Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Selling Tanking Services
    Just one of many MANY examples of why the social environment in classic is better than what is seen in retail.

Thank you everyone, I really do appreciate everyones input. Just to clear a few things up as like usual, a small few didn't even read my post properly and senseless replies.

I do not charge guildies
    I do not charge friends

I did dungeons all day every day with everyone I could find for just short of a week and now I am at the point where I have ZERO upgrades in normals and can only get slight upgrades from Badges. In that time, I was tanking all the time and made no money from world mobs or professions as I boosted to 60 to help my friends. Because of this, the costs of constant repairs which are extortionately higher than dps in most cases and the inability to use any other method to farm gold, I have been steadily losing money from buying drinks/food/repairs and consumables.

So i decided to go and level my professions and try and make some gold. However, i saw in looking for group channel constant begging for tanks and I genuinelly enjoy tanking for people but I was finding myself constantly whispering them saying "invite me, ill tank no problem" and I'd do it. Next thing I know, another hour has passed, still not leveled my professions and the run cost me around 10g. managed to loot a grey shirt worth 2g.

So I though to myself, If groups want me to give up my own time which I could use farming to run a dungeon I dont need, to get no loot as I don't need it, just so they can get back to doing their own gold farming quicker, then why not offer to do it for a small fee. I put a message in Looking for Group saying "Prot Pally, Full BiS Pre Raid gear, tanking any dungeon for you for 30g. Thats when I got whispers calling me disgusting names and people ignoring me.

So that made me come here and ask, whether people genuinely believe that tanks, who often don't need to be there anymore, due to the sheer difference in dps to tanks meaning Tanks will always be rarer should be expected to give up their time take for charity.

As someone said before, tanks do have it harder to make money in the outside world aswell. I see a warrior farming fire motes by killing 7k hp mobs in 3 globals and on to the next one. It takes me 30 seconds for a single mob and the nature of most gold making farms means I can't really gather too many due to sheer numbers of people competing for farm. So I can't even make my money in the world either. So esentially, people want me to do content I dont need, for loot I dont need, to help DPS so they can go and make their own money, leaving me, the tank, completely taken advantage of because "MMO your attitude stinks, you should help me for free"

Thanks again for all the replies guys.
    Last edited by lekzz; 2021-06-16 at 10:59 PM.

Got here very late so forgive me retreading common ground. I would never, and have never pay a tank or any other person to play with me. If I needed a tank, and a tank said "ill do it for XX gold", I would simply say "no thanks" and keep looking, even if it meant I waited 10 mins instead of 5, or 30 mins instead of 10. If other people are happy to pay, and im sure they are, thats none of my business and I dont have a problem with it - I just wouldnt involve myself with such things.

I have healed a couple of dungeons in wrath where it turned out the tank was being paid to run the dungeon, and in both cases it was an absolute clusterfuck - the tanks both had major chips on their shoulders, huge egos, and average at best gear and skill. In both cases I was invited completely unaware that the tank was being paid until it was brought up - once mid run, and once right a the end when the tank who "didnt need any gear" need rolled on healing loot "as payment, since the healer didnt pay me". In the second scenario I was entirely unaware the tank was being paid at all until this moment, and even the dps lost their shit as they had already paid him the agreed amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Got here very late so forgive me retreading common ground. I would never, and have never pay a tank or any other person to play with me. If I needed a tank, and a tank said "ill do it for XX gold", I would simply say "no thanks" and keep looking, even if it meant I waited 10 mins instead of 5, or 30 mins instead of 10. If other people are happy to pay, and im sure they are, thats none of my business and I dont have a problem with it - I just wouldnt involve myself with such things.

I have healed a couple of dungeons in wrath where it turned out the tank was being paid to run the dungeon, and in both cases it was an absolute clusterfuck - the tanks both had major chips on their shoulders, huge egos, and average at best gear and skill. In both cases I was invited completely unaware that the tank was being paid until it was brought up - once mid run, and once right a the end when the tank who "didnt need any gear" need rolled on healing loot "as payment, since the healer didnt pay me". In the second scenario I was entirely unaware the tank was being paid at all until this moment, and even the dps lost their shit as they had already paid him the agreed amount.
    1. Nice font.
    2. In early Wrath I had a DK tank in ramparts, room temp IQ kind of player. Rolls need on cloth shoulders from first boss iirc.
    So I asks him "hey buddy, you're a Death Knight. Why you need them shoulders though?"
    This absolute unit says "I needed these shoulders because I need to vendor them for gold."
    This was after he needed on every single green.
    Fastest tank kick of my life.
    Would I throw 30g at a tank for an insta group for a dungeon as dps? Sure, 30g isn't that big of a deal. That being said, I'm leveling a feral druid to tank my own content. Since I started back in 2006, tanking is the rarest of roles, partially because so many dps and healers treat them like actual trash if they make 1 mistake.

