Page 1 of 2
LastLast

IF 10.0 was the end of WoW...

If 10.0 was the end of WoW (It isn't, this is hypothetical) or 11.0, 12.0, 20.0.... regardless, what would YOU do with the last patch to keep WoW going for as long as possible? Would you bring back all of the borrowed power systems at once? Unlock all talent trees? Legendarys for every slot?

What i would do is a dungeon and raid re-organization. WoW has so many great dungeons and raids, and all but the most current go to waste. What if, for the last patch, WoW not only brought up all the dungeons and raids and gear EVER made up to the max level/rank, but organized them into tiers.

Imagine a WoW where every raid ever designed was current content, set aside into very easy (LFR difficulty, think MC) easy, medium, hard, and very hard raids. It would give everyone something to do, a near infinite supply of gear to min/max with, and give the hardcore players real progression ladders again of beating A to get to B... all the way up the ladder until they get to the very hardest raid ever released (whatever that would be).

All they'd have to do is re-balance, reorganize, and tier up all the dungeons/raids by difficulty, make the gear valid forever, and WoW would have an insanely long shelf life without ever releasing new content. That's how i would do "The last patch" of WoW.

What would YOU do with the last patch of WoW to make it all it could be in the very end?

The hardest and longest ever conceived final boss of all time.

Incorporate the AllTheThings addon into the game. Have it set to display everything in the game that can be collected and if you have collected it, with an overall percentage. There will be completionists going for 100%

Id pull a Dalamud on it ala XIV.

Have it last for maybe 3-4 years in development stagnation, with balance fixes etc, but then focus entirley on making the game have this grand ending event, something that leads to the death of wow 1 and the birth of wow 2, an inescapable finale.

Have the champion of azeroth fight an endless army of the void/light that gets progressively more impossible to overcome, over time chars actually get nerfed and your stats get nerfed via patches to make it more epic and feel like a last stand, finally you get a final raid, the hardest in wow's life time, no LFR, no Mythic, no Normal/Heroic, just one nigh on impossible difficulty.

Those that manage to complete it for the year it remains available will get a title, achievements etc, if you get all the char classes to max level, geared, etc, you get a bonus achievement, some legendary ending account wide that serves as the buildup to the next WoW.

It serves as a farewell epilogue to wow and the start of the next journey, you fought to the very end and the champion of azeroth, delayed the inevitable, but could not prevent it forever.

The Eternal Conflict between light+dark finally triumphs and Azeroth is consumed, but in a last ditch effort the people of Azeroth evacuate the planet to far away worlds unknown, and find themselves in another world, another realm, far away, a sanctuary from the chaos,w here they may rebuild, and start again.

Over time the peoples rebuild, the fires of conflict tension and new factions rise in place of the old.

The Alliance and The Horde are no longer the driving forces of the story, instead, factions once seperated by races, are now seperated by ideals.

One that stands for an ideal close to what the Alliance represented a unity of order, where all peoples stand together as a single value and goal, one fist, to stand against the world.

Meanwhile, the other faction represents values similar to that of the anarchic Horde, where multiple ideals stand together to create a chaotic alliance of convinence and mutual survival.

The tensions of war thunder again, and once again, a new world and old peoples are set into conflict once more.

The world has changed, the people have changed, but the war never changes

If you wanna give WoW new life, do a 14, its time for 2.0 or WoW 2 set on a new world, with a new story to bring us back into the vibe of discovery, the new, and the idea of things changing yet feeling familiar.

Really loving these ideas. Keep them coming

3+ Year Old Account
    hope for a WoW: Restart that goes back to Vanilla but with no more retcons and the lore is 100% faithful to Warcraft 3
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardenaso View Post
    hope for a WoW: Restart that goes back to Vanilla but with no more retcons and the lore is 100% faithful to Warcraft 3
    The time for that was classic+, and as much as I think that would’ve been a monumental hit for WoW, the time has now passed

We would have got that instead of tbc classic

Make all items artefacts and players can grind them all out in 4 years or so.
    Always something to do till the players are fed up and quit.

