Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    There can be only 2 answers: either because your content is garbage or its about money. Otherwise I don't see a point, majority of players dont have OCD.
    You do realize that raid lock outs are a time gate right? It is always weird how people complain about time gates when it involves story but not when it includes instance lock outs and stuff. Using your argument all raids, dungeons, and other instances have always been garbage. Which begs the question why was garbage so popular? Remember to that Vanilla and TBC had attunements which are just another form of time gating. Yet it was thought to be "not garbage" by enough players for Blizzard to create Classic servers. Weird huh?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    You do realize that raid lock outs are a time gate right? It is always weird how people complain about time gates when it involves story but not when it includes instance lock outs and stuff. Using your argument all raids, dungeons, and other instances have always been garbage. Which begs the question why was garbage so popular? Remember to that Vanilla and TBC had attunements which are just another form of time gating. Yet it was thought to be "not garbage" by enough players for Blizzard to create Classic servers. Weird huh?
    You compare attunements to todays time gates? Onyxia pre-q, UBRS key and MC litterally takes some hours to do. Can be hard to do some parts if you cant find a group due to low pop server etc. Time-gates litterally even makes their own systems seems obsolete - 233 gear gated behind was it renown 75. I dont know how slow TBC is, but KZ is just run 3 5 mans pretty much. BT questline was also fast to do, but full quest line is not unlocked.

What makes these games good is that you can play 12 hours 1 day doing only 1 thing if you want to - Aka if I wanted to grind anima all in one day I can do that in say TBC...Anima just being rep grinding in TBC or whatever.
    Last edited by Djuntas; 2021-07-05 at 06:24 PM.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    by timegating content to last more than one month so people feel the need to "finish the story".
    Some just unsub until it’s all available
    At least according to this forum

Which begs the question why was garbage so popular? Remember to that Vanilla and TBC had attunements which are just another form of time gating. Yet it was thought to be "not garbage" by enough players for Blizzard to create Classic servers. Weird huh?
    I think this is pretty obvious: Attunements in Classic / TBC feel pretty organic to the world.

You can't just walk into a dragons lair, they have some magic to protect themselves, now you need some trinket to bypass said magic.

It's something very different to Blizzard just disabling an instance teleport because you're not supposed to be in there yet.
    They have serve some secondary purpose, such as ensuring that people continue to run dungeons throughout the expansion and not just skip towards raid content.

Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    The common suggestion to unsub if you're not enjoying the fucking game. But apparently it's an alien concept to people who post on forums not to pay for a product that doesn't meet their arbitrary expectations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    I think this is pretty obvious: Attunements in Classic / TBC feel pretty organic to the world.

You can't just walk into a dragons lair, they have some magic to protect themselves, now you need some trinket to bypass said magic.

It's something very different to Blizzard just disabling an instance teleport because you're not supposed to be in there yet.
    They have serve some secondary purpose, such as ensuring that people continue to run dungeons throughout the expansion and not just skip towards raid content.
    Attunements are completely fucking pointless. Meaningless RP elements designed to artificially gate content for no real compelling reason. Anybody championing the addition of attunements back into the game should be forced to watch, on repeat, exactly how WildStar failed for this precise reasoning.

15+ Year Old Account
    But that reason can be done even with out attunements. Which we see with Modern WoW and how there are story elements tied to the raid but do not restrict entry into the raid. Tomb of Sargeras had an entire zone, faction, and quest hub dedicated to "entry into the raid".
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Attunements are completely fucking pointless. Meaningless RP elements designed to artificially gate content for no real compelling reason.
    I'm not going to argue about the value of attunements, i am pointing out the difference.

If you fail to grasp the difference between something such as the Onyxia / Karazhan attunement and Blizzard just straight saying "no, you cannot do X until date Y", then that's on you.
    exactly how WildStar failed for this precise reasoning.
    At this point we need a name for this, instead of "Godwin's law", something like "Wildstar's law".
    But that reason can be done even with out attunements. Which we see with Modern WoW and how there are story elements tied to the raid but do not restrict entry into the raid. Tomb of Sargeras had an entire zone, faction, and quest hub dedicated to "entry into the raid".
    RPG's can also work without classes.
    Or gear.
    Or leveling.

RPG's are pretty flexible when it comes to "what goes into them".

There is nothing written in stone that says "Attunements are a requirement", but i personally think they add some flavor to it as it makes more sense to me that the enemy has some magical protections in place that not everybody can just enter into their hideout.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2021-07-05 at 07:37 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not going to argue about the value of attunements, i am pointing out the difference. If you fail to grasp the difference between something such as the Onyxia / Karazhan attunement and Blizzard just straight saying "no, you cannot do X until date Y", then that's on you.
    But the quest line is saying you can't do X until Y date. It is the same thing just different factors for the date.

But the quest line is saying you can't do X until Y date. It is the same thing just different factors for the date.
    Nah dude, you gotta think about the flavor of your imaginary pixels being held behind other pointless imaginary pixels. Attunements = GOOD; time gating = BAD!

No, the difference is once again completely obvious and yet you miss it somehow.

First off, it entirely depends on you.
    You are in control when you want to start the attunement and finish it, you can do the entire Onyxia questchain in a single day if you want to, same goes for Kara.
    There is absolutely no timegate involved other than the limits to you own playtime.

In the case of timegating, there is virtually nothing you can do but wait, you can't go faster, you just sit on your ass until Blizzard says "now you can enter".

Timegating generally refers to Blizzard artifically blocking people from accessing a given content with the player having no ability to bypass it.
    You cannot complete the same daily quest multiple times in order to get Rep faster, you are forced to come back tomorrow if you want to continue.

This is completely different a grind / questhchain that simply takes X hours but you are completely free on whether you want to complete it in a single day or over the course of multiple days / weeks.

Simply because both involve "time" doesn't make them similiar.
    Nah dude, you gotta think about the flavor of your imaginary pixels being held behind other pointless imaginary pixels. Attunements = GOOD; time gating = BAD!
    Again, you are free to believe whatever you want about attunements, but if the difference between the old school attunements and flatout timegating eludes you, then you are just obtuse in order to defend timegating.

It's completely fine to not like attunements, but that doesn't mean that way Blizzard timegates is somehow similiar or better.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2021-07-05 at 07:48 PM.

Again, you are free to believe whatever you want about attunements, but if the difference between the old school attunements and flatout timegating eludes you, then you are just obtuse in order to defend timegating.
    I'm not defending anything. I don't give a shit either way. I've played the game when it had attunements and I've played the game when it didn't have attunements. My personal enjoyment of this game was amplified tenfold in the latter version because I like to play alts. Please don't make this a semantic argument about what does or does not represent a time gate. I personally thought attunements were an even worse version of timegating that heavily discouraged playing alts and multiclassing for the extremely nebulous desire to shoehorn an RP element into the game that was wholly unnecessary.
    Last edited by Relapses; 2021-07-05 at 07:53 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    It does seem to be the most sensible thing to do. If Blizzard timegates their content, it's reasonable to timegate one's money.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

I'm not defending anything.
    Considering your mocking replies, you are in my view effectively defending timegating by refusing to accept that attunements and timegating are in fact two different things.

As the argument initially was "Classic / TBC had attunements and attunements are identical to timegating, right?"
    Please don't make this a semantic argument about what does or does not represent a time gate.
    I did and i will, there is a design difference between Attunements and timegating.

15+ Year Old Account
    It really is a funny argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    It does seem to be the most sensible thing to do. If Blizzard timegates their content, it's reasonable to timegate one's money.
    Exactly good sir

I did and i will, there is a design difference between Attunements and timegating.
    Yes, I don't think I've meant to imply that there isn't a difference between the two; as I've said, the difference is that one is much worse than the other and still effectively serves the same exact purpose. If you want to call attunements "time gating with extra steps that's also really fucking bad and toxic for the game itself" then yes, I'd agree completely. It's different, but not in a way that actually benefits anybody.

15+ Year Old Account
    As the argument initially was "Classic / TBC had attunements and attunements are identical to timegating, right?"
    Actually the argument was that Attunements are a form of time gating and they are the same in that regard. It seeks to articifically extend and gate content. A new recruit? Have to get them attuned even though your guild has the instance on farm. It is why poaching was a thing back then.

Instance lock outs are a form of time gating as well. That is why just saying "time gating is bad" is dumb. Because it isn't about time being used as a gate because Instances are pretty much universally accepted being once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Yep, so it only makes sense to sub at the end of patches if you are still not given up.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Actually the argument was that Attunements are a form of time gating and they are the same in that regard. It seeks to articifically extend and gate content. A new recruit? Have to get them attuned even though your guild has the instance on farm. It is why poaching was a thing back then.
    This was one of the worst aspects of attunements. You could be in a guild struggling to kill Vashj/KT and suddenly log in one week to find one of your MTs peaced out because another better guild offered to trial and attune them and you had nobody to replace the player with. Eventually you'd get a replacement then you'd lose one of your top performing healers or DPS. It destroyed plenty of guilds and made the prospect of trying to get into a guild clearing BT/SWP that much more daunting. Attunements in general created an incredibly toxic atmosphere for the game and I find it absolutely perplexing that we have people almost two decades after their removal donning rose-tinted glasses to fawn over the "positive RP elements" they provided the game. Euch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Oh look another "we hate wow" circlejerk thread. Havent seen one of those in the last 5minutes.
    Exactly no matter what was released people just love to complain and like each others crap