Page 1 of 9
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    “Why should i worship you if i can get a better deal at Wallmart?”

    Night elfs throughout their history (post Azshara) were known as deeply religious and pious people, devoting much of their culture to their deity - Elune, Goddess of the Moon. However lately we start to see more and more signs of her uncaring, or even parasitic nature. It feels to me like that bond has grown extremely one-sided…

    Her entire lack of care or help during their darkest hour in War of Thorns, aside from a dubious “peaceful death” granted to those stuck in the temple.

    Her lack of care for their souls, which even Bwonsamdi, a relatively minor troll god could easily pull off by saving souls of his followers from the Maw.

    Her “power boost” being not only unimpressive (at the start) but also downright taken away (in the last battle) at the most inopportune moment without a clear reason.

    So far it feels like she cruelly toys with her followers, peak kindness of hers being a “gift” of a painless death after which your soul is plunged into the Maw.

    I dont argue that Gods or Powers must always save their followers in any situation, no. But so far we have seen other “deities” in WoW achieving far more then Elune while not requring such a dogmatic following.

    Then why should night elfs subject themselves to her with such fervor? There are many other powers in WoW universe that are far more reliable , reward you for devotion and generally are far better known and understood then a mysterious moon deity.

    Its just comes along as a… shame. Night elfs would be better off with another deity to love and worship, they are spiritual and devote people and they deserve better then to heap praise and worship at the feet of an uncaring, aloof goddess which ignores or mocks them.

  2. #2
    Bwonsamdi>>>>>>>>elune

  3. #3
    I read an interesting theory around here that Elune is actually Danuser, hence why Elune pretends to care about the night elves, to keep them happy and loyal (and keep their players subscribed), but at the same time deeply loves Sylvanas, that's why she never does anything when Sylvanas threatens the night elves. Because she loves Sylvanas.

    That's also why Elune (aka Danuser) favours women over men, prior to WoW only the Night elf women could become zealots of Elune after all.

    Many believed that Nathanos was Danuser's self-insert, but it was actually Elune, who would have guessed.

  4. #4
    As a gnome player, I would worship Elune to get a taste of the night elves players tears.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    As a gnome player, I would worship Elune to get a taste of the night elves players tears.
    I really shouldnt, but i will reply.

    Any room temperature IQ comments about tears, crying or anything like that are discarded into the trash bin.

    Players have a right to grievances and to sound those grievances in public forums. Be they alliance, horde, fans of any characater or haters of any character.

    If you got a problem with that then its entirely your issue. Ignore options exist for a reason.

  6. #6
    The problem is not elune per se.
    The problem is Daloser and the rest of the wow writing team.

    They are elementary school dropouts who at best write stories at kindergarden level.
    At this point i am sure that they are monthly paying blizzard just so they are able to keep writing this drivel as the official story.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    The problem is not elune per se.
    The problem is Daloser and the rest of the wow writing team.

    They are elementary school dropouts who at best write stories at kindergarden level.
    At this point i am sure that they are monthly paying blizzard just so they are able to keep writing this drivel as the official story.
    Its more likely that Blizz just hire people based on nepotism and “who knows who” basis then by the merit of writing skill, love for the franchise or knowledge.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by VladlTutushkin View Post
    I really shouldnt, but i will reply.

    Any room temperature IQ comments about tears, crying or anything like that are discarded into the trash bin.

    Players have a right to grievances and to sound those grievances in public forums. Be they alliance, horde, fans of any characater or haters of any character.

    If you got a problem with that then its entirely your issue. Ignore options exist for a reason.

    When you say room temperature, you're going with Celsius or Farenheit ? Because it would be funny to have my intelligence insulted in a retarded unit.

    Jokes aside, you can "sound your grievance" all you like, there's a lot for everyone to cry on. I just find those "Blizz hates night elves" comments as nonsensical and egocentric as the "Horde bias/Alliance bias" threads.

    Sure Blizzard did dirty to the night elves. They also did dirty to the dragons. They did dirty to the gnomes, to the trolls, the Horde, the Alliance... What makes me tick is that people are less outraged by the bad writing and more by the simple fact that a calamity strikes their waifu race. And that they don't automatically get "compensation" or retribution for it. And then they celebrated the bad writing in the "good things" that happen to them, because it looks like a victory.

    So if you want to talk about room temperature (Celsius) IQ, just look at the dogs who bark the wrong tree.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    When you say room temperature, you're going with Celsius or Farenheit ? Because it would be funny to have my intelligence insulted in a retarded unit.

    Jokes aside, you can "sound your grievance" all you like, there's a lot for everyone to cry on. I just find those "Blizz hates night elves" comments as nonsensical and egocentric as the "Horde bias/Alliance bias" threads.

    Sure Blizzard did dirty to the night elves. They also did dirty to the dragons. They did dirty to the gnomes, to the trolls, the Horde, the Alliance... What makes me tick is that people are less outraged by the bad writing and more by the simple fact that a calamity strikes their waifu race. And that they don't automatically get "compensation" or retribution for it. And then they celebrated the bad writing in the "good things" that happen to them, because it looks like a victory.

    So if you want to talk about room temperature (Celsius) IQ, just look at the dogs who bark the wrong tree.
    Yes i meant Celsius.

    And the topic was already well explained, talked about and requires no more explanation. I am not going to derail this thread by writing a sheet after sheet of text to go over what others (and me) did a thousand time before and explain why its not “ugh those pesky selfish nelf fans” problem, but a larger, overlapping narrative problem which also seems to sting Alliance and nelfs harsher for whatever reason. Be it malice, string of misfortunes or perhaps lack of skill on writers part.

    This about sums it up and ends here.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by VladlTutushkin View Post
    Night elfs throughout their history (post Azshara) were known as deeply religious and pious people, devoting much of their culture to their deity - Elune, Goddess of the Moon. However lately we start to see more and more signs of her uncaring, or even parasitic nature. It feels to me like that bond has grown extremely one-sided…

    Her entire lack of care or help during their darkest hour in War of Thorns, aside from a dubious “peaceful death” granted to those stuck in the temple.

    Her lack of care for their souls, which even Bwonsamdi, a relatively minor troll god could easily pull off by saving souls of his followers from the Maw.

    Her “power boost” being not only unimpressive (at the start) but also downright taken away (in the last battle) at the most inopportune moment without a clear reason.

    So far it feels like she cruelly toys with her followers, peak kindness of hers being a “gift” of a painless death after which your soul is plunged into the Maw.

    I dont argue that Gods or Powers must always save their followers in any situation, no. But so far we have seen other “deities” in WoW achieving far more then Elune while not requring such a dogmatic following.

    Then why should night elfs subject themselves to her with such fervor? There are many other powers in WoW universe that are far more reliable , reward you for devotion and generally are far better known and understood then a mysterious moon deity.

    Its just comes along as a… shame. Night elfs would be better off with another deity to love and worship, they are spiritual and devote people and they deserve better then to heap praise and worship at the feet of an uncaring, aloof goddess which ignores or mocks them.
    I mean, it's Night Elves. The burning and massacre was well deserved, and Elune was doing what all Gods do, ignoring their followers.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMatticus View Post
    I mean, it's Night Elves. The burning and massacre was well deserved, and Elune was doing what all Gods do, ignoring their followers.
    1) Not true.

    2) Not in WoW.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    Jokes aside, you can "sound your grievance" all you like, there's a lot for everyone to cry on. I just find those "Blizz hates night elves" comments as nonsensical and egocentric as the "Horde bias/Alliance bias" threads.
    Egocentric maybe (Attention for any character/race comes at the expense of the others), but nonsensical? I don't think so.

    Since WoW started, the Night elf storylines have been following the same scheme, every time it's big build-up, Night elves *almost* being cool, and then the rug gets pulled out from under them, it's not even a surprise twist anymore.

    The Night elves manage to stop the Horde at the border to Darkshore, oh wait, a hidden path from Felwood, they're hosed. Tyrande attacks Sylvanas and has her on the ropes! Oh wait, her Night warrior battery runs out of juice, and Sylvanas gets away again. They're holding off Garrosh and his army at the Falfarren river, oh wait, he pulled open a can of Magnataurs, oops!

    Sure, Blizz has plans with Sylvanas (Selling crap with her face on it, probably), but for the Night elves it's always "Almost cool, oh wait, lol no", which makes being the punching bag of the Horde just that little bit worse.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Egocentric maybe (Attention for any character/race comes at the expense of the others), but nonsensical? I don't think so.

    Since WoW started, the Night elf storylines have been following the same scheme, every time it's big build-up, Night elves *almost* being cool, and then the rug gets pulled out from under them, it's not even a surprise twist anymore.

    The Night elves manage to stop the Horde at the border to Darkshore, oh wait, a hidden path from Felwood, they're hosed. Tyrande attacks Sylvanas and has her on the ropes! Oh wait, her Night warrior battery runs out of juice, and Sylvanas gets away again. They're holding off Garrosh and his army at the Falfarren river, oh wait, he pulled open a can of Magnataurs, oops!

    Sure, Blizz has plans with Sylvanas (Selling crap with her face on it, probably), but for the Night elves it's always "Almost cool, oh wait, lol no", which makes being the punching bag of the Horde just that little bit worse.
    Its the “meme status” which is not funny anymore. Its just not okay to have a race as a perpetual loser which eventually not even taken seriously by others.

    “War in warcraft”? More like “haha, what they gonna do, die to try and make us sad?” In Warcraft. Which is a fucked up state of being.

  14. #14
    WE haven't seen the full picture yet, so we can make these speculations.

    The problem is however is how blizzard can quickly change something later on, using their vagueness in the past to twist things. So your theory could be right and what I expect to happen wrong.

    Based on what Elune has been shown so far, and described, she is good and benevolent - and sometimes when harsh things happen or sacrifices need to be to be made, we can misunderstand the person, a writer really plays with this by not fully revealing the entire motivation and circumstances that led a person to make that decision or take that action for good. Still because we don't know if they'll change something, it could be that they've changed Elune not a benevolent only type, but having a balance of both, but her intentions or actions always for the greatest mount of good. - which sometimes means letting something terrible happen, either that or they'll change her to something else

    We must wait and see
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2021-07-03 at 10:14 AM.
    Valewalker Farodin: "Magic has long been a vice of the elves. It shaped us, and lifted us out of the darkness - but without balance, it also threatens to unmake us."

    My long replies often repeat info to make sure: You get all the info I have, It is clear and complete, in case you didn't actually read the first one. New readers have context at hand and are reminded of the point

  15. #15
    The Lightbringer Wangming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Not Azeroth
    Posts
    3,264
    Night Elves should just practice Primal summoning. Much more relyable. You worhsip your god, it materializes and yeets your enemies.

  16. #16
    Before the Night Warrior arc little was known about Elune, so she was presumed THE goddess or Warcraft universe, and a benevolent, purely good being.

    Seeing what kind of power she grants, and learning about her more in Shadowlands, I think it's time to abandon that presumption. First, she's not THE goddess and might even not be the most powerful being anymore. Seeing as how she's kind of using the Night Elves and giving Tyrande her power only when she wants to, she's not that far away from your typical cosmic force that's also exploiting its users / worshipers.

  17. #17
    this is the same way women treat men in real life society.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by VladlTutushkin View Post
    lack of skill on writers part.
    Yeah, this sums it up. You could begin and end with that. No need to do "We're the victims here" threads.

    Night elves just have that "declining ancient elven race" vibe to them. And Blizz plays with it. Poorly.

  19. #19
    In monotheistic theology the answer is usually 'Who are you to question god, he's not there for you to serve him, you are here to serve him'.

    But you're right, in a world where gods are in direct competition with each others, it drastically lowers the negotiation position of any god. They'll have to make it worth your while or you move over to another deity. It's only fair.

    This is much closer to primitive religions like the Babylonians had. Society was arranged in various cults / castes worshipping various gods. It's not clear how much competition there was between these gods, but at least none of them had a final say over anything.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    In monotheistic theology the answer is usually 'Who are you to question god, he's not there for you to serve him, you are here to serve him'.

    But you're right, in a world where gods are in direct competition with each others, it drastically lowers the negotiation position of any god. They'll have to make it worth your while or you move over to another deity. It's only fair.

    This is much closer to primitive religions like the Babylonians had. Society was arranged in various cults / castes worshipping various gods. It's not clear how much competition there was between these gods, but at least none of them had a final say over anything.
    That. Also with revelation that Elune is not some God Above Gods (godly shahansha so to say) but just a disgruntled runway sister of the Winter Queen it really puts a question mark on "why shall we worship this deity?

    Because in a world with so many actual gods and deities who offer various "incentives" to follow them Elune seems like one of the most fickle, petty and quirky ones.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •