Page 29 of 53 FirstFirst ...
19
27
28
29
30
31
39
... LastLast
  1. #561
    Scarab Lord Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    4,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    He was, but then he teleported to Wakanda and probably met a very similar fate to Thanos.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Hard to say. The movie Infinity Gems are severly less powerful then the comic ones. The time stone is only shown reversing time in a limited area (line of sight of the caster), without even affecting the caster himself.
    Normally it should be incredibly powerful, since whenever something bad happens you just reverse time or you even stop it. Having control over time is an incredibly versatile and powerful ability.
    For example, if the stone was this powerful, Doc Strange could have easily beaten Thanos even with the 4 stones he had. Just stop time, which would prevent Thanos from using any of the other stones, then get the Gauntlet off. Fight over.
    Did you stop and think that maybe the gems require understanding of how to use to use their full power?
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  2. #562
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    He was affected by the time loop he created to defeat Dormammu. And as for stopping time, yadda, yadda… when he checked futures that wasn’t a way to defeat Thanos.
    Okay, that is true.

    But the question is why. Thanos without the Time Stone has no power whatsoever over time and it was even shown that he could be stunned albiet with great effort by a single empath and even then they almost managed to remove the glove (if Starlord hadn't lost it, they would have).

    If time were stopped Thanos could not do anything. It is even shown that the Gauntlet only activates the stones if he closes his fist and he can't use them if his hand is forcefully held open (unless he removes a stone first)
    Or if that wasn't an option, Strange could have locked Thanos in the same time loop trap, he used on Dormamu. He could kill Strange infinitely, but he would have never left Titan.

    The reason these options are removed from the equation is of course for dramatics

  3. #563
    Scarab Lord Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    4,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    Okay, that is true.

    But the question is why. Thanos without the Time Stone has no power whatsoever over time and it was even shown that he could be stunned albiet with great effort by a single empath and even then they almost managed to remove the glove (if Starlord hadn't lost it, they would have).

    If time were stopped Thanos could not do anything. It is even shown that the Gauntlet only activates the stones if he closes his fist and he can't use them if his hand is forcefully held open (unless he removes a stone first)
    Or if that wasn't an option, Strange could have locked Thanos in the same time loop trap, he used on Dormamu. He could kill Strange infinitely, but he would have never left Titan.

    The reason these options are removed from the equation is of course for dramatics
    If the loop is akin to the Dormannu one, resetting on Strange's death, what happens if Thanos obtains the Time Stone without killing Strange?
    Also, keep in mind Thanos had the Reality Stone which allows him to alter the fabric of reality itself, including creating illusions as show in Knowhere.

    As for Time stop, it depends on the impact. The Time stone in Dr Strange is mentioned to be dangerous and the use of the stone can destroy the fabric of reality all together. So yes, while there are ways it could have been used, you can't get Thanos Frozen forever with it.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  4. #564
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    Okay, that is true.

    But the question is why. Thanos without the Time Stone has no power whatsoever over time and it was even shown that he could be stunned albiet with great effort by a single empath and even then they almost managed to remove the glove (if Starlord hadn't lost it, they would have).

    If time were stopped Thanos could not do anything. It is even shown that the Gauntlet only activates the stones if he closes his fist and he can't use them if his hand is forcefully held open (unless he removes a stone first)
    Or if that wasn't an option, Strange could have locked Thanos in the same time loop trap, he used on Dormamu. He could kill Strange infinitely, but he would have never left Titan.

    The reason these options are removed from the equation is of course for dramatics
    None of those options ended in victory ultimately. In the end Thanos found a way to gather the stones and win. The only way to win was exactly what we got. As per Doctor Strange in Infinity War.

  5. #565
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Did you stop and think that maybe the gems require understanding of how to use to use their full power?
    Well, of course that is an option. Though the people who get them are pretty quick on using at least some of their abilities. Loki for example seemigly knew that the Tesseract had the space stone inside and immediatedly could use it to teleport away, even though it had not been used for that before.

    Thanos crafted several highly detailed and life-like "realities" (more illusions I think) with the Reality Stone, moments after he got it.

    Hulk managed to use the full Gauntlet to unsnap halve the universe without any previous practice.

    But of course it is still possible what you say, I assume though that Strange of all the people with a stone, is the one having studied it the most. He likely read every book there is about it and practiced.

    Maybe with the exception of Thanos himself, who for some reason gave away two stones he already had in his possession (mind and space) to Loki of all people.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    None of those options ended in victory ultimately. In the end Thanos found a way to gather the stones and win. The only way to win was exactly what we got. As per Doctor Strange in Infinity War.
    Yes, yes, I know. I am just saying that it is very difficult to explain why that is the case when they had a powerful weapon like this.

  6. #566
    Scarab Lord Darththeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Posts
    4,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    Well, of course that is an option. Though the people who get them are pretty quick on using at least some of their abilities. Loki for example seemigly knew that the Tesseract had the space stone inside and immediatedly could use it to teleport away, even though it had not been used for that before.

    Thanos crafted several highly detailed and life-like "realities" (more illusions I think) with the Reality Stone, moments after he got it.

    Hulk managed to use the full Gauntlet to unsnap halve the universe without any previous practice.

    But of course it is still possible what you say, I assume though that Strange of all the people with a stone, is the one having studied it the most. He likely read every book there is about it and practiced.

    Maybe with the exception of Thanos himself, who for some reason gave away two stones he already had in his possession (mind and space) to Loki of all people.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Yes, yes, I know. I am just saying that it is very difficult to explain why that is the case when they had a powerful weapon like this.
    Space stone not used to teleport? Captain America First Avenger, Avengers, and Infinity War all showed it being used to open portals/teleport. Loki literally is introduced in Avengers by porting through a space stone portal. So Alternative Loki in Endgame most certainly knows the Space Stone can teleport. Loki came to Earth to obtain the stone for Thanos.

