Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
4
12
13
14
15
LastLast
  1. #261
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Probably because the definition of analepsis was literally on the syllabus but you couldn't be bothered to use it. Just a guess, lol.
    Could very well of been. I admit my younger self wasn't thrilled to be in a class that even now I consider a absolute waste of my time and money. I didn't even read the book in question simply read the summary off spark notes. I have no idea why they tag on art requirements to stem degrees beyond trying to nickle and dime students.

  2. #262
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Berenstein Timeline
    Posts
    55,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    Could very well of been. I admit my younger self wasn't thrilled to be in a class that even now I consider a absolute waste of my time and money. I didn't even read the book in question simply read the summary off spark notes. I have no idea why they tag on art requirements to stem degrees beyond trying to nickle and dime students.
    Mainly because the entire point of collegiate education is developing critical thinking which the liberal arts tend to be very good at, rather than hyperfocusing on which disciplines are most useful to capitalism (speaking of political motivation in education, lul).
    Every heartwarming human interest story in America is like "he raised $20,000 to keep 200 orphans from being crushed in the orphan-crushing machine" and then never asks why an orphan-crushing machine exists or why you'd need to pay to prevent it from being used.

    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    so ? Teacher is about teaching, not education.

  3. #263
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Mainly because the entire point of collegiate education is developing critical thinking which the liberal arts tend to be very good at, rather than hyperfocusing on which disciplines are most useful to capitalism (speaking of political motivation in education).
    I always thought it was simply intellectual materbation rather then critical thinking. If they truely had critical thinking skills they would transfer to a study that would switch to developing skills desired by capitalism then pursue their more flowery studies once they achieved a comfortable livelihood.

  4. #264
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Berenstein Timeline
    Posts
    55,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    If they truely had critical thinking skills they would transfer to a study that would switch to developing skills desired by capitalism
    And maybe if you'd taken more liberal arts classes you'd understand that critical thinking is by and far the most desired skill for most professions in a late industrial economy where employment is largely unspecialized.

    Which has fuck all to do with you complaining about people being political in education while continually deflecting every time you're asked to define what makes something political, to boot. Lol.
    Every heartwarming human interest story in America is like "he raised $20,000 to keep 200 orphans from being crushed in the orphan-crushing machine" and then never asks why an orphan-crushing machine exists or why you'd need to pay to prevent it from being used.

    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    so ? Teacher is about teaching, not education.

  5. #265
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    And maybe if you'd taken more liberal arts classes you'd understand that critical thinking is by and far the most desired skill for most professions in a late industrial economy where employment is largely unspecialized.
    I just hyper specialized in a trade with less then two hundred practitioners in my country and made millions.

    There is critical thinking then there is critical thinking as they say..

  6. #266
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Berenstein Timeline
    Posts
    55,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    I just hyper specialized in a trade with less then two hundred practitioners in my country and made millions.
    Okay? Not seeing what this has to do with your claims of nonexistent politicization in the classroom. Lol.
    Every heartwarming human interest story in America is like "he raised $20,000 to keep 200 orphans from being crushed in the orphan-crushing machine" and then never asks why an orphan-crushing machine exists or why you'd need to pay to prevent it from being used.

    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    so ? Teacher is about teaching, not education.

  7. #267
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Okay? Not seeing what this has to do with your claims of nonexistent politicization in the classroom. Lol.
    I admit we got rather off topic. I'm drawing from personal experience while your talking in more general terms. The point I was trying to make is I see no benefit in further adding politics into the classroom as there is alreadly more there then I feel needed.

  8. #268
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Berenstein Timeline
    Posts
    55,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    I admit we got rather off topic. I'm drawing from personal experience while your talking in more general terms. The point I was trying to make is I see no benefit in further adding politics into the classroom as there is alreadly more there then I feel needed.
    Which, again, isn't a point since you've continually evaded explaining what makes something political.
    Every heartwarming human interest story in America is like "he raised $20,000 to keep 200 orphans from being crushed in the orphan-crushing machine" and then never asks why an orphan-crushing machine exists or why you'd need to pay to prevent it from being used.

    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    so ? Teacher is about teaching, not education.

  9. #269
    The Insane Kathandira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ziltoidia 9
    Posts
    17,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    I just hyper specialized in a trade with less then two hundred practitioners in my country and made millions.

    There is critical thinking then there is critical thinking as they say..
    I love MMO-Champion Millionaires. We have sooo many! It's almost unbelievable.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

    Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

  10. #270
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Which, again, isn't a point since you've continually evaded explaining what makes something political.
    It isn't an intention evasion I assure you rather it's an awkward topic to pin down. I've had themes be read into so hard in classical literature that it came off as parody but was instead taught as a valid interpretation. The problem is arts is all about interpretation so while it all seems redicoulsy convoluted to me others would argue that is the point.

  11. #271
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Berenstein Timeline
    Posts
    55,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    It isn't an intention evasion I assure you rather it's an awkward topic to pin down.
    It really isn't.

    It's a simple answer, and that answer is that everything to do with humans as a group in a practical sense is inherently political on some level. Complaining about "bringing politics into the classroom" is and always has been a dogwhistle for discussion of subject matter that some group of reactionaries deem unsavory because discussing it might call the status quo into question.
    Every heartwarming human interest story in America is like "he raised $20,000 to keep 200 orphans from being crushed in the orphan-crushing machine" and then never asks why an orphan-crushing machine exists or why you'd need to pay to prevent it from being used.

    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    so ? Teacher is about teaching, not education.

  12. #272
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I love MMO-Champion Millionaires. We have sooo many! It's almost unbelievable.
    Well I'm talking gross over a decade it's not actually a million to many parasites taxing poor old me for that.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    It really isn't.

    It's a simple answer, and that answer is that everything to do with humans as a group in a practical sense is inherently political on some level. Complaining about "bringing politics into the classroom" is and always has been a dogwhistle for discussion of subject matter that some group of reactionaries deem unsavory because discussing it might call the status quo into question.
    I agree with you completely barring the last sentance. Even when it isn't bringing into question the status quo it can be tedious and annoying.

  13. #273
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Berenstein Timeline
    Posts
    55,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    I agree with you completely
    Then stop complaining about a non-issue.

    "I had to use my brain in English class one time" is in no way a reasonable premise to conclude "classrooms run the risk becoming a cesspit of political infighting".
    Every heartwarming human interest story in America is like "he raised $20,000 to keep 200 orphans from being crushed in the orphan-crushing machine" and then never asks why an orphan-crushing machine exists or why you'd need to pay to prevent it from being used.

    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    so ? Teacher is about teaching, not education.

  14. #274
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    34,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Or, you don't like the implications, that you too favor politically charged indoctrination, just you know for your team, because you fight valiantly for your team, and your team is good and if someone isn't cheerleading for your team than they are evil incarnate.



    AH, yes, of course, you'd never say that outright, or very few of you would. Your problem is with parents who aren't dutiful voters for your brand identity... I mean party. People whose views or cultural habits are not amicable to you and who are aesthetically unpleasant for whatever reason.

    You guys define everyone outside of your clique as 'bigots', you might as well have said 'Look we aren't destroying the Middle East! We are just fighting terrorists! You aren't pro-terrorist are you!"

    You guys do love your weaselly language tricks. And I do admire it, its a nice skill.
    Theo. Enough with the devil's advocate. There's a point where you just go too far and look really really bad. Again, nobody is arguing any of the things you claim they are. You've created the most ridiculous of situations where, once again, it is only the most severe and ridiculous of conclusions. Nobody is arguing the things you say they are. That you have created this really extreme, ridiculous argument that nobody is making is the literal definition of what a strawman is.
    "Nazis are like cats. If they like you, it's probably because you're feeding them." -John Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Knadra finally just admitting Trumpkins care more about political victories than morals.

  15. #275
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    24,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Theo. Enough with the devil's advocate. There's a point where you just go too far and look really really bad. Again, nobody is arguing any of the things you claim they are. You've created the most ridiculous of situations where, once again, it is only the most severe and ridiculous of conclusions. Nobody is arguing the things you say they are. That you have created this really extreme, ridiculous argument that nobody is making is the literal definition of what a strawman is.
    I will always look bad in your eyes for not being a super gung how Democratic Party cheerleader, so I don't really care what I am in the eyes of you and people who post here. The idea of ever getting good faith responses does not even enter my mind here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

  16. #276
    Legendary! unfilteredJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Seagrove Beach, FL
    Posts
    6,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I will always look bad in your eyes for not being a super gung how Democratic Party cheerleader, so I don't really care what I am in the eyes of you and people who post here. The idea of ever getting good faith responses does not even enter my mind here.
    Giant. Eyeroll.
    Blessed are the fornicates, may we bend down to be their whores. Blessed are the rich, may our labor deliver them more.
    Blessed are the envious; bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain. Blessed are the gluttonous, may they feast us to famine and war.
    What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful, the meek, the mourning, and the merciful? All doomed, all doomed

  17. #277
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I will always look bad in your eyes for not being a super gung how Democratic Party cheerleader, so I don't really care what I am in the eyes of you and people who post here. The idea of ever getting good faith responses does not even enter my mind here.



    And since I feel I'll have to explain it, I mean your victim card. Jesus Christ. From the person who acts like any time they stub their toe the cause could only be that Nancy Pelsoi must have broken into their house and moved their furniture around you really have zero room to complain.


    I'll explain the actual issue most have with you, and it's not the strawman you've made to justify your massive victim complex. It's the lies, excuse making for objectively bad conservative behavior while crucifying any dem, arguing in bad faith, and plagiarism. All while you complain that people who call you out on this are just mad you don't have your bumper covered wall to wall with DNC bumper stickers.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2021-07-02 at 10:20 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

  18. #278
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    68,867
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    And since I feel I'll have to explain it, I mean your victim card. Jesus Christ. From the person who acts like any time they stub their toe the cause could only be that Nancy Pelsoi must have broken into their house and moved their furniture around you really have zero room to complain.

    I'll explain the actual issue most have with you, and it's not the strawman you've made to justify your massive victim complex. It's the lies, excuse making for objectively bad conservative behavior while crucifying any dem, arguing in bad faith, and plagiarism. All while you complain that people who call you out on this are just mad you don't have your bumper covered wall to wall with DNC bumper stickers.
    Hell, I'm not even American. I'm Canadian. And a socialist at that. What allegiance would you think I have with the frakking Democrats? I'll shit all over people like Manchin. I'm not exactly a fan of Biden. About the only Democrats I really like are people like AOC and the Squad, and even there, they're pretty middle-of-the-road and only stand out because of how right-wing the Democrats generally lean.


  19. #279
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Nobody is arguing the things you say they are. That you have created this really extreme, ridiculous argument that nobody is making is the literal definition of what a strawman is.
    Ah, the Theo School of Debate lives on then. This is literally how she "argues." She creates the argument she's wants to reply to, then attacks that.

    The only worthwhile takeaway from Theo's current forum presence is just how wildly more active it is than in the last 4 years. It is almost cute in its blatancy.

    Maybe she's just super "gung how" about this evil new austerity admin, eh?


    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    From the person who acts like any time they stub their toe the cause could only be that Nancy Pelsoi must have broken into their house and moved their furniture around you really have zero room to complain.
    Things have moved on from Pelosi. Everything is down to the CIA now.

  20. #280
    The Insane Masark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    17,632
    Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    Some CRT proponents make some very good points, that should be listened to. Some are mad. Some buy into it and do stupid stuff like this.
    Reading and giving any credence to the Moonie Times is an exceedingly stupid thing to do, but I fail to see how "buying into" critical race theory would lead to that.

    Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •