Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ...
15
23
24
25
  1. #481
    Quote Originally Posted by Celarent View Post
    Maybe look at it this way: because the developers who created your earlier, preferable version of the game are forever gone, Blizzard is unable to replicate that design for new content whether or not you give them an incentive.
    i'm not really looking for any design in particular beyond returning to badges and tokens for gear drops. i just want a game that i am more than happy to just be content with. while there were things i didn't like in bfa, i was content with the expac for most of it (i quit shortly into 8.3). shadowlands is just (or at least was) so grindy, the horrible and inconsistent gearing systems, the bad story. the entire expansion just doesn't have quality control. i'm happy with average, i just want to love wow again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Celarent View Post
    That leaves us with Blizzard's acknowledgement of multiple WoW versions needed to serve a desired customer base. We've come a long way from J. Allen Brack's dismissive remark: here's the game we enjoyed then and in many cases enjoy now. By all appearances, Wrath is on the way, encouraged by TBC's relative success. So it's a simple transaction. You pay Blizzard for fun that Blizzard has conceded it can no longer provide for new productions, but is still relevant to the market. All in your favor. The only variable is whether you deny yourself that opportunity.
    i really want you to think about the phrase "for fun that Blizzard has conceded it can no longer provide for new productions". if a company can't provide a quality product, what is the future of that company? like i've said before, i can't expect people to do as i say and if you find something fun that i don't, good for you. but if a company can't make good products, then that company is doomed to die.

    if blizzard is doomed to die at it's current pace, the logical conclusion would be to try and figure out a method by which it may change. sadly, profits is the only thing activision cares about at the moment. that means the only way to force a meaningful change as a consumer is to strip their current profit as much as i can so that the greedy idiots come in and start kicking things into shape. and while i don't think the ones in charge now could achieve that, strip away enough profit and they will feel forced into getting new top dogs.

    i don't want wow to die and i don't hate wow. but right now the best thing to do for the sake of wow is to not play it.

  2. #482
    Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    i really want you to think about the phrase "for fun that Blizzard has conceded it can no longer provide for new productions". if a company can't provide a quality product, what is the future of that company?
    A company without a varied portfolio might be finished, but Activision-Blizzard has enough irons in the fire to rethink strategy. In the meantime, Classic proves that old products that should be obsolete are still profitable — plus, Classic itself is a new strategy. I know that forward-looking statements are all "innovation, growth, yada-yada," but sometimes you can make customers happy and yourself money with the same-old.

  3. #483
    Quote Originally Posted by Celarent View Post
    A company without a varied portfolio might be finished, but Activision-Blizzard has enough irons in the fire to rethink strategy. In the meantime, Classic proves that old products that should be obsolete are still profitable — plus, Classic itself is a new strategy. I know that forward-looking statements are all "innovation, growth, yada-yada," but sometimes you can make customers happy and yourself money with the same-old.
    i completely agree with what you say. it makes perfect sense from the business point-of-view. but as a consumer, while classic is appealing, it won't hold attention forever. it's best as a supplement to retail than it's own thing. people will normally come back for new content and such but outside of the initial launch, few will play it without a wanting to play retail. unless blizz starts making classic+ content, classic will eventually die without retail to support it. we've even seen the hardcore players that were on private realms prior to classic releasing quit the tbc servers only a few months after its release.

    what i think people are missing with my point is i'm thinking long term. far longer than 1 or 2 years. wotlk will likely be the last (with mop having a small chance since it was really the last good "classical" style of expansion) classic server general audiences will care about so what happens then? i might not be addicted to wow in the general meaning but when i quit in january, i went through withdrawal because of my moderate-severe depression for months. i didn't quit wow and now hate on it out of spite. i genuinely love the game and think of it as a second home. i'm critical these days to try and get the game to improve. it was where my friends and my main hobby was and i can't enjoy it now because of how poorly its been handled.

    so yes, the business can still milk money for a little while, and yes, customers can be happy with the bad product/prior unchanging product they have now. that doesn't mean it can last. and while activision may have the money to last for a while to finally enact the needed change, wow certainly won't if its hemorrhaging subs. wow needs to change soon or activision may cut support.

  4. #484
    Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    i didn't quit wow and now hate on it out of spite.
    You should try it. Spite and anger, I mean. It's a great way to break a gaming addiction. And if the game or company blows up while you're gone, the schadenfreude is all the sweeter.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The greatest use of a life is to spend it on something that will outlast it." -- William James
    Get your COVID booster. It works so much better than horse paste.

  5. #485
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    31,376
    Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    if a company can't provide a quality product, what is the future of that company?
    About a billion dollars a year in revenue if it's Blizzard. There are lots of people outside this echo chamber of a forum that like the game just fine. I'm not judging one way or the other: just stating a clear truth.
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

  6. #486
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    About a billion dollars a year in revenue if it's Blizzard. There are lots of people outside this echo chamber of a forum that like the game just fine. I'm not judging one way or the other: just stating a clear truth.
    There's also lots of people that blindly purchase any cash shop or paid service addition to WoW and drive up profits, which imitates a form of success for the game.

  7. #487
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    31,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsyplenk View Post
    There's also lots of people that blindly purchase any cash shop or paid service addition to WoW and drive up profits, which imitates a form of success for the game.
    That may be but the question I was answering was implying that Blizzard would have difficulty surviving if they can't please the echo chamber of 100 or so people that regularly post to this forum. The answer is the same: about a billion dollars a year in revenue. One needs to be wary of upscaling negative feedback into generalizations. A lot of people don't know and don't care about forums. They just log on and play every so often. That's mostly where the billion dollars a year comes from. They don't much care about legal issues, the cash shop or anything else. Besides, who are you or I to tell people how to spend their money?
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

  8. #488
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    That may be but the question I was answering was implying that Blizzard would have difficulty surviving if they can't please the echo chamber of 100 or so people that regularly post to this forum. The answer is the same: about a billion dollars a year in revenue. One needs to be wary of upscaling negative feedback into generalizations. A lot of people don't know and don't care about forums. They just log on and play every so often. That's mostly where the billion dollars a year comes from. They don't much care about legal issues, the cash shop or anything else. Besides, who are you or I to tell people how to spend their money?
    I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money,. Like you say, it's their money. Just stating that revenue being used as a gauge of quality for the game isn't exactly accurate. I haven't followed the whole convo, so ignore me if this is irrelevant.

  9. #489
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    31,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsyplenk View Post
    Just stating that revenue being used as a gauge of quality for the game isn't exactly accurate.
    That's not really what I was saying. Great games disappear without a trace because no one buys them. Lots of terrible games flourish. Same with books, movies, almost anything else you can think of.
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •