Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    All those numbers are just speculation. FF14 has never given any numbers for active players and WoW stopped giving them long ago.

    Also @Knight Meta: if you don’t like a YouTube channel or its content then you can tell YouTube that you aren’t interested in such content by opening the context menu for those videos and clicking “not interested” or however it is called. And voilà they will stop recommending those videos to you.

    Also that hatefulness against some of those content creators is cringe.

  2. #22
    You know, if you don't want to see video suggestions from certain channels on youtube, you can click the 3-dot icon that appears if you hover a video thumbnail and click "don't recommend channel".

    As far as the claim that FFIX has surpassed WoW subscribers, that claim supposedly comes from this "news article" that sources mmo-population.com. Mmo-population.com merely estimates the active population based on a variety of factors. The article also divides the retail and classic playerbase and doesn't actually account for whether or not the players are subscribed. Blizzard doesn't even release active subscriber numbers in any official capacity in the first place.

    But honestly, what does it even matter? Neither game is better or worse because it has more or fewer subscribers than its competitors. It's up to each individual player to decide for themselves whether a game is worth playing or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

  3. #23
    That mmo-pupulation.com post would surely matter if it said WoW has doubled it's player base.
    But as long as it claims otherwise, it's irrelevant.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    The numbers claim is coming from https://mmo-population.com/activity.

    Which yes, it's at best an educated guess and not really meant to be taken as fact - of course, all the click-starved gaming news websites and youtubers don't really care about that, as long as they get their clicks.

    With that said, I would say at the present moment it's definitely not impossible for FF to have more active players than retail or classic individually, especially since retail+classic combined still have a lot more.


    Bellular I believe has outright stated that FF is at the moment a better MMO, although WoW still does some things better. With that said for a long time he seems to say more what he thinks will be spicy for the videos than what he actually thinks or makes sense, so combined with 9.1 delays I would take that with a huge grain of salt - but that's just my opinion.

    Asmon I'm not sure if he has played yet, only watched videos on it (including bellular's) and his general position so far is that he doesn't particularly like the art style but overall wants it to be a good game because he believes it's best for games to have competition and to "inspire" each other.
    Thanks for posting that link btw, was a nice list over potential MMOs to try out.
    Bwonsamdi says: Bring me de head of de Horde's warchief, and I be forgettin' all about ya father's bargain.

    Bwonsamdi for warchief!

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFinlot View Post
    That mmo-pupulation.com post would surely matter if it said WoW has doubled it's player base.
    But as long as it claims otherwise, it's irrelevant.
    Nobody cited it when WoW was on top, they just started now.

    Literally the opposite of your argument.

  6. #26
    i honestly don't believe that wow has 115 million total players

  7. #27
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    30,528
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFinlot View Post
    That mmo-pupulation.com post would surely matter if it said WoW has doubled it's player base.
    But as long as it claims otherwise, it's irrelevant.
    If that happened at any other time than an expansion release quarter I'd call BS on that as well. Bad data is bad data. Almost all of these sites that are attempting to judge this are working on incomplete information and assumptions that may have no basis in reality.
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    i honestly don't believe that wow has 115 million total players
    blizzard themselves said they reached 100m players late cata/ early panda, so i wouldnt be surprised... although the site is pure bullshit, they themself say its inacurate so every single of their numbers should be taken with a pinch of salt... hell they put Wildstar, which is dead for years (literaly, no more active servers) at 26k active players

  9. #29
    Why would they? It'll be too embarrassing for them to show
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Biden is a creepy old dude, I will not be voting for the guy.
    ^ This is from a self-proclaimed Trump-hater who goes round vote-policing, berating and insulting other users for expressing their doubts and reservations about Joe Biden. He also urges others to end relationships and friendships just to "vote Trump out". https://ibb.co/2jRnZGC He can't seem to walk the talk himself.

  10. #30
    Why would anyone believe that shit site? Even the registered account number that was publicly released by Blizzard, over 200 million in 2017 or something, is displayed wrongly on that site.
    Last edited by Nask; 2021-06-17 at 09:39 AM.

  11. #31
    [QUOTE=Knight Meta;53236529]So since I watch WoW related content on Youtube (Like Captain Grim, Snackybox and sometimes just play WoW OST's) - Their algorithm is of course trying to shove Spergmongold down my throat by constantly having his videos SOMEWHERE on any of the visible tabs when I look at any video. Being the good boy that I am; I've not clicked in on any of his videos in years but I can still see the titles and as of late; all the rave with him and the fallen from grace Bellulargaming;

    why do you hate on asmon so much? i mean everyone knows that he can be toxic in wow but he is a kind human being which is reflected and humble in real life.

    btw what happened to bellurlar?

