Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    I mean, you can decide how to spend your money, but even raid logging at $15 a month is cheaper than movies XD
    But WoW isnt a movie so it isnt a fair comparison. Why not comparate it with.....PC game pass.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFawlty View Post
    But WoW isnt a movie so it isnt a fair comparison. Why not comparate it with.....PC game pass.
    If you're raid logging, which is what I was referencing, both give one evening entertainment. So price comparison is fair.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    If you're raid logging, which is what I was referencing, both give one evening entertainment. So price comparison is fair.
    No you have picked a form of entertainment that you know is more expensive. You can just as easily compare it to watching Netflix or taking the dog for a walk which you wont because it loses. The true and fair comparison therefore is what it is - a computer game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dequanacus View Post
    I'll open up the question to everybody since I've always wanted to see someone dispute it but nobody ever does. The month an expansion comes out (at least when I played WoW) I would absolutely play more than enough in that month to warrant the expansion cost+sub fee for that month. In the months following, it just becomes a simple question I ask myself of "am I going to play this enough to warrant $15?"
    At that point, how is a sub less financially efficient than a full priced game? Certainly you spent $60 on single player games that you've spent less than a hundred hours on, and a sub is $15 dollars anyway so it'd be more accurate to say four hundred hours as you're paying four time the price.
    I simply don't see how $15 isn't worth a hundred or more hours of my time. If the counter argument is "but I don't play that much" wouldn't you simply unsub as I have now that retail no longer interests me?
    Still not sure what the issue is with sub compared to the standard of buying a game once. They could switch entirely to a cash shop but further encouraging that behavior seems like a loss since it's content that could otherwise be attainable ingame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekekz View Post
    Everyone hated BC, everyone hated Wrath, everyone hated Cata and everyone will hate MoP. MoP will become the new worst expansion and Al'akir or BoT will become the new "last good raid" or something stupid like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    You're now blocked. Told you I was done with you. You want to pick fights over minute details as if this is the fucking presidential debate on a gaming forum.
    Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    Why does the subscription exist? Does anyone really know?

I understand you don't have to play if you don't want to. But, I'm genuinely asking. I don't understand why it exists.

I understand it provides more income for them and people pay it. They're also not the only game doing it. FF14 does for example.

It made sense to me in 2004, when it was assumed it was helping to pay for the servers, which were "special" to accommodate the massive populations and remarkable for the time. It was also assumed it would be to pay for steady content updates.

But, they need content updates or no one will play, which makes it kind of weird that we're funding them monthly in part to make content, they need to make anyway to keep people playing to buy store mounts, services, and keep interest in the game for future box sales.

Am I missing something? Is it really just to access the game? Does it make sense?

Update:

We’ve gotten an answer that claims it’s in the EULA that you’re paying to access to the game. I haven’t verified that, but I’ll assume for now it’s true.

We haven’t gotten an official answer as to “why” we’re paying monthly for access to the game yet.

If anyone has anything solid (not your opinion) such as, but not limited to, dev interview, official posts, even dev Twitter post, post it.

Thanks.
    Euuhhhhhh what?

Services ( GM's). all the extra patches content like that. I must agree the quality of those have gone down.

But also development cost of the next expansion.

Its a company making money.

Before people start raging on blizzard. Ubisoft and others use pay2win with cash items. Or put cool/handy stuff behind paywalls ( microtransactions).

More and more games are offering base game free, but then you need to pay for the cool stuff. In the end that nets you more money then a subscription.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is WoW $15 a month? gotta pay bobby kotick bonus somehow man

WoW is from the era where almost every MMO was on a subscription model. No reason to remove that sub if its still profitable. Besides, i don't think the premium services are compelling enough for most people to spend.

If blizzard thought they would have more profits by making the game free and having free players buy more cosmetics in the cash shop; they would have done it already. When it comes to corporate greed, you know they are better min/maxers than WF guilds.

Only solution is to add more cash shop items until it can balance 15$/person/month

Quote Originally Posted by zortport View Post
    If blizzard thought they would have more profits by making the game free and having free players buy more cosmetics in the cash shop; they would have done it already. When it comes to corporate greed, you know they are better min/maxers than WF guilds.

Only solution is to add more cash shop items until it can balance 15$/person/month
    This is true and at some point may well happen. They will ofcourse have some sort of Blizztard fanboy subscripion with something like increased inventory space, access to the White Knight armour and a "free" mount every 6 months for those no longer capable of making informed decisions. The rest of the income will come from increased store sales from people playing FTP.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is entertainment, just like a movie is, or another streaming service.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

That's interesting I didn't know it said that in the EULA. Have they ever explained why they charge $15 a month to access the game? Is it in the EULA that you know of?

I'm genuinely just curious what their rationale is. It seems impossible to find a clear answer and the community seems to lash out or say their own rationale when its asked, without really answering.
    Do you always agree to things without reading them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium

I understand you don't have to play if you don't want to. But, I'm genuinely asking. I don't understand why it exists.

I understand it provides more income for them and people pay it. They're also not the only game doing it. FF14 does for example.

It made sense to me in 2004, when it was assumed it was helping to pay for the servers, which were "special" to accommodate the massive populations and remarkable for the time. It was also assumed it would be to pay for steady content updates.

But, they need content updates or no one will play, which makes it kind of weird that we're funding them monthly in part to make content, they need to make anyway to keep people playing to buy store mounts, services, and keep interest in the game for future box sales.

Am I missing something? Is it really just to access the game? Does it make sense?

Update:

We’ve gotten an answer that claims it’s in the EULA that you’re paying to access to the game. I haven’t verified that, but I’ll assume for now it’s true.

We haven’t gotten an official answer as to “why” we’re paying monthly for access to the game yet.

If anyone has anything solid (not your opinion) such as, but not limited to, dev interview, official posts, even dev Twitter post, post it.

Thanks.
    For a few months in the last season I was a little worried.. but S2 is feeling good so..

Why does wow cost 15U$D a month to play? To keep out the scrubknights

F2P games are all cancer and I'm proud to play a game that at least requires you to make gold to play for free.. those scrubknights that plague the f2p games are literally EBOLA

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    WoW is entertainment, just like a movie is, or another streaming service.
    Still dosent make it a fair comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    If you have a little time on your hand check out Dungeons & Dragons Online. F2P with all kinds of other stuff to pay for. Shop always in your face. Pay for character skots etc. And while you're at it play a dungeon or two, DDO doesn't have tank/hel/dps trinity and tell me how that feels

I believe WoWs subscription model is way superior to F2P
    You're also forgetting that Blizzard charges for expansions, basically full retails games. Imagine paying a subscription Price for SKyrim or Witcher 3 to access certain questlines aka Renown levels (which they lock behind a artificial time-gate to essentially make you pay more in the long run anyway.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by itzLCD View Post
    You're also forgetting that Blizzard charges for expansions, basically full retails games. Imagine paying a subscription Price for SKyrim or Witcher 3 to access certain questlines aka Renown levels (which they lock behind a artificial time-gate to essentially make you pay more in the long run anyway.)
    You already see streaming services doing that such as Disney+ and AmazonPrime.

- - - Updated - - -

Still dosent make it a fair comparison.
    It is an allotted time of entertainment, so it is kinda fair?

You have access to WoW for 720 hours pr. subscription of 15 dollars. You pay 0.02 cents pr. hour of entertainment.

You have access to a movie in the cinema for about 2 hours pr. ticket of 20 dollars. You pay 10 dollars pr. hour of entertainment.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    You already see streaming services doing that such as Disney+ and AmazonPrime.

- - - Updated - - -

It is an allotted time of entertainment, so it is kinda fair?

You have access to WoW for 720 hours pr. subscription of 15 dollars. You pay 0.02 cents pr. hour of entertainment.

You have access to a movie in the cinema for about 2 hours pr. ticket of 20 dollars. You pay 10 dollars pr. hour of entertainment.
    No it isn’t kinda fair, they are different forms of entertainment and sold in a different way. What you are doing is justifying high cost of WoW by comparing it to something relatively expensive on an hour by hour basis and going "Look how cheap it is".

10+ Year Old Account
    No it isn’t kinda fair, they are different forms of entertainment and sold in a different way. What you are doing is justifying high cost of WoW by comparing it to something relatively expensive on an hour by hour basis and going "Look how cheap it is".
    I am judging them both on the same premises? A hobby. Technically, more value for subscribing to the game than going to the movies, I understand, that is a bit unfair to compare as well as the movie is not interactive.

Update:

Thanks.
    When you buy the product, you buy the license to play. The initial product development is covered here. This is also typical for Microsoft products and in general for all software. You never own it, but you may use it. It's like rentning, but better as you have different rights.

You Pay 15$ as sub, because this funds the cost of a huge serverfarm and construction of a whole building, the electricity bills, equipment, top redundant ISP connection and plain maintainance of all this. More people playing defines the cost and it can even be more costly, than what they earn from selling the license.

This part alone requires technical staff(outside programers)and requires another business mastery and this alone is enough to create a buisness case(I would know as this is my career field). This is not to mention hotfix maintaince of the game, running callcenters and hosting Blizzcon or tournaments.

The only technical difference between WoW and Netflix/HBO is that you dont pay for the license when you opt to Netflix/HBO(given that there is no product interface like WoW, with the required software devlopment).

Whatever that is leftover of the money, goes to other projects and to the devs(you kinda fund the development of D4, just like D3 before that).

Obviously this is a good business model, as WoW been around for almost 2 decades and it generated more money than WoWs initial development price(many times over by now). Maybe Blizz would crash and the Diablo series sold to some indie company, if it wasnt for WoW.

Personal note to you - how did you miss giving any after thought before creating this thread? Have you ever worked before? Any 14yo kid working at McD would atleast know, why a burger costs what it costs.
    Last edited by HansOlo; 2021-07-13 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuvio View Post
    Or you need to stop paying the money if you are so unhappy about the state of the game.
    I already have for a while