Returning to ffxiv. New or old character?

I used to play ffxiv during ARR start. Got myself one of the artifact weapons (or whatever they were called in game). I lost interest in it afterwards.

Now with all the talk about FF and me being bored, I was feeling like maybe I should try it again even if I remember why I quit it.

If I were to do so, should I make a new character? Try all the stuff that has changed? Get the feel back.

OR

Should I continue with the old character?

I dont remember much of the story and I'm pretty sure I have nothing particularly interesting on that character. If I did make a new one, I would have to do the main quest line again, but I have been told its made easier. As for time wasted, I have no intention of doing any end game stuff, so slowly going through the story content again doesnt really matter since thats my content. I always liked to go through old questing in wow too over and over again when I created alts.

This is a truly personal decision. For my part, the lack of continuity would bother me too much to start fresh. But, if you're truly here just to go at your own pace, experience the story, and have no investment in that relic... may as well start over.

Another option is accessing the New Game+ feature to redo any MSQ you'd like to.

If you roll on a preferred server you can get double xp for 90 days on all jobs until they hit level 70 which is huge if you plan on leveling them all. That's probably the most efficient thing to do if you plan on sticking the game out.

3+ Year Old Account
    I would do a fresh character. ARR was long ago. Chances are neither your rotation nor the story is in your mind. Better to do from zero.

If you don't remember the story and you're only playing for the story just start a new character, if nothing else you'll have more race options.
    ARR won't blow your socks off *Insert titan arc meme here* but it sets up the world and the majority of the recurring cast. They've also removed most of the pre-HW busywork they hastily added to buy time for HW's development when the game was an unexpected hit so escaping ARR takes way less time now.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

So... I went to look at what story quests I have to do to progress. I found I have to do some hardmode trials along the way? I remember how annoying and shitty they were to do in ARR. I have no intention of subjecting myself to those again. They were the major reson why I quit the game.

Do you have to do those?

Tbh, it might have been a good idea to look at those guides before making this thread and asking. Since, if the answer is yes, there is no way I will play the game.

Hard mode in the context you're talking about just means fighting them again at a higher level it's not actually 'hard' (like heroic or mythic) it's the mandatory LFR story mode.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    So... I went to look at what story quests I have to do to progress. I found I have to do some hardmode trials along the way? I remember how annoying and shitty they were to do in ARR. I have no intention of subjecting myself to those again. They were the major reson why I quit the game.

Do you have to do those?

Tbh, it might have been a good idea to look at those guides before making this thread and asking. Since, if the answer is yes, there is no way I will play the game.
    anything you are forced to do instance wise for the story is now faceroll easy. but yes, you will need to do those instances. hard mode is not hard mode, it just means higher level for that given expansion

hard mode trials are power crept to the point of most bosses dieing in less then 3 minutes

I remember hardmodes being wipefests and looking for groups for hours. The actual fights being single mistake, wipe. These have been nerfed completely then?

I remember hardmodes being wipefests and looking for groups for hours. The actual fights being single mistake, wipe. These have been nerfed completely then?
    Utterly. It would take some form of active effort to fail.

you remember wrong. they were never that tight or hard. you might be thinking of extreme trials.

hard mode trials are easy enough you would kill them with everyone hitting only 1 ability over and over and not moving.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Compared to how they were at the start of ARR, the "hard" trials that were around back then are a complete joke now.

I don't remember if they specifically nerfed the fights, but just the combination of class power creep and everybody being item level 130 when they get shoved into those trials (which are intended for like item level 60) makes them super easy.

I get flashbacks from hardmode titan. I'm hoping i'm mistaking some difficulty level here. That was required for the relic weapon I wanted. Just like everyone else. The entire area where people waited to get group for it was filled with people. Everyone wiped there and only select few groups could pass it. You had to memorize the entire fight or a single mistake would kill you. If you died, there was likely no longer enough dps to kill the boss before everyone died.

This was very early in ARR. I dont think any new content had been released by the point I quit.

Well... I might give it a go.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    you remember wrong. they were never that tight or hard. you might be thinking of extreme trials.

hard mode trials are easy enough you would kill them with everyone hitting only 1 ability over and over and not moving.
    Titan, Garuda and Ifrit hardmodes at the very start of ARR were not like this. Were they super hard? No, but for random groups they could absolutely cause trouble. I remember most groups demanding a minimum amount of max HP for Titan just because it was relatively rough on healers.

I get flashbacks from hardmode titan. I'm hoping i'm mistaking some difficulty level here. That was required for the relic weapon I wanted. Just like everyone else. The entire area where people waited to get group for it was filled with people. Everyone wiped there and only select few groups could pass it. You had to memorize the entire fight or a single mistake would kill you. If you died, there was likely no longer enough dps to kill the boss before everyone died.

This was very early in ARR. I dont think any new content had been released by the point I quit.

Eh, if it's any kind of solace to you, whenever I get Titan (or any of the ARR "hardmode" trials) in my Trials Roulette, I'm actually happy because they're like done in a minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

i mean, if ure group all stands in landslide ure gonna wipe lel

A lot of the people rouletting have secondary stats coming out of their arses, which makes these bosses easy, at best, somewhat boring, at worst. It'll be a breeze.

Ya'll in ARR titan was insane. You could not burst him down by outgearing him so you had to his full mechanic rotation and after breaking the heart he was BRUTAL on healers lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    "Help Me Choose" type threads don't tend to produce much in the way of constructive discussion or debate. Closing this.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead