Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Sounds like FF14 beat out WoW on Twitch here the other day. I think it's good that Blizzard is having their asses handed to them for once. I agree with the underlying sentiments of the post. Blizzard needs a swift boot in the ass and I think getting trounced is the best way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Sounds like FF14 beat out WoW on Twitch here the other day. I think it's good that Blizzard is having their asses handed to them for once. I agree with the underlying sentiments of the post. Blizzard needs a swift boot in the ass and I think getting trounced is the best way to do it.
    Those are pretty bad too. Note the keyword.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmatrix View Post
    The only way you can get the MMO you "deserve" is to make it yourself.
    Which is precisely the design philosophy of Ashes of Creation. Something to watch. Ambitious and independent. It’ll probably fail, but I appreciate the ambition and risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Those are pretty bad too. Note the keyword.
    Yeah, and it doesn't hurt that SE PR are on point with their promos they did too targeting WoW streamers. That gave me a good laugh
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauzhi View Post
    I have seen some of those streams. Silly game.
    I cant get over the visuals and the sound.
    Even the common questing around. What a downgrade.
    Seriously, i would prefer ESO instead of FF.
    ESO is a pretty solid choice. I'll admit, there was a bit of personal hurdle for me to get over when I jumped into FF but at level 50 now and has totally been worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    We are all addicts here, you found the secret, well done.

It's just that some eat the entire boot, others merely lick it.
    How brave of you. o7

Yeah the ultimate proof, how many views a game have on Twitch.

Right now Overwatch 16k viewers, Final fantasy 7k, Overwatch confirmed a better game by that logic.

Viewers dont say much since some games are just not popular to watch others play even if its a great game.

I think we're far from the point where WoW is "dying" (as some people might claim). If anything, it's amazing for the game to have retained so much popularity for such a long time - considering its age, it's done and is still doing phenomenally well. Decline is inevitable for a product that's been up for this long, and should by no means be taken as too direct an indicator for its success. There's pretty much no game out there that's been keeping MILLIONS of players on a monthly subscription for more than a decade and a half. After 15+ years, what game WOULDN'T experience a drop-off pretty much no matter what?

That being said, WoW's own popularity probably did end up hurting it, because it stifled competitive pressure to make a better product. Have we reached a tipping point now where age-based decline combined with loss of quality form a critical mass that spurs Blizzard into more drastic action? It's hard to tell, but I personally don't think we're there yet. I HOPE we reach that point soon and see some massive shift in design that livens things up a little bit; but I think WoW is suffering from such a high degree of design inertia at this point, that it may well take another two expansions or more for something to truly change - if they even think that's worth doing, rather than just coming out with "WoW 2" or whatever successor product.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Yeah the ultimate proof, how many views a game have on Twitch.

Right now Overwatch 16k viewers, Final fantasy 7k, Overwatch confirmed a better game by that logic.

Viewers dont say much since some games are just not popular to watch others play even if its a great game.
    True, some games aren't as popular to watch. That's not what I said though, I said Blizzard is getting their asses handed to them. I didn't specify which game I thought was better.

True, some games aren't as popular to watch. That's not what I said though, I said Blizzard is getting their asses handed to them. I didn't specify which game I thought was better.
    Yeah but it also depends on what time it is and who is online just becouse a game has more views at 9 doesnt mean it will at 10. If you look at Twitch and ill round up the numbers Final fantasy has 7.9k viewers and Wow 19.2k viewers so doesnt look like they are as you say getting their ass handed to them.

And thats why twitch numbers say almost nothing.

Its a game, relax. Its not the end of the world. If you dont like wow, stop playing. I, however, is greatly entertained by classic tbc so i will continue to play. I will also return to retail at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Yeah but it also depends on what time it is and who is online just becouse a game has more views at 9 doesnt mean it will at 10. If you look at Twitch and ill round up the numbers Final fantasy has 7.9k viewers and Wow 19.2k viewers so doesnt look like they are as you say getting their ass handed to them.
    Really? With all of their prominent YouTubers and Twitch players using their platforms to openly talk about how much they enjoy FF14 and how bad the state of WoW has been and currently is? Repeatedly. Week after week. Looks like a huge ass handing to me.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Really? With all of their prominent YouTubers and Twitch players using their platforms to openly talk about how much they enjoy FF14 and how bad the state of WoW has been and currently is? Repeatedly. Week after week. Looks like a huge ass handing to me.
    How many of these 'prominent youtubers' even get to endgame content? WoW is also sunshine and roses until you explore whole game and all that's left is repeating raids/dungeons or doing PVP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caprias1212 View Post
    This was sarcasm right?
    Riot's upcoming mmorpg?
    Square Enix FF14?
    Riot can do whatever they want with their LoL cash cow, doesn't mean any of it will be successful

FF14 started out a huge fucking failure, and they had to basically re-make the entire game again for it to launch 3 YEARS later. And even then it's only in the last couple years it's started being actually successful. But even then I'm not entirely sure it's turned a profit yet.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Episode 467 of "WoW is dead and im happy" by confused, addicted fan.

Counter question - why dont you take your own advice?

Why do YOU cling to a 17 year old game?
    WOW IS DEAD! LONG LIVE WOW!!!

This post is spot on. Why are you here bit.... um... crying... about a 17 year old game? Like fer'serially...
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym

I'd be kind of idly curious to see what Blizzard would look like in a post-WoW world. But that's probably still a number of years off, tbh.

Even if WoW's population continues to decline, they can still squeeze some life (i.e. money) out of it yet.

Yeah, and it doesn't hurt that SE PR are on point with their promos they did too targeting WoW streamers. That gave me a good laugh

ESO is a pretty solid choice. I'll admit, there was a bit of personal hurdle for me to get over when I jumped into FF but at level 50 now and has totally been worth it.
    WoW needs an harsh realization and hopefully a bounce back. The other two mentioned need to keep improving as they are.

Vicious competition in the MMO market is good for the customers. And that should be all that matters to us. But tribals gonna tribal.

I don't really get the weird twitch numbers obsession some people have. FF having more views than WoW and people putting any sort of weight on that is the equivalent of a younger 20 year old boxer in their prime winning a fight against the older seasoned 40 year old who has been around for long. It's the same in general when people talk about the decline of the amount of players. It's almost as if the majority of people don't want to sink 20 years of their lives into the same game so they have moved on to sample other things in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Even if WoW dies, they won't make another MMO. They tried with Titan, and that became Overwatch.

And even looking outside of Blizzard, how many MMOs have been made and how many have been successful / profitable? I'm willing to guess that most MMOs have not made their money back at all
    Agree with this. The MMO era came and went. WoW lives on based mostly on inertia. The MMO genre needs a radical paradigm shift to see a comeback. Maybe VR one day or something, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    Agree with this. The MMO era came and went. WoW lives on based mostly on inertia. The MMO genre needs a radical paradigm shift to see a comeback. Maybe VR one day or something, who knows.
    Leave it to VR Goldshire to save the entire MMO genre.

15+ Year Old Account
    I love how these threads come up every xpac since BC.
    Im glad im still having fun, playing this game since vanilla.
    Not the best xpac/patch but still, not bored yet.
    And when i do ill just play something else till the next patch.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.