Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

[Concept] - Ancient Kalimdor Expansion

In this expansion concept, Azshara is the main antagonist (or, at least, a pawn that drives the story forward - like Sylvanas). She took the Void portal in BfA, seeking for "the true throne of power".

That portal led her to an alternate ancient Kalimdor (yeah, i know how much you guys hate alternate reality expansions [Draenor], but we can't mess with the main timeline), at the height of the Night elven empire.

She wants to change something that she did (like Garrosh wanted) in the past. Either, her Burning Legion allegiance or her servitude to N'zoth. She knows something that we don't. Somewhere in that place "lies the true throne of power". Whether it is by tapping directly to the Well of Eternity to gain Azeroth's power, or something that has to do with Elune (who is a prominent figure there).

We will take her out the same way we did Elisande - by combining different elven factions and groups together, as one. This threat "hits close to home", as they feel that they are somewhat accountable for Azshara's actions and the Sundering.

Therefore, the potential class to be added to that expansion is elven-based.

New Class: Night Warrior

This class will combine the Night Warrior (Priestess of the moon) with the Warden.

Zones
    The continent will feature most, if not all of the elven settlements listed on that map.

Zin-Azshari (Elun'dris/The Eye of Elune)

This zone will be the high-level zone of the continent (much like Suramar was). We will deal there with Azshara herself (in her elven form) and the forces she amassed, in a similar manner to Elisande. This fight will be of great importance - not just for the goal of stopping Azshara, but also for the purpose of securing a homeland for the Night elves.

Eldre'Thalas (Dire Maul)

This zone will deal with the Shen'dralar Highborne. We will see their origins, culture and way of life while also dealing with those loyal to Azshara. They are experimenting in whatever magic Azshara has set her eyes on. A group that will eventually help us are those that joined the Kaldorei. This place will be another candidate for a new night elf home. The Coliseum will serve as a PvP arena.

Then'Ralore

This zone will be a lush night elven Jungle, and within it we will deal with the Emerald Nightmare. There, we will meet a group of Jungle-like, insect riding elves (a previously scrapped idea for Night elves).

Lathar'Lazal (Blackfathom Deeps)

This zone will be centered around a Night elf temple to Elune. We will learn more about her in terms of how she came to be, her relationship with the Night elves, and her powers. It will be located in the Night elven city of Zoram.

Shandaral

This zone will be a sort of museum for Arcane relics and Artifacts. Although the conflict with the Blue Dragonflight happens 4,000 years later, i'd suggest involving them into the story to make this place more interesting. By hoarding massive amounts of Arcane relics and artifacts (some of which were stolen from the Blue Dragonflight itself), they attracted the attention of some of its members, who are waging war against the reckless sorcery of the Highborne there.

Optional

Mount Hyjal
    Although it features on the map, i'm hesitant to give it a place in the expansion since it exists, as it is intended, in the main universe. However, a recent updated frame of it, from the Dark Abduction trailer, drew the attention of several users here:

If it is so, then this zone will deal with the Wild Gods and Freya. We will meet the Dark Trolls, the ancestors of the Night elves, and visit their underground network of caverns. Apparently, Queen Azshara fears the Wild Gods (although she is said to be more powerful than Mannoroth, and only weaker to Archimonde and Sargeras). Therefore, she sends waves after waves of her special task forces to deal with them. We will figure out why she fears them and why she is desperately attempting to eliminate them.

Suramar
    As with Mount Hyjal, this zone already features in the main universe as it is supposed to be. The fact that it is even more recent (Legion) than Mount Hyjal (Cataclysm), suggests that it is even less likely to make an appearance. Even so, i figured that i can't leave this one out while most of the other zones make an appearance.

This zone will not include the parts of Suramar we know from Legion, but the less accentuated ones like Elune'eth, Boughs of Azshara, and Ga'han.
    We will meet an alternate version of Broxigar, who will help us against the forces of Azshara. Instead of Ronokon, the Pitlord, and Sciallax, the Demon Lord, we will deal with fearsome creatures made by Azshara's new powers to either lure the denizens of the place to join her cause (Sciallax) or crush to death those who oppose her (Ronokon). This zone will also be the place of operations for the forces of Death, as they work on some mysterious plan they have (inspired by the Nathrezim's experiments).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am aware that this is way too elvish-centered of an expansion. But, i just couldn't think of anything else that would match this setting.
    Last edited by username993720; 2023-10-05 at 05:10 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Is this the map when Titans were alive? Cause if yes, then I'm in. Eye of the Elune looks amazing, the moon is so big.

We already have nelfs, belfs, and voids, and nightborn, and you want to add not just one new elf race, but multiple? Enough with the elf stuff already, not everyone is into the pointy eared freaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Blizzard proudly presents, the next thrilling expansion...

