Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Testing Same-Faction Battlegrounds in Burning Crusade Classic

Testing Same-Faction Battlegrounds in Burning Crusade Classic
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Hello, Battleground enthusiasts!

As soon as we saw Battleground queue times go way up a few weeks ago, we got to work on our options for addressing the situation. They’ve all been discussed here and elsewhere, as you know, and in addition to following your discussions closely, we looked at game history and data. What was most evident from all of your feedback was: players want to continue to play on their chosen side of the faction conflict, players don’t want to wait in long queues for BGs, and players don’t want a highly convoluted mechanism for getting into a BG.

To solve those issues as best we can, we’ve been internally testing a configuration where the War Games system is used to bring about Horde vs. Horde or Alliance vs. Alliance Battlegrounds from the regular queue, and we’re ready to test it in the live game. Here’s the plan:

• Starting tomorrow (Friday, July 2), we’re going to enable same-faction Battlegrounds.
    • You’ll queue for BGs as usual, and the matchmaker will first try to make an opposite-faction match for you.
    • If an opposite-faction match cannot be quickly made, you’ll be matched against a team from your faction.
    • Rewards such as Honor and Reputation will be assigned as usual.

We’ve been thinking of these like military training exercises, and to help get that feeling across in-game, we’re testing putting masks and tabards on the team playing out of the enemy faction’s base.

Please note that same-faction play won’t be available for Alterac Valley, which was never hooked up for War Games and would be particularly awkward for the team that found themselves fighting alongside a great number of enemy NPCs.

We’ll follow the action closely throughout the weekend, and with scheduled maintenance next week (July 6 in this region), we’re going to return the matchmaker to its regular configuration and analyze what happened.

When same-faction play goes live tomorrow, we’ll open a new feedback thread in this forum. After you’ve played some BGs, please come to that new thread and let us know how it went.

Thank you!

Congratulations to all who used their one-per-account boost on Alliance char only because of instant queues, you've essentially wasted your boost. I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Queendom View Post
    Congratulations to all who used their one-per-account boost on Alliance char only because of instant queues, you've essentially wasted your boost. I did.
    The Alliance queue time should stay the same, why complain?

Awful. This will hurt alliance activity and ruin the image of a desired 50/50 faction ratio. For example we have 3 horde refugee trials in our guild, they'll probably return to their horde mains now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    Because the only advantage that Alliance was for me is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    Reading comprehension? The reasoning this poster rolled alliance was because horde que times are significantly longer and that outweighed the benefits for rolling horde. With this change, that benefit no longer applies and rolling horde is now significantly more advantageous.
    Last edited by Dequanacus; 2021-07-01 at 06:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by DanskenVI View Post
    Awful. This will hurt alliance activity and ruin the image of a desired 50/50 faction ratio. For example we have 3 horde refugee trials in our guild, they'll probably return to their horde mains now.
    If you think that 1h+ queues for Horde would somehow salvage a 50/50 ratio for you, then you're fooling yourself.

If you want have some semblance if faction balance, you'd need:
    -Rebalanced PvE racials
    -Rebalanced PvP racials
    -Possibly seperate rankings for Alliance and Horde

People that do not play PvP don't give the slightest fuck about this and those people generally favor Horde in TBC, because Orc & Troll racials are pretty decent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Queendom View Post
    Because the only advantage that Alliance was for me is gone.
    Considering how insane Horde queues have become, Alliance advantage isn't gone or diminished strictly speaking, you'll likely still have instant pops.
    Alliance also had nearly instant queue pops in Classic, despite Horde having 5-15 minute queue times.

However, the disadvantage for Horde is now smaller, as queue times will no longer be at 1h+ but rather 20-30min, any Alliance queue will still be prioritized.

I play alliance and I am honestly more than fine with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Considering how insane Horde queues have become, Alliance advantage isn't gone or diminished strictly speaking, you'll likely still have instant pops.
    Alliance also had nearly instant queue pops in Classic, despite Horde having 5-15 minute queue times.

However, the disadvantage for Horde is now smaller, as queue times will no longer be at 1h+ but rather 20-30min, any Alliance queue will still be prioritized.
    The point is that said poster chose not to boost a horde despite wanting to on the basis of horde having long queue times. Alliance queue's staying the same is besides the point of the poster feeling that their time on an alliance character is now wasted when they could have made a horde and now have same queue times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now i am waiting for the first Horde players to whine about OP Enemy (also Horde) racials.

An Orc warlock realizing why fighting Forsaken is busted, or Forsaken Rogues complaining why their stuns dont work on Orcs...

Its gonna be a shiatshow

/grabs Popcorn

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone knew Faction imbalance would be imminent in TBCC and in 2 years in Wrath, yet same Faction BG's is their solution ?
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

well then disable racials in pvp. easy as that

Quote Originally Posted by Mhyroth View Post
    Everyone knew Faction imbalance would be imminent in TBCC and in 2 years in Wrath, yet same Faction BG's is their solution ?
    What would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Dequanacus View Post
    The point is that said poster chose not to boost a horde despite wanting to on the basis of horde having long queue times. Alliance queue's staying the same is besides the point of the poster feeling that their time on an alliance character is now wasted when they could have made a horde and now have same queue times.
    It doesn't change the fact that Alliance will still have (near) instant queues and will face less honor farmers in the outdoor world.
    And claiming that Horde will have the "same queue times" is a massive assumption, because it will only be enabled when queue times are long(er) for a certain faction, hence Alliance will still have faster queues than Horde.

Putting that aside that taking action before any official bluepost that acknowledges the issue is just not a smart move.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyswayzee View Post
    well then disable racials in pvp. easy as that
    People don't just play Horde for PvP racials, i have the wild theory that some people take PvE into consideration as well.

And here we aren't even mentioning that then TBC would leap ahead of Retail, as Retail still allows racials in PvP.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2021-07-01 at 07:59 PM.

While I understand it sucks to wait 60+ minutes to get into a BG. This is not a good solution for the game.

My server is already 70% horde. On a PvP server. Wanting to level or do anything in the world, you are outnumbered and either Horde on the same quest will kill you, or some bored 70 with epic flying will stand on his flying mount above your corpse and fly down and kill you immediatly on respawn. Very fun. This will only make faction imbalance worse.

Where is the willingness to make WotF a 10 min cooldown? Where is the willingness to make Orc stun resist 5%? Where is the will to make Shadowmeld usable in combat?

"Some changes" so far has been giving 58 boost, a paid for mount, same faction BGs, lack of Guild Banks, layering upon layering, "harder raids" (are they even harder than they were? Do we have any proof?). It's an awful list.

But sure the community will eat this up. Alliance are being egoistical, poor Horde, it's a good change.

I give TBCC 1 year until we have services like faction change, boost of Draenei/BE not limited to 1 character and gold tokens.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most people weren't going to change to Alliance regardless of what they ended up doing. Social structures are in place and you're foolish to think that even with an hour or longer PvP queue (which not everybody does to begin with), that people are going to jump ship. Yeah, some people might, but considering faction transfers didn't historically become a thing until WoTLK (which would would also complain about if they enabled those), it's not going to move the needle at all.

It doesn't matter if people knew that Horde queues were going to be longer, people simply aren't going to change because of it. If you look at server loads Alliance predominately play on PvE servers anyway and I'd garner that most people that play Classic as a whole aren't doing it exclusively for BGs, WPVP or Arena in TBCC. Most people still play classic versions of the game exclusively because it has relatively easy and stress free PvE content.

At the end of the day it does way less harm to the Alliance than people here will have you believe and it does far more positive for those that were solely interested in doing arena or BGs with friends on the faction that those people play on. I don't think we need to run the numbers to conclude that Classic has a lot of dad gamers and the prospect of sitting down with your buds in the evening to potentially do some BGs starts to lose it's luster fast when you spend 75% of the time in a queue and 25% of the time actually playing the game.

Again, it doesn't matter if the warning signs were there. You're asking the community to regulate itself which isn't going to happen, and in the event they allowed faction transfers (which again, people would complain about because it's REEE changes) you're expecting that it's going to fix everything. It's pretty delusional. Realistically it's just better they implement things in the game that make the player experience better. Much like Classic WoW would've been 10x better if the chrono beacon was available in P1, and not 4 months after P6 was launched.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    Now i am waiting for the first Horde players to whine about OP Enemy (also Horde) racials.

An Orc warlock realizing why fighting Forsaken is busted, or Forsaken Rogues complaining why their stuns dont work on Orcs...

Its gonna be a shiatshow

/grabs Popcorn
    they get confronted with that all the time in arenas. not that horde isnt facing horde

Means Horde don't get guaranteed easy wins anymore. I expect a lot of butthurt in the guise of "well this isn't good for lore".

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by phattsao View Post
    Means Horde don't get guaranteed easy wins anymore. I expect a lot of butthurt in the guise of "well this isn't good for lore".
    I mean, Horde already fight Horde in arena.

Regardless of how wild the Lore is in WoW, it's not even a stretch to imagine the same faction fighting against another of the same faction to "practice". I don't know what the name of such an event would be, or if it has a real world counterpart to draw inspiration from. It might be called a wargame though, but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post

Which means that Horde has the Advantage now. Before long queue times offset their better racials and the most played race in the game. Now they have better racials, the prettiest race AND fast queue times. There's no reason to play Alliance apart from RP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by phattsao View Post
    Why are we not able to play with the other faction in PvE? Even on retail? This change is moronic, albeit not quite as moronic as merc mode.