Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
14
... LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    I don't even understand why you would elect anyone without a background in education to a school board. I mean elections, OK, if the choice is between two actual educators who are, you know, scientists.

    And also: how do companies even decide between two people right out of high school? Does every company research every school what it actually teaches to get a grip of their applicants? HR must be a horror job in the USA (and also the biggest department considering how frequently you guys seem to fire people).
    HR is a massive industry in the US and hiring is often outsourced to third parties (not uncommon in Europe either to be honest). Unfortunately in the US specifically HR evaluations often account for more than just your academic background (tho at college level where you graduated is typically a good indicator of the quality of education you received), background checks run by HR companies are borderline dystopian and often involve AI, credit evaluations, social media background checks etc. The extent banks, lenders, financial institutions, potential employers and even landlords/home owner associations are allowed to get into your private life is often outright illegal in the rest of the free world.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-07-08 at 05:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    It doesnt destroy the land to bury styrofoam 25 feet below the ground
    Today Obama once again kneeled at the altar of environmental naziism and hurt this once great country. He has now banned all drilling in the Atlantic Ocean

  2. #62
    Elemental Lord callipygoustp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    8,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    I started out with exposing your hypocrisy, then you delivered some more
    You started off with a strawman and effectively derailed the thread into a series of responses pointing that out.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Can't just subvert democracy like that. It would be better for school boards to not have elected positions.
    Would probably be best for schools if school boards went away and schools let professional pedagogues take over...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

  4. #64
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    I don't even understand why you would elect anyone without a background in education to a school board. I mean elections, OK, if the choice is between two actual educators who are, you know, scientists.

    And also: how do companies even decide between two people right out of high school? Does every company research every school what it actually teaches to get a grip of their applicants? HR must be a horror job in the USA (and also the biggest department considering how frequently you guys seem to fire people).
    It's a poor system designed to maintain "local" control over the education system. Essentially, it's in place so that conservatives can ban books (obviously, it's more complicated than that - but essentially that's both why and how it was established and still maintained). Worse, the SCOTUS ruled that education should be a "community based" system, stating that each locality should be in charge of how their children are educated. It makes sense theoretically until you realize that the entire system and court battle was about banning books that offend the conservative religious mind.

    From there, it's been down his ever since.

    Oh, also, we don't fund education - it's the first thing that gets cut, and even the basis of it goes through a vote rather than a government decision.

  5. #65
    Scarab Lord Poopymonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Neverland Ranch Survivor
    Posts
    4,941
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Or pedophiles.

    But then again, and this junction having Republicans on school boards is synonymous with having pedophiles on school boards.

    There's on uncomfortable overlap between those two groups.

    I kinda pointed out in a different thread how the path to dismantling democracy runs through the destruction of public education.
    Come on, at least the pedophiles would have an actual interest in the kids.

    I'll see myself out now.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Oh, also, we don't fund education - it's the first thing that gets cut, and even the basis of it goes through a vote rather than a government decision.
    I read somewhere years ago, paraphrasing of course, is when they don't pass a tax increase to pay for schools the first thing they cut is school bussing.
    Now the parents have to get up early to deal with their children and drive them to school. Make them late to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

  6. #66
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    I read somewhere years ago, paraphrasing of course, is when they don't pass a tax increase to pay for schools the first thing they cut is school bussing.
    Now the parents have to get up early to deal with their children and drive them to school. Make them late to work.
    Yep - bussing and teacher salary increases are the first to go. We have dedicated professionals working in a profession where they are underpaid by half, and have to deal with all the politics of Helicopter parents while at the same time dealing with overcrowded classrooms. Oh, also, they are literally responsible for building our future. And they make horrible incomes. The only saving grace is they are attached to the government pension and healthcare system.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Yeah... that sounds like... they need to be rescued.
    Yeah but it also describes South Carolina politics top to bottom. It’s already filled to the brim with dysfunctional conservatives and has been for a very long time. The whole state needs to be rescued.

  8. #68
    The Unstoppable Force Bakis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    23,925
    Only way the current GOP will survive is by keeping its voter base stupid and suppressing non-GOP voters.
    This make perfect sense, that this is one of the outcomes.

    Edit: <user base> into <voter base> (I work within IT)
    Last edited by Bakis; 2021-07-08 at 10:56 PM.
    Fox News Media is proud of our 2020 election coverage, which stands in the highest tradition of American journalism, and we will vigorously defend against this baseless lawsuit in court," the media company said in its response.
    Equally outrageously hilarious as sad

  9. #69
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Yeah but it also describes South Carolina politics top to bottom. It’s already filled to the brim with dysfunctional conservatives and has been for a very long time. The whole state needs to be rescued.
    And there is literally no way to fix that situation - or so many others that exist in so many state and county governments. The ignorance, stupidity, hatred, racism, and violence undercut any real ability for those that fight against it to made real, lasting headway. And if by some miracle they do (see also Georgia Special Election), the ruling GQP local government changes the rules again, and we're right back where we were before.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    It's diversity isn't it?
    No. Not when you have people that want creationism taught, or this 1776 bullshit commission crap taught, instead of the 1619 project. You should want the truth taught, not bullshit conspiracy theories or racist whitewashing, like they did in the South by saying that the war was over states rights, and that the civil war wasn't about slavery and that the North shot first. I don't trust Republicans with ANYTHING.

  11. #71
    Titan
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    13,473
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It's a poor system designed to maintain "local" control over the education system. Essentially, it's in place so that conservatives can ban books (obviously, it's more complicated than that - but essentially that's both why and how it was established and still maintained). Worse, the SCOTUS ruled that education should be a "community based" system, stating that each locality should be in charge of how their children are educated. It makes sense theoretically until you realize that the entire system and court battle was about banning books that offend the conservative religious mind.

    From there, it's been down his ever since.

    Oh, also, we don't fund education - it's the first thing that gets cut, and even the basis of it goes through a vote rather than a government decision.
    That probably explains why a lot of conservative states are so under educated and thus, their population stupid enough to fall for their lies and bullshit. Sounds like a stupid system that needs to be launched into the sun. Education should be a state administrated program, and not one controlled by local bumpkins who think they know better so they can keep producing GOP voters every generation. Or do they forget that the internet exists and that all sorts of information is out there that exposes people to the lies that conservatives push.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2021-07-11 at 06:24 PM.

  12. #72
    One of the benefits of the internet. It may help spread propaganda, particularly to old folks, but at the same time younger people in these red states can learn for themselves what is true and what isn't.

    I was educated mostly in the deep red southeast. By the time I was out of high school the internet was becoming a thing and over time I learned *a lot* that was never even hinted at in school. Especially when it came to past abuses against minority groups.

  13. #73
    The Insane Acidbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Belgium, Flanders
    Posts
    18,208
    In this case it is a structural problem, school boards should never to be allowed to influence the educational direction of a school that much that it pose a problem.\

    They should be there to decide on purely local things, like sport programs, logistics and maybe some events and what food is served. A federal government should dictate a school plan and every school has to follow that or else your degree is worthless nation wide.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

  14. #74
    Epic! Yadryonych's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Матушка Россия
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    A federal government should dictate
    Oh my, sic semper tyrannis much You don't really want to oppose qtards by proving their point
    Lives matter

  15. #75
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    23,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Oh my, sic semper tyrannis much
    Ah yes, quoting what John Wilkes Booth shouted after he murdered Abraham Lincoln. Way to look like a real upstanding guy there, sweetheart.


    And yes, the federal government should absolutely dictate national educational standards. I don't particularly care if the parents think things like evolution, sex education, vaccines, or climate change are "matters of opinion," their children should not grow up thinking they are.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Oh my, sic semper tyrannis much You don't really want to oppose qtards by proving their point
    I agree. We should allow them to wallow in their ignorance. After all when they're that deliberate they choose to kill themselves. Less votes for the GOP.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Pretty much, "Are you alive, a non-felon, and do you have a GED? If yes, you're qualified."
    Hmm. I'm not sure the GED is required, either. Alive and non-felon might be about it.

    Let's see here, in my state, won't mention what state, but I'm looking at the requirements:
    US Citizen
    One year at least resident of state.
    Resident taxpayer of the school district in question
    At least 24
    Not behind on property, state, or municipal taxes.
    Not a felon (you got that one right!)
    Not a registered sex offender or required to register as same.
    Campaign disclosure reports filed with state Ethics commission
    If corporate officer of any fee office, said office cannot owe tax to the state.

    So, there is NO educational requirement there. At all. *Generally*, someone won't get elected w/o an education of some kind, but...weird shit happens out there.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Would probably be best for schools if school boards went away and schools let professional pedagogues take over...
    My wife's a teacher, and I'm pretty sure that solution would be about as bad as what started the thread. Professionals are great, but, non-teaching educational experts often don't really see the world as it really is, and live in their little ivory towers.

    As usual, something closer to the middle actually works better. I miss the days when people actually compromised on things...

  18. #78
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    34,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    It's diversity isn't it?
    This ladies and gents, is a conservative who looks at liberal ideologies and seems to think "diversity is king" is an actual tenet. Pro-tip: You know NOTHING about liberalism.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Regimes rise and fall, good and bad ones, the question is are you willing to remove competition just to keep your favorite one in power perpetually? That's a bit totalitarian, my friend
    Preventing the rise of murderous regimes can't really be seen as anything BUT good. Though I realize a Russian is 100% on board with destabilizing the USA and turning it into the dark ages again. They have a perpetual hate boner for the US and are constantly cheering for its failure because of the inferiority complex they feel.
    "Nazis are like cats. If they like you, it's probably because you're feeding them." -John Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Knadra finally just admitting Trumpkins care more about political victories than morals.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Oh, also, we don't fund education - it's the first thing that gets cut, and even the basis of it goes through a vote rather than a government decision.
    In my state there is a 'formula' for the amount of funding education in the state should get.

    It's almost never fully funded in the yearly budget. Just a fact of life. Sucks, but that's how it is. (Considering that also affects my wife's income...)

  20. #80
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    34,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Oh my, sic semper tyrannis much You don't really want to oppose qtards by proving their point
    What point? They don't have one. They believe the world is run by sex trafficking pedophilic Hillary Clinton worshippers.

    You make some of the dumbest, fallacious, ridiculous arguments. Strawmen, red herrings, whataboutism, deflection, hand waving. Sorry bruv, we don't want murderers, psychopaths and conspiracy theorists. One of the goals of Qanon is to arrest and imprison and/or execute all liberal politicians.

    "BUT GUYS, WE TOTALLY CAN'T STOP Q FROM KILLING EVERY LIBERAL, IT WOULD PROVE THEIR POINT!"

    See how dumb that sounds? That's you.
    "Nazis are like cats. If they like you, it's probably because you're feeding them." -John Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Knadra finally just admitting Trumpkins care more about political victories than morals.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •