Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagar View Post
    Do I dare say I didn't mind it? Sure it was predictable but whos writing in games isn't nowadays. I don't think it is supposed to be this huge mystery to us players this time around, but more soo a mystery to our in game characters. Not saying that is a good way to get immersion but meh.

Think the Voltron jailer looks just like id expect some crazed dude in the cosmos of wow to look.
    Sylvannas having part of her soul/being stored away by the jailer is interesting. how much of sylvannas was in control? Will tyrande be able to see reason now? Arthas parallels are welcome and in this case I feel like there may be some lore heavy implications when we see Arthas in Shadowlands (at least I expect it).
    I suppose people will hate on everything.

Honestly messing with titan lore makes sense on blizzards behalf, it was seemingly one of there most popular lore topics of old. It seem most people hate having answers and just prefer mysterious non cannon tin foil hat chatter.
    Pretty toxic thread alright. People have short memories that the game's already had a redemption arc where we sided with Illidan who once upon a time conquered an entire world but people are choosing without thought what to dislike which makes very uninteresting discussion.

The only 2 issues I have with the ending is that it was already spoilered in the book regarding the Soul fragment so it was a obvious as daylight what was happening next, and that it's going to take another 8 months for the story to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by hllfrmththrsd View Post
    Why changing your mind, having doubts, switching sides in real life is okay but when it comes to the game, it's suddenly 'bad writing'. What wouldn't be bad writing? Having Sylvanas standing in Undercity half-naked?
    In service to the Jailer Sylvanas has commit genocide, unleashed an old god upon the world to cause as much death as possible to fuel the Jailer, watched Jaina, Thrall, Anduin and Baine get captures and tortured and personally turned Anduin into a meat puppet but when her boss 'wins' and goes 'finally I will rule' she decides "nah I don't want to be puppet"?
    Shes been a puppet for him since whenever Blizzard decides to retcon her turning. Potentially as far back as ICC.

The point where she decides to switches sides and the things she has already done for the Jailer don't match up.

They want to play off the idea that Sylvanas didn't know the Jailer was just Arthas 2.0 but its completely unbelievable because he is so obviously evil. To pull this off you need a villain with more depth where its actually believable he wants to 'free everyone from death' rather then simply rule creation.
    And they never did that
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

It is not the predictability that I have a problem with. It is the inconsistency within Sylvanas herself.
    There were multiple times when she used "serve" when she was talking to other people ( e.g Anduin ), but now it suddenly triggers her to a point where she can't take it anymore? What?
    So was she acting out of selfishness? "It's okay when you serve, but not me"
    Is that the whole reason for her shooting at Zovaal? If it was - was this the best opportunity to do it?
    I honestly can't see an iota of logic here
    Because some things are just worth fighting for.

really? it took her THAT long to figure out the jailer was literately the same as Arthas/the lich king? this is so fucking unbelievably dumb.

100% what everyone predicted... except the ones who denied anything but her death was possible.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

The best part is that this will end with Sylvanas being the new Jailer or some bullshit like that so even the "Sylvanas will be the new Lich Queen" theories from years ago will come true lol

Quote Originally Posted by OCoyne View Post
    Pretty toxic thread alright. People have short memories that the game's already had a redemption arc where we sided with Illidan who once upon a time conquered an entire world but people are choosing without thought what to dislike which makes very uninteresting discussion.

The only 2 issues I have with the ending is that it was already spoilered in the book regarding the Soul fragment so it was a obvious as daylight what was happening next, and that it's going to take another 8 months for the story to develop.
    And plenty of people disliked Illidan being the 'hero' of Legion.
    But atleast Illidans motivations made sense, he hates demons and he helped us because he hates demons. He rejects the Naaru 'gift' because he recognises it as just another pair of chains.

Meanwhile Sylvanas has happily served the jailor as a puppet but now goes 'oh no, I don't realise he was actually a bad guy looking to control everyone' despite literally turning Anduin into a controlled puppet.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

There are people who take interest in the perspective of a serial killer, and then there are people who only want swift justice and don't tolerate attention given to a serial killer's perspective. Getting that perspective delays justice, but does not necessarily circumvent justice.
    I believe all Sylvanas' decisions have been coherent from her perspective. Allying with Zovaal was a gamble, but what is a gamble when you're a half dead creature with no loved ones? The gamble didn't work out, fair enough. She stood her ground and expected to be killed then. Zovaal, with all his power, didn't feel the need to kill her so she lives on for now.
    The only thing perhaps incoherent is the Jailer following the trope of sparing loose ends. Any other rage is really just people who can't handle delayed justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    There is a difference between service and servitude. Sylvanas realized that whe would become a slave to the Jailor just like she had been a slave for the Lich King. We see her having doubts when it happens to Anduin, but, hey, it was not her. Now it becomes personal and she rebels.
    I think people are pointing out the absurdity of being the henchman of the Jailer for years, doing absolutely everything to give absolute power to someone who's forte is torturing and dominating people only to then be surprised at the prospect of him also wielding that power over you.
    The absolute state of Warcraft lore in 2021:
    Kyrians: We need to keep chucking people into the Maw because it's our job.
    Also Kyrians: Why is the Maw growing stronger despite all our efforts?

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    The problem with this story arc is that the Janitor is a generic pure evil monster, his motivations can essentially be summed up as "I want everyone to serve me", which is the blandest type of villain archetype imaginable.

If Janitor was really like Thanos, so a misguided/morally grey villain who genuinely thinks they are doing the right thing, then it would be easier to understand why Sylvanas would fall for him (she's still dumb). But right now Sylvanas essentially trusted a guy who is literally Satan, the dude is even more evil than Sargeras, because at least Sargeras thought he was doing the right thing.

"BUT A VILLAIN DOESN'T NEED TO HAVE COMPLEX MOTIVATIONS!!!!!", false, any mature/adult villain needs complex motivations. Especially if you want to sell the idea that Sylvanas looked at this guy and thought "Hm, this guy has a point".
    I mean to be fair we know fuck all about why the Jailer wants what he wants, his backstory (there was a line in the cinematic "at long last the final key is once again mine" - so it was his before going to the Arbiter?) which I have no doubt that the Primus will hopefully fill us in on in the coming weeks

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Houle View Post
    yeah, he totally didnt write that bc of the (obviously disgusting) death threats made by some no-lifers. he totally likes the story for sure.
    *eye roll*
    Rather he likes this story beat or not he obviously likes golden and her work other wise he wouldn’t have worked with her for over 10 years.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evGkiiUac2M

aiiight, its out.
    and its 100% what literally everyone predicted.
    nothing surprising, nothing unexpected.
    So what i thought about Arthas was really sylvannas ( that the moment they came in contact with the jailor they where corrupted/controlled).....hope this does not lead to a redemption.

And kinda lack luster ending. we did not stop him. And still do not know his plan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    The problem with this story arc is that the Janitor is a generic pure evil monster, his motivations can essentially be summed up as "I want everyone to serve me", which is the blandest type of villain archetype imaginable.

If Janitor was really like Thanos, so a misguided/morally grey villain who genuinely thinks they are doing the right thing, then it would be easier to understand why Sylvanas would fall for him (she's still dumb). But right now Sylvanas essentially trusted a guy who is literally Satan, the dude is even more evil than Sargeras, because at least Sargeras thought he was doing the right thing.

"BUT A VILLAIN DOESN'T NEED TO HAVE COMPLEX MOTIVATIONS!!!!!", false, any mature/adult villain needs complex motivations. Especially if you want to sell the idea that Sylvanas looked at this guy and thought "Hm, this guy has a point".
    He wants everyone to serve him, but why? He obviously believes that the "Makers" design was flawed, but how? I guess that's what we'll find out, but the Jailor seems to believe he is doing the right thing.

As for Sylvanas, she was obviously lied to. In the beginning of the expansion, she said: "This world is a prison. And I shall set us all free!" And herself, first of all... We know since the end of WotLK that she wants to escape death and the oblivion that was waiting for her. But now the Jailor showed he really wanted to enslave everyone. And herself, first of all...
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point I genuinely want to see how stupid they can make the story. I walked into this with no expectations and was still laughing at how fucking stupid this is. Although points for consistency in portraying Sylvanas as a massive hypocrite who is fine with damning everyone around her into being mentally enslaved and forced into servitude only to call foul when it's inevitably her turn. Points off, however, for the superomnigenius galaxy brain whose 1080d triplechess keikakus go off without fail somehow being stupid enough to think the Jailor wasn't going to try and brainwash her, too.

Also lol, they picked the dumbest way possible to move the story forward. At this point it's inspirational in the way The Room is inspirational, in that if some lobotomized rhesus monkey can get paid six figures to write this bullshit, anyone can reasonably pursue writing as a hobby and not have to worry about the quality of their writing.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post

Meanwhile Sylvanas has happily served the jailor as a puppet but now goes 'oh no, I don't realise he was actually a bad guy looking to control everyone' despite literally turning Anduin into a controlled puppet.
    The story has always been centred around a manipulative relationship where Sylvanas and The Jailer had different intentions. Again people have short memories that Sylvanas via her dialogues with Anduin thought they were breaking the cycle of death and people choosing their own fates, a reference to her time as a Banshee under Arthas where the Jailer's intentions were the exact opposite.

Tyrande planted the seed of doubt in her head hiding Nathanos' death. Seeing Anduin, Thrall, Bolvar and Jaina all mind controlled was the penny which dropped. The dialogue in the scene was poor but it's the storytelling what matters the most.

People have gotten so emotionally malding over Sylvanas for the sake of it, alot of people didn't even notice The Arbiter died in the scene also, which speaks volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Given that metzen has been working with her since atlest 2006 and she helped build the core of the horde he’s probably a better judge then any of us.
    I unironically HATE what metzen did to the horde. The WC2 horde is the one i wanted to join, not thrall's collection of nancy boy alliance sympathizers. I wanted THE HORDE. Garrosh was the closest, but metzen already ruined the essence of the horde long ago with his super thrall character

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    I mean to be fair we know fuck all about why the Jailer wants what he wants, his backstory (there was a line in the cinematic "at long last the final key is once again mine" - so it was his before going to the Arbiter?) which I have no doubt that the Primus will hopefully fill us in on in the coming weeks
    That's what I actually like in this expansion. We are not given all the infos at once. We are really strangers in a strange land and we are slowly learning what's this all about. Now, we have another part of the Jailer's backstory: he probably was the Arbiter. He planned on doing something so evil that the other Eternal Ones rebelled against him and chained him in the Maw to redeem himself (like the Primus says). Now the question is: what ignited the rebellion and why are the Eternal Ones hiding it from us?

5+ Year Old Account
    honestly tho, they SOMEHOW managed to make him look even more generic and boring

he looks like a cheap arthas cosplay, only not half as iconic or memorable
    Well, that matches the general theme of SL, which so far is (lorewise) nothing but a low effort WotLK sequel. The Arthas callback wasn't just unneeded, but also stupid as all #$&@.

As the saying goes, "I expected nothing, and I'm still disappointed".
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    I unironically HATE what metzen did to the horde. The WC2 horde is the one i wanted to join, not thrall's collection of nancy boy alliance sympathizers.
    How edgy of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    At this point I genuinely want to see how stupid they can make the story. I walked into this with no expectations and was still laughing at how fucking stupid this is. Although points for consistency in portraying Sylvanas as a massive hypocrite who is fine with damning everyone around her into being mentally enslaved and forced into servitude only to call foul when it's inevitably her turn. Points off, however, for the superomnigenius galaxy brain whose 1080d triplechess keikakus go off without fail somehow being stupid enough to think the Jailor wasn't going to try and brainwash her, too.

Also lol, they picked the dumbest way possible to move the story forward. At this point it's inspirational in the way The Room is inspirational, in that if some lobotomized rhesus monkey can get paid six figures to write this bullshit, anyone can reasonably pursue writing as a hobby and not have to worry about the quality of their writing.
    Well, then maybe you should start a successful writing carreer.