Question about Mouseover Macros

I've seen so many folks using the mouse over macro to do plenty of things, but never really delved in too deep into it. How do they work? For example, I'm a Paladin in TBC, how would I make a mouse over Maceo to reapply buffs when someone asks and how do they work?

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [@mouseover] Spell

That is the basic mouseover macro. Just placing your mouse over a valid unit and then hitting the key the macro is on will cast Spell onto the unit.

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [@mouseover,help][] Spell

This is the "standard" mouseover macro for any spells you would use on friendly units. The "help" conditional will prevent the macro from trying to cast on unfriendly units just in case you have your mouse on one. The empty brackets [] is a macro idiosyncrasy that always evaluates to true, which allows the Spell to cast as if it wasn't a macro and just on your bars if the mouseover part fails. This typically ends up casting on your target or on yourself if you don't have a target, and some hostile spells will target the nearest enemy and cast on them, at least on retail.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Does the mouse over aspect of the macro remove the need to click the person? Just select the macro, mouse over (hence the name) of the person and the game does the rest?

Quote Originally Posted by Diatribe View Post
    Does the mouse over aspect of the macro remove the need to click the person? Just select the macro, mouse over (hence the name) of the person and the game does the rest?
    @mouseover targets the person under your mouse at that time.

So you move your mouse over the person and then click the macro.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [@mouseover] Spell

That is the basic mouseover macro. Just placing your mouse over a valid unit and then hitting the key the macro is on will cast Spell onto the unit.

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [@mouseover,help][] Spell

This is the "standard" mouseover macro for any spells you would use on friendly units. The "help" conditional will prevent the macro from trying to cast on unfriendly units just in case you have your mouse on one. The empty brackets [] is a macro idiosyncrasy that always evaluates to true, which allows the Spell to cast as if it wasn't a macro and just on your bars if the mouseover part fails. This typically ends up casting on your target or on yourself if you don't have a target, and some hostile spells will target the nearest enemy and cast on them, at least on retail.
    That's [] part is clever. I wasn't aware of those. My macros are a lot longer.

/cast [@mouseover,help,nodead][@focus,help,nodead][@target,help,nodead][@player,help,nodead] is what I usually use. It'll prioritize my mouseover target if it's friendly and alive. If not it'll go to my focus target. If neither my mouseover or focus are valid targets it'll my target. If I have none of those or they're all hostile it'll go onto myself. So when healing I typically make my tank my focus. So I keep my mouse over no one and it'll go my tank focus. Anyone I mouse over, even myself, will get them. The [@player...] part is unusual but is a mandatory part, the macro simply won't work without it.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    That's [] part is clever. I wasn't aware of those. My macros are a lot longer.

/cast [@mouseover,help,nodead][@focus,help,nodead][@target,help,nodead][@player,help,nodead] is what I usually use. It'll prioritize my mouseover target if it's friendly and alive. If not it'll go to my focus target. If neither my mouseover or focus are valid targets it'll my target. If I have none of those or they're all hostile it'll go onto myself. So when healing I typically make my tank my focus. So I keep my mouse over no one and it'll go my tank focus. Anyone I mouse over, even myself, will get them. The [@player...] part is unusual but is a mandatory part, the macro simply won't work without it.
    [] should cover both @target and @player since that is the default spell targeting behaviour.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

I would just get a raid frame addon like vuhdo where mouseovers are much easier to navigate and see in a clumped mess of players.

Quote Originally Posted by marulol View Post
    I would just get a raid frame addon like vuhdo where mouseovers are much easier to navigate and see in a clumped mess of players.
    Mouseovers work just fine on Blizzard's own frames. You can mouseover a player in the world, their nameplate, the player/target/targettarget/focus frames, the default party frames, the raid frames, and even the boss frames on the right.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet