Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

We keep talking about "WoW 2.0"; but I think we miss the obviously better solution.

Just re-tell the story from the start in a new game in a better way (or try to) which means a new game engine and better graphics and better mechanics and delete all old players achievements and items and transmogs and keep them only as feats of strength (because oh boy some old players WILL cry but you have to rip the band-aid to improve) and maybe only keep it as a "classic server of Shadowlands".

Besides: that's exactly what WoW did to Warcraft: it re-told a story; why not do it again?

No, you missed the obviously better solution, just keep releasing expansions for WoW 1.0 because they'll keep making billions from the crack addicts who have been playing this game for 15 years and are too far down the hole to quit.

Have you even played Warcraft 3? First 3 expansions and Legion directly follow-up on events of Warcraft 3, it's not retelling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    Besides: that's exactly what WoW did to Warcraft: it re-told a story; why not do it again?
    It's really not. Like, even remotely.

Warcraft 3 tells of how the Orcs settled Durotar, made friends with the Tauren, met the Night Elves, and defended the world tree from Archimonde.
    There's also a campaign focused on the Blood Elves and their recovery after Arthas drops by and uses their font of power to revive Kel'thuzad .. And you know, how Arthas falls and becomes the Lich King, and ravages his own homeland

The only part of that that WoW retells is defending Mount Hyjal from Archimonde, and even that is very clearly not taking place in the present, because you have to go to a place called "The caverns of time" to do it

WoW is a continuation of Warcraft 3 and the games that came before it

Be nice to see the game 'remastered' though, so to speak.

My GF showed me the dumbest thread she has ever seen in a "soon to be mother 2021" group on Facebook. About a soon to be mother refusing to have any kind of medicine home since it's more dangerous than letting your child die.

And this thread still takes the cake as the most stupid thing I've read today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    Just re-tell the story from the start in a new game in a better way (or try to) which means a new game engine and better graphics and better mechanics and delete all old players achievements and items and transmogs and keep them only as feats of strength (because oh boy some old players WILL cry but you have to rip the band-aid to improve) and maybe only keep it as a "classic server of Shadowlands".

So, a re-launch of WoW with the new updates?

No thanks, really. We have the Classic project for retelling, and WoW2 in my opinion should be a larger step forward in WoW's development of world and story.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by bRighteyez View Post
    They update older models practically every expansion.

And anyone who says they need a new engine has no idea what a game engine is. Vanilla and Shadowlands are not compatible, it's been continually updated for like 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post

And anyone who says they need a new engine has no idea what a game engine is. Vanilla and Shadowlands are not compatible, it's been continually updated for like 15 years.
    This ^ And it's not even just minor tweaks here and there. The engine is almost completely rebuilt by now. Explained very simple in the classic panel at Blizzcon during the announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post

I'm well aware, i said it would be nice smart ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaito92 View Post
    Most of the subs nowadays are from sunk cost fallacy victims so i doubt a reset will ever happen
    There's a large population of people who like playing the game. I don't understand where the "everyone is suffering from stockholm syndrome/sunk cost" canard comes from, but it's likely projection.

15+ Year Old Account
    World of Diablo, World of Starcraft.
    GO!
    New graphics with same stuff (dungeons, 10-25/40m raids, arena, bg, rares, quests etc etc)
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Retell the same story? No thanks.

Reset the story somehow. New stakes, new factions, that sort of thing. Light vs. Void? Sure, why not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems to me if they were going to do a re-mastering they would have done it with Classic. Even the no-changes crowd would likely have been OK with some precisely done graphic upgrades.

I think that's off the table for now unless they fold it in with an expansion. That's always possible.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kaito92 View Post
    Ok, i didnt deny that? Neither has that too with my argument
    Seems like you are the one that is projecting and seething here buddy
    Seething? You have some strange definitions, my dude.

This just seems weird, not to mention stupid. Like an unhealthy obsession to play basically the same thing all over gain.

I'd like a non MMO Warcraft game to either move there story in a new direction or even start a new timeline or whatever but I very strongly doubt it'll ever happen, and if Reforged is any indication I'm not certain at all I want them tackling a RTS anyway.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    This just seems weird, not to mention stupid. Like an unhealthy obsession to play basically the same thing all over gain.
    People are looking for a feeling that they once had from a game that they will never get back again. I know the feeling but its a bitter pill to swallow for some.

Quote Originally Posted by bRighteyez View Post
    If it's anything like WC3 Reforged I'll pass. The game is beautiful as is. Its art style is its biggest strength by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    No, you missed the obviously better solution, just keep releasing expansions for WoW 1.0 because they'll keep making billions from the crack addicts who have been playing this game for 15 years and are too far down the hole to quit.
    I think the ones playing Retail are the real addicts, not the ones playing Classic...
    A lot of the classic players actually stopped playing WoW and came back to enjoy playing for a few hours.