Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Admittedly I didn't play back then, but anything outside of Japan is 99 percent of the time an afterthought for all types of businesses, I doubt you can fully lay this at the feet of the western audience.
    I hear you. But it is pretty much common knowledge that the japanese community is more patient regarding like every freakin aspect of the game. I just can't picture them going the "last find the quickest route and be done with it" way. But if it is better to you that way, ignore the western part of what I said, and the rest stands.

Thats fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I'm not even close to max level and already feeling this. I've been too conditioned over the years between WoW's ability pruning and other MMOs only allowing 5 skills on the hotbar at a time that anything more than that starts to feel overwhelming. I may end up having to set up my controller, I've heard from others that FFXIV is a lot easier to play on one than keyboard & mouse.
    yeah same here.. except i'm crap at using controllers so that would most likely not help me one bit
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Icon View Post
    yeah same here.. except i'm crap at using controllers so that would most likely not help me one bit
    If you feel already overwhelmed with m+k, then yeah changing to controller might not help. Just setting up the controller and UI with it is a huge pain in the butt in itself.

1. The art style
    2. The race options
    3. The class (job) system

Whenever I think of getting stuck in, I remember those 3 aspects and just nope out.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2021-07-04 at 10:33 PM.

Pros:
    - The music is incredible and carries the rest of the game
    - Very customizable (but not perfect) UI
    - Technical graphics more advanced than WoW
    - Large number of customization options for races without being overwhelming
    - Great in game map
    - Great ability effects, animations, and sounds
    - Available on multiple platforms & cross platform functionality
    - Some depth to crafting/gathering
    - Good novice network
    - Unintentionally hilarious voice acting

Cons:
    - Abhorrent aesthetic style of characters, npcs, objects etc. i.e. Japanese in the worst possible way vs. something like Sekiro i.e. Japanese in the best possible way
    - No addon support for true customization
    - Can't jump off the majority of places i.e. invisible barriers all over the place
    - Lack of chat bubbles
    - Lack of Map Pins
    - Terrible controller support (the WoW addon Console Port does a much, much better job)
    - World feels like a series of connected instances and not seamless/"alive"
    - Unnecessary tediousness of crafting
    - Lack of "fun"/interesting abilities e.g. WoW Mage -> alter time, teleport, polymorph etc.
    - Classes feel homogenous due to role traits
    - PvP is appalling
    - Too much dialogue and not enough voice acting

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Sky View Post
    - Terrible controller support (the WoW addon Console Port does a much, much better job)
    The game works out of the gate with both Xbox and PS controllers. How is that terrible? Or are you referring to how time consuming it is to set keybinds etc. on a controller?

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    The game works out of the gate with both Xbox and PS controllers. How is that terrible? Or are you referring to how time consuming it is to set keybinds etc. on a controller?
    No, I mean:

- that only 2 out of 4 shoulder buttons (I'm including triggers here) can be assigned to directly bring up action bars by holding the button
    - one shoulder button brings up an extra action bar but only as a toggle i.e. not by holding the button
    - the buttons can only be assigned to a limited number of functions (without the use of macros) compared to all the pc keybinds
    - the extra cross hotbar function of double tapping LT or RT to bring up another action bar is bad
    - the confirm/cancel button is linked with the target functionality
    - targeting is relegated to the dpad
    - crossbar forces abilities to stay in the same position as their keybinds, rather than allowing them to be grouped independently

Etc.
    Last edited by Liquid Sky; 2021-07-04 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    I hear you. But it is pretty much common knowledge that the japanese community is more patient regarding like every freakin aspect of the game. I just can't picture them going the "last find the quickest route and be done with it" way. But if it is better to you that way, ignore the western part of what I said, and the rest stands.
    Is there somewhere I can read up on this? I don't know shit about the JP community other than they use DF/PF opposite to how we do and that they don't like foreigners and apparently have a widely used public blacklist of players in end game content.

I've never heard that they deliberately take the longest or slowest routes through dungeons? I just can't picture them going "let's find the slowest way through this dungeon and make it take longer than it needs to."

button bloat

people raged in wow when they removed a few skills from every spec back in wod but playing final fantasy with fking 15 different damage abilities that all do the same thing but still need to be done in a rotation is completely useless

Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    button bloat

people raged in wow when they removed a few skills from every spec back in wod but playing final fantasy with fking 15 different damage abilities that all do the same thing but still need to be done in a rotation is completely useless
    I can agree with bloat, especially a few jobs in particular.
    However some people missed having rotations. WoW used to have rotations and over time moved over to priority systems. The last class I remember using a rotations was CoP shadow priest in WOD.
    I think the healthiest thing is to have a bunch of different play styles. Some rotations, some priority systems, some builder/spenders etc etc. Both WoW and FFXIV could do better in this regard because in both games it's easy for classes to feel kinda similar.

Quest design has always been the biggest block for me, especially in the earlier expansions.

10+ Year Old Account
    After using ElvUI in WoW for a decade, the UI in FFXIV is really quite unacceptable to me. I understand it's relatively customizable (for a default UI, anyways), but compared to ElvUI in WoW, it is very poorly designed and not nearly informative enough. I've been scouring google looking for UI replacements, but even the most popular mods seem to only alter textures and colors. I just want my HP bar to be more than 4 pixels tall without scaling it to 900%, man.

I also just find the game to be very busy with text on my screen. Names, titles, FCs, NPC nameplates, other players damage numbers. I'm sure there's ways to turn off some of that, but it just feels very obtrusive by default. I have a lot of trouble seeing enemies or even some telegraphs because of the text and effect spam on my screen.

I guess most of my complaints are just "I wish FFXIV had addons like WoW". There's no way to satisfy everyone with a default UI, which is why addons have been such a big part of WoWs success imo.

The ARR MSQ has big problems with padding as well. Some simple fed-ex or fetch quests just seem to add multiple steps for seemingly no reason. Talk to this guy, go get thing, bring it back to the guy... now take it to this other guy. Now go tell the first guy thank you. Each of these steps takes a teleport, btw. There's also been multiple instances just in my last few hours questing of the game going "go get this thing. NO NOT THAT THING, the other thing." Like... why? What does that add to the storytelling?
    Last edited by Marxman; 2021-07-05 at 08:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    button bloat

This is on MMO players unfortunately. Gamers complain about and trash your game when skills are streamlined. So a developer might take a skill split it just to satisfy players.

3 button rotations are bad, but so are 20 button ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Why would anyone even want to make alts in FFXIV? And btw you can make them. There's just really not much point, unless you're a masochist.
    I think people make them for crafting and retainer purposes. Maybe RP. But yeah there's no 'need' for alts in the game. It's also not alt friendly.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The shit between finishing the ARR base game and starting HW is really bad.

The Auction house system sucks.

This game helped me understand why Blizzard put restrictions on Transmog, it's really off putting to join a trial and see your tank is in a chicken suit and your healer in a fish mask...

The character models are all bland and boring. You've got human, big human, small human, human with cat ears and tail, human with horns, human with rabbit ears, elf and khajiit.

The big one is getting more bank space (retainers) costs real money, not even a one time payment, but added to your sub fee...

Overall I enjoy it though, it's a good mmo to play when I'm burnt out of WoW and ESO.
    Last edited by Amsden; 2021-07-09 at 05:05 AM.

It really is. I was so excited finishing the 2.0 msq and thinking i had a few quests to reach heavensward. An entire expansion pack of questing later, (and so many mandatory dungeons/trials and raids later), i finally made it. Plus, that hildibrand chain... and beast tribes... its.... a lot. I sympathise.

But... im kinda glad for the respite in a weird way. It helped snap me out of msq grinding and made the game feel more grand. Its like those pandas said, slow down... life is for the living.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-07-09 at 02:27 PM.

little things that irk me:

-No notifications when friends log on
    -does not default to party chat when you enter a duty / raid
    -can't initiate combat / abilities from mounts
    -no mounting in cities / always having it auto-dismount for initiating quests
    -can't move / hide the instance / achievement text in the middle of the screen
    -right-click doesn't move the map back one layer
    -can't see quest markers on map unless you track them, can only track 3 at a time, no ability to place custom markers
    -can't disable the "recommended" overlay when logging in
    -chocobo inventory is redundant and just another useless keybind - should just be part of the regular inventory
    -inventory sorting / filtering is almost non-existent, the icons are also useless for telling me what something is 90% of the time
    -inn doesn't remember the music I played last, always defaults to the inn music
    -inventory always defaults to key items
    -no notification for low health
    Last edited by infinitemeridian; 2021-07-09 at 01:48 PM.

It's not that a lot of these complaints are invalid, but a lot of them really do sound like "I don't like that it isn't wow", which is a little like asking "Why don't you like this hamburger" and getting "It's not a hot dog" as a response.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Combat delay feels like some lag or something and GCD.

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh that's an easy one.. i dislike when my waifus(female lore characters) end up dying it is so sad.. i mean it took me forever to get over aeriths death in ff7 then they go and do it again in ff14.. *sadface*
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396