Not to ramble too much but in BC I distinctly remember a draenai prot warrior tanking my Deadmines run. Even with 2+ sunders they couldn't hold aggro.
    I asked her "are you in def stance?"
    She said "No, I have no idea what I'm doing, can you help me for the love of baby Jesus?"
    This turned into a learning experience, and a tank was born that day, when they easily could have quit the game in shame because myself and the other dps were thiiis close to flaming this poor kid.

Moral of the story, don't be a dick if you can help it. Know your worth, you're probably bad and that's okay. I have 0 issues with a tank who mans up and says "Ay, yo. Wtf am I doing here?"
    Just be upfront about things and most social issues evaporate.

I dont know what server yall are on but there definitely isnt a tank shortage on my server. I have yet to give up on a dungeon group for lack of finding a tank..... god forbid you have to look for an entire 7 minutes for one.

There is no difference between offering your services as a tank or a crafter or a gatherer. It's within the rules as long as you only take ingame compensation.

The reason you get backlash is, that you need the 4 other players just as much to complete the dungeon as they do you. So if you want gold just for the fact that you tank they oppose that because everyone is playing the game and neither priest nor mage can tank.

If you want to make gold by tanking you'll have to offer value above normal tanking activities. You'll have to be a better tank than anyone else they get through spamming chat.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Enjoy that next hour wait for another tank while the kicked tank is already done with that run

I’ll show up wearing nothing but a shield and still demand payment and if you want a tank, you’ll pay

It’s that simple. It takes you sometimes hours to find a group. Me? I measure my group hunting time in seconds

That’s why a tanks time is more valuable than any dps or healer
    Until it's time to raid then it's "piss off, mate. We have our tanks. We want some good dps and healers."
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    The reason you get backlash is, that you need the 4 other players just as much to complete the dungeon as they do you. So if you want gold just for the fact that you tank they oppose that because everyone is playing the game and neither priest nor mage can tank.
    This isn't really true though is it.

I dont need the other 4 players at all. I don't even need to do the dungeon. I have my gear, I have my rep and I dont need to go into the dungeon. If 4 people want me to go and do something that is a waste of my own time, and actually costs me gold to do, through repairs, consumables and lost time actually doing something else that would earn gold, then I dont see how they can expect me to do that for free.

Id go as far to say as I think there should be an actual unwritten rule where as long as the tank is good and performs his role well, it should become expected that you should receive a small tip. Just like when you get a portal from a mage, or a gem crafted by an Jewelcrafter. It is expected and assumed you will tip them as this costs them actual gold and time to do something that benefits you.

When I see so many group waiting on a tank that I can't even fully read the message as its spammed off the screen, why is it wrong for me to say .... "well OK, I dont need dungeons, I dont need gear, but if I'm going to go and help these groups out, I'm going to have to stop my own farming or gathering, ill have to waste my own time doing something that doesn't benefit me in any way and it will also cost me gold in repairs and consumable, so I'll ask them for 30g" ends up being 7.5g each.

As I am tanking a dungeon, its literally a fact that it is costing me more to do that dungeon than anyone else. Not only that but I'm leading it, dictating the speed, marking adds, meanwhile everyone else literally press their rotations and thats it. Why is it not common courtesy to tip your tank at the end.

I've played dps my entire life and only started talking when tbc aspic came out, so you can hardly call me biased.
    Last edited by lekzz; 2021-06-17 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    No you dont, this is what people dont understand in games like WoW in the last 15 years, you sacrifice something to do something else.

I tank because i dont enjoy waiting 30mins in a queue system because i have other things to do, i tank because i can pull 20 quest mobs and cleave them down without my HP bar moving most of the time in any expansion, i tank because my time is precious to myself and i dont want it wasted on terrible players anymore, i grew up and i dont have hours to fail around with, if i can do someting in 20mins, i dont have the time or the patience to waste on Little Billy that needs 2 hours to do what i do in 20mins.

So i tank so i can do my daily dungeon 5 seconds after logging on, so i can do my daily quests in 10 mins instead of needing 2 hours every day to do both.

Good players understand when they meet another good player, and when its someone thats willing to tank a lot, which means the others get to have their own version of fun, whether its DPS or healing, they tend to stick around the tank and ask him to tank 24/7.

Any half competent tank has people rotating around him, begging him to do things, especially when its early of any patch cycle.

Therefor a tank does not really need another 4, if it isnt that shitty pug DPS, its one of the 20 DPS on the friend list, likely 100000% better than the random pug DPS.
    Last edited by potis; 2021-06-17 at 07:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can get paid to tank, go for it.
    I would never pay for anyone to come to a dungeon personally though. Come to help or because you need it, but I won't pay you.

Quote Originally Posted by lekzz View Post
    I dont need the other 4 players at all. I don't even need to do the dungeon.
    Then don't do the dungeon.

If you however want to do the dungeon and want to get paid for it you will need the help of 4 other people because you can't run it alone with them on /afk /follow to loot the bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Until it's time to raid then it's "piss off, mate. We have our tanks. We want some good dps and healers."
    A good tank will never have an issue getting a raid group, or even forming one. It isn’t a problem for us

Dps spots are more competitive because there are more of you by 10-1. There’s actually more tank raid spots all things considered than dps

I love how some of the dps classes are shocked, outraged and flabbergasted that a tank would charge for tanking your instance run for you, instead of doing something they might otherwise want to do. I have the LFG channel pulled up the entire time I'm online just to see if the need diminishes while leveling up my tank. It's not. In fact, the demand for tanks has gone up as more people hit 70 (or at least hit Outlands with their fresh Space Goat Shaman or Blood Elf Paladins).

The obvious solution to these outraged dps over the very thought of a tank having the audacity to charge for their services, is to roll up a tank themselves and run those instances for free, out of the goodness of their little, benevolent hearts.

I'll wait for them to do that en masse.

Quote Originally Posted by Molvonos View Post
    That just means healers should be charging these tanks twice what they want from dps.

Because you're not tanking shit without a healer.
    Tanks are somehow in lower supply than healers. I guess there's one extra class that can heal over the tanking role but as of right now, the bulletin is filled with LF1M Tank posts. Healers come 2nd in demand.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

As it's been mentioned a few times I just want to say that the global LFG channel was hands-down my favourite group finding tool. As I was playing a few alts including levelling a tanking warrior and healing druid while my main was a 'lock it was awesome being able to monitor the channel and hop on to other characters if they were needed.

7+ Year Old Account
    That's quite disgusting behavior, and exactly that kind of thinking led to the amount of boosts for ridiculous stuff like "Glory of X" on retail - stuff that in the past was done by the community for free. Capitalism at it's finest ..... *vomits*

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    That's quite disgusting behavior, and exactly that kind of thinking led to the amount of boosts for ridiculous stuff like "Glory of X" on retail - stuff that in the past was done by the community for free. Capitalism at it's finest ..... *vomits*
    It's not that every single tank wants gold for their runs. What's being said is that some tanks are asking for payment to run wherein they'd otherwise not be willing to run whatever instance in question. You've tanks who've run a zillion runs, gotten all their regular instance gear they needed and now they're looking into heroics for better/token work and have little to no interest in the regular runs. What does make them interest is that gold payout, in that at least you have a tank for a run much, much sooner than that group might even otherwise gotten (if at all).

Quote Originally Posted by MechanoDruid View Post
    Yep, WoW Classic is definitely not what it used to be.

People are too selfish these days, don't do anything that doesn't profit them. In old times I (any many other players) used to help out friends and just random players who needed help. Used to spend many days doing stuff I didn't need just to help someone else and had great time doing it.

Today such behaviour is rare. I blame retail mindset for that, where people chase personal achievements, communities no longer exist and everything is measured in reward per hour.

Yep
    Well, let's just have all tanks who have no interest in running instances just not bother, even if they could've done so for the gold. What you've now created is an even scarcer commodity than before MORE scarce. What you also did was create a situation wherein tanks only tank for their friends and guildies and not for pugs due to everyone hounding them for groups.

Congrats. Feel better?

Personally, I like watching the demand be there knowing that when it's my turn to wade into the mess of Outlands LFG that I can pick and choose where and when, then tell everyone else to bugger off if a simple "nah, I'm not feeling like a run right now" won't satisfy their inquiries.

3+ Year Old Account
    Why not, the demand is really high and the supply extremely low. I normally suggest paying 20g to the tank among the other 4 group members. I don't like waiting 20 min to find a tank for a HC daily run.

I play an prot pala, and i dont charge money for dungeons, but i find it total ok. The mage want gold for ports and food, the crafter wants gold, even if you supply the mats. The tanks kill speed is way slower, so he farms slower. His repair bill is higher than the bill from dps/healers. So, where is the problem with an tank, who just dont need the dungeon, charge gold for his time?

And it's not like you have to pay, you just can form your own group with an tank who do it for free.

So, from my point of view, its total ok.