.

First:

Second:

Third:

There's really no difference between menu bar inside app window vs menu bar on top of app window. Also, you know, you can maximize a window if you're so strapped for vertical space and that hides menu bar - https://imgur.com/m6VrqRO

You criticise like a dumb facebook mom.
    If your argument is that you can fiddle with settings to get the appearance you want, why aren't you acknowledging that you've been able to do the same (more, generally) in Windows since Windows 95 at a minimum?

Windows doesn't stack icons into the taskbar by default, where MacOS does.
    The taskbar in Windows can be set to auto-hide.
    Windows has way more options for locating the taskbar.
    The taskbar is hidden if you full-screen any application in Windows.

I get that you prefer MacOS. But the things you're pointing to aren't marks in MacOS' favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If your argument is that you can fiddle with settings to get the appearance you want, why aren't you acknowledging that you've been able to do the same (more, generally) in Windows since Windows 95 at a minimum?
    Because you can't change how Control Panel and Settings look? They both have unique settings and you have to jump between Win 95 style and Win 8 style. What?

Because you can't change how you run nginx - via WSL. So you're either in cmd where cls command works, or in fucking bash, where cls doesn't work and only clear works. What?

I can't "fiddle with settings", come on man - I'm either in Windows 95, Windows 8 or Linux while using Windows 10. Come on man. Come on. Unless you'll show me some settings that enable secret Metro UI popups that replace all Win 95 style pop ups/programs, or some secret setting that magically allows to run nginx or docker in good old cmd.exe...........

Come on man. That's my very valid criticism of Windows - I feel like using a shizo OS constantly jumping between Win 95, Win 8 and Linux. Disgusting.

I'm not criticising default wallpaper like that person basically did to whom I replied. No, I'm not stupid like him. I know I can change it, that's not a problem.
    Last edited by ldev; 2021-06-24 at 06:01 PM.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Because you can't change how Control Panel and Settings look? They both have unique settings and you have to jump between Win 95 style and Win 8 style. What?

Because you can't change how you run nginx - via WSL. So you're either in cmd where cls command works, or in fucking bash, where cls doesn't work and only clear works. What?

I can't "fiddle with settings", come on man - I'm either in Windows 95, Windows 8 or Linux while using Windows 10. Come on man. Come on. Unless you'll show me some settings that enable secret Metro UI popups that replace all Win 95 style pop ups/programs, or some secret setting that magically allows to run nginx or docker in good old cmd.exe...........

Come on man. That's my very valid criticism of Windows - I feel like using a shizo OS constantly jumping between Win 95, Win 8 and Linux. Disgusting.

I'm not criticising default wallpaper like that person basically did to whom I replied. No, I'm not stupid like him. I know I can change it, that's not a problem.
    I don't see how it's a "very valid criticism" at all. Command-line stuff exists in MacOS and Linux, same as Windows. The Windows GUI is more customizeable than MacOS' GUI.

I'll stick to MacOS for work / productivity. I only bought a Windows computer to play games personally. Their UI is much worse but not bad enough where its annoying to launch a game.