  12. #32
    Brewmaster rogoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    in the land of killer unicrons
    Posts
    1,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Yeah and not all but a big part of those numbers would be Diablo 3 and them giving up on Heroes of the Storm, but mostly Overwatch.
    for frame of reference, it's mathematically impossible for them to loose as many 'players' as they have done from those franchises combined, which suggests that the losses have come mainly from WoW, it doesn't take a genius to see why that is the case either.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    What microtransactions? A store mount every six months lmao
    i think your are either wilfully ignorant of the sheer amount of 'microtransactions' in WoW, or are new and as such haven't encountered them yet, either way you're forgetting the sheer bullshit that is server transfers/character customisation/faction transfers along with the myriad other shite they pull to drum up sales.

    retired march 2013 RIP - returned january 2016, purely because paladins finally get Ashbringer!

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zora-Prime View Post
    Nobody cited it when WoW was on top, they just started now.

    Literally the opposite of your argument.
    Incorrect!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Not that I trust theses numbers but Just from a quick google, it would be number 3.
    Wow 1,621,302
    2007scape 1,506,278
    Ffixv 1,157,813
    https://mmo-population.com/

    If you mean popularity every site I checked had it at 3 or even lower normally behind elder scrolls.

  14. #34
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuusah View Post
    All those numbers are just speculation. FF14 has never given any numbers for active players and WoW stopped giving them long ago.

    Also @Knight Meta: if you don’t like a YouTube channel or its content then you can tell YouTube that you aren’t interested in such content by opening the context menu for those videos and clicking “not interested” or however it is called. And voilà they will stop recommending those videos to you.

    Also that hatefulness against some of those content creators is cringe.
    Yea if that worked, I would stop getting videos from the long faced guy and the balding one. But nope, YouTube keeps recommending them to me for some odd reason. The height of WoW YouTube I watch are raid tactics.

    I don’t hate them specifically, I just hate all youtubers that try to pass their opinion as fact or say something spicy just for click bait.

    IMO, the true cringe is putting their opinion higher than anyone else’s.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Wrong topic, mate.
    Nah, the question was "where does blizzard show their official player numbers"
    And the answer is:
    They dont, nowadays all they care about is microtransaction revenue. (which is forever growing in this p2w game)

    Since microtransaction revenue is the only metric they publish for wow, eg how much money did the game make versus number of subscribers.


    What microtransactions? A store mount every six months lmao
    Tokens, boosts, thousands every day. It's what's keeping the company afloat.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Incorrect!
    Props on finding a 2 year old, sub 1 page thread. However, the FFXIV players in that very thread are calling the data inaccurate.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Zora-Prime View Post
    Props on finding a 2 year old, sub 1 page thread.
    What does it matter? Your claim was that no one ever cited the website while WoW was on top

    Quote Originally Posted by Zora-Prime View Post
    However, the FFXIV players in that very thread are calling the data inaccurate.
    Incorrect again. 1 poster, who might be a FF player or not, is calling it inaccurate. And if anything it reinforces the point of the person you were replying to: (some) people will cite it when it supports their argument, and question its accuracy when it doesn't (the poster defending WoW cited the data, the (potential) FF player questioned it).
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2021-06-17 at 10:07 AM.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    What does it matter? Your claim was that no one ever cited the website while WoW was on top



    Incorrect again. 1 poster, who might be a FF player or not, is calling it inaccurate. And if anything it reinforces the point of the person you were replying to: (some) people will cite it when it supports their argument, and question its accuracy when it doesn't (the poster defending WoW cited the data, the (potential) FF player questioned it).
    obviously it matters when the only thing to show for is a 1 page thread, 2 years ago, where people are debating it's accuracy...

    Anyways bro, it is inaccurate whether WoW, FFXIV or anything else is at the top.

    This is how they calculate their stuff.

    "By combining online social activity, sentiment tracking, public statistics, rankings and more MMO Populations estimates the total subscribers, players and active daily players for the top MMOs. Above is the total number of tracked players by the sit" - mmo-population.com

    It's junk...

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Zora-Prime View Post
    It's junk...
    Well, to be fair it's likely more accurate than anything else out there, and particularly more than the main other reasoning behind such opinions which tends to be not much more than "I feel X is more popular than Y" =P

  20. #40
    Elemental Lord Lahis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    8,369
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    i think your are either wilfully ignorant of the sheer amount of 'microtransactions' in WoW, or are new and as such haven't encountered them yet, either way you're forgetting the sheer bullshit that is server transfers/character customisation/faction transfers along with the myriad other shite they pull to drum up sales.
    Well technically none of those are microtransactions... each of those services cost more than whole ass games. Nothing micro about that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •