15+ Year Old Account

Solution to hot GPU and loud fans

I have been a PC gamer all my life. I thought I knew everything about how PCs work, but there was one thing that I never knew for some reason, or at least didn't remember. That very high FPS makes your GPU heat significantly. I've always hated how loud GPU fans are in graphics intensive games, but once I found a loud game having FPS limit setting and tried it for the first time, my GPU went silent instantly once I set it to 60-70 with no drawbacks.

Even older games like CK2 makes my fans spin fast, but there's no FPS limit setting and the FPS is probably in the hundreds. The solution to that and every other game was to use Nvidia's control panel and use the global FPS limit setting that's applied to every game, so didn't even have to install any 3rd party tool.

I'm sure it's common knowledge and almost everyone knows it, but I didn't, so perhaps there's someone else that can use this information as well.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Too many games crash when using the fps limit, so ive had to just turn on v-sync instead.

Keep your room freezing cold (window AC)
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I use the AMD Chill feature to limit max FPS to 144 in some games I play, particularly 4X games that aren't graphically demanding like Stellaris. Keeps GPU utilization and temperature so low that the GPU fans don't even spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Yeah I use the AMD Chill feature to limit max FPS to 144 in some games I play, particularly 4X games that aren't graphically demanding like Stellaris. Keeps GPU utilization and temperature so low that the GPU fans don't even spin.
    Same, i have set FPS limit just below max screen refresh. It's just useless to have the gpu push out frames your display cannot show
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.