    Thanos and strange you have an argument, but not Loki or Hulk. Hulk knows the ability of all the stones, my argument is about knowing the powers of the stone. So even being generous of your examples you had 2 out 4 of where you can make an argument. Thanos has been seeking the stones for years, so him knowing the reality stone can warp reality isn't shocking.

    So, Strange is the strongest argument. And I admit, he could have read all the powers. He could have done things. But, he saw millions of potential futures, it is likely some involved stopping time.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2021-09-13 at 01:31 PM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

  7. #567
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    None of those options ended in victory ultimately. In the end Thanos found a way to gather the stones and win. The only way to win was exactly what we got. As per Doctor Strange in Infinity War.
    It's just hilarious that they created an in universe plot device to explain away all alternative options that objectively make more sense, in favor of waiting 5 years for a rat to hit a keyboard. They had a story they wanted to tell, sure, but tossing that in there to "explain"...
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

  8. #568
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    It's just hilarious that they created an in universe plot device to explain away all alternative options that objectively make more sense, in favor of waiting 5 years for a rat to hit a keyboard. They had a story they wanted to tell, sure, but tossing that in there to "explain"...
    The thing is, most of the objections can be explained away. Time loop? Thanos keeps trying things until his combination of stones beats Strange. Freezing Thanos and taking the stones? He comes back in 20 years and takes them all back. Freezing time? Time must remain frozen. It’s more of the “they didn’t tell me so I can’t figure it out” syndrome.

  9. #569
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    It's just hilarious that they created an in universe plot device to explain away all alternative options that objectively make more sense, in favor of waiting 5 years for a rat to hit a keyboard. They had a story they wanted to tell, sure, but tossing that in there to "explain"...
    they also added in the tva with loki so you have an extra layer of "this wouldve led to the timeline being erased because it wouldve created a different kang"

    - - - Updated - - -

    theoretically strange couldve seen tons of ways that WOULD have worked but as soon as they did the tva wouldve came in and nuked the place so at that point defeating thanos is a loss

    - - - Updated - - -

    theres also the implication that the time travel tech iron man developed was the basis for kangs own rise to power. in which case there were probably even less ways that he who remains wouldve let diverge
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  10. #570
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The thing is, most of the objections can be explained away. Time loop? Thanos keeps trying things until his combination of stones beats Strange. Freezing Thanos and taking the stones? He comes back in 20 years and takes them all back. Freezing time? Time must remain frozen. It’s more of the “they didn’t tell me so I can’t figure it out” syndrome.
    Well, comics do have the recurring plot weakness of "could be fixed with a rifle". Certainly, freeze time and chop off head applies here. It does go the other way though, since I dislike the idea that the Snap was a Somatic component to use the ability rather than a dramatic flourish, and Thanos certainly should have hit fast and strong rather than walking into things the way he did.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

  11. #571
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Well, comics do have the recurring plot weakness of "could be fixed with a rifle". Certainly, freeze time and chop off head applies here. It does go the other way though, since I dislike the idea that the Snap was a Somatic component to use the ability rather than a dramatic flourish, and Thanos certainly should have hit fast and strong rather than walking into things the way he did.
    With what? Everything they threw at him barely caused a scratch.

  12. #572
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    With what? Everything they threw at him barely caused a scratch.
    Power levels vary based on plot needs, which leads back to the "cut off his head with a portal" discussion.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

  13. #573
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Power levels vary based on plot needs, which leads back to the "cut off his head with a portal" discussion.
    Power levels like 4 stones vs 1?

  14. #574
    Pretty sure we already had this whole "there was only 1 way to defeat Thanos" discussion in the main MCU thread...we dont need to rehash it here.

  15. #575
    Mid-season trailer


  16. #576
    Why can't they just dump the full season for us.
    Waiting for episodes is so 2005.
    I honestly haven't done that since Lost.

    Also I love Jeffrey narrating.
    Can't believe how much I like this show lol

  17. #577
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    Why can't they just dump the full season for us.
    Waiting for episodes is so 2005.
    I honestly haven't done that since Lost.

    Also I love Jeffrey narrating.
    Can't believe how much I like this show lol
    i kind of like it sometimes when a season is aired over time, adds speculation and more discussion over the individual episodes versus everyone discussing the whole season at once and having to avoid spoilers till youre done
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  18. #578
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i kind of like it sometimes when a season is aired over time, adds speculation and more discussion over the individual episodes versus everyone discussing the whole season at once and having to avoid spoilers till youre done
    Damn your logic!
    I agree, though my selfishness was blind to that point until you said it lol.
    It's killing me having to wait on The Last Kingdom seasons on Netflix.

    Also, is any of that vid vegas posted new teaser stuff, aside from the new name lineup I mean?
    Like Korg? Or did I just not remember what episode he's in?
    Fuck now I need to go rewatch them all.

  19. #579
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i kind of like it sometimes when a season is aired over time, adds speculation and more discussion over the individual episodes versus everyone discussing the whole season at once and having to avoid spoilers till youre done
    I like binging at times, but being able to have those “water cooler” discussions about theories is honestly more fun.

  20. #580
    God, the past 10 pages was like one dude calling LOTR a badly written movie because of the lack of explanation for 'Why didn't they explain why they couldn't just get on the eagles from the beginning', and the shitstorm that follows such obvious trollbait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Since Arthas used Frostmourne, which is a Runeblade, and Frostmourne's power eminates from those runes, that made him a Runemaster by default.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •