Thread: The "Tradwife"

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    You claim.
    Actually you claim. You are the one who started the infinite vs. finite growth but your only "evidence" for such an absurd claim is "people in the future will figure this out".

  2. #22
    Elemental Lord KuerbisgeschmackShake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Messing with Texas
    Posts
    8,093
    Dang, I thought this was going to be a Liz Bruenig dunk thread...

    Trads be mad, barely 2 generations women couldnt have their own checking account or credit card.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    The rise of Trump saw a rise in many hyper-conservative nigh fascistic ideologies, including the need for men to control women's lives. The first easily locatable mention of "tradewife" is from an article in January 2020, so the while the concept has been around for a long time, this nomenclature is fairly new.
    I remember reading some conservative author in an article about "what the GOP should stand for" in the last couple years who was just a hair away from an explicit "get women back in the kitchen." Obviously disgustingly misogynistic, but my other thought was that as someone that votes Democratic- I would really love the electoral outcome of the GOP telling Millennial and Gen Z women to get back in the kitchen and have more babies.

    Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    Tradwife only works if the other partner makes mucho bucks, or some weird funding source, or they're already rich, or...
    Yeah, one of the big problems with conservatives' yearning to return to the "traditional family" (aka 50's iteration, which was ironically a blip in terms of history) is that it is much, much harder for a family with one income these days.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

  4. #24
    Elemental Lord Santti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    8,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Actually you claim. You are the one who started the infinite vs. finite growth but your only "evidence" for such an absurd claim is "people in the future will figure this out".
    He pretty much cites Star Trek as evidence. I kid you not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Money laundering, especially prior to his election? I couldn't give a flying fuck.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    Tradwife only works if the other partner makes mucho bucks, or some weird funding source, or they're already rich, or...

    If the woman wants to be in that relationship with her role that well-defined, it's up to her, but, I'm not at all in favor of others trying to push her to 'conform', either; i.e. stop trying to tell women how to be women. It's her choice. Let her live her life with who she wants to (or doesn't want to).

    Keep in mind I say that as a man who's been married to the same woman for 30 years, but, I sure didn't marry any shrinking violet. We make roughly equal incomes, and close to the same education. I'm actually technically the less-educated, but, extra degrees are worth more in her field, where experience and ability is more valued in mine, which is why the difference. As I said our incomes are within 10% of each other, and if you must know, she makes slightly more, but I have better benefits, so it balances out.

    Still, some dumbasses seem to think that because she's been married to me for that long, that I have 'kept her down' somehow. Anyone who knows me and/or her would know that's a crock of BS. Of course, some men think that I should 'take her in hand' for some unknown reason. I knew who and what she was when I married her, and I wouldn't change it if I could.
    I don't think you need to be making a huge amount of money, though maybe we have drastically different ideas of what that is. Years ago my ex and I lived together in what was effectively this arrangement, I was the breadwinner and she basically took care of the home stuff and it worked out pretty well on a salary that was less than the median for the country at the time, while living in San Diego which is pretty expensive. Because she was at home we were able to save money in a lot of ways, especially on food. In that case it wasn't about traditional values though, she just had a significant anxiety disorder she wasn't willing to get help for (for understandable reasons). She did eventually overcome it and got herself a good job.

  6. #26
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Berenstein Timeline
    Posts
    54,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If you want to be a homemaker, fine. I'm not gonna claim you shouldn't; it's a fine role and ideally, society should function comfortably with a single wage-earner in a family, if they want to get by like that.

    But the idea that it should be preferred by women in general? Fuck that misogynistic nugget-dicked noise.
    The Virgin Tradwife vs the Chad Househusband

    Every heartwarming human interest story in America is like "he raised $20,000 to keep 200 orphans from being crushed in the orphan-crushing machine" and then never asks why an orphan-crushing machine exists or why you'd need to pay to prevent it from being used.

    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    so ? Teacher is about teaching, not education.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    A tip to anyone that wants a "tradwife": Throw away your red pill shit opinion, exercise, watch your diet, shower regularly, and look in proper circles for women who want that kind of life.
    A tip from someone who usually dates them: They are everywhere, not just in 'certain circles' as the OP tries to claim.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Besides it's hard to pin this down in a definition anyhow. Or a lot of wrong stereotypes that people have in their minds.

    I've known extreme "tradwifes" that were some of the most extrovert, comedical, playful, adventurous, outgoing and even career-ambitious women I've ever known. There really is no particular stereotype that you can put on it, and some "tradwifes" do have jobs while still wanting to do all the housework and looking after the children too, at the same time.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    A tip from someone who usually dates them: They are everywhere, not just in 'certain circles' as the OP tries to claim.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Besides it's hard to pin this down in a definition anyhow. Or a lot of wrong stereotypes that people have in their minds.

    I've known extreme "tradwifes" that were some of the most extrovert, comedical, playful, adventurous, outgoing and even career-ambitious women I've ever known. There really is no particular stereotype that you can put on it, and some "tradwifes" do have jobs while still wanting to do all the housework and looking after the children too, at the same time.
    As long as it is not "forced" on someone, who mind ?

  9. #29
    Scarab Lord downnola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Made in Philly, living in Akron.
    Posts
    4,285
    It's so nice to see everyone so open minded about Tradwives.

    Now do Hijabs.
    Populists (and "national socialists") look at the supposedly secret deals that run the world "behind the scenes". Child's play. Except that childishness is sinister in adults.
    - Christopher Hitchens

  10. #30
    Void Lord Elegiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Berenstein Timeline
    Posts
    54,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    I've known extreme "tradwifes" that were some of the most extrovert, comedical, playful, adventurous, outgoing and even career-ambitious women I've ever known. There really is no particular stereotype that you can put on it, and some "tradwifes" do have jobs while still wanting to do all the housework and looking after the children too, at the same time.
    r/thathappened, and the people you're describing are not necessarily tradwives.

    Tradwife does not mean "a spouse that's focused on domestic rather than professional affairs", it refers to a specific set of ideological beliefs about the role of women in society and attempts to furnish particular social goals by encouraging that role - namely ensuring that white people outbreed minorities by prioritizing women's reproductive capacity even at the cost of their agency.

    This is why fascists get their knickers twisted about feminism (and homosexuality) and are constantly promoting repackaged versions of the same paradigm. In the early USA it was Republican Motherhood, in Nazi Germany it was Neue Frau, in modern times it's the Tradwife.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-07-12 at 11:14 AM.
    Every heartwarming human interest story in America is like "he raised $20,000 to keep 200 orphans from being crushed in the orphan-crushing machine" and then never asks why an orphan-crushing machine exists or why you'd need to pay to prevent it from being used.

    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    so ? Teacher is about teaching, not education.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    We can discover or create an infinite amount of new resources. They are not finite. The world has plenty of resources for everyone.
    I didn't know we found magic or the philospher's stone to allow such a thing to happen.

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    If humanity started shrinking because of culture and lifestyle then I would simply try to educate ...
    You can't educate anyone on anything since you prove with every post that you don't have an education.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    We can discover or create an infinite amount of new resources. They are not finite. The world has plenty of resources for everyone.
    And naturally you prattle bullshit.

  13. #33
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    34,180
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    It's so nice to see everyone so open minded about Tradwives.

    Now do Hijabs.
    If women want to wear Hijabs, let them. But don't allow them to be forced nor coerced into it. See, that wasn't hard was it?
    "Nazis are like cats. If they like you, it's probably because you're feeding them." -John Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Knadra finally just admitting Trumpkins care more about political victories than morals.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    If the population starts shrinking though then I would say there is some flaw in non-Trad lifestyles that needs to be addressed.
    Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Gilead, we will soon be distributing fertile women to "deserving" families to be used as broodmares.

    /s
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2021-07-12 at 01:10 PM.

  15. #35
    The Undying Cthulhu 2020's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rigging your election
    Posts
    34,180
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    If the population starts shrinking though then I would say there is some flaw in non-Trad lifestyles that needs to be addressed.
    Do you mean the world population, country population, or ethnic population? Because if the world pop starts declining at a steady rate I would go for very strongly pro-parenthood approach that incentivized people to have children about ten times harder than we do now. If it's for the well being of humanity, those fuck head corporations can pay up.

    If the country's population is shrinking but others aren't... depends on the country. But I don't see that happening in the USA. And even if it does, there's plenty of people in other countries looking for better opportunities who would love to move here. "But what if they overtake the culture?" The US's culture is a melting pot. Throwing a few more scraps of random metals in won't change the country's culture from its already hyper diverse origins.

    If you're worried about the ethnic population...

    Well we know how that ends for you. Not good.
    "Nazis are like cats. If they like you, it's probably because you're feeding them." -John Oliver
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    I don't care if he committed tax fraud. Scoring political victories and crushing the aspirations of your political opponents is more important than adhering to moral principles.
    Knadra finally just admitting Trumpkins care more about political victories than morals.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    As long as the population is stable or growing slightly then I think there is no value in "tradwives" whatsoever. "Trad" in these cases usually just means "limit freedoms and self-determination". If the population starts shrinking though then I would say there is some flaw in non-Trad lifestyles that needs to be addressed.
    Women can only make one baby a year, though, barring multiples--wouldn't keeping men at home to make babies and care for house and children make more sense, by your logic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch-Angel of Riots View Post
    Until then, I honestly don't care about anything else much. Until then it can all burn down to the ground for all I care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    Yeah, I think it's fair to conclude that "Fuck the poor" "Arch-angel of Riots" is just in it with the hope of inflicting maximum harm for maximum chaos, and since they've shown no particular attachment to any guiding moral, ideological, or political principle, it seems to be for the sake of maximum fun.

