Page 9 of 53 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Quick question for people who have watched them all (so far) : Is it possible to watch the episodes "separately" ? Or are they linked by some sort of overall plotline that is spread among them ?

I mean, I have absolutely no interest in a few of these episodes but some of them have interesting premises, I have no idea if that's possible to watch them on their own without losing too much.
    What If is an anthology series, same as the comic books. There might be a two-parter at some point, but none of the ones released thus far are.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    What If is an anthology series, same as the comic books. There might be a two-parter at some point, but none of the ones released thus far are.
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    No link. Completly standalone
    Thank you both !

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I liked the first episode. Some of it preceded as I thought it would when I realized Captain Peggy was coming although Steve Rogers getting to be Iron Man was unexpected.
    I very much appreciated this nod to Howard's remark that he was limited by the technology of his time - but this time around he does have a suitable power source (the tesseract).
    Last edited by Rockefellah; 2021-09-01 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    We know he'd been at it for least decades..because he'd already been doing it when he "adopted" Gamora...aside from that though we don't really know long he'd been following his path. Could be decades, centuries, or millenia... it's not entirely clear.

Also, it's key to remember that the version of Thanos in ChaCha's What if Universe is not the same Thanos as in the MCU...just like how MCU Thanos is not the same Thanos as the 616 Thanos. This one might be more prone to listen to alternative ideas for how to fix the imbalance in the universe. The big change they were focused on in this one was T'challa getting abducted instead of Peter Quill....but that does not mean it's the only difference.
    I suppose thats true, he could've faced stronger resistance or massacred different planets with people who had different ideals that made him more susceptible to a change in his critical thinking.

but i still feel like its kind of a weak reasoning that requires too much speculation

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    we know from the trailer that they cross over at some point, right now were seeing the origin stories of these characters and later on they'll start to team up and interact as uatu starts interferring instead of just watching

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Thank you both !
    theres scenes in the trailer of them crossing over so at some point they wont be standalone but for right now its just origin stories so you can watch them in any order or skip the characters you dont care about.

it probably wont start crossing over until ultron or the zombies episode
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Better episode than the first one - The over the top fawning over how amazing Tchalla is had me laughing out loud, but I'm not entirely sure that was self-aware & intentional.

The Carter episode was just a rushed and uninspired retelling of the first movie, so I liked that this one went off the track quickly.
    Well in this one the difference in character made a huge difference - it quickly changed a couple of key points in time over the course of decades. In Carter's case the developments took place on a matter of days/weeks. In theory a lot of things are impacted:

Capt Carter instead of Capt America joins our time (not that big of a change)?
    Who will be the Winter Soldier (assuming Hydra still has these machinations in place)?
    Assuming there will be a Winter Soldier, will he/she assassinate Howard?
    With Steve becoming a (proto) Iron Man - how will Stark Industries, and Tony Stark develop? (And all events spawning from Stark)
    Who will be her successor?
    Who will guide the soul stone (with red skull being dead, rather then teleported)?
    Will woke lefties allow for a 'Britain's Butt' scene?

- - - Updated - - -

And General Ross, Tony Stark, Black Widow, etc were also all played by other voice actors...at least Ruffalo actually plays Banner.

- - - Updated - - -

They might cross the characters over..but the events of their actual "What if...?" story are probably not going to be relevant otherwise.
    I can imagine a Captain Carter being pulled from her timeline to join the MCU Sacred Timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    I suppose thats true, he could've faced stronger resistance or massacred different planets with people who had different ideals that made him more susceptible to a change in his critical thinking.

but i still feel like its kind of a weak reasoning that requires too much speculation
    The thing with What if..? is that you're not really meant to spend a lot of time trying to reason things out. You're just kind of supposed to accept things the way they are presented. These aren't the same characters we know from the MCU. In this Universe Thanos just isn't as set on killing half the universe as he is in the MCU. He still thinks it would work...but for now he's willing to try a different way. If he's as long lived as he is in the comics...then he's got time to ponder the question a little more. Maybe in a century or two he'll go back to thinking that he had it right before T'Challa talked him out of it.

If you can't be specific than I cant take you seriously.
    Im dead serious, you already showed you ahve a mindset and will not change, why would i lose my time with specifics? lol

That's not quite accurate. Starlord in the comics would go (and has gone) head on against Thanos if necessary. He'd know (and knew) it was a suicide mission...but he'd do it (and did it) if it was the only option (it was).
    Star Lord knows Thanos has as much power as a herald of Galactus. He also knows that Thanos can phase out of reality and live out an alternate version. (Tends to do that to see how plans could go wrong). And then all those time he either teleports himself or ports the opposition away.
    Xandar Nova Corps refers to him as a universe-wide threat.

Now it wouldn't come as any surprise if Marvel decided to make him more...human in level because they've gone in stupid directions before. But...an analogy would be more like Reynolds' Deadpool fighting Colossus. The only reason Thanos would even spare the human/kree hybrid a moment's attention would be out of curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Star Lord knows Thanos has as much power as a herald of Galactus. He also knows that Thanos can phase out of reality and live out an alternate version. (Tends to do that to see how plans could go wrong). And then all those time he either teleports himself or ports the opposition away.
    Xandar Nova Corps refers to him as a universe-wide threat.
    I'm not denying any of those things. I'm just saying he has gone straight toward Thanos when he knew it was suicide to do so.

I mean, he's with Nova here. He's carrying a Cosmic Cube...and they still both know they can't win. But they dont have to. They just need to keep him busy.

Now it wouldn't come as any surprise if Marvel decided to make him more...human in level because they've gone in stupid directions before. But...an analogy would be more like Reynolds' Deadpool fighting Colossus.
    I didn't say he thought it was a good idea. He knew it was basically suicide.

Also, the Deadpool/Colossus Analogy falls flat. It's much worse than that. The power difference between Quill and Thanos is much bigger.
    Also Deadpool can't die...so eventually he could find a way to take down Colossus...even if it took years.

The only reason Thanos would even spare the human/kree hybrid a moment's attention would be out of curiosity.
    Starlord isn't a Kree/Human Hybrid. He's Spartaxian/Human.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Im dead serious, you already showed you ahve a mindset and will not change, why would i lose my time with specifics? lol
    I was giving you an opportunity to present your case.

You opted not to.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-08-31 at 10:42 AM.

I'm not denying any of those things. I'm just saying he has gone straight toward Thanos when he knew it was suicide to do so.

I mean, he's with Nova here. He's carrying a Cosmic Cube...and they still both know they can't win. But they dont have to. They just need to keep him busy.
    Fair enough.
    Also, the Deadpool/Colossus Analogy falls flat. It's much worse than that. The power difference between Quill and Thanos is much bigger.
    Umm..yea.. My perspective is stuck pn the original version of Star Lord. Although to be fair that's not much of a difference.
    Starlord isn't a Kree/Human Hybrid. He's Spartaxian/Human.
    Bendis retcon...*sigh*

Bendis retcon...*sigh*
    I don't believe even the original Star Lord (now retconned to be an alternate Earth version of Peter Quill) was ever a Kree/Human.

I don't believe even the original Star Lord (now retconned to be an alternate Earth version of Peter Quill) was ever a Kree/Human.
    "Imperial" refers to Kree.

From here;
    A subsequent retcon by Brian Michael Bendis revealed that the biological father of the Star-Lord who was born on Earth-616 was actually King J'Son,[5] ruler of the Spartax Empire of the Spartax race from the planet Spartax.[1]
    Last edited by Shadowferal; 2021-08-31 at 05:33 PM.

I was giving you an opportunity to present your case.

You opted not to.
    Sorry officer, like i said, its pointless

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Sorry officer, like i said, its pointless
    Hey, if you want to make claims...you should be willing to back them up.

If you can't...then your claims can't be taken seriously

- - - Updated - - -

"Imperial" refers to Kree.

From here;
    A subsequent retcon by Brian Michael Bendis revealed that the biological father of the Star-Lord who was born on Earth-616 was actually King J'Son,[5] ruler of the Spartax Empire of the Spartax race from the planet Spartax.[1]
    From the same page immediately before your selection:

The Spartoi Empire of the Spartoi race from the planet Spartax was first mentioned as the homeworld of Prince Jason who was heir to the throne of the Empire.[2] This Spartax was located in the Sparta star system of the Greater Magellanic Cloud[3] and this Prince Jason was intended to be a younger version of the Emperor Jason who ruled his empire from the planet Sparta and was the biological father of Star-Lord.[4]

From the same page immediately before your selection:
    And under J'son;

Although inspired by the Emperor Jason of Sparta who first appeared in Marvel Preview #11, the current Earth-616 incarnation of J'Son was created by Brian Michael Bendis and first appeared in Guardians of the Galaxy (Vol. 3) #0.1.
    Prince Jason of Spartax who first appeared in Inhumans Vol 3 2 was originally meant to be a younger version of this Emperor J'son and the future father of Peter Quill. That Jason was a member of the Spartoi race and heir to the throne of the Spartoi Empire that existed in the Greater Magellanic Cloud[17] of Reality-616. However, a retcon in Guardians of the Galaxy (Vol. 3) #0.1 revealed that the father of the Star-Lord who was born on Earth-616 was actually a member of the Spartax race from another planet named Spartax and heir to the throne of the Spartax Empire that apparently existed in the Milky Way Galaxy. Subsequently, it was decided that classic Emperor Jason, his empire and the Star-Lord who was his son actually existed in the Earth-791 reality. This left Prince Jason from 2000 as character separate from both the classic Jason who appeared in 1977-1980 an the modern J'son who appeared from 2013 onwards.

-----

Retcons....just another reason to hate Bendis...

And under J'son;

Although inspired by the Emperor Jason of Sparta who first appeared in Marvel Preview #11, the current Earth-616 incarnation of J'Son was created by Brian Michael Bendis and first appeared in Guardians of the Galaxy (Vol. 3) #0.1.
    Prince Jason of Spartax who first appeared in Inhumans Vol 3 2 was originally meant to be a younger version of this Emperor J'son and the future father of Peter Quill. That Jason was a member of the Spartoi race and heir to the throne of the Spartoi Empire that existed in the Greater Magellanic Cloud[17] of Reality-616. However, a retcon in Guardians of the Galaxy (Vol. 3) #0.1 revealed that the father of the Star-Lord who was born on Earth-616 was actually a member of the Spartax race from another planet named Spartax and heir to the throne of the Spartax Empire that apparently existed in the Milky Way Galaxy. Subsequently, it was decided that classic Emperor Jason, his empire and the Star-Lord who was his son actually existed in the Earth-791 reality. This left Prince Jason from 2000 as character separate from both the classic Jason who appeared in 1977-1980 an the modern J'son who appeared from 2013 onwards.

-----

That's like saying James Gunn retconned everything making his dad be Ego and we should hate James Gunn.

Retcons are fine if they tell a better story.

And under J'son;

-----

Not going to defend the many mistakes of Brian Michael Bendis...but he wasn't the one that made Quill Spartaxian. He just changed which Spartax Quill was the heir to.

There's no mention of Quill ever being Kree/Human in any of the wikis though. And "Imperial" just means "From the Empire"...not necessarily the Kree Empire.

And there's this:

https://www.marvel.com/characters/st...uill/in-comics

Star-Beginning

Peter was raised solely by his mother and grew up a loner fascinated with science fiction and NASA. When the Spartax-Ariguan War turned in favor of his Empire, Jason sent his uncle, Gareth, to fetch his wife and son. Gareth, having his own machinations for the throne, sent an assassin to Earth to kill Meredith and Peter, though they only succeeded in slaying the former. Peter, having witnessed the brutal event, swore vengeance.
    Also:
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Marvel_Preview_Vol_1_11

Marvel Preview Vol 1 #11
    Published
    June, 1977

Featured Characters:

Star-Lord/Peter Quill

Supporting Characters:

Jason of Sparta (First appearance) (Main story and flashback)
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-08-31 at 06:42 PM.

Hmf...

Yeah...not finding "Kree" either. Must have been an old comic...referencing an approximation of alien spartax as kree I hate being wrong.

..and sweet jeebus...looking at the recent stuff...this is what their calling artwork? I certainly hope no one's paying for it. I might have to rethink my criticism of Liefeld.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Having T'Challa be the only person to talk Thanos down out of wiping out half the life in the universe (especially in light of the decision was a long time forming for Thanos based upon his life experiences) is on the level of tokenizing T'Challa to the extreme, especially in conjunction with the entire episode and what happens. The ending could've been a slight at Chris Pratt by the Marvel corporate machine, but even if it's not the case it's still serving to elevate T'Challa as Star-Lord by putting Peter Quill down.

The irony is they had a much better premise for a show teased right at the end: What If... Ego got to Peter Quill before Yondu? The problem was the writers probably couldn't come up with a good script for that, either... not that'd I'd trust them, at this point.
    Now that's a hot take if ever I've seen one. It's like the whole premise of the show has just flown over your head. It also seems like you don't understand what the term "tokenizing" means.

Why get so defensive about these fictional characters in a show that's supposed to push the envelope on alternate story lines? There's no slight on Chris Pratt. Peter Quill is nothing special without the experiences he had after being kidnapped by Yondu, and even then he was just a selfish, arrogant asshole until he got sucked into the infinity saga. That's not a put down because the misfit-to-hero arc what makes Peter Quill (and the Guardians as a whole) great characters.

Meanwhile T'Challa was born the prince of an already highly advanced society, raised by loving parents to be a leader. It's not that he's better than Peter Quill as a character, it's just a different hero's journey. We don't NEED to hear what T'Challa says to Thanos because it's not important. The episode was a revisiting of the first GotG movie with a Starlord that was a charismatic leader from the start.

Why would the ending of the episode have served as a better premise? Ego wins and terraforms a thousand planets into extensions of himself. That doesn't really seem like a worthwhile story that can be encapsulated into a 30min episode.

Hmf...

Yeah...not finding "Kree" either. Must have been an old comic...referencing an approximation of alien spartax as kree I hate being wrong.

..and sweet jeebus...looking at the recent stuff...this is what their calling artwork? I certainly hope no one's paying for it. I might have to rethink my criticism of Liefeld.
    Yeah, it seems Peter Quill took multiple retcon hits even before Bendis got a hold of him. It's not really surprising he decided to scrub all of it and just make a "new" Star-Lord.