Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ...
4
12
13
14
15
16
... LastLast
  1. #261
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I can think of a recent one actually, though this might be a personal failing on my part. Council of Blood in Castle Nathria. I actually had to watch a video in order to understand what the game was trying to tell me to do for the dance because it didn't feel very intuitive at all.
    I'm curious as to what you found unintuitive?
    Granted I have thousands of hours into Sid Mier's Pirates so I'm a dance simulation expert, but of all the mechanics in Nathria, the dance portion is extremely straight forward.
    Last edited by StillMcfuu; 2021-07-21 at 01:26 PM.

  2. #262
    Quote Originally Posted by Venarik View Post
    Retainers are a wonky version of a bank.

    Lalafells exis
    t.
    100% this is my entire issue with FFXIV.

    Oh.......and lots of weebing. Must EVERYONE be a cat dude or a bunny girl in skimpy clothes in Limsa looking exactly the same?
    If we could all sit and talk without demonizing one another and attempt to understand the opposite point of view, the collective world would be a better place. Mental bigotry is the worst of all.

  3. #263
    I strongly dislike that they have a ton of non-fantasy cosmetics in a fantasy MMO.

    I really don't like being dressed like a badass knight or wizard and then coming into town and seeing a bunch of people in baseball hats, jeans, and skate shoes. I don't need a game that takes its self 100% seriously all the time, but I want a coherent look and feel.

    I'm at like level 18-19 so I'm in the oldest areas in the game. I'm hoping that the visual fidelity gets better when I get into new content. A lot of the areas I'm in now look like PS3 graphics.

    Those are my main complaints. The 2.5s GCD feels slow but I'm starting to get spells that aren't on the GCD and it feels better.

  4. #264
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzzave View Post
    I really don't like being dressed like a badass knight or wizard and then coming into town and seeing a bunch of people in baseball hats, jeans, and skate shoes. I don't need a game that takes its self 100% seriously all the time, but I want a coherent look and feel.
    At least you haven't seen car mount yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzzave View Post
    I'm at like level 18-19 so I'm in the oldest areas in the game. I'm hoping that the visual fidelity gets better when I get into new content. A lot of the areas I'm in now look like PS3 graphics.
    It gets worse. ARR zones are compact and filled with interesting vistas. From HW onwards maps get three times bigger (because of flying) and six times less detailed. Textures are very low res even in the newest content.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

  5. #265
    is there an auto-run button? I always keybinded my 10 to autorun in wow and I'd like to do the same for FF14.

  6. #266
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppen View Post
    is there an auto-run button? I always keybinded my 10 to autorun in wow and I'd like to do the same for FF14.
    Yes, in keybind menu -> movement -> turn on/off auto-run
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

    NextUI for XIV


  7. #267
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I can think of a recent one actually, though this might be a personal failing on my part. Council of Blood in Castle Nathria. I actually had to watch a video in order to understand what the game was trying to tell me to do for the dance because it didn't feel very intuitive at all.
    Haha, but i bet when you found out you had a D'oh! moment, because then you're like well ofc right, it makes almost too much sense, no worries you're not alone on that one. Oh you mean that huge spotlight is just for little o me? D'oh!

    My other fav (well in lfr only) was prance forward, shashay left, boogie down, or shimmy right...

    What? Into that scary af looking red death aura on the ground.

    When you know the raids well, lfr is so much fun. First spotlight half the raid dead, then the Danse Macabre, almost everyone remaining lol, which was totally me on both occasions when i tested lfr before i joined a proper raid team.
    Last edited by xpsync; 2021-07-21 at 05:12 PM.

  8. #268
    Herald of the Titans Advent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Other Side.
    Posts
    2,731
    Quote Originally Posted by xpsync View Post
    Haha, but i bet when you found out you had a D'oh! moment, because then you're like well ofc right, it makes almost too much sense, no worries you're not alone on that one. Oh you mean that huge spotlight is just for little o me? D'oh!

    My other fav (well in lfr only) was prance forward, shashay left, boogie down, or shimmy right...

    What? Into that scary af looking red death aura on the ground.

    When you know the raids well, lfr is so much fun. First spotlight half the raid dead, then the Danse Macabre, almost everyone remaining lol, which was totally me on both occasions when i tested lfr before i joined a proper raid team.
    Actually what happened was that I ran into the spotlight, and either ran too far/not far enough and didn't complete the dance, or I ran in the wrong direction because the game didn't state that I was supposed to orient myself toward the bosses to start.

  9. #269
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    That's weird. I just don't know why they're needed except in ranked PVP.

    Fair enough. I get that. I always struggled finding a guild to raid with because I want top 100 quality, but only want to play only Ret and only 6 hours a week. That only leaves on average 1-2 guilds a tier, and they're NEVER looking for melee.

    Scalable content is kind of 2 major pieces for me. Features that can be used and grown upon as you move from patch to patch/expansion to expansion and gives room for different player styles to enjoy it rather than something created for the lowest common denominator. Looking at WoW is stuff like the transmog or mount collection systems. Stuff like flex raiding, or Mythic+.

    In FF14 sure we have stuff like Palace of the Dead -> Heaven on High, but then that got left behind to rot. We had Eureka, but it was nothing but a glorified hunt train, which is some of FF14's most derivative content or worse, just grinding mobs casually in the outworld. FF14 does a good job of keeping most of it's old content rewarding, but then fails miserably in other aspects of it.
    Was it left behind though? I played some Palace of the Dead earlier today and had a lot of fun. In WoW, I wouldn't be allowed to play it without overpowering it.

    Flex raiding is just an absolutely awful system that has caused nothing but problems like guilds targeting the easiest number of players per fight.

    I don't understand your implication that FF14 doesn't allow mount collection, but obviously we all know the transom system is lacking.

    You're comparing a different metric than I am though altogether though. I wasn't comparing the dude who only does world quests against the #1 ranked raider. I'm comparing the #1 ranked raider against his peers, the other raiders across both games demonstrating that the ACTUAL balance isn't that far off.

    You want me to compare uninformed players vs. informed players? Why for what purpose? Even at the median %'s comparing BLM across savage vs. normal there's a 35% DPS disparity among their players. For Ret median %, it's a 37% DPS differential across mythic to heroic. It's a 28% DPS differential from Heroic to Normal for Rets. ilvl muddies the waters a good bit here though.
    I wasn't comparing that either. What I am saying is that just because things work out at one play level doesn't mean they work out at another play level. At the highest play level, everyone is using the "right" stuff. That isn't the case at other play tiers, and the disparity gets larger the more you go down. Just because the top 1% has less of a difference between them doesn't mean that that disparity is the same at the 50th percentile of players. The farther you go down, the less "right" everyone's build is, and easier to play rotations are going to close the gap on harder to play rotations. Simply put: Balance at the 99th percentile doesn't mean balance at the 50th percentile, or vice versa.

    The median percentile of people who put their logs on websites is not the median percentile of players, so I just dismiss that argument.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    At least you haven't seen car mount yet.


    It gets worse. ARR zones are compact and filled with interesting vistas. From HW onwards maps get three times bigger (because of flying) and six times less detailed. Textures are very low res even in the newest content.
    I actually kinda like the big zones with lots of space between landmarks. It makes it feel more immersive. I hate when points of interest are unrealistically stacked on top of each other like Im at fucking six flags.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

  10. #270
    Learning the hard way that MSQ experience and level requirements are inconsistent. Started out easily being able to level at least 3 jobs simultaneously and still be overleveled for the MSQ. Early to mid-30s had to reduce that to 2 jobs, by 40 I had to abandon all but my main job as there wasn't enough EXP for anything else. Soon that wasn't enough and I had to start doing leveling roulettes because I'd be 30% of a level too low to accept the next MSQ, now I'm 46 and can't get the next one until level 49.

    Seems like once you hit 30 you should cast all other jobs to the side if you want to keep maintaining an uninterrupted MSQ cadence. (This is without the Road to 70 buff.) As much as I usually enjoy doing content outside the MSQ, being in a position where I have to grind it for 3 levels in order to continue sucks.
    "People with depression score higher on tests of realism. Intelligence is positively correlated with mental illness and suicide. What this indicates is that if the mind understands too much about reality, it wants to destroy itself. Human life is existential horror."

  11. #271
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Learning the hard way that MSQ experience and level requirements are inconsistent. Started out easily being able to level at least 3 jobs simultaneously and still be overleveled for the MSQ. Early to mid-30s had to reduce that to 2 jobs, by 40 I had to abandon all but my main job as there wasn't enough EXP for anything else. Soon that wasn't enough and I had to start doing leveling roulettes because I'd be 30% of a level too low to accept the next MSQ, now I'm 46 and can't get the next one until level 49.

    Seems like once you hit 30 you should cast all other jobs to the side if you want to keep maintaining an uninterrupted MSQ cadence. (This is without the Road to 70 buff.) As much as I usually enjoy doing content outside the MSQ, being in a position where I have to grind it for 3 levels in order to continue sucks.
    Yeah, you need to be pretty devoted to it once you hit heavensward (it gets even trickier there) and you start aggroing every mob in hundred yalm radius on your alt (whilst your level 60 main you leveled 2.1-2.5 through gets a free ride). I was kinda fine running a mix of ninja and whm. But then my whm got her ironworks and i stormed through the msq on her (no real issues running dps with my whm, plus max survival made the choice a no brainer). The poor ninja got left behind. By the time i was ready to pick it back up, the disadvantages just hugely outweighed the advantages. The result is that i was level... 70ish? by the time i hit stormblood, and currently 75 nearing completion of the 4.0 msq.

    I dont really mind. I want every single ounce of potency to cheese my way through healing dungeons and trials. So kinda fine with the idea of sitting in lvl80 gear running through shadowbringers. But i do miss just switching between classes. I even tried a redmage for a bit, but was pulled back by the idea of running around coerthas again. I guess its an end game thing for my playstyle.

  12. #272
    It's even more fun once the MSQ starts being gated by item level.

  13. #273
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Actually what happened was that I ran into the spotlight, and either ran too far/not far enough and didn't complete the dance, or I ran in the wrong direction because the game didn't state that I was supposed to orient myself toward the bosses to start.
    I wen't in knowing nothing, then yeah, hit the vid too and was like omg ofc, lol.
    looking out of my lonely room day after day

  14. #274
    Only started yesterday after my brother convinced me to pick it up. I really enjoy it till now, but there were already two things that annoyed me:

    1) I don't really like the graphics style of any of the races. So I just went for the memes and made a Lalafel. Sill thinking about it, if I stick with it, or maybe make one of the Lizard people, which seemed to be the most okay ones. Though it's somehow funny when one of those brutes, where I'm not even reaching their knee, talks to me as if I'd be the hero in the quest.

    2) DoT duration / damage: This might seem like a weird point, and I'm sure it will change later on. But in the beginning for the Arcanist, the dots do so little damage compared to the direct damage spell, that neither pulling multiple mobs / dotting them nor using them against one mob makes sense. Which basically means, I more or less only use one single damage spell, and for the first 10 levels (outside of some fights where 2-3 mobs were forced, and a FATE quest I did) I only used that one spell. I'll see if that gets much better.

  15. #275
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostfred View Post
    Only started yesterday after my brother convinced me to pick it up. I really enjoy it till now, but there were already two things that annoyed me:

    1) I don't really like the graphics style of any of the races. So I just went for the memes and made a Lalafel. Sill thinking about it, if I stick with it, or maybe make one of the Lizard people, which seemed to be the most okay ones. Though it's somehow funny when one of those brutes, where I'm not even reaching their knee, talks to me as if I'd be the hero in the quest.
    Yeah, art style is very subjective. I hope you find something that interests you enough to continue playing.

    2) DoT duration / damage: This might seem like a weird point, and I'm sure it will change later on. But in the beginning for the Arcanist, the dots do so little damage compared to the direct damage spell, that neither pulling multiple mobs / dotting them nor using them against one mob makes sense. Which basically means, I more or less only use one single damage spell, and for the first 10 levels (outside of some fights where 2-3 mobs were forced, and a FATE quest I did) I only used that one spell. I'll see if that gets much better.
    Arcanist evolves into Summoner for DPS and Scholar for Healing at level 30. Summoner gets a number of traits that increase the damage of their DoTs however the main reason the DoTs are placed on mobs is to ensure the spell "Fester" (gained at level 18) does maximum damage, as it does pitiful damage by itself, but it's potency is increased by 100 for each of the 2 main DoTs Arcanist/Summoner cast (Bio and Miasma). Not that the base DoT's are worthless, as they do still make up a sizable portion of your damage, but they aren't nearly as potent as the direct damage spells and later the summon Bahamut and Summon Phoenix portions of your kit.

    That said, I genuinely do hope you like Summoner (I love the aesthetic and the lore for it), but it's not in a great spot game play wise at later levels despite it's high damage potential. Just a friendly warning that it may evolve or change into something you really don't like so I'd advise looking into it a bit to see if it's something you want to stick with or if there are other jobs you'd also be interested in that won't disappoint you down the line.

  16. #276
    The thing about DoTs is that open world normal mobs are often just not going to live long enough for them to matter anyway. They're just going to die to direct damage before the DoTs tick a lot.

    That's not really an XIV thing, it's just how DoTs are.

    They are your highest damage/time abilities, though. Especially when you're putting them up with Tri-disaster and counting the extra Fester damage.

  17. #277
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Yeah, art style is very subjective. I hope you find something that interests you enough to continue playing.
    Yes, I agree! It's very subjective. Maybe the art style and my Lalafell will grow on me (badum tzzzz) over time as I get more used to it. I rarely played jRPGs in the past.

    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Arcanist evolves into Summoner for DPS and Scholar for Healing at level 30. Summoner gets a number of traits that increase the damage of their DoTs however the main reason the DoTs are placed on mobs is to ensure the spell "Fester" (gained at level 18) does maximum damage, as it does pitiful damage by itself, but it's potency is increased by 100 for each of the 2 main DoTs Arcanist/Summoner cast (Bio and Miasma). Not that the base DoT's are worthless, as they do still make up a sizable portion of your damage, but they aren't nearly as potent as the direct damage spells and later the summon Bahamut and Summon Phoenix portions of your kit.

    That said, I genuinely do hope you like Summoner (I love the aesthetic and the lore for it), but it's not in a great spot game play wise at later levels despite it's high damage potential. Just a friendly warning that it may evolve or change into something you really don't like so I'd advise looking into it a bit to see if it's something you want to stick with or if there are other jobs you'd also be interested in that won't disappoint you down the line.
    Aye, I took it with going towards scholar in mind. The game seems very friendly towards switching specs and leveling others, so it shouldn't be an issue to check out also other specs sooner or later, if I stay for longer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    The thing about DoTs is that open world normal mobs are often just not going to live long enough for them to matter anyway. They're just going to die to direct damage before the DoTs tick a lot.
    Aye, I guess that's the issue. The entire dot would do more damage than the direct damage spell, but the 30 seconds are just too long for anything to survive as long for now. As said, I think it'll get better later on anyway (as @Katchii also pointed out, with Fester), though it's kinda weird to have 3 damage spells and use only one for such a long time. At least in that case, WoW did a better job to get the balancing quite right even in the beginning at low levels - affli lock was the last class I leveled from the get go, and the only twink I played in Shadowlands, though never reached max level.
    Last edited by Frostfred; 2021-07-22 at 02:20 PM.

  18. #278
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Was it left behind though? I played some Palace of the Dead earlier today and had a lot of fun. In WoW, I wouldn't be allowed to play it without overpowering it.
    In that it hasn't had any appreciable updates or even a new version for the newest expansion? That's the definition of left behind. It's still functional and that's great, but once you outgrow it's use it becomes a useless feature.

    Flex raiding is just an absolutely awful system that has caused nothing but problems like guilds targeting the easiest number of players per fight.
    That's interesting. I haven't had this issue. We've always ran whatever we had and invited whoever wanted to come. It was a huge boon and savings to us to be able to bring whoever we wanted, or if people weren't around we could still raid for fun.

    I don't understand your implication that FF14 doesn't allow mount collection, but obviously we all know the transom system is lacking.
    You misunderstood. I gave ff14 points for being good at this, as well as other items, but took away points in areas I felt it lacking. Much like PotD above, I gave points for it originally, but it also loses points because it's abandoned content for now unless they bring it back in EW.

    I wasn't comparing that either. What I am saying is that just because things work out at one play level doesn't mean they work out at another play level. At the highest play level, everyone is using the "right" stuff. That isn't the case at other play tiers, and the disparity gets larger the more you go down. Just because the top 1% has less of a difference between them doesn't mean that that disparity is the same at the 50th percentile of players. The farther you go down, the less "right" everyone's build is, and easier to play rotations are going to close the gap on harder to play rotations. Simply put: Balance at the 99th percentile doesn't mean balance at the 50th percentile, or vice versa.

    The median percentile of people who put their logs on websites is not the median percentile of players, so I just dismiss that argument.
    Irrelevant because that paradigm exists regardless of the game so the data is still true for both segments. Your dismissal of my analysis just shows that you'd rather push an agenda than actually look at the facts and frankly it's disappointing. I'm sorry that you aren't able to actually see that you're wrong about the balance. Sure it's worse, no argument there, but it's not THAT much worse, despite the staggering complexity difference.

  19. #279
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's even more fun once the MSQ starts being gated by item level.
    I believe i only ran into this in post ShB MSQ every new dungeon i came up to i had to then drop into the city buy a few crafted 510 pieces to push past the required ilvl. Which certainly wasn't enjoyable and pretty much drained all my accumulated gil.

  20. #280
    itemization
    voice acting
    tab targeting issues
    net code issues
    .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •