Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
3
11
12
13
14
15
LastLast
  1. #241
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ...location, location!
    Posts
    13,006
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    The horde would rather die of infighting than EVER side with the alliance
    Except they literally did that (side with the Alliance) in Warcraft 3, to stop Archimonde. And then they repeated to do it again and again, on-and-off, throughout World of Warcraft when facing against various threats. Like the Ahn'Qiraj War Effort, the opening of the gate, the dual attacks on C'thun and his supporters, and many, many other times. Sure, it's almost never cordial or nice working together, and there even tend to be clashes against each other while doing so, but the bulk of the efforts are typically focused on defeating the Big Bad.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrorthatflapsinthenight View Post
    Besides even if Garrosh won it would have been a temporary victory until the Burning Legion invades again and destroy Azeroth as shown in the Blank Scroll story, as well as what happened after he changed AU Draenor fate.
    I've never read this short story before. Holy shit, this is good. Why the hell are the best stories reserved for short stories that most people will never even hear of?

  2. #242
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Except they literally did that (side with the Alliance) in Warcraft 3, to stop Archimonde. And then they repeated to do it again and again, on-and-off, throughout World of Warcraft when facing against various threats. Like the Ahn'Qiraj War Effort, the opening of the gate, the dual attacks on C'thun and his supporters, and many, many other times. Sure, it's almost never cordial or nice working together, and there even tend to be clashes against each other while doing so, but the bulk of the efforts are typically focused on defeating the Big Bad.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I've never read this short story before. Holy shit, this is good. Why the hell are the best stories reserved for short stories that most people will never even hear of?
    They only use their better writers, or let them use their full skills, for these short stories it would seem.

  3. #243
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ...location, location!
    Posts
    13,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrorthatflapsinthenight View Post
    They only use their better writers, or let them use their full skills, for these short stories it would seem.
    That one story alone reinvigorated my love for the Lorewalkers, and made them even cooler than before. Hell, it even made me begrudgingly respect Gallywix just a little.

    And now I really miss MoP.

  4. #244
    The restoration of Stromgarde under Danath Trollbane's leadership and failed Horde attempt to prevent it, which should have seen the Forsaken instead of the Orcs fighting humans, should have happened at the end of Cataclysm or during MOP.

    Also Kul Tiras and Zandalar should have joined the Alliance and the Horde earlier, with the Zandalari at last joining while Vol'jin was warchief and with him having established a real relationship with the Zandalari and Rastakhan.

  5. #245
    Titan Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    12,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    So basically you're trying to say I'm wrong by explaining how I'm right?
    no, im saying you are wrong with the timeline.

    Cairne had due cause for issuing Mak'gora,
    he didn't, he was just mad at the accident and though it was him, there was no danger when fighting a way other people brough upou you.

    as he recognized the growing danger of the out-of-control Garrosh early on. Baine shouldn't have needed to "ask for help," either; Garrosh knew what Magatha had done and what she planned. His response was just to refuse her request for aid in committing the coup in Thunder Bluff. As he does with the Gilneans, he might as well have pushed the Tauren into the arms of the Alliance himself. A fair measure of the blame for Baine's later predicament concerning his debt to Jaina Proudmoore rests on the shoulders of Garrosh.
    Again, It was bain who didn't ask for his help and support.

    Yes, the taurens would sure go for the alliance with the dwarves and humans bombing their tribes and stealing their land, im sure Baine would gladly give his lands tot he alliance but i expect an rebelion from the tauren before that.

    So instead of one genocidal tyrant, you would have two? That's not a good thing for the Horde.
    anyone who is against the alliance is a genocidal tyrant? even when fighting for their people a way that they started?

    It's the job of advisors to point out issues and mistakes.
    ITs not the job of the adviors to defy, undermine and treat to kill him, do that in any job and you are out
    Garrosh is the Warchief, and he put Sylvanas in command himself - responsibility flows from the top,
    No, she asked for it, the blame is on her.

    Varian repels the Horde from Northwatch in Tides of War. It was re-fortified later on.
    pretty sure they took northwatch hold before going for theramore, it was retooked after SoO, unless there was another alliance taking and horde taking back in between.
    Again, responsibility flows from the top. Trying to pin the blame on Garrosh's subordinates only highlights what a weak leader Garrosh actually was.
    So, the traitors are Garrosh to blaime, that is sure a hell of a spin.

    When your achievements are few and your failures many, it is easy to focus on the latter over the former. The rest is just whataboutism that isn't germane to the discussion.
    His archevemnts are nto few neither his failures that many.

    Saurfang was leading the Warsong Offensive at Icecrown Citadel, not Garrosh.
    No, it was Garrosh, thats why Saurfang fights on it as a soldier

    He enjoyed support early on, sure, *very* early on. He started to lose it just as quickly though, beginning with his actions in Ashenvale.
    The support was only lost in MOP.
    Given that we now know of Sylvanas' complicity in the Wrathgate incident, I would say that it wasn't a war the enemy started at all. Varian declared war, sure; but he was incited by the Forsaken's horrific actions at the Wrathgate - that would make the start of the faction infighting in WotLK the Horde's fault.
    Varian gave two shits about the forsakena ctions ar the wrathgate and you know thats why focused on kalindor and the orcs, not in the forsaken

    And now that is also Horde fault, and of course that msut be Garrosh fault somehow

    Be careful tha tnow your bias is showing.
    Cairne was justified in what he felt,
    There wa sno justification since his accusations and were completely passional and without proof.


    Garrosh didn't make it a "superpower" by any means - he left the Horde fractured and depleted, at the mercy of Varian and the Alliance who opted to take the high road and let the Horde rebuild under a new leader.
    What? you are just totally wrong, again.

    youa re also completly ignoring and messing up witht he timeline.

    The horde was in jeopardy back in wtLCK, and Garrosh made it a super power in cataclysm to stand against the alliance.

    Even aftr MOP The horde was still strong enough to defy the alliance, if you think "they were at his mercy" you are delusional

    The bfA victories were also made possible because of his actions, a lot of things the horde use today was because of him, the city itself, even the place down orgrimmar was useful, his weaponry , everything he did was useful, donwplaying what he did just because he was mean, bald and ugly is just absurd.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrorthatflapsinthenight View Post
    Also Kul Tiras and Zandalar should have joined the Alliance and the Horde earlier, with the Zandalari at last joining while Vol'jin was warchief and with him having established a real relationship with the Zandalari and Rastakhan.
    Bfa will always be one of the most horrendous crimes on the lore, darkspear completely irrelevant from zandalar, vol'jin killed to give spotlight to a dead elf, and donwplayed to a gold ghost who gives two shits about the horde.

  6. #246
    The writing is flat out miserable and the game hasn't seen meaningful development for about six years. All the updates for modern WoW have become purely temporary, seasonal content.


    Maybe the problems are shitty threads like this. Garrosh DID have a weak core, he was an absolute wreck when we met him in outlands. I mean even now hes just a petty person, he literally kamikaze'd his soul to an already down foe out of MERE SPITE.
    What do you think you're playing? Stop wheeling out the psychiatrist chairs for WARCRAFT characters. A bulk of the problems with modern nerd entertainment is that certain splinters of us dweebs grew up feeling self important and can't just write things to their strengths/purposes anymore because thats "beneath them".

    It is not possible to take a character like Sylvanas or Garrosh and turn them into a well nuanced, tragic victim. They are amusing cartoon stereotypes. You write for them in the moment or you make a new product

  7. #247
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    35,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    --- snip ---
    As I figured, this is just going to devolve into a back and forth with no real conclusion as you try to rebut points. Trying to lionize Garrosh by minimizing or recontextualizing his failures isn't a winning gambit given his conclusion - we know exactly what Garrosh did, and where he ultimately ended up. Magatha and Garrosh weren't genocidal tyrants solely because they "opposed the Alliance," it was due to how they went about it. Magatha was a xenophobic despot and Tauren supremacist, whereas Garrosh was pretty much the same except for the Orcs. Garrosh even planned to reperpetrate the Old Horde's original sin of slaughtering the Draenei on AU Draenor for no real reason, given his grievance was with Azeroth. That's what kind of a maniac Garrosh was at his core. Garrosh treated any kind of criticism as insubordination, which is a marquee sign of a weak and feckless leader - an inability to accept being called out or held to account. You can feel free to check Chronicle Vol. 3 or WoWPedia if you want to confirm my sources - I did when I made them, after all, and sourced the material they came from. Beyond unsupported bias, you're basically just saying "nuh uh" and "you're wrong" without evidence or citation to back it up.

    As I don't think there's any real headway to be had and we're already off-topic, this is my last reply on this particular tangent in the thread.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2021-07-15 at 10:46 PM.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." - Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

  8. #248
    Quote Originally Posted by Merin View Post
    The writing is flat out miserable and the game hasn't seen meaningful development for about six years. All the updates for modern WoW have become purely temporary, seasonal content.



    What do you think you're playing? Stop wheeling out the psychiatrist chairs for WARCRAFT characters. A bulk of the problems with modern nerd entertainment is that certain splinters of us dweebs grew up feeling self important and can't just write things to their strengths/purposes anymore because thats "beneath them".

    It is not possible to take a character like Sylvanas or Garrosh and turn them into a well nuanced, tragic victim. They are amusing cartoon stereotypes. You write for them in the moment or you make a new product
    All it takes to fix an unfavored character is a good idea and solid writing. One of the chief problems WoW faces is that it's been riding down the success of the 2000s and fundamentally failed to move with the times. While forums are often used for venting frustrations regarding the contemporary product we get i think most longstanding fans just want Blizzard to do better or FFXIV really will be the WoW killer.

  9. #249
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    That’s because SC2 story is legit franchise killing bad

    The gameplay is phenomenal but the whole Kerrigan arc is nauseatingly bad writing
    Apparently, Metzen did not want that kind of story. His idea for WoL was Raynor having problems with alcoholism and ruining the missions. Eventually, you would help him to stand up on his own. The team was against it.

    Also, they wanted more dialogues and cutscenes during the missions (like WC3), but the team was convinced to explore the ships. So the story instead of being linked to in-game events, it needed to be prepared before or after mission. They also designed the maps according to the gameplay, instead of what is useful in the story.

    In an interview, Dustin Browder said something like the exaggerated character traits to make they easy to remember (more like comic characters).

  10. #250
    Titan Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    12,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    As I figured, this is just going to devolve into a back and forth with no real conclusion as you try to rebut points. Trying to lionize Garrosh by minimizing or recontextualizing his failures isn't a winning gambit given his conclusion - we know exactly what Garrosh did, and where he ultimately ended up. Magatha and Garrosh weren't genocidal tyrants solely because they "opposed the Alliance," it was due to how they went about it. Magatha was a xenophobic despot and Tauren supremacist, whereas Garrosh was pretty much the same except for the Orcs. Garrosh even planned to reperpetrate the Old Horde's original sin of slaughtering the Draenei on AU Draenor for no real reason, given his grievance was with Azeroth. That's what kind of a maniac Garrosh was at his core. Garrosh treated any kind of criticism as insubordination, which is a marquee sign of a weak and feckless leader - an inability to accept being called out or held to account. You can feel free to check Chronicle Vol. 3 or WoWPedia if you want to confirm my sources - I did when I made them, after all, and sourced the material they came from. Beyond unsupported bias, you're basically just saying "nuh uh" and "you're wrong" without evidence or citation to back it up.

    As I don't think there's any real headway to be had and we're already off-topic, this is my last reply on this particular tangent in the thread.
    And of course you will try to demonize him, minimize and ignore what he did and "aggrandize" his failure like colossal things. You can't tell timelines apart, its like only MOP and WOd exist. I feels petty to say you 'call me out" when you were literally ignoring almost the entirty of Cata and before with what he did with the horde - turning from a lame ass faction to the point to stand against the alliance - to support your "tyranical dick" idea of hiim, to the point of saying it was horde fault for the war Varian declare and even saying it was because of that he declared.

  11. #251
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    And of course you will try to demonize him, minimize and ignore what he did and "aggrandize" his failure like colossal things. You can't tell timelines apart, its like only MOP and WOd exist. I feels petty to say you 'call me out" when you were literally ignoring almost the entirty of Cata and before with what he did with the horde - turning from a lame ass faction to the point to stand against the alliance - to support your "tyranical dick" idea of hiim, to the point of saying it was horde fault for the war Varian declare and even saying it was because of that he declared.
    He did want to slaugther everyone that opposed him, foes and allies alike. And since he wanted to dominate the world basically, everyone opposed him. So he was a tyrant, good riddance.

  12. #252
    Titan Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    12,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    He did want to slaugther everyone that opposed him, foes and allies alike. And since he wanted to dominate the world basically, everyone opposed him. So he was a tyrant, good riddance.
    Why would he want to slaughter alies?, like, allies and not traitors

  13. #253
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Why would he want to slaughter alies?, like, allies and not traitors
    Because anyone that would say something that he would not like was deemed a traitor, anyone that would question his decisions would be branded the same. That is the callmark of a tyrant.

  14. #254
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Sure, isn't like the hellscream offsensive was ltierally in the final raid.

    He was the hero of the war in nrtrend and why the people liked him
    Garrosh was an idiot during Wrath who wanted to attack the Alliance. Saurfang had to remind him that killing Alliance soldiers merely gave the Lich King more dead bodies to use against them.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Ardenaso View Post
    I really preferred if the Alliance were the bad guys and the Horde were the good guys (save for the Forsaken and Blood Elves)

    the Warcraft 3 to WotLK Horde accepts anyone regardless of race, skin color, and gender while the Alliance are self-righteous xenophobic racists that will slaughter anyone that doesn't look like a human - as it was in Warcraft 3
    If that was the case then the Alliance would have followed Greymane's stance and killed the Orcs rather then putting them in camps.

