Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    Hey.

Sorry for "Blog" post as some might call it, Please do skip it if these sort of threads annoy or "Offend" you in some way.

I want to play TBC, I want to Enjoy TBC.

But for some reason seeing all the 280% mounts and full BiS geared (Mages who already have all the tailoring pieces)

Just makes me feel stressed out and "Behind", like "What's the point?" "I'm never going to be good enough, since i'm so slow"

But I don't know why i feel like this, I did not feel like this at the start of 2019 Classic or back in Original TBC.
    Also, 5k gold isn't anything to acquire. Tons of people had waaaaayyyyy more before classic ended. People know how to farm and work the AH now, most people didn't back then. And then there are guides... that have been around forever now.

Hey.

Sorry for "Blog" post as some might call it, Please do skip it if these sort of threads annoy or "Offend" you in some way.

But for some reason seeing all the 280% mounts and full BiS geared (Mages who already have all the tailoring pieces)

Just makes me feel stressed out and "Behind", like "What's the point?" "I'm never going to be good enough, since i'm so slow"

But I don't know why i feel like this, I did not feel like this at the start of 2019 Classic or back in Original TBC.
    Don't stress about it. You are already behind and done IF you ever wanted to join semi HC / HC guild.

If you plan to just play chill, ignore the sweaters. I have the same issue for FOMO. The problem is finding a nice casual raiding guild. Those are as rare as unicorns.
    Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Ps: and remember you could never win the race. Minmaxer sat on 10000+ botted gold minimum from their GDKP Naxx runs. They started BC at almost lvl 63 on top of that.

10+ Year Old Account

I feel the same 100%, and it is a big reason why I didn't even attempt modern TBC, I just know I won't be able to put in enough effort to stay in the middle of the pack.

During original TBC I was clueless but so were a lot of other people so it was never an issue. The gaming mentality has changed during these years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    Ps: and remember you could never win the race. Minmaxer sat on 10000+ botted gold minimum from their GDKP Naxx runs. They started BC at almost lvl 63 on top of that.
    How did they do this? Saving high-exp quests for release?

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
    Yes the people you're playing with in an Mass Multiplayer game shouldn't affect you at all.

It's not that simple, community affects these games whether you claim it doesn't (for you) or not. And being cognizant of this player generated FOMO doesn't really help it, once you're behind, even your own friends tend to leave you behind because their time is now monopolized by the bigger things in the game. It IS stressful, and catching up like you used to when being extremely op and ahead was considered the nerdy sweaty thing to do (having once been a nerdy sweaty above average player and seen the other side) rather than 'efficient and proper way' is ...well yes, it's going to cause undue stress to those who do want to play the game slower but still succeed at finishing raids or pvp goals.

People are on this forum to talk about the game and the problems or good surrounding it. I suggest you take a walk to the therapist if you can't see where the differences in pace set by the community have changed the games surrounding culture.
    I don't know what you're talking about. The op clearly says they are stressed when they see someone with 280% mount. I don't think that's normal behavior for a person and I don't think it has anything to do with the game itself or its community.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I feel the same 100%, and it is a big reason why I didn't even attempt modern TBC, I just know I won't be able to put in enough effort to stay in the middle of the pack.

During original TBC I was clueless but so were a lot of other people so it was never an issue. The gaming mentality has changed during these years.

- - - Updated - - -

How did they do this? Saving high-exp quests for release?
    Yep. Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Also completely false. Both for vanilla and TBC. There's always people running/pugging the "older" content.

The sweaties that speedrun everything and only do the latest content are 1% of the server population, not 99%.
    I could agree with you for retail version. But this time in tbcc, looks like once calm tbc servers became very sweaty and most population is suffering from FOMO and rushing. I didnt have that feeling for Classic, but now even finding casual guild on lowest pop eu pve isnt an easy task.
    I didnt fall for that trap and starting leveling all my classic alts slowly and I dont even care if I will be raiding ever again. This pace whole server is following is just too fast for me, especially now during summertime vacation and pandemic ending.

play for fun, not for competition.

if you want to compete then get to grinding or dont compete at all.

options are limited.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    You have to make peace with the fact that some people have a lot of time available to play and focus on you enjoying the game with people that play at a similar pace. Or if you have a lot of time, well .. get better? I have made around 9k gold since tbc launched and I have a single char that I play.

Do you also get depressed when world firsts are achieved? Cause that is very similar. There always were and always will be people who get ahead. When guilds like Nihilum and D&T were scoring world firsts in original tbc, most people couldn't clear heroics.

[COLOR="#417394"]- - - Updated - - -[/COLOR.
    Big difference is there is a lot Nihilums and D&Ts these days, a lot compared to those times. You see that in discords, server chats and wowhead frontpage. It all gives an impression of overall sweatyness of whole servers, at least to me.

I am just interested are normal casual players from those times became sweaties these days or only sweaties are attracted to tbcc.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    What changed is that you think you gotta live up to some standard others set and that's forever changing on top. Just relax, make your own groups/guild/new friends and have fun. Same is true for retail.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumkin View Post
    If you fall behind on gear/attunements you will have a much harder time finding groups later on, so you basically have to keep the same pace as the server community
    I can tell your right now that the majority of ANY server does not have full bis and you won't be falling behind on any gear. Also this statement is insanely false, people will always level alt and go back to finish older raids for upgrades they might not have gotten yet. This is not retail where new content invalidates older one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    I'll never understand why people keep treating WoW like it's some kind of competitive race to "beat the game" as fast as possible.

It's not retail, it's not designed to be rushed through and cleared asap, it's designed to be a slow and steady journey. Stop treating it like a speedrun.
    Well when you can buy a pass to the end, it absolutely is a race. And anyone who thinks it isn't never played back in the day. When you're the only poor sap with no gear guess who doesn't get invited to dungeons, or raids, or guilds, or anything. It's 100% a struggle if you fall behind in older WoW. It was a big reason you couldn't take a break from it. You would fall behind.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Hey.

You probably weren't even aware of how far behind you were in original TBC.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not about them "Beating" me it's more about "Not being good enough in the eyes of the people"

This is my general perception of the Min/maxers that control the group invitations "Scoffs, You've not even gotten "X Y Z yet" how dare you think you are worthy of being here"
    Then be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Monolithi View Post
    Big difference is there is a lot Nihilums and D&Ts these days, a lot compared to those times. You see that in discords, server chats and wowhead frontpage. It all gives an impression of overall sweatyness of whole servers, at least to me.

I am just interested are normal casual players from those times became sweaties these days or only sweaties are attracted to tbcc.
    Unless you invent a time machine it is what it is .. just focus on the more casual players instead.

I wouldn't say it stressed me out, but seeing the raids cleared day 1 defiantly killed the buzz. Like, I guess it just de-validated the content. I knew it wasn't going to be hard but I thought it'd last a week or 2 so seeing it all just fall over devalued it for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    WoW is the only similar game like this though, at least along the more popular games. FF14 doesn’t do this. ESO doesn’t do this. Most other games have adopted evergreen designs where content never gets deprecated and there isn’t much to miss.
    More often than not, the "I'm feeling behind' syndrome has less to do with content and more to do with gear. The two were more related in TBC but the effects are pretty widespread across the game. I agree with you that in WoW it's a major cause of stress for some more than in some other MMO's.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    More often than not, the "I'm feeling behind' syndrome has less to do with content and more to do with gear. The two were more related in TBC but the effects are pretty widespread across the game. I agree with you that in WoW it's a major cause of stress for some more than in some other MMO's.
    I get what you mean, but in the case I'm making the content and the gear are intertwined. For example, there is a decent, progression-oriented reason to run virtually all of the content in the game in FF14 until you are at the very end of the gearing spectrum. WoW tends to deprecate everything except the most recent patch content as far as progression rewards go.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Well when you can buy a pass to the end
    A level 58 in greens is not "the end" though.

And anyone who thinks it isn't never played back in the day.
    Playing since 2007, lmao

When you're the only poor sap with no gear guess who doesn't get invited to dungeons, or raids, or guilds, or anything.
    Ah yes, because 99% of the population is in full raid gear and never ever does any content other than the latest raid.

Wait, no, you're thinking of retail, not TBC.

It's 100% a struggle if you fall behind in older WoW. It was a big reason you couldn't take a break from it. You would fall behind.
    "fall behind"
    Again, I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that 99.9% of every server is sweaty tryhards that have cleared everything and are in full leet epix.

Because that's not true at all.

I had been looking forward to TBC Classic, even though a part of me knew I'd never have the time to actually play it, but now I see that it's nowhere near the TBC that I played all those years ago. Just looking at the DPS meters tells me that it's a completely different experience -- different specs, different strengths, easier everything.

I loved TBC and Wrath and I would love to play them again, but TBC Classic is not TBC. Wrath Classic won't be Wrath. Starting with the final-patch class tuning just ruins the whole raid experience.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems a lot worse in TBC than in Classic that's for sure. Sure you had private server veterans who had everything mapped out already but nowadays seeing soo many people running around in T3 and you know they're all holding 1000s of gold it just really kills the drive. But for me I took classic casually and that isn't changing in TBC. I'm even more behind since I leveled a BE on a fresh server and am only 63 but I'll take it slow and enjoy the journey to 70, get my epic mount and dip for the inevitable Wrath Classic that I'll participate more in since it was more "casual" friendly. Good thing 9.1 is dropping soon too. Don't sweat it OP there's at least 2-3 years of this you'll get everything done if you really want to.

not everyone in t3 was loaded I think I managed to farm up about 700 gold going into bc, I didn't really grind that much gold in classic enough to buy raid consumables and enchants but thats it.

everyone is behind depending on which class your main is, my warrior is my main, so everyone that has levelled a priest, mage, warlock, pala, hunter rogue or druid is ahead of me with that class. but you are probably ahead of them with your class.

likewise you can't really get left behind when there is only tier 4, you have x amount of months to get as much t4 as you can and prepare for p2 and t5. do the attunement quest lines. if there are 2-4 more months of this you have time to get ready for the next phase. in the same way that you had enough time to farm molten core before bwl came out. its the same again, the phases space the content out enough so that you have time to farm one before the next. you'll still be running t4 even when p2 comes out. its really not a big deal unless you were hoping to be world competitive. the only thing that matters is your guild because they are the ones you're progressing with.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2021-06-21 at 11:27 AM.