Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Season2mask View Post
    Just HOW stupid is that? I've seen no need to change, to be totally honest, and my friend complained about 10 for ages because it was bloated with all this needless crap. It just looks so ugly with all the tiles and stuff. Windows 7 is so simple and just...works. What am I missing here? Should I be on 10? Is it still messy?
    Win 10 is fine. On first boot, DO NOT connect to the internet so you can have a login that isn't attached to an email

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    I know registry editing can achieve this. But that's very inconvenient. It must be a built in feature to give your customers the option not to update. If I wanted to be patronized I would use Mac OS.

And I simply know what to click and whatnot. I've never had a virus/adware/whatelse and I never activated the Windows Firewall anyways (since that thing was such a nuissance when playing over LAN).
    Yes, for business and unexperienced users having updates applied automatically is a wonderful thing. But I am neither. The fact that win 10 does not even want to give me the option to choose whether to update or not combined with the fact, that Microsoft repeatedly put forth "updates" that broke win10 for many users, does not entice me to upgrade when I don't need to.
    uh yep ok you are one of those users... good luck is all I'll say then.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Wacom has several devices....the Cintiq seies is like a second screen that you can draw on. So while it switched on via the HDMI or similar port (and even got recognized as attached) it just always displayed a blue screen and "goes to sleep". Beyond a certain OS version, we encountered similar problems attaching older 20'' cintiq to our MACs at work.

Anyways...couldn't find a solution online and neither could the tech folks that tried.
    Thats a shame. How old was it?

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    It was fairly old..like 7 years old. And a tad outdated at 1280 x 800. But it did the job so it was mostly annoying to exchange a piece of technology that was still doing the job it was supposed to do.
    Thats not a Windows or MacOS issue, its a Wacom issue. They didnt create updated drivers or extensions (.kext) for the older devices. Because they want you to buy a new several-hundred dollar drawing tablet.

One of the few things that comes to mind seeing the OP's post is - Oh, look, one more potential botnet node. *eyeroll*
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

I constantly forget about one important aspect of Win10, that prevents me from migrating to it. So called "anit-pirate" system, that automatically deletes apps from my computer and behave like freakin virus. For example recently we received several notebooks with 10 and KES 11 installed with centralized 2k computers license (so I didn't have activation keys). And that stupid 10 all of a sudden decided to delete that KES on two notebooks. It couldn't fully uninstall KES, cuz KES had self-protection, but completely corrupted it's installation, so KES couldn't be recovered - only reinstalled, then deleted to remove protection and only then reinstalled again. And license was lost during this process. Yeah. Thx 10!

I don't use pirate software, but I don't want M$ to decide what software I can use and what can't. It's mobile crap with being restricted to shop apps. I don't want to have that crap on my desktop.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    I constantly forget about one important aspect of Win10, that prevents me from migrating to it. So called "anit-pirate" system, that automatically deletes apps from my computer and behave like freakin virus. For example recently we received several notebooks with 10 and KES 11 installed with centralized 2k computers license (so I didn't have activation keys). And that stupid 10 all of a sudden decided to delete that KES on two notebooks. It couldn't fully uninstall KES, cuz KES had self-protection, but completely corrupted it's installation, so KES couldn't be recovered - only reinstalled, then deleted to remove protection and only then reinstalled again. And license was lost during this process. Yeah. Thx 10!

I don't use pirate software, but I don't want M$ to decide what software I can use and what can't. It's mobile crap with being restricted to shop apps. I don't want to have that crap on my desktop.
    That sounds a lot like there was something wrong with KES. I've never seen that before unless it was a pirated version, or something else was shady. Win10 Defender is usually pretty good about that stuff and is definitely not overzealous.

Honestly, I'd write it off as "Buy Russian Products, Win Russian Prizes"
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

you want a cookie? Want a pat on the head?

Seriously, W7 users are like vegans. They will tell you they are. No matter if you want to know or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    you want a cookie? Want a pat on the head?

Seriously, W7 users are like vegans. They will tell you they are. No matter if you want to know or not.
    Pretty much, it's giga cringe, really.

Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    The main issue I ran into with the over-the-top Win7-to-10 upgrades a few years ago, and I did about 200 like you did, was machines installed with not enough space in the system partition. Even then it was only about three machines. Two of them were too old, too junky to bother with, and one was an i5 laptop that was worth fixing, so I reloaded it with enough space and it's still working fine to this day.

The main bluescreen issue I run into, and very rarely, is there's some font and Kyocera copier collision that will bluescreen a very occasional file. I just have them print the file to the HP color printer in the branch (employer is a regional bank) or change the font. No issue.

Only other time bluescreens were an issue was the patch that MS themselves put out that f-ed up printing, especially on Kyocera copiers. It's all good now.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, after so many years, MS finally put some work into the core of the OS, instead of the wings, so to speak. And it's paid off.

- - - Updated - - -

Then there's business like the one I work for: banking. You think the bank auditors might be unhappy if we were still using Windows 7 at this point? Yeah. That could get expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, just say that you don't have internet, set up a local user. Most machines I build are going to end up on a domain, anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

He's probably got a bot or two or three on there, and doesn't even know.
    ahh yes i know exactly what you are talking about some strange ass dell formatted system partition that was less than 100mb and fat16 lol

In this case was an HP laptop, but total space was like 10 or 20, or something.
    yeah its a similar things that all OEMs did as they had custom recovery environments for Windows 7. its exactly why i always just fresh install all OEM systems lol Windows 10 especially performs more consistently with a fresh install and not one with 7 OEM partitions lol

Yeah, I just slap new Win 10 on new machines. They have OEM licenses, so they'll activate fine after, and it's quicker off the start to just install them with current revision, then update and get rid of bloatware crap that was pre-installed, and will show up again for any new users. Sure, I can get rid of it, but not as fast as just re-installing windows from a USB3 stick.
    facts lol installing latest build...connecting to internet anddddd done lol after that its just standard app installs

maybe wait a few months for windows 11 or whatever its called

15+ Year Old Account
    Changed from 7 to 10 about 4 months ago as most of the games I'm looking a these days are Windows 10 required. I've not had any issues as I use and used Windows 10 in the past at work.

The only issue I ever had with 10 was on the launch, upgraded from 7 to 10 and it blue screened. So I just went back to 7 until the bugs were fixed. And I changed it over 4 months ago

You're going to have to upgrade at some point if you game. 7 is dead now. May as well get used to it.

I'm using windows 7 too.. not that much interesting on win 10 to my opinion.

No doubt that Windows 7 is great. Though I upgraded it a long ago. While using it Windows 7 I enjoyed a lot.

Keyboard Turner
    1+ Year Old Account
    I'm using windows 10 and it's run perfectly

Mee Too (on Win 7 xD)

10+ Year Old Account
    Win7 rofl. I hope u got pretty good firewalled ur connection.

I thought windows 7 home was pretty great. It was a pretty reliable operating system for me. It is a lot slower than windows 10 though. I use a mod on my windows 10 that makes my start menu look like windows 7's start menu.