  15. #255
    Herald of the Titans Ardenaso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmatrix View Post
    If that was the case then the Alliance would have followed Greymane's stance and killed the Orcs rather then putting them in camps.
    I'd think Terenas' will overrides every others and his allies only decided to put up with him
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

    I make Warcraft 3 Reforged custom models that intends to fill the gaps in the Reforged campaign

  16. #256
    Over 9000! Soon-TM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    9,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrorthatflapsinthenight View Post
    The restoration of Stromgarde under Danath Trollbane's leadership and failed Horde attempt to prevent it, which should have seen the Forsaken instead of the Orcs fighting humans, should have happened at the end of Cataclysm or during MOP.

    Also Kul Tiras and Zandalar should have joined the Alliance and the Horde earlier, with the Zandalari at last joining while Vol'jin was warchief and with him having established a real relationship with the Zandalari and Rastakhan.
    This is one of several bits that make me think that MoP 2.0 aka BfA was originally planned to come before Legion. Indeed, the Zandalari approaching the Horde (or vice-versa) and finding a receptive listener would have made way more sense with Vol'jin at the helm instead of the dArK LadY. Also, BfA was sold at some point as the ultimate AvH showdown, with all its warfronts - only two made it to live, but there were datamined dialog lines/art assets (from alpha iirc) for warfronts in the Barrens and in Silvermoon. It would have been quite cool if the Legion had invaded once we were kicking each other's butts, in a nice callback to the very first cinematic from vanilla WC3... But it was not meant to be
    If the Janitor managed to pwn Azeroth:

    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    "Die, wold soul of *incomprehensible mumbling* with your death my plan to *incomoprehensible mumbling* finally fullfilled and *incomprehensible mumbling*!"

  17. #257
    Titan Syegfryed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Darkshore, Killing Living and Dead elves
    Posts
    12,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmatrix View Post
    Garrosh was an idiot during Wrath who wanted to attack the Alliance. Saurfang had to remind him that killing Alliance soldiers merely gave the Lich King more dead bodies to use against them.
    cool, you cited one instance in the entire expansion, now look for the rest, He was the hero of nortrend, he help to make victory and why the people liked him

  18. #258
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    11,176
    while I have been defending a lot of the writers here (and for some good reason its not entirely their fault), I do think on a general scale yes there is a writing problem but its only because Warcraft is nearly 30 years old and when you have a franchise going for that long, as well as an MMO that's taken 17 of those years continuously, to pump out story then you are going to run into issues.

    This is a problem I recently got to thinking about when it came to the Forgotten Realms franchise (a franchise I also love), when you have all these creative voices, you are going to get inconsistencies, you are going to get a tonal shift, the handling of certain characters will be different, and this is all unavoidable its rough as hell, but its how Blizzard are approaching its creative department.

    Over the years when and if this franchise is still going, there will be more changes to creative which means more people leaving, more people coming in, more shifts in tone and style and characters. Its unavoidable unless you end the franchise or force the original writers to keep doing it..
    Last edited by Orby; 2021-07-16 at 08:24 PM.
    Proof is boring. Proof is tiresome. Proof is irrelevance. People would rather be handed an easy lie than search for a difficult truth, especially when it suits their own purpose.
    - Glokta
    The Last Argument of Kings, The First Law Trilogy.

  19. #259
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    This is one of several bits that make me think that MoP 2.0 aka BfA was originally planned to come before Legion. Indeed, the Zandalari approaching the Horde (or vice-versa) and finding a receptive listener would have made way more sense with Vol'jin at the helm instead of the dArK LadY. Also, BfA was sold at some point as the ultimate AvH showdown, with all its warfronts - only two made it to live, but there were datamined dialog lines/art assets (from alpha iirc) for warfronts in the Barrens and in Silvermoon. It would have been quite cool if the Legion had invaded once we were kicking each other's butts, in a nice callback to the very first cinematic from vanilla WC3... But it was not meant to be
    It would have been far better and more justified if it was the Burning Legion that destroyed Teldrassil and the Undercity, and if Tyrande went through the NW ritual to fight them instead of seeing this supposed to be so powerful ability wasted like that.

  20. #260
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Indeed, the Zandalari approaching the Horde (or vice-versa) and finding a receptive listener would have made way more sense with Vol'jin at the helm instead of the dArK LadY.
    Only an Orc can be a true Warchief.
    The others just seem misplaced.

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrorthatflapsinthenight View Post
    It would have been far better and more justified if it was the Burning Legion that destroyed Teldrassil and the Undercity, and if Tyrande went through the NW ritual to fight them instead of seeing this supposed to be so powerful ability wasted like that.
    I actually like this idea. It makes a lot of sense.
    Another option would be Ragnaros burning Teldrassil and the Scourge destroying Lordaeron.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •