1. #1
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    17,057

    PSUs Available - I feel like I'm missing something...

    My brother is building a system, and I'm trying to help him cut down on gosts. I explain that he doesn't need a 900w Gold PSU for a regular gaming system.

    So I go to look for a nice Seasonic Bronze ~650-700 unit and.... there aren't any? The cheapest 500w+ Seasonic unit is Gold/Platinum, only. Is this a seasonic marketing thing or are Bronze Power supplies just ... not available due to supply/demand right now?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  2. #2
    @chazus I click on your required specs as filters and find quite a few in stock. Even a few bronze Seasonics if I add them to the mix.

    https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007...000%2050001697

    650w Bronze

    https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-s12i...82E16817151228
    Last edited by Vegas82; 2021-06-22 at 03:26 PM.

  3. #3
    Not sure how closely you've been following the market but we've been in a Power Supply drought since before Covid and it hasn't let up.

    Whenever there are droughts or limited supply, manufacturers tend to focus moreso on the high-end parts and less on the middle/low-end because they know everything they make will sell. Just take a look at the GPU fiasco right now.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavebossa View Post
    Not sure how closely you've been following the market but we've been in a Power Supply drought since before Covid and it hasn't let up.

    Whenever there are droughts or limited supply, manufacturers tend to focus moreso on the high-end parts and less on the middle/low-end because they know everything they make will sell. Just take a look at the GPU fiasco right now.
    Chazus has a problem finding what he’s looking for sometimes. Really no clue how he couldn’t find what I did in 30 seconds though.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavebossa View Post
    Not sure how closely you've been following the market but we've been in a Power Supply drought since before Covid and it hasn't let up.

    Whenever there are droughts or limited supply, manufacturers tend to focus moreso on the high-end parts and less on the middle/low-end because they know everything they make will sell. Just take a look at the GPU fiasco right now.
    Crypto currencies [mining] is a god damn plague.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2021-06-22 at 03:34 PM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Crypto currencies are a god damn plague.
    Except he can buy the part he wants right now for $65.

  7. #7
    I am Murloc! Atrea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    5,637
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Crypto currencies [mining] is a god damn plague.
    Why is one use of a piece of equipment more valid than another?

    If I am a cannabis grower and I buy up all the mason jars at the hobby store, for me to cure my cannabis, is it right for the lady who makes jam to talk about cannabis enthusiasts as if we are "a god damn plague"?

    (Cannabis cultivation and use is perfectly legal here.)

    Do you get mad at people who use baking soda for cleaning too?

  8. #8
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    17,057
    I probably should have clarified, I was looking for either Semi or Fully Modular units, which there usually is some bronze available. I may have to get a non-modular one but yeah, I'm finding that a lot of PSUs of good quality are a bit dry. There's just less news about it I guess.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Why is one use of a piece of equipment more valid than another?

    If I am a cannabis grower and I buy up all the mason jars at the hobby store, for me to cure my cannabis, is it right for the lady who makes jam to talk about cannabis enthusiasts as if we are "a god damn plague"?

    (Cannabis cultivation and use is perfectly legal here.)

    Do you get mad at people who use baking soda for cleaning too?
    Not even a good analogy in this case since PSUs are in stock and not experiencing massive markups. I linked what Chazus wanted and it’s selling at the usual price. Hell, they’ve been as low as $45 for a 650W Seasonic S12III in the last couple weeks.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I probably should have clarified, I was looking for either Semi or Fully Modular units, which there usually is some bronze available. I may have to get a non-modular one but yeah, I'm finding that a lot of PSUs of good quality are a bit dry. There's just less news about it I guess.
    https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx-se...82E16817139148

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Why is one use of a piece of equipment more valid than another?

    If I am a cannabis grower and I buy up all the mason jars at the hobby store, for me to cure my cannabis, is it right for the lady who makes jam to talk about cannabis enthusiasts as if we are "a god damn plague"?

    (Cannabis cultivation and use is perfectly legal here.)

    Do you get mad at people who use baking soda for cleaning too?
    This is really off topic, but cannabis cultivation isn't actually legal for the common consumer in Quebec. Use is Cultivation is not. (Just in case you're growing and don't realize)

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    This is really off topic, but cannabis cultivation isn't actually legal for the common consumer in Quebec. Use is Cultivation is not. (Just in case you're growing and don't realize)
    Minor research tells me that changed in September of 2019.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Minor research tells me that changed in September of 2019.
    It was outlawed provincially but the courts ruled against the law. The government is being a little anal about the ruling though.

    https://educaloi.qc.ca/en/capsules/7...bis-in-quebec/

  13. #13
    I am Murloc! Atrea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    5,637
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    This is really off topic, but cannabis cultivation isn't actually legal for the common consumer in Quebec. Use is Cultivation is not. (Just in case you're growing and don't realize)
    I honestly just moved here less than two months ago, but I am aware of that being an issue currently before the courts. I understand that it is currently legal, but may change. Thanks for looking out for me though.
    I wasn't really planning on growing anyhow; I grew back in Ontario in 2019, but haven't really felt the urge since. I was just using it to build an analogy because of the negative connotations people have still towards cannabis growers.
    Last edited by Atrea; 2021-06-24 at 01:32 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •