Warhammer Online Return of Reckoning

Randomly came across a video posted a week ago showing of its revival;

Might be worthwhile to give it a shot? Dated graphics, but eh! We got Classic WoW enthusiasts and what not.

Last edited by Daedius; 2021-06-22 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Randomly came across a video posted a week ago showing of its revival;

Might be worthwhile to give it a shot? Dated graphics, but eh! We got Classic WoW enthusiasts and what not.

This pserver has been running successfully already for a couple years

Yeah love that the devs or the small amount of fans working on the game is still putting out updates and keeping it alive.

One of my favorite games the PvP is just a blast and the classes are a ton of fun.

Would be awesome of they found a way to update the engine too but i reckon that would be a shit ton of work.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Yeah love that the devs or the small amount of fans working on the game is still putting out updates and keeping it alive.

One of my favorite games the PvP is just a blast and the classes are a ton of fun.

Would be awesome of they found a way to update the engine too but i reckon that would be a shit ton of work.
    It is indeed very fun I ve been playing it on and off. The way this game does pvp is unlike any other. I did not play it on live but I dont exactly know why it failed. A more graphically modern version of this game would be pvp heaven for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    This pserver has been running successfully already for a couple years
    Oh, didn't realize it was a private server... XD

Will still give it a try. I've quit WoW for good and am currently looking for another MMO to play casually.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Oh, didn't realize it was a private server... XD

Will still give it a try. I've quit WoW for good and am currently looking for another MMO to play casually.
    Yes it is technically a private server but the owners of the server have permission from the developers/owners and the agreement is they can not make profit off the game at all. That is why its free and there is no cash shop or any money transactions. They do allow donations directly to the guys running it but that's to offshoot the cost of running the server.

Probably had the best designed classes in the entire genre, kind of a shame EA just fucking axed it. Iirc they didn't even attempt a F2P model, they just wanted WoW numbers, didn't get it so pulled the plug.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Yes it is technically a private server but the owners of the server have permission from the developers/owners and the agreement is they can not make profit off the game at all. That is why its free and there is no cash shop or any money transactions. They do allow donations directly to the guys running it but that's to offshoot the cost of running the server.
    Pretty much everything you stated is wrong.
    Last edited by vian; 2021-06-22 at 03:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Probably had the best designed classes in the entire genre, kind of a shame EA just fucking axed it. Iirc they didn't even attempt a F2P model, they just wanted WoW numbers, didn't get it so pulled the plug.
    Yeah,was kind of a ridiculous move from them

"Our MMO didn't suddenly become #1 in a very short timespan in a very competitive market (MMOs were huge at the time)? lmao ded game"

It's some reddit-tier logic

Indeed... words cannot express how much I love playing the Frontline healer spec of warrior priest (grace)

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    Yeah,was kind of a ridiculous move from them

"Our MMO didn't suddenly become #1 in a very short timespan in a very competitive market (MMOs were huge at the time)? lmao ded game"

It's some reddit-tier logic
    It’s more likely they were hemorrhaging money as unlike games like wild star or rift they didn’t own the Ip and were apparently paying a hefty license fee.

Given that the game only shut down when it came time to renew the licensing agreement they likely just couldn’t justify the cost with the game doing poorly.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

It got killed after its terrible launch pretty quickly. They didn't even try a proper F2P model, just some semi-moba spinoff re-using assets that never took off called Wrath of Heroes. EA mishandled the shit outta the game, but Mythic also wasn't the greatest developer around either. They have great ideas, but much like Funcom usually have terrible execution of their ideas. The game was missing classes at launch (like the Hammerer) and IIRC launched without the promised capitol cities. Mythic eventually closed down after their Ultima/Avatar spinoff game did a whole lotta nothing, not even the BioWare-Mythic branding could save them.

F2P became more of a "thing" years after launch, but at that point it was dead enough that a full F2P transition likely wasn't worth it. EA was just running out the clock until the terms of their license ended, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It got killed after its terrible launch pretty quickly. They didn't even try a proper F2P model, just some semi-moba spinoff re-using assets that never took off called Wrath of Heroes. EA mishandled the shit outta the game, but Mythic also wasn't the greatest developer around either. They have great ideas, but much like Funcom usually have terrible execution of their ideas. The game was missing classes at launch (like the Hammerer) and IIRC launched without the promised capitol cities. Mythic eventually closed down after their Ultima/Avatar spinoff game did a whole lotta nothing, not even the BioWare-Mythic branding could save them.

F2P became more of a "thing" years after launch, but at that point it was dead enough that a full F2P transition likely wasn't worth it. EA was just running out the clock until the terms of their license ended, probably.
    Yeah, I think we have to lay some blame on Mythic here and not entirely EA. They overhyped all these awesome classes pre-launch and then just didn't release them at launch like Hammerer and Black Guard (which I was really looking forward to). They also just flat out excluded all capital city siege features aside from Empire and Chaos. Initially, each race was supposed to have a fully fleshed-out capital city with it's own siege system tier.

Was still a fun game, but lacking in many departments. I followed its development for 1.5 years pre-launch and was really excited for the game, but man it was a huge bummer. Still makes me sad to this day.

15+ Year Old Account
    I absolutely loved this game when it released. It wasn't without it's faults, but what game is perfect, right? I still have the physical collector's edition on a shelf somewhere!

I didn't know this (legal?) private server existed, so will definitely be giving it a go

Quote Originally Posted by druchii5 View Post
    Yeah, I think we have to lay some blame on Mythic here and not entirely EA. They overhyped all these awesome classes pre-launch and then just didn't release them at launch like Hammerer and Black Guard (which I was really looking forward to). They also just flat out excluded all capital city siege features aside from Empire and Chaos. Initially, each race was supposed to have a fully fleshed-out capital city with it's own siege system tier.

Was still a fun game, but lacking in many departments. I followed its development for 1.5 years pre-launch and was really excited for the game, but man it was a huge bummer. Still makes me sad to this day.
    The classes that came a little later were fine. The issue was that the end-game was all pvp until the city was taken and then suddenly it was pve. Was really awkward considering so many people lean one way or the other. Not to mention faction inbalance was nasty.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vian View Post
    Pretty much everything you stated is wrong.
    I would suggest reading for yourself about it. The server has been up and running for several years now. Dyox was the main developer for WAR and tried to start the private server once the official servers went offline but couldn't devote the time so he simply released the code online and a team put the servers online for people to enjoy about 9 months after the official servers went offline. Those who run the server for RoR now are former WAR fans who wanted to continue the game they so loved. It has no cash shop what so ever and never has or will. It charges no monthly fee and never has or will. Where I was mistaken is I remembered there being a donate to the server monthly fee directly but apparently I was remembering incorrectly. Because they don't own the IP and were/are running what is technically a private server, they could/can not make $$ off the IP without getting sued. Where I was mistaken was they allowed people to donate directly to the server host to help pay the monthly fee since that would mean the people running it received no $$ directly off running the game. That is where I remember incorrectly.

Warhammer Online: Return of Reckoning Wiki stating the history of the server
    Last edited by gaymer77; 2021-06-23 at 06:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    That is where I remember incorrectly.
    So yes, pretty much everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    I absolutely loved this game when it released. It wasn't without it's faults, but what game is perfect, right? I still have the physical collector's edition on a shelf somewhere!

I didn't know this (legal?) private server existed, so will definitely be giving it a go
    Well worth it, played it for a while if you liked it back then you will like it now. They changed the tiers so there is Tier 1 for the new characters, where as T2, 3 and 4 are all paired together and you get scaled up so you wont be as strong but it will not be the same poor experience you had at max level and low RvR and that makes it a whole lot better.

They also tweak and balance classes, also changed some skills and try to make it more balanced. Faction balance is what it is.

They have a lot of weekend events for bonus RvR, gearing is not too bad still a grind but not too worse than what it used to be.

But hey it is free!
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by vian View Post
    So yes, pretty much everything.
    Don't educate us or anything, just say 'ur wrong LOL' and be a smug cunt about it, that's the winning ticket.

EDIT: And yeah I hated WoW PvP, and love WHRoR PvP. I can't quite explain nit.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    Don't educate us or anything, just say 'ur wrong LOL' and be a smug cunt about it, that's the winning ticket.

EDIT: And yeah I hated WoW PvP, and love WHRoR PvP. I can't quite explain nit.
    Yeep, that's exactly it.