...World of Warcraft: ELVES"

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post

Yeah I really dont understand the obsession with Elves, but thats subjective. What is not subjective, is that expansions are created to try and appeal to the broadest market possible, and this is clearly a 100% elf focused fantasy. Considering the extremely high representation of elves in game already, I just dont get it.
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

There should be more customization options that we've been missing for Night Elves.

Since day 1 I've wanted a burly Night Elf like a proper Druid of the Claw.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    We already have nelfs, belfs, and voids, and nightborn, and you want to add not just one new elf race, but multiple? Enough with the elf stuff already, not everyone is into the pointy eared freaks.
    Statistically census for WoW pops have always shown that elves are the most popular and have been by a lot since basically forever.

I agree it's too much elf, but the players keep eating it up. Until they don't, or until something else gets more popular we're doomed to see more elves forever.

Maybe this is what Blizzard meant in Vanilla when they said Night Elf Paladins would be too popular. By god, we should have listened.

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    Statistically census for WoW pops have always shown that elves are the most popular and have been by a lot since basically forever.

I agree it's too much elf, but the players keep eating it up. Until they don't, or until something else gets more popular we're doomed to see more elves forever.

Maybe this is what Blizzard meant in Vanilla when they said Night Elf Paladins would be too popular. By god, we should have listened.
    Human - HUMANS are constantly the most played alliance race - so right from the outset you are actually wrong. Belfs are and pretty much since release have been the most popular horde race, but to claim "elves are the most popular" is just not accurate. Let me put it another way for you - there are substantially more people playing something OTHER than an elf race, than playing one.

I havnt looked at the stats recently, but typically, roughly 90% of the alliance players would rather NOT play an elf than play one, and around 85% of the horde say the same.
    Last edited by arkanon; 2021-06-22 at 11:52 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    No thanks. The last thing this game needs is more elves.

by throne of power she likely means azeroth,she worked with old gods she knows whats up

a void portal taking her back in time doesnt make much sense

also for her to time travel seems like a poor choice

we have already dealt with the legion,old gods,titans are out of action,we will deal with death soon....why would she just undo all her enemies being taken out lol?

also its likely azeroth needs to be mature to acces greater power idk

5+ Year Old Account
    Too much elf !@$% for my taste, and I'm saying it as a disgusting belf fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd be down for it, although I understand the overwhelmingly negative response to more elves. That isn't the aspect of this I really care for anyway, as others have righftully pointed out we already have Night Elves and the generally more exciting Nightborne. We have plenty of other neglected races that deserve to be added over any other form of Elf or Human. Not really fond of Azshara being an antagonist, although I suppose that would make some sense if time travel were involved. Wouldn't make sense for the players to view her that way given what we now know. Anyway, going back to ancient Kalimdor has a whole lot of potential to be tapped if handled with care. At the very least we'd get some amazing zones and architecture out of it, like the already mentioned Dire Maul. Some of the crucial assets needed here are already ready even, like Zin-Aszhari, which would truly be a sight to behold aboveground. Having a non-everburning Hyjal would be pretty great too, and I'm sure plenty of folks here would appreciate an unscathed Darkshore.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    Is this the map when Titans were alive? Cause if yes, then I'm in. Eye of the Elune looks amazing, the moon is so big.
    No, it is after. At the height of the Night elven Empire.

I know, right? there's no way they drew this in the Chronicle: Volume 1 just to tease us and not implement this beautiful zone in game. Take Zuldazar for example. It was depicted in the Chronicles: volume 1 and was later added in BfA.

I didn't. You didn't read the post. A new race is a possibility. If so, there are several options - from which only one will be chosen.

Yeah, i figured out this will be the response.

Yeah I really dont understand the obsession with Elves, but thats subjective. What is not subjective, is that expansions are created to try and appeal to the broadest market possible, and this is clearly a 100% elf focused fantasy. Considering the extremely high representation of elves in game already, I just dont get it.
    It's not an elf-obsession. I did an Emerald Dream expansion concept that didn't have a single elf word in it. It is just that elves fit this expansion idea. You have a better idea of combining old Zin-Azshari and Dire Maul into an expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    There should be more customization options that we've been missing for Night Elves.

Since day 1 I've wanted a burly Night Elf like a proper Druid of the Claw.

That's what wild elves are (previously named Feral elves, which i changed). The picture i posted is a fan art of a Druid of the Claw.

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post

I didn't aim for an elf-centric expansion. It just ended up so. If you have a better idea for the expansion, that combines other elements, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    by throne of power she likely means azeroth,she worked with old gods she knows whats up

a void portal taking her back in time doesnt make much sense

also for her to time travel seems like a poor choice

we have already dealt with the legion,old gods,titans are out of action,we will deal with death soon....why would she just undo all her enemies being taken out lol?

also its likely azeroth needs to be mature to acces greater power idk
    I had to incorporate her somehow into the expansion. So her vanishing into a portal was perfect (like Gul'dan).

Why would she want to undo the alliances she made? look at where it lead her. She failed again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Too much elf !@$% for my taste, and I'm saying it as a disgusting belf fan.
    Then suggestions are welcome. Please, do share with us.

Quote Originally Posted by saintminya View Post
    I'd be down for it, although I understand the overwhelmingly negative response to more elves. That isn't the aspect of this I really care for anyway, as others have righftully pointed out we already have Night Elves and the generally more exciting Nightborne. We have plenty of other neglected races that deserve to be added over any other form of Elf or Human. Not really fond of Azshara being an antagonist, although I suppose that would make some sense if time travel were involved. Wouldn't make sense for the players to view her that way given what we now know. Anyway, going back to ancient Kalimdor has a whole lot of potential to be tapped if handled with care. At the very least we'd get some amazing zones and architecture out of it, like the already mentioned Dire Maul. Some of the crucial assets needed here are already ready even, like Zin-Aszhari, which would truly be a sight to behold aboveground. Having a non-everburning Hyjal would be pretty great too, and I'm sure plenty of folks here would appreciate an unscathed Darkshore.
    That's what this expansion was originally based on. The Amazing art from the Chronicles for Zin-Azshari and Dire Maul. I just added the other aspects to make it into a complete expansion.
    Last edited by username993720; 2021-06-23 at 07:50 AM.

Why not? We had a "World of Warcraft: ORC SMASH!"-expansion too, the problem is that the other races don't have as much (Nor as detailed) history, but that's a writing issue...

No. They already tried the alternate timeline thing and they have proven they would only make a train wreck out of. After seeing how much Shadowlands is an unmitigated disaster when it comes to story, if they attempted something like this they would just royally fuck it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, you're getting light zealots and that's the end of it!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    No. They already tried the alternate timeline thing and they have proven they would only make a train wreck out of. After seeing how much Shadowlands is an unmitigated disaster when it comes to story, if they attempted something like this they would just royally fuck it up.
    I know. That's why i wrote "you guys probably hate alternate reality expansions".
    How do you suggest to incorporate beautiful old Zin-Azshari and Dire Maul into the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Nah, you're getting light zealots and that's the end of it!
    You mean Light vs Void? that's an obvious upcoming expansion. I didn't feel the need to make one, because it is so talked about.

Wish there will be some rewamp/rethinking of wow in next couple expansions. To remove allied races, merge them to main races and add more. Remove H/A hard choice and make it reputation-like
    Your suggestion will be like:
    you pick elves and choose subrace - blood elves, night elves, nightborne and void elves. Heritage armor will be subraces picked. And then you play any faction that you like. Want to love Silvermoon and hate Orgrimmar? Great, pick BE reputation and dont pick orcs. Or dwarfs, or trolls.
    Or your pick trolls and choose subrace - zandalari, Dark Spear, Raventusk, sand trolls (maybe from Vol'Dun and not from Tanaris) or snow trolls from Northrend.
    Or taurens with mulgore ones, Highmountain, Taunka or Yaungols.
    Orcs - Orgrimmar ones, Mag'Hars. Other kinds are too similar with mag'hars. Or swore enemies with other orcs. Maybe some fel orcs, but there must be some lore explanations to join them to other orcs. They are much hated by them.
    Humans - Stormwind ones, Kul-Tirans, Worgens. They are all humans, so easy pick.
    Dwarfs - Dark iron, Ironforge, Wildhammer. Easy
    Gnomes - Gnomeregan and mechagnomes.
    Draenei - Exodar and Lightforged.
    Undead - undead humans, undead elves, forsaken ones.
    Goblins - Biglewater and gibgoblins from nazjatar. Dunno about Vulperas.

I would rather have Azshara scheming something in the mainline now. She could disguise herself as a normal night elf and become a ruler of new elven society (instead of Malfurion and Tyrande), the same way Onyxia did Katrana Prestor. Just imagine that we get a new elven figure only an expansion later to discover it was Azshara all along, that's something that I miss in WoW, some GoT drama.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    No thanks. The last thing this game needs is more elves.
    Agreed. And I know we just had BfA, but can we have more troll stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post

I know, right? there's no way they drew this in the Chronicle: Volume 1 just to tease us and not implement this beautiful zone in game. Take Zuldazar for example. It was depicted in the Chronicles: volume 1 and was later added in BfA..
    Ohh... I wonder if we'd get to meet Dazar as a living troll, and maybe even a mortal Bwonsamdi?

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to see Dazar'alor as a mountain city too
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.