Looking to build a new PC

So i think ive saved up enough money for a new PC
    and i need everything

Budget 2100$ (USD)

Resolution: good? sorry dont know what i should be aiming for

System Purpose (gaming, workstation, HTPC, etc) Gaming

If a gaming system, what games and settings are desired? survival games (grounded Valhiem, or base building Satisfactory)

Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) no

Do you plan to overclock? no

Preferred Stores / Sites: None

Parts that can be reused: is this asking if i have parts on my current PC? if so then no

Do you need an OS? yes, windows 11 seeing as i wont start buying until the end of july

Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? i need 2 Monitors, keyboard, mouse and speakers

thank you for your time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sfbr View Post
    Resolution: good? sorry dont know what i should be aiming for
    Whatever you want. Are you satisfied with 1080p? Do you want 1440p? 4k? Or are you insane and want 8k (At which point you need a bigger budget to account for the monitor)

Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? i need 2 Monitors, keyboard, mouse and speakers
    Is this part of the budget too? Or a separate one?

Also, it's worth noting that GPU pricing is fuuuuuuucked right now, and has been for a long time, and will continue to be for a long time. It might be worth getting a pre-built, or even a laptop in the current market

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Whatever you want. Are you satisfied with 1080p? Do you want 1440p? 4k? Or are you insane and want 8k (At which point you need a bigger budget to account for the monitor) 1080 or 1440 is fine, id lean to the 1440 if price isnt insane. i do not need 4k or 8k

Is this part of the budget too? Or a separate one?

Also, it's worth noting that GPU pricing is fuuuuuuucked right now, and has been for a long time, and will continue to be for a long time. It might be worth getting a pre-built, or even a laptop in the current market

1080 or 1440 is fine, id lean to the 1440 if price isnt insane. i do not need 4k or 8k

as for price and peripherals, it can be separate, they dont tend to get to expensive so its not a big deal.

and i can not work with a laptop, never enjoyed gaming on them. and why would pre built win out over custom build? is it just a price thing? i figured custom always has the longevity that pre builts tend to fall short in.

10+ Year Old Account
    and i can not work with a laptop, never enjoyed gaming on them. and why would pre built win out over custom build? is it just a price thing? i figured custom always has the longevity that pre builts tend to fall short in.
    You'd want a pre built over custom since OEMs can actually get GPUs, while you yourself can't (outside of paying scalper prices). Though you can still go with boutique builders to get as-custom upgradability

Id recommend NZXTs BLD service.

They are off-the-shelf parts, like you built it yourself, and you can specify which parts. They charge MSRP(ish on the GPUs, but NOT scalper prices) + 100$ (50$ to build and 50$ to ship).

What GPU you can get will depend on which day and time you hit the website (as they sell out the site is updated rapidly) but they have been pretty good about stocking 3060 & 3070s.

(im recommending this because Temp already covered the whys of why building yourself is a nightmare right now)

Edit:

For instance, this is just a bit over 2100$ and a lot better than you can do on your own:

https://nzxt.com/build/66d23812-3acb...7-1c08d5380bcd

i5 10400F
    16GB of 3200Mhz RAM
    Z590 MoBo
    RTX 3070
    Seasonic PSU
    NZXT H510 case
    WD 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD

for another ~180 you can kick it up to an 8-core i7.

Just because of GPU pricing, you're not going to get too close to that on your own.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2021-06-18 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yeah, no.

Your absolute idiocy never ceases to amaze me. I have no idea how you walk and breathe at the same time.

This an issue with one case. That they issued a recall for. And stopped selling.

But, yes, one isolated issue (that they handled as professionally as any company) should totally disqualify them forever from everything, despite their other cases winning multiple awards, their customer service and warranty service being top rated, industrly leading comprehensive warranty, etc etc. By your criteria, you cant buy from anyone. Every major company has had bad parts or machines. Many worse than that issue.

Your assisted living facility needs to curtail your internet access.

And yeah, ill take the infraction. Sometimes the stupid needs to be pointed out, regardless of the consequences. Letting it go just leads to more of it permeating the discussions.

Infracted - There are better and easier ways to point out issues with a debate without being insulting.
    Last edited by chazus; 2021-06-19 at 11:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    But, yes, one isolated issue (that they handled as professionally as any company)
    It's worth noting that they stopped shipping out the correct riser and instead went back to sending out the faulty one too..
    https://youtu.be/SY4mBkB3CDw

ok, so moving past that. no NZXT for now, got it.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best place to get it from would probably be a boutique builder like Maingear, Origin, Digitalstorm, or similar

They will be more expensive, but they put a lot of care into their systems, and I haven't heard any complaints outside of the price, which is less of a factor in the current market.

You can also go with a local shop, but we'll have no real way of gauging quality before you buy

Some I'd really stay away from though, would be HP, Lenovo, Dell, and those guys. They're really bad about using upgradable components, and seem to almost try as hard as possible to use proprietary options whenever they can

ok so im on maingear, and im looking at

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    Founder’s Edition
    • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
    (8 Cores/16 Threads)
    • 16GB HyperX Fury RGB
    DDR4 3600MHz (2x8GB)
    • 512GB Intel 660p M.2 NVMe SSD
    • 1TB Seagate HDD

first i have NO CLUE what that says, just being honest, but i know i want solid state, the SSD and i click on configure and im not getting the option to change that. should i just buy a 1 tb SSD after? and is that a good pc to run everything on ULTRA!!!!

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (8-Core) 4.7 GHz Turbo
    ASUS PRIME X570-P / MSI X570-A Pro (AMD X570) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
    16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
    600W Digital Storm Performance Series (Supports up to an NVIDIA RTX 3060 Ti GPU)
    1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 EVO)
    1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
    High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
    1x GeForce GTX 1650 4GB
    Integrated Motherboard Audio
    H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)

this pc is priced at 2207, the other is priced at 2100, over all is there a difference? excluding the SSD, so many brands so many options is not helping me, i really dont want to get ripped off.

10+ Year Old Account
    That digital storm one is awwwwwful. Hoooly fuck. It ships with a 1650, like what the actual fuck, Digital storm? I feel kinda bad for saying to look at them now, that's ridiculous

The two primary things you want to look at are CPU (In this case both are Ryzen 7 5800x), and GPU (Maingear offering a 3070, and Digital storm offering a 1650).

As long as they're from the same brand (Intel / AMD for CPU, and Nvidia / AMD for GPU), you can pretty easily look at whichever one has the highest number, that one will probably be the best. They're generally split into 2 worthwhile numbers, the first digit, and the second non-0 digit. If the first digit is the same, a higher second one will mean that is more powerful. If you have different first digits, you can (generally) drop the first digit one point for each point the second digit goes up and expect equivalent performance

- - - Updated - - -

first i have NO CLUE what that says, just being honest, but i know i want solid state, the SSD and i click on configure and im not getting the option to change that. should i just buy a 1 tb SSD after? and is that a good pc to run everything on ULTRA!!!!
    At 1080p? Yes, at whatever framerate you're after pretty much
    at 1440p? Probably, if you're fine with 60fps. It'll probably do higher on most games, but the most demanding ones you might be stuck at ~60-90

First off, thank you for taking the time to help someone as brick headed as me to figure out what to buy, thank you.
    this is what i came up with using the maingear website (truthfully i did not need to change much)

Graphics Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070

Processor:
    AMD RYZEN 7 5800X - 8-Core - 3.8 GHz (Boosts to 4.7 GHz)

Cooling:
    MAINGEAR EPIC - 240mm Liquid Cooling

Motherboard:
    MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI - MATX

Memory:
    8GB HyperX FURY DDR4 3200MHz (2x4GB)

Power Supply:
    EVGA 500W B

Operating System:
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home

M.2 NVMe SSD | Slot 1:
    1TB Intel 670p Series M.2 NVMe SSD

M.2 NVMe SSD | Slot 2:
    1TB Intel 670p Series M.2 NVMe SSD

Now this offers windows 10, windows 11 drops soon will upgrading cost me money? should i hold off? this build lands me 400 over budget thats ok, my funds are flexable (ill hold off buying new monitors and use the ones i have same with speakers and keyboards)

and can this play most/all games on ultra?
    able to play games running the unreal engine 5? (the two questions are separate if i need to run settings on unreal engine 5 lower than ultra im ok with that)

10+ Year Old Account
    8gb is technically enough if you just plan on gaming, but I'd step it up to 16gb. I'd also get a 650/750W PSU instead of a 500w one. 500w is, again, probably enough, but I'd rather a larger one to be safe.

Upgrading to win11 should be free.

There aren't really any games out using UE5, but it'll depend heavily on how the game is made rather than the engine it uses that picks how much eye candy you can use

ya i do plan on doing other stuff, so i upgarded the power and the memory

Memory:
    16GB HyperX FURY RGB DDR4 3600MHz (2x8GB)

Power Supply:
    EVGA 750W SuperNOVA B2

puts me over 2500, but thats still fine, i saved 3x what i wanted to spend as a buffer (and i like saving money) so im being picky on cash just because.

so after that upgrade, Temp Name, would you consider it a good pc? i do plan on learning code (python) and attempting to make a little game one day, ONE day. so i want to make sure that my PC can handle some things. (not going to play in UE5, that scare the hell out of me im still learning all this PC stuff)

ok, so moving past that. no NZXT for now, got it.
    /facepalm.

Thats the takeaway? Cool, spend more on less, your money to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    /facepalm.

Thats the takeaway? Cool, spend more on less, your money to burn.
    look im not trying to get into it with anyone, as it was pointed out there was a faulty issue, it was fixed then unfixed. i am new to ALL OF THIS, i can not risk setting money on fire. and i dont want to go toe to toe against a company for a refund, because i doubt ill win.

so for safety reasons, i will not be looking at NZXT.

So, you're saying add up the digits. 3060 adds up to 9 and 2070 adds up to 9, so they're the "same".