Page 10 of 116 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    We'd be in total agreement if you cut the Geo-engineering fantasy-land out and stopped talking about "Creative Solutions", none of this is creative. Its just something we can do right now. Nuclear Power and Carbon Sinks are not fantasy, which half the time is what you keep pushing for. Much to the annoyance of others.
    I support those ideas. They're projects, that's the approach I want. What I'm against is all the Green party restrictions.
    You come off as well into faith territory. Your posts sound like "Don't worry, men in white coats will solve it in the future,
    Nah, everyone should help solve global problems whenever they can, it shouldn't only be men in white coats.
    just carry on and don't think negative thoughts", that seems to be the thrust of where you come from on this.
    Kind of, I'm saying people should take it easy on the climate change-related hyperbole because some readers might take it literally and think civilization and the biosphere are currently standing at the precipice of a catastrophic collapse. It could cause undue life stress for some people, which isn't fair to them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Just to clarify I do take ACC seriously but my claim is that no one should be particularly alarmed by ACC and view it as a special issue. If humans do nothing to innovate and exploit the environment then society will always decline and then die. This has already been the case for all of human history and it must always be the case in the future. After ACC there will be an entirely new ACC and there will always be one after that at larger and larger scales.

Essentially I'm saying ACC is a significant problem but civilization should get used to performing under pressure because ACC won't be the biggest hurdle or the last.
    I love your true sounding wrong posts. Denying that aboriginals exist is a special kind of argument to have.

- - - Updated - - -

It could cause undue life stress for some people, which isn't fair to them.
    Unlike dying of heat which is totally fair to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I think the capitalist, free-market solution to climate change isn't working very well. There should be more focus on going after the big polluters, rather than the general population - yes, the general population as a whole is responsible for a lot of the pollution but I worry that it will only serve to make people reluctant to support such policies and that the change is too slow.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I love your true sounding wrong posts. Denying that aboriginals exist is a special kind of argument to have.
    *shrugs* He's a Trump supporter.
    The actions taken for dealing with the coronavirus and all the attention on the attempted insurrection were overblown and hyperbole...according to him.
    My recent favorite;
    It's too late to say that, my belief system has already worked. The datum of the world shows huge long-term improvement and I'm quite confident that the people saying progress is coming to an end under our current economic system are simply wrong and confused.
    He's always been delusional. But that took typing out with his head completely in the sand.
    Last edited by Shadowferal; 2021-07-05 at 01:13 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    *shrugs* He's a Trump supporter.
    The actions taken for dealing with the coronavirus and all the attention on the attempted insurrection were overblown and hyperbole...according to him.
    My recent favorite;

He's always been delusional. But that took typing out with his head completely in the sand.
    He stays true to himself in being one of, if not the wrongest person on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    United Nations confirms 18.3C record temperature in Antarctica
    The WMO rejected an even higher temperature reading of 20.75C, reported on 9 February last year at a Brazilian automated permafrost monitoring station on the nearby Seymour Island, just off the peninsula which stretches north towards South America.

The previous verified record for the Antarctic continent - the mainland and its surrounding islands - was 17.5C recorded at Esperanza on 24 March 2015.

The record for the wider Antarctic region - everywhere south of 60 degrees latitude - is 19.8C, taken on Signy Island on 30 January 1982.
    (Source)

Welp, its getting a bit heated in places other than the PNW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    In theory, we can utilize carbon-sink technologies to pull carbon back out of the atmosphere.

But we're talking an investment on the order of tens of trillions of dollars, with pretty much zero chance of direct benefit; pretty much all the benefits will be shared by future generations of the planet, not those investing the money.

So while it's "technically possible", I'm not holding my breath while I wait.
    Carbon sinking would not need terrific investment. It would require leaving what's left of natural woodlands and wetlands fucking well alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieson View Post
    One of the major issues in the world. Everyone should take a precautionary step against this issue. We car battery replacement Dubai team have posted awareness boards and hoardings at our office.
    One thing I saw is that it is easy and very visual to point fingers at say, BP, for pumping so much oil. That oil doesn't just go to them, it goes to meeting our demands. Then a lot of people complain when efforts are made to reduce wasteful plastic or reduce their own foot print.

Buying inefficient cars and then using them inefficiently. Complaining when a business switches to thinner/less package, that stuff now feels cheap. Actually using recycle bins. Not telling people to buy smart hubs (Alexas and stuff) but smart plugs lights, themostats can reduce your foot print.

Point is people complain about oil while trying to reduce their use of it.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I feel like humanity's at a point of no return. Maybe it won't affect our or the next generation, but it'll only be worse from now on. The planet will get rid of humans and regrow though. And the cycle will repeat, just a bit differently. That's how I see it at least.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't care for the planet now.

The big climate leaks you need to know about

The heat
    The most alarming news comes from the Arctic Circle. Last year at this time, the region saw the first-ever 100-degree day. Now that record is now ancient history with118-degree days — in the Arctic.

This extreme weather is the backdrop to recent climate news.

Leaked IPCC draft report
    The leaked draft has stronger language than past IPCC reports about the threat of crossing tipping points that would set into motion devastating feedback loops. “The worst is yet to come, affecting our children’s and grandchildren’s lives much more than our own,” the leaked draft reportedly notes. “Life on Earth can recover from a drastic climate shift by evolving into new species and creating new ecosystems. Humans cannot.”

Exxon’s leaked comments
    “Did we aggressively fight against some of the science? Yes... Did we join some of these ‘shadow groups’ to work against some of the early efforts [on climate]? Yes, that's true. But there’s nothing illegal about that,” uttered Keith McCoy, a senior Exxon lobbyist, on camera.

A second Exxon lobbyist, Dan Easley, bragged about Exxon wins under the Trump administration from making it easier to attain permits, to settlement dispute protection in NAFTA, and of course “tax has to be the biggest one... the reduction of the corporate rate... it’s probably worth billions to Exxon.”

The gas leak
    Marine biologist and editor of “All We Can Save” Ayana Elizabeth Johnson, Ph.D., tweeted “you do not need a [Ph.D.] in marine biology to know that drilling for oil in the ocean is clearly a bad idea.” She’s right. I guess the people who build these offshore oil rigs must not have gotten the memo. Or perhaps they’re just paid gobs of money to ignore all common sense and any moral fiber in their bodies?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Exxon’s leaked comments
    “Did we aggressively fight against some of the science? Yes... Did we join some of these ‘shadow groups’ to work against some of the early efforts [on climate]? Yes, that's true. But there’s nothing illegal about that,” uttered Keith McCoy, a senior Exxon lobbyist, on camera.
    That doesn't make it not a tort, especially when you consider Exxon has known about anthropogenic climate change since the 1970s. Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    That doesn't make it not a tort, especially when you consider Exxon has known about anthropogenic climate change since the 1970s. Lol.
    Well there's knowing and then there's doing... :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Well there's knowing and then there's doing... :P
    Like how in addition to knowing about anthropogenic climate change, they've been doing the most to contribute to it through emissions?

Still guilty, so I'm not sure what your point was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like how in addition to knowing about anthropogenic climate change, they've been doing the most to contribute to it through emissions?

Still guilty, so I'm not sure what your point was.
    No point, I am being snarky. Its my coping mechanism for humanity's inevitable demise :P

Record-smashing heat wave kills almost 100 people in Oregon

“This tragic event is almost certainly a glimpse into the future for Multnomah County, Oregon, the nation and the world,” Public Health Director Jessica Guernsey said in a press release.

“The impacts of climate change with heat waves, severe winter weather, wildfires, floods, and other rippling effects are happening now and will happen with more frequency for the foreseeable future,” Guernsey continued.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    "There's only so much GHGs that can be released"

The earth's atmosphere was unlivable by modern beings a long time ago. It was extremely hot (not quite boiling point) with hot seas, and filled with carbon dioxide. The earliest life used CO2 as part of their nutrition, and eventually evolved chloroplasts to use it even more efficiently. The carbon was used by said ocean beings and as they died, they took the CO2 (now in the form of carbonate deposits) with them and settled on the ocean floor and were eventually buried.
    Think the current belief is that the earliest life used mineral deposits for energy IIRC (life as catalyst for exothermic reactions). CO2 metabolism came later (life as catalyst for endothermic reactions).

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Oh, and for fun, at the same time, we lose our crop growing ability in the midwest because of drought caused by global temperature rise.
    It's not likely to be drought (added heat puts more moisture in the air, still gets blown up against the rockies from the gulf, recoils east, combines with colder air from the north [only relative temperatures matter here because dew point is relative to humidity] dumping water). It's more likely to be problems with bad weather ruining crops from the extra energy in the air. Like the straight line winds that ruined 1/5th of iowa's crops last year.

- - - Updated - - -

So no, trying to fob this off as a brown people problem is highly dishonest; things are not getting better if the West's primary method of dealing with emissions is to outsource them to the third world so they can take the blame for climate change as well as suffering its worst impacts.
    It's pretty squarely aligned with his ideology though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/06/b...nnel-plus.html

Later this year, Rupert Murdoch is set to debut Fox Weather, a 24-hour streaming channel that promises to do for seven-day forecasts what Fox has done for American politics, financial news and sports.
    Humanity on this planet is doomed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Humanity on this planet is doomed.
    Humanity is not doomed, not by a long shot. I'm curious, what would it take for you to reverse your opinion? What would you need to see in order to have a positive outlook?

Humanity is not doomed, not by a long shot. I'm curious, what would it take for you to reverse your opinion? What would you need to see in order to have a positive outlook?
    Um, outside suffering severe brain damage, hmmm, even then, we're doomed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Um, outside suffering severe brain damage, hmmm, even then, we're doomed.
    Maybe if we get very unlucky, what's much more likely is just gradual improvement over the decades.