Page 1 of 22
... LastLast

Flying really does make the world lose any sense of danger

TBC is my favorite WoW expansion by far but I'm definitely one of those people that now contend flying is one of the worst things ever added o the game.

I get why people like it and enjoy it but, it also really destroys the feel of the world.

I'm now in Shadowmoon Valley, all these big scary fortresses with hundreds of elite guards and barricades and towers.... LOL jk just fly directly over them none of the monsters seem to notice or care.

Land in the middle of their fortress, kill the boss, fly out.

What's the point of building a big outdoor fortress with thousands of elite guards if anybody can just zip in? Flying really does destroy the "feel" of the world. It's just way too safe and way too convenient and way too solitary.

I really think they could have done a better job implementing a much more limited flying system, one that gives you some of the pros without all the cons.

Oh man another anti flying thread

Flying is only unlocked when you've already won the outdoor game. I don't want to have to progress through a game I've already beaten.

Well said. Flying takes the rpg out of it for most circumstances as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    TBC is my favorite WoW expansion by far but I'm definitely one of those people that now contend flying is one of the worst things ever added o the game.

I get why people like it and enjoy it but, it also really destroys the feel of the world.

I'm now in Shadowmoon Valley, all these big scary fortresses with hundreds of elite guards and barricades and towers.... LOL jk just fly directly over them none of the monsters seem to notice or care.

What's the point of building a big outdoor fortress with thousands of elite guards if anybody can just zip in? Flying really does destroy the "feel" of the world. It's just way too safe and way too convenient and way too solitary.

I really think they could have done a better job implementing a much more limited flying system, one that gives you some of the pros without all the cons.
    I still think it's one of the best things ever added to the game, i still remember unlocking my netherdrakes fondly, and still love them.

However i do agree that the implementation as-is is very lacking,and not at all in line with the way it was originally presented (which was more akin to the vehicles system later added jn WotLK).

It seems to me like they just gave up on it around cataclysm, sadly enough. I've dedicated an entire thread to various proposals for fixing it.

But that said: to experience the world in flight, that is still one of the best additions WoW has ever had, in spite of all its shortcomings.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    Flying is only unlocked when you've already won the outdoor game. I don't want to have to progress through a game I've already beaten.
    I get what you're saying, but if you do most of the quests in every zone you ding 70 before you ever set foot in Netherstorm or Shadowmoon Valley.

Maybe instead of just dinging 70 they could have also required you beat a few key quest lines in both of those zones to unlock it first. After you've "completed" all the zon

It's just kinda sad that Shadowmoon Valley is built as this extremely intimidating and hostile zone but flying trivializes all of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    There is still plenty of danger with how dense the mobs are and how undergeared people are

Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post
    Oh man another anti flying thread
    ....pretty sure there have been more threads crying about NOT having flying immediately than anti flying threads so yeah your "another" is unwarranted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    Not in BC. It most certainly isn't, which this is in the Classic section.

10+ Year Old Account

So don't fly. Keep your immersion and sense of danger.

Of course, like everyone who whines about flying, you won't do this.

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    Not in BC. It most certainly isn't, which this is in the Classic section.
    Yes, I did know that. I can read. I don't care if you think it's different if you don't wish to offer an argument. You can't just tell someone they're wrong and expect any kind of positive response. Thanks for the mansplain, though.

Getting a mode of transportation that makes travelling around the map much easier is common for end game in RPGs where you don't just always have fast travel. I literally don't understand that complaint.

MMO isn't single-time single-player game, where whole game is about exploring, navigating, solving puzzles, finding secrets. It's long term game. You play it for weeks, months and years. When you do the same quest/WQ for 100500th time - artificial obstacles become annoying and drive you away from game.

The best example - compare it with riding to your work through rush hour traffic jams. What would you prefer?

This?

Or this?

Your job - is what matters. Your route from home to your job and back doesn't. Because you do it every day, so you suffer from "cookie cutter" effect - you no longer notice, what's around you. You just want to get to place, that matter to you, as fast, as possible. That's it.

What bugs me, is that many players, who play MMO, are people without imagination. What they do in fantasy world - is the same, they do in real life. We are so limited in our real life. We want to have more opportunities. But all of a sudden when fantasy world allows us to do it - we reject it. We want difficulties, like if our real world wouldn't provide enough of them. I just can't understand it.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2021-06-19 at 05:13 AM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

When they started timegating flying in later expansions, all I wanted to do was fly when I dinged max level. I hope they #change it if those expansions get re released.

You don't feel the danger?
    Come play Alliance on a pvp server. You will feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
    ....pretty sure there have been more threads crying about NOT having flying immediately than anti flying threads so yeah your "another" is unwarranted.
    They are probably not just including the threads from this site during this (BC Classic) time period. They are probably going off how many threads they've seen over the course of years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    What bugs me, is that many players, who play MMO, are people without imagination. What they do in fantasy world - is the same, they do in real life. We are so limited in our real life. We want to have more opportunities. But all of a sudden when fantasy world allows us to do it - we reject it. We want difficulties, like if our real world wouldn't provide enough of them. I just can't understand it.
    People want to live cushy nice lives then come to video games and live out their fantasies of being a woodsman surviving off the land fighting through swathes of enemies
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

15+ Year Old Account
    Flying is the best thing to save time and avoid frustration. Don't fly if you don't like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    WEH I HATE FLYING
    *gets on 280% flyer*
    IT RUINS MY IMMERSION!
    *zips to the next Fire Elemental mob*
    THERE'S NO SENSE OF DANGER
    *mounts up*
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

It's funny, I remember dropping onto an elite, realizing I wasn't going to be able to kill it, and then not being able to escape because I flew in and am now surrounded by mobs that I didn't clear. Or realizing that I don't have room to avoid certain attacks and pulling adds. Then again, this was 2.0, not 2.4.3, so it had the original balancing where we weren't as powerful as you TBC classic folks are.

Huh, I wonder how much that has to do with it.

Oh, and you're completely ignoring how at risk you are for the opposite faction dropping down out of the sky and killing you. Yeah, flying really made the world less dangerous. Okay.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    People want to live cushy nice lives then come to video games and live out their fantasies of being a woodsman surviving off the land fighting through swathes of enemies
    Because MMO is more like "career" game, than "surviving" one. There are many players, who play wrong game, but don't realize it. It's game about dragons and magic, not about being caveman, who kills mobs with his wooden stick to survive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    It's funny, I remember dropping onto an elite, realizing I wasn't going to be able to kill it, and then not being able to escape because I flew in and am now surrounded by mobs that I didn't clear. Or realizing that I don't have room to avoid certain attacks and pulling adds. Then again, this was 2.0, not 2.4.3, so it had the original balancing where we weren't as powerful as you TBC classic folks are.

Huh, I wonder how much that has to do with it.

Oh, and you're completely ignoring how at risk you are for the opposite faction dropping down out of the sky and killing you. Yeah, flying really made the world less dangerous. Okay.
    Problem is - there is another element of bad game design, that causes exactly this. Making world too small to compensate lack of flying, so way too high respawn rate is needed. It's pointless to clear mobs around boss, if they respawn instantly, lol. So, as clearing that mobs is pointless anyway, flying helps a lot with avoiding this broken game mechanic.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2021-06-19 at 05:57 AM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Who forced you to fly to the middle of the fortress and kill the boss?

Flying doesn't take anything away from the game. It's a convenience factor. Stop mistaking tediousness for challenge. If you want a "Real MMORPG" experience in game, hit ALT Z and walk everywhere.