  17. #37
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    68,721
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    It's so nice to see everyone so open minded about Tradwives.

    Now do Hijabs.
    I feel the same way about hijabs as I feel about skirts.

    If women want to wear 'em, go nuts.
    If men want to wear 'em, rock it, dude. Who am I to say otherwise?
    If men want to make women wear them; fuck off, you creepy-ass motherfucker.

    And trying to force women to not wear skirts (or hijab) is just as creepy-ass as the reverse. Let women wear whatever the fuck they want to.

    Ironically, same position that I expressed regarding "tradwifes"; that homemakers are fine, that society shouldn't require double income families, that there shouldn't be a gender-normative restriction on it, and that it should be up to any given individual to choose their path in life.


  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    All of the time, I see conservatives claiming that feminists make these statements, such as the whole "every woman should pursue a career". And yet, when I try to look up information on this, I only ever come upon conservative groups taking one woman's shitty twitter post and claiming that it's statements "feminists" make. The norm among feminist groups is the message "Live your life how you want and don't let anyone stop you from that". I've not seen "YOU MUST FIND A CAREER" from basically anyone EXCEPT conservatives making the claim that this is happening.
    There is actually one feminist I can think of who argues this (paraphrasing: "Harvard PhDs staying home to wipe butts? Disgusting!")--she even wrote a book called Get to Work and she was vilified for it from all sides. I think she's brave and hilarious, but w/e. It's funny that people can pretty much freely share all their thoughts on what women should be doing UNLESS they say women should work, even though it's pretty expected that men "should" be working. And we can talk daily about unemployment numbers and whether UI causes people not to work but I guess we're only talking about men because they can't mean women because that's off limits.

    In case the above gets misinterpreted, I'm trying to get at the cognitive dissonance of run of the mill discussions about work bumping up against people's discomfort with saying women should work, and I'm probably not doing a good job of it, so to clarify, I think men and women should have the de-stigmatized option to work outside the home or stay home to raise children, and that we should structurally address the reality that people have and raise children without penalizing their careers for it, which women overwhelmingly bear the brunt of. What I am remarking upon is that saying women should have careers garners rage from every direction but saying women should stay home is just a topic people wrangle over occasionally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch-Angel of Riots View Post
    Until then, I honestly don't care about anything else much. Until then it can all burn down to the ground for all I care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    Yeah, I think it's fair to conclude that "Fuck the poor" "Arch-angel of Riots" is just in it with the hope of inflicting maximum harm for maximum chaos, and since they've shown no particular attachment to any guiding moral, ideological, or political principle, it seems to be for the sake of maximum fun.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    I don't think you need to be making a huge amount of money, though maybe we have drastically different ideas of what that is. Years ago my ex and I lived together in what was effectively this arrangement, I was the breadwinner and she basically took care of the home stuff and it worked out pretty well on a salary that was less than the median for the country at the time, while living in San Diego which is pretty expensive. Because she was at home we were able to save money in a lot of ways, especially on food. In that case it wasn't about traditional values though, she just had a significant anxiety disorder she wasn't willing to get help for (for understandable reasons). She did eventually overcome it and got herself a good job.
    And that's not a problem to me. You worked around the problems and made it work, and didn't try to find someone or something to blame it on.

    Too many people try to force others into such and such box, and that's just bad. My brother has a very black-and-white view of how people are supposed to live and do things, and we clash all the time, because I don't fit into his way of thinking.

    I'm not exactly radical, I have what I would call a pretty normal life at 51 years old, and almost 30 years married (12/6 will be 30 years), but I'm not letting my brother tell me or my family how to live, either.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I feel the same way about hijabs as I feel about skirts.

    If women want to wear 'em, go nuts.
    If men want to wear 'em, rock it, dude. Who am I to say otherwise?
    If men want to make women wear them; fuck off, you creepy-ass motherfucker.

    And trying to force women to not wear skirts (or hijab) is just as creepy-ass as the reverse. Let women wear whatever the fuck they want to.

    Ironically, same position that I expressed regarding "tradwifes"; that homemakers are fine, that society shouldn't require double income families, that there shouldn't be a gender-normative restriction on it, and that it should be up to any given individual to choose their path in life.
    All good things you say there. And the reason you had to say it is that there are too many people out there who think they have a right to tell how everyone else around them should live and dress, and whatever else functions come to their little minds.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    He pretty much cites Star Trek as evidence. I kid you not.
    His takes on Star Trek are phenomenally bad too as he doesn't understand Star Trek at all either.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •