Page 1 of 116
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Global warming may have already passed irreversible tipping point

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure we went past that point like... 10 years a go?

And it's going to bite us in the ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I'm pretty sure we went past that point like... 10 years a go?

And it's going to bite us in the ass.
    Realistically, there's no way to establish where that tipping point may actually be, until we pass it and it's too late. We can make hypotheses about it, and it's likely we're close if not past it already, yes. But it's not really possible to say "yes, the tipping point occurred in mid-2011, on a Thursday".

It's like trying to figure out how much stress a water dam can take. The only real way to actually test it is to keep piling water behind it until the dam actually breaks, and by the time you can see the cracks, the dam's already doomed. Which is why we generally do that kind of testing with models and math and then try and make sure the actual dam never gets close to that point, or is engineered such that the reservoir it creates actually can't get heavy enough to be a problem.

And when it comes to the global climate, well, we've only got the one. If we're past the tipping point, it's going to take geoengineering on the "tens of not hundreds of trillions of dollars" scale for a chance at reversing that course.

Studies like this are just scientists pointing to cracks in the dam and saying "I think this is structurally compromising, unlike earlier cracks?" The only way to confirm is to wait for the dam to collapse and think "yep, we were right" as you're being flooded down the river valley.

Just roll out loads of refrigerators, such an easy solution!

10+ Year Old Account
    We're past that point for over 20years now.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

7+ Year Old Account
    Global warming may have already passed irreversible global tipping point
    Is it scary and frightening? No, it shouldn't scare us because the idea that global warming cannot be reversed is pseudo-scientific nonsense. There's only so much GHGs that can be released and there would have to be an unlimited amount of energy and new GHGs to sustain a warming trend indefinitely. What will actually happen is it'll peak in the future and then the globe will cool as more GHGs leave the atmosphere as we reduce emissions by finding superior alternatives to current methods.

Things will always change a bit in the future but the idea that it must always get worse and not better is inaccurate.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-06-16 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Is it scary and frightening? No, it shouldn't scare us because the idea that global warming cannot be reversed is pseudo-scientific nonsense.
    Actual scientists: We've very likely passed the point of no return and here's the data.
    PC2: Well that's just like, their psuedoscience opinion, man.

Where's your data, bro?

Is it scary and frightening? No, it shouldn't scare us because the idea that global warming cannot be reversed is pseudo-scientific nonsense. There's only so much GHGs that can be released and there would have to be an unlimited amount of energy and new GHGs to sustain a warming trend indefinitely. What will actually happen is it'll peak in the future and then the globe will cool as more GHGs leave the atmosphere as we reduce emissions by finding superior alternatives to current methods.

Things will always change a bit in the future but the idea that it must always get worse and not better is inaccurate.
    "I have no education to speak of but I still expect my baseless opinion to be valued and respected. Bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit." - PC2, 2021

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Actual scientists: We've very likely passed the point of no return and here's the data.
    PC2: Well that's just like, their psuedoscience opinion, man.

Where's your data, bro?
    That's an appeal to authority. There's no data that suggest it's impossible to reverse global warming in the future. In fact science says it's impossible for a planet to warm forever because it would take an infinite amount of new energy and molecules that trap heat on the planet.

That's an appeal to authority. There's no data that suggest it's impossible to reverse global warming in the future. In fact science says it's impossible for a planet to warm forever because it would take an infinite amount of new energy and molecules that trap heat on the planet.
    Yes, geniuous, it obvciously can't warm forever. So let's just throw a number out there, let's say it warms 50 degrees. How well is that going to turn out? How far in the future are we supposed to be able to reverse the effect, and how long are we supposed to survive on our warmed-up earth? Do yourself a favor and stay out of serious topics. Your 'opinions' are embarassing enough when you try to contribute to threads about fictional stuff but here you make me ashamed to be the same species as you.

The good news is: this statement is 100% accurate. The bad news is: one of the BIGGEST reasons we will stop polluting so much is that the human population of the earth will be less than a million, and a million people just can't put out so much pollution. The earth will recover and life will go on.

Eventually the people left will rediscover mathematics and geometry and eventually calculus and physics and once again human knowledge will advance.

You have a way of making things seem SO HOPELESS.

15+ Year Old Account
    Let me tell you the story of Venus and how the people there once thought everything would be fine.

Now it's raining sulfuric acid on Venus, maybe let's try not to test the limits of our planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    "I have no education to speak of but I
    I do but even if I didn't it wouldn't be an issue since I'd just learn whatever I need to know in the current year.
    still expect my baseless opinion to be valued and respected. Bullshit bullshit bullshit bullshit." - PC2, 2021
    I'm not the one pleading for people to respect and value my concerns and implement the government actions I want. If you're happy with the Democrats(or your local leftist or green party) and what they've accomplished on this topic then great, all is well. If not then the onus is on you to make the case that the government should take drastic action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    The good news is: this statement is 100% accurate. The bad news is: one of the BIGGEST reasons we will stop polluting so much is that the human population of the earth will be less than a million, and a million people just can't put out so much pollution. The earth will recover and life will go on.

Eventually the people left will rediscover mathematics and geometry and eventually calculus and physics and once again human knowledge will advance.

You have a way of making things seem SO HOPELESS.
    Wth? I'm the hopeful and realistic techno-optimist here while you are prophecizing doom and mass de-population...
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-06-16 at 08:29 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Yes, geniuous, it obvciously can't warm forever. So let's just throw a number out there, let's say it warms 50 degrees. How well is that going to turn out? How far in the future are we supposed to be able to reverse the effect, and how long are we supposed to survive on our warmed-up earth? Do yourself a favor and stay out of serious topics. Your 'opinions' are embarassing enough when you try to contribute to threads about fictional stuff but here you make me ashamed to be the same species as you.
    A 50 degree warming would be catastrophic to the point of wiping out the vast majority of current life. We're talking about 25 degrees hotter than it's ever been in the past 500 million years, the earth wouldn't even be recognizable compared to now. Some things would survive, life as a whole would go on, but it's extremely doubtful that we'd make it through that severe of a change. Even a long term shift in the 5-10 degree range is crippling to life as we know it. PC2 seems to think that all it means is that we'll need to run our ACs a bit harder in the summer, because he considers any information given by anyone smarter than a rock to be an appeal to authority.

You're such a fake.
    You make such fucked up claims while incoherently spew a belief that science will save us all...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    I'm pretty sure we went past that point like... 10 years a go? And it's going to bite us in the ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    We're past that point for over 20years now.
    Leaning a lot more on the latter number than the former.

- - - Updated - - -

Wth? I'm the hopeful and realistic techno-optimist here while you are prophecizing doom and mass de-population...
    What part of technology in that messed up head of yours doesn't rely on scientific authority?

"We can't predict the future but don't worry about today's problems because the future will fix it". And you are not a realist at all. You suffer from severe biases and fallacies especially optimism bias.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's an appeal to authority.
    No, it's an appeal to their data and analysis.

Meanwhile, you have no data, no analysis, and your arguments are rank pseudoscience that have no basis in reality. It's just climate change denier disinformation.

There's no data that suggest it's impossible to reverse global warming in the future. In fact science says it's impossible for a planet to warm forever because it would take an infinite amount of new energy and molecules that trap heat on the planet.
    For instance, here's you lying about what global climate change means. It does not and has never meant or implied that the "planet [would] warm forever". That's a line you made up, to lie about the science.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah science threads, or as I like to think of them as the "PC2 carousel"

yes the problem will eventually fix itself, given enough time. of course we'll have long since gone extinct by then but your skill in pedantry has increased by 1 and whatever new life eventually evolves might one day find evidence of this thread on the ancient remains of a computer and put it up in a museum with a sign saying that you were correct, global warming did eventually stop and the planet did heal. of course that's all assuming we don't actually make things worse and just blow the damn thing into tiny pieces

most likely though humanity will eventually stop trying to destroy our own home, but it'll probably take generations before there's even any serious attempts to fix things since the majority of people would prefer to pretend the problems don't exist since it won't actually become a major problem for anyone who's yet born and it's far more important to make sure we throw our hard earned money at millionaires in exchange for things they assure us we want and need rather than make sure our great grandchildren can see their own children grow up healthy, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Ah science threads, or as I like to think of them as the "PC2 carousel"
    And as usual he runs away...
    But then like every Trump voter he has nothing.