Page 86 of 93 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only thing worse than Southgate about this England team is Kalvin Phillips.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure at this point he's treating this tournament like friendlies. Some of the selections and team lineups make little sense.

I don't think he even cares if we're relegated to group B.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Southgate has always been mediocre, stumbling your way to a euros final against lackluster teams doesn't change that. He shouldn't be fired based on 1 result but I think other teams are happy they can write off England for the next few tournaments as long as Southgate is in charge.

15+ Year Old Account
    To be fair the Nations League is a dumb tournament no one really cares about.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    Southgate has always been mediocre, stumbling your way to a euros final against lackluster teams doesn't change that. He shouldn't be fired based on 1 result but I think other teams are happy they can write off England for the next few tournaments as long as Southgate is in charge.
    I don't disagree that Southgate is average but is there any international team that has a truly outstanding manager?

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I don't disagree that Southgate is average but is there any international team that has a truly outstanding manager?
    In terms of world class they are rare but there's probably a solid 20-25 better managers coaching national teams who are getting more out of their players than Southgate is getting out of the England squad.

In terms of world class they are rare but there's probably a solid 20-25 better managers coaching national teams who are getting more out of their players than Southgate is getting out of the England squad.
    As I said I think Southgate is average and I think our performances in last two tournaments were more down to luck than Southgate's ability but I don't really see any standout manager, of the quality of Klopp, Guardiola, Ancelotti, etc, currently managing at international level.

That said if we play like we have in the last four games I don't any teams will fear playing us.

Germany? /10 Buchstaben

As I said I think Southgate is average and I think our performances in last two tournaments were more down to luck than Southgate's ability but I don't really see any standout manager, of the quality of Klopp, Guardiola, Ancelotti, etc, currently managing at international level.

That said if we play like we have in the last four games I don't any teams will fear playing us.
    I would say Luis Enrique, Roberto Mancini and Hansi Flick are probably the 3 standouts who could go to most top teams around Europe. But you got plenty of other second tier managers like Roberto Martinez who you could argue is a bit of a hack yet he's still twice the manager Southgate is. But even just yesterday you gotta look at that Hungary team and think "this manager is getting more out of this team than expected". Lots of managers like that who make their international teams play above their level.

I would say Luis Enrique, Roberto Mancini and Hansi Flick are probably the 3 standouts who could go to most top teams around Europe. But you got plenty of other second tier managers like Roberto Martinez who you could argue is a bit of a hack yet he's still twice the manager Southgate is. But even just yesterday you gotta look at that Hungary team and think "this manager is getting more out of this team than expected". Lots of managers like that who make their international teams play above their level.
    All three are good managers but the point I was trying to make is that at international level the pool of managers you have to choose from are apart from a few of exceptions for the most part mediocre.

I agree that the tactics employed last night were dire - tbh honest I don't want to take away from Hungary's performance but that was the worst England performance I think I have ever seen - but I am not sure that replacing Southgate at this time is the answer or that (given the managers who would take the job) there is a better alternative.

I think a big part of the problem is that the team and management have been content to rest on their laurels after the last two tournaments.

15+ Year Old Account
    Let's not forget LvG!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    To be fair the Nations League is a dumb tournament no one really cares about.
    Pretty much this. Its nothing else than training matches, you know, those that we had before Nations League. Seems alot of people have forgotten about that and think Nations League is a very important tournament. Its not.

In essence its UEFA sugarcoating national training matches cause they were blatantly boring. Same shit, different wrapping.

Besides, the players are knackered. Its only 2-3 weeks until they gotta return to clubs for pre-tour before season starts again late july.

My interest in international football is very low in general - like I'd rather watch a Euros/World Cup game than no football for a month but it's not really something I look forward to. These friendlies and qualifying games they shove into the season just feel so pointless though.

15+ Year Old Account
    International breaks during the season are the worst, but I do look forward to World Cups and Euros so I guess I shouldn't complain.

10+ Year Old Account
    We could be watching the actual world cup now, instead we get that shite.

Rashford has definitely been played with injuries and should have had surgery and rest earlier. With that said I think his off the pitch personality and all that has shielded him from criticism for some time. He's honestly been pretty dreadful for us for like 2 years now. Yeah other people have been terrible as well and I'm not really singling him out because I do like the fact we have one of our own academy graduates as our #10 playing for us and the national team. Still, if he doesn't get back on track to where he was a few years ago he shouldn't start under Ten Hag.
    In this case, he would have received much less money. You think about football, and he thinks about a career and earnings. Therefore, reality does not meet expectations.

5+ Year Old Account
    Sterling to Chelsea... are they selling Werner or something cause as far as I can see they both are extremely fast, agile players that have the tendency to miss absolute sitters

sterling doesnt make much sense gotta admit.

Sam Johnstone, Chris Richards, Cheick Doucoure, AWB, and Joe Aribo all getting palace links. Not much to get excited about really.

Lukaku what a flop he was. If Chelsea want to replace him with Sterling I won't even take them seriously next season. They would have Werner and English Werner up top missing sitters after sitters.