Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    There appears to be two types of people in this thread.

Those who think we should pre-emptively come up with a solution and stop the damage before it gets out of control.
    or
    Those who think we should keep fucking shit up while having faith that in the face of annihilation some scientist will come up with a solution out of necessity to save everyone.

I know what the sensible solution is, but the second option definitely creates better drama. It would make for some great entertainment for the aliens watching us so they can be like "that was a great season finale of the human show, but unfortunately they canceled themselves so we'll have to watch something else now."

Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

It's usually the ones that are convinced they're "saving the world" who are the ones ending up fucking it up for everyone else.
    You watched too many TV shows.

10+ Year Old Account
    carrying capacity of the planet reduced to a fraction of what it sustains now

got a harder question?
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    so what I mean by that is the world has forests (among other things like deserts, mountains, etc) and wild animals.

What if humans completely destroyed or upended all the forests and other uninhabitable wild areas in favor of making golf courses and resorts and captured and dislocated all the animals for zoo exhibits or entertainment? And at the same time, humanity killed off most of the insect population because they felt it was unpleasant.

What kind of consequences would we be looking at in this scenario?
    It would be a dull and faster-dying world, and if there are life forms out beyond our reach, they would laugh at us unless they have done the same stupidities. I already cringe when I see more houses built where there are plenty of houses still for sale.

Sometimes, one could wonder if Thanos were on to something, though, the method should be more controlled so we do not waste more resources getting rid of the right people, and keep the wrong people.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    It's not that we must destroy ourselves it's that we are and the window of opportunity to salvage practically all life on this planet is rapidly closing.

You cant adapt your way out of everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes but they bring oxygen from earth... if society collapses that place is their tomb.
    Moreover adaptation is not necessarily always improvement. Like on some level humans will adapt to survive global warming thats simple already in the cards but it won't be pretty.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

15+ Year Old Account
    photosynthesis
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

It's usually the ones that are convinced they're "saving the world" who are the ones ending up fucking it up for everyone else.
    So say by not killing off huge chunks of the sea by flooding them with pollution your doing more damage then the people that are?

You really think that’s how it works?
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    It would be a dull and faster-dying world, and if there are life forms out beyond our reach, they would laugh at us unless they have done the same stupidities. I already cringe when I see more houses built where there are plenty of houses still for sale.

Sometimes, one could wonder if Thanos were on to something, though, the method should be more controlled so we do not waste more resources getting rid of the right people, and keep the wrong people.
    Well, don't leave it a cliffhanger. Do tell who are the 3.8 billion untermenschen who deserve to be butchered for greater good?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Well, don't leave it a cliffhanger. Do tell who are the 3.8 billion untermenschen who deserve to be butchered for greater good?
    Ugh, derailment of the topic, but I would guess members of who directly harming human society. Shouldn't be too difficult to guess then.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

7+ Year Old Account
    Ugh, derailment of the topic, but I would guess members of who directly harming human society. Shouldn't be too difficult to guess then.
    And who determines what people cause the harm?

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    And who determines what people cause the harm?
    Commonly known to human societies, these places are called courts. They are operating based on written laws that members of human society are expected to follow. Some people under sections of these laws are commonly flagged by elected members called judges, and followed through by a selected jury, to announce these people to be harmful, destructive, or downright dangerous to the human society they are part of. I was writing it as basic as to include every nation as each has their own handling of these laws, I take it you understand such? On said list would be deliberate murderers, mass murderers, mass rapists, serial assaults, and the likes.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2021-06-21 at 09:16 AM.

I'm afraid you might have to specify, since we're talking about 3.8 billion people. "Well terrible criminals for example" ok, and who else? Probably still around 3-3.5 billion left to choose who are the right people, as you say, for termination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    I'm afraid you might have to specify, since we're talking about 3.8 billion people. "Well terrible criminals for example" ok, and who else? Probably still around 3-3.5 billion left to choose who are the right people, as you say, for termination.
    The right people for termination would be said people that are judged harmful, destructive, or dangerous to human society?

Do read the previous comment if you have further questions.

As well, my statement was that the idea of a fictional action by a fictional character in a fictional world does sound like a good one if it was more controlled and not a waste of resources. Never fully stated it had to be half the population. Nor have I stated it should be an action to be taken, as I am one person, and one person may hold a belief, an idea, does not need to mean a conclusion of action like such that needs more than one person to handle, which is where Thanos faulters as well.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2021-06-21 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Edited due to misread

We're already doing it. This isn't a "what if." Last I heard, plastic is set to outnumber fish in the ocean by 2050? Can't imagine that will be good for the photosynthesizing algae that provide the majority of our oxygen.

We'll either fix it or die.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    so what I mean by that is the world has forests (among other things like deserts, mountains, etc) and wild animals.

What if humans completely destroyed or upended all the forests and other uninhabitable wild areas in favor of making golf courses and resorts and captured and dislocated all the animals for zoo exhibits or entertainment? And at the same time, humanity killed off most of the insect population because they felt it was unpleasant.

Everything is connected. The trees, insects, and animals. The soil, the oceans, and the sky. It is all needed to sustain life on this planet. If we eliminated 1, the rest would follow. We would all die in a matter of time as we would lack the resources to sustain life.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

It be such a boring fucking world.

Animals and nature bring so much joy.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account

I guess its nice that "humanity" is so united in purpose, too bad that purpose is the end of the world.
    /s

Science-fiction..
    Last edited by Rozz; 2021-06-27 at 06:38 PM.

If mankind destroys all wildlife, nothing good will ever come of it. We will gradually begin to die, because it will affect all areas of our lives. The problem is not only the trees, which produce oxygen, but also the fact that along with the trees and grass, many animals will die. I think there will be total starvation in the world and we will gradually return to the Stone Age.

5+ Year Old Account
    We wouldn't have any dogs to pet and love.
    Animals/dogs bring so much joy into our lives.
    Puppies are man's best friend.