Ideally I would want low-effort, high-impact stuff like events that places old world bosses or even raid bosses in different zones. One week Westfall is invaded by naga so you fill the zone with renamed naga mobs and raid bosses. Do this enough times and you can get some seasonal flair that should keep the game going on low burn for a long time.

Generally I think the solution is investing in similar low-effort stuff that can be knocked out relatively quickly. Retune Onyxia to be a max level raid boss. The actual difficulty doesnt really matter when hte only goal is to stretch the content out.

If Blizzard really wanted to stretch the content to its absolute limits though then implementing a seasonal system similar in spirit to Classic realms where players are invited to partake in old expansion and their systems for brief periods of time. Possibly even combining them in unusual ways. Artifact weapons in SL content, or old-school talent systems in BfA.
    It would take a lot of extra effort, but it would really be stretching the content to its limits for relatively little effort.

- - - Updated - - -

At this point though I imagine WoW will not end until Blizzard is ready to make WoW 2.0, so I cannot imagine the end of WoW to be anything other than a particularly long content drought between expansions.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    If 10.0 was the end of WoW (It isn't, this is hypothetical) or 11.0, 12.0, 20.0.... regardless, what would YOU do with the last patch to keep WoW going for as long as possible? Would you bring back all of the borrowed power systems at once? Unlock all talent trees? Legendarys for every slot?

What i would do is a dungeon and raid re-organization. WoW has so many great dungeons and raids, and all but the most current go to waste. What if, for the last patch, WoW not only brought up all the dungeons and raids and gear EVER made up to the max level/rank, but organized them into tiers.

Imagine a WoW where every raid ever designed was current content, set aside into very easy (LFR difficulty, think MC) easy, medium, hard, and very hard raids. It would give everyone something to do, a near infinite supply of gear to min/max with, and give the hardcore players real progression ladders again of beating A to get to B... all the way up the ladder until they get to the very hardest raid ever released (whatever that would be).

All they'd have to do is re-balance, reorganize, and tier up all the dungeons/raids by difficulty, make the gear valid forever, and WoW would have an insanely long shelf life without ever releasing new content. That's how i would do "The last patch" of WoW.

What would YOU do with the last patch of WoW to make it all it could be in the very end?
    I'd wrap things up for how i would start the next series.

Gone would be the stupid 2 faction rule

So I'd have to write how races like Night elves, blood elves leave the horde and alliance.. I'd probably get rid for the undead too.. they were never meant to last this long.. according to Warcraft 3, their actual lifespan is supposed to be short and they were going to expire soon.. but the minute they made them playable, i knew this would not be the case.

however, undead can always be around because of Necromancers, so i guess they can s tick a round in a minimised capacity.

Truth be told, it depends on how blizz want to shake things up.. wow has forever ruined Warcraft by it's rigid faction style

I'm not sure they have visionaries and story tellers to tell something really different and new overdrive an RTS plot forward. Metzen could have possibly done it, once upon a time, but I think they got so ingrained into the current climate they need a Warcraft fan that is passionate abut can think out of the faction constraint box and follow the lore in a more natural way, rather than seeing it through the lens of world of Warcraft..

Finish the big "main" story and use the vast world(s) they've built to tell adventures of the more grounded type. No need for some ultimate cosmic force. Just...adventures. They can continue having expacs and major patches and raids and whatnot along that vein.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anciena View Post
    Incorporate the AllTheThings addon into the game. Have it set to display everything in the game that can be collected and if you have collected it, with an overall percentage. There will be completionists going for 100%
    I think that's how I would lean in the last months. Yep.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post

It is funny, for back in the days, I thought the final chapter of World of Warcraft would be closed by either the Void Lords or Sargeras shattering Azeroth. This was, of course, my belief back in The Burning Crusade and forward to about Cataclysm where I thought maybe it would be due to a titan device resetting Azeroth, thus creating a new world (WoW2), this lasted till the end of Battle For Azeroth - but with Shadowlands, I am not sure anymore.

I mean, we could still all be reset, and there are still the Void Lords but things feel smaller now after having gone to the realms of Nightmare, Death, Time, Killed one Titan, Banished Sargeras, and traveled to other planets. The world feels small now, and I've said this for a long time. We are put up on the high seats in our world, and now threats feel hollow. Blizzard has given us the big battles so often that a player character could almost feel above petty problems such as Kobolds, or Tiger's teeth. We badly need to be notched back down-to-Azeroth.

Well, there is still a chance for a global reset because the Titans were such huge pricks to not just install a reset button, but multiple.

I deep down still believe that the final patch of WoW (if it was 10.x) was that we would all be wiped and Azeroth would be reset upon the conclusion of the expansion. So, the last patch would basically be a huge buffet of things to achieve, remember, experience. Remove faction barriers for LFG systems to let factions work together if it didn't happen sooner. Make a final race of claiming the last missing things.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2021-06-16 at 09:18 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

IF 10.0 was the final expansion

We return to find Azeroth was corrupted in 9.2 after defeating Zovaal. In 9.3 we must defeat her corrupted form, but in doing so destroy the heart of our planet. This causes us to have to leave Azeroth, as the playing is dying. Dadghar returns in our hour of need to unveil that he had been searching for a new planet in the hopes of stopping the faction war, and has found us a new home. However he could only find planets already inhabited before Azeroth died, and as such in 10.0 we are the invaders, we are the species killing the locals, we are the new invading horde leaving a dying planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Final raid boss is Aln, an Old God who is immaterially connected to Azeroth through the Emerald Dream. He is the Eternal Dreamer, from which realities are born from his slumber.

Kill him and you end the nightmare that was the last 20 years of WoW.

Your character wakes from their slumber to the world as it was by the end of Warcraft 3.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Final raid boss is Aln, an Old God who is immaterially connected to Azeroth through the Emerald Dream. He is the Eternal Dreamer, from which realities are born from his slumber.

Kill him and you end the nightmare that was the last 20 years of WoW.

Your character wakes from their slumber to the world as it was by the end of Warcraft 3.
    Hey, you. Yes, you. I like this line of thought.

I'd like to add that Alliance and Horde shouldn't exist the way they are now. Instead, I'd go with five factions, four from our beloved WC3 plus an additional one, just because I like it

• Old Alliance: Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes and Kul Tirans. Alignment: Lawful Neutral.
    • Sentinels: nelfs, Pandas, Draenei, Worgen. Alignment: Lawful Good.
    • New Horde: Orcs, Trolls, Tauren, Goblins. Alignment: Chaotic Good.
    • Highborne: belfs, Nightborne, Naga, Forsaken. Alignment: Lawful Evil.
    • Scourge: all races (except Forsaken, because it's stupid af), with DK-like models. Alignment: Neutral Evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

I'd hope for Blizzard to just stop trying to make MMOs because it's become abundantly clear they are utterly incapable of writing a good or coherent story. So nothing after WoW made by Blizzard with the current team would be any good at all so they should just stick to things like Overwatch where most people don't care about the story.

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    there is already a boss that literally requires 24 hours to kill. i don't remember the boss names but preach has an old top 5 on raid bosses that has it.

as for me, probably just return to the classic world and have the expansion be a modern homage to what started such a great series.

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    It actually doesn't go as well as you think it would. FFXI tried to do that back in 2006. For 32 hours a linkshell/guild tried to kill a boss, they constantly had to replace people for sleep obviously but for 32 hours straight without wiping... they literally battled this boss for 32hours and couldn't kill it. Except in FFXI when you die you lose exp and can delevel, and when you get battle raised you got a 10min debuff where all your stats were like sickness in wow where you're basically useless.

It wouldn't be possible to do that in WoW, as eventually you'd run out of raises where as in FFXI you could constantly do it aslong as the whm/rdm had MP but then the whole deleveling and rez sickness issue is what made that hard.
    Last edited by OokOok; 2021-06-17 at 05:12 AM.

multi-week battlegroup wide boss fight

akin to Lavos from chrono trigger and it leads into WoW2

Edit: it wouldn't be hard just a massive affair that involves everyone regardless of progression

edit 2: doesn't need to be multi-week either
    Last edited by Shink; 2021-06-17 at 05:21 AM.