Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The TBC and WoD launches were worst.
    u talk about game technical problems, i talk about design of patch itself
    MoP has worst idea for launch, dailies mandatory for at least few weeks, and having crap raids didn't help it either
    WoD has the most successful launch even when ppl were unable to start Garrison because it spiked the most return of wow players, a problem that can be solved in few days
    TBC problem was first time ever all those ppl in same zone, again problem is NOT game design, wait few weeks and u can log safely
    MoP on other hand problem didn't start get fixed until next patch, with reduce dailies importance, increase reputation gained, give alts massive rep buff (they never repeated that), and so on, problems that need a patch to fix, not a technical server-side problem to fix unrelated to patch

So you are right that TBC has worst launch of technical lvl, but i'm talking about patch quality itself, not technical problem

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    ... What? The scenarios were great! From a content standpoint, it was incredibly refreshing: low pressure content you could queue for and complete with any combination of roles. And content wise, it told a lot of fun stories, like inventing new brews, infiltrating ancient treasure troves, or seeing other operations in the war (such as Varian fighting the Zandalari in the Eastern Kingdoms, or True Horde locating the heart of Y'shaarj).
    they aren't amazing but they aren't bad either
    however Theramore scenario specially is way underwhelming, too bad for a pre-patch event
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

There were plenty of problems. Off the top of my head XP was a huge issue and after much complaining they eventually slashed the XP requirements by like 30% at least two or three times. People were also not a fan of "scenarios", and it was in MoP that smart people like myself started noticing the direction of less deterministic rewards/more RNG when they started fucking with warforging, adding LFR without the matchmaking (flex now normal), placing the JP/VP vendors in China before completely phasing them out of the reward stuctures etc.

It had some good things though. Timeless isle was very well received, with Ordos being a very popular weekly loot pinata, the legendary cloaks were new and fun, many classes had a golden age in MoP (warlocks especially). Even pet battles was an elaborate new system that was very well received.

I think though what made people praise it so much was the contrast with WoD, which would've made any preceding expansion look good.

I always interpreted the subscription dropoff to be players who got brickwalled in the first few months of Cataclysm, came back, and realized they'd moved on from WoW.

My guild was a pretty good bellwether. We weren't quite at our former glory in numbers from Wrath but had enough to field 25 and went through all the trends: too many intro dailies, fun with farms, strong activity in the odd-patch zones. Got Ahead of the Curve every raid for the last time, although it was Mists when encounters began to get overly busy and really wore on me as raid leader. Siege smacked of leftovers, but Timeless Isle was really magical for everyone.

~50% of people were outraged becaues they thought pandss were really stupid, didn't fit the WoW universe, and saw it as pandering to China.
    ~50% of people said "WoW is already ridiculous, pandas won't bother me, i'll just ignore them, I don't care."
    ~0% of people said "YES PANDAS! This is awesome!"

Can't speak for anyone else, but I loved it. Gameplay, raids, dailies, the atmosphere, the music, everything was just so beautiful.
    It is the most I've ever played wow basically. I've played since EU day one and never loved wow like in Pandaria, and I will be right back in there when the classic version comes someday.
    Some people were (are) very vocal im their dislike of it however. Different tastes I figure.

All you have to do is to try to find the old Warcraft 3 forums and you will realize that all the bullshit stories about "pandaren received OVERWHELMING POSITIVE FEEDBACK" in Warcraft 3 are complete and utter bullshit, since there were barely any mentions of them.

Unfortunately they've nuked the old WoW forums, otherwise a search for the word pandaren would not have given you more than 20-30 threads max related to them from the release of pre-BC all the way to Cacaclysm. I know, since I spent my life on those forums all day long.

When Cacaclysm released the game started getting played by stupid fucking furries and gen-z who wanted to be different from everyone by pissing off everyone trying to convince them that NO REALLY PANDAREN ARE REALLY POPULAR GUYZ even though they had never even played the WC3 campaign.

All in all, from blizzard's standpoint, pandaland was made to attract chinese players, but even chinese players were like "wtf is this stereotypical bullshit and why does this race look so fucking lame".

Everything about it was a shitshow, and the main story which revolved around Garrosh could have easily been set in the EK around some other artifact of the Titans whatever / on another much more interesting and requested continent. Since Wrathion was there it could have you know...been set on the fucking Dragon Isles, but no, "everyone" wanted pandaren, of course.

So many people wanted pandaren that the expansion literally bled players every quarter from the day it released until it lost 30% of the playerbase.
    "Most requested race and zone" and "a great expansion" guys.

The people leaving Shadowlands now are just biased against death and spirits, really, and they're so childish for not being more open minded.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    ~50% of people were outraged becaues they thought pandss were really stupid, didn't fit the WoW universe, and saw it as pandering to China.
    ~50% of people said "WoW is already ridiculous, pandas won't bother me, i'll just ignore them, I don't care."
    ~0% of people said "YES PANDAS! This is awesome!"
    Didn't know that I constituted 0% of people.
    Perhaps on the grand scheme of the millions of players back then, I would be close to 0%, but I still was kinda hyped for Pandaren.

MoP is part of my top 3 expansion list for the game, and I'd say Lorewalker Cho and other pandaren characters throughout it helped with that decision.
    I really enjoyed the story and I felt it did the best job of all the expansions of trying to make a legitimate war between the factions.

Just a shame that Garrosh went a bit too hard on the deep end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Yeah, really.

Because there was WAY too much of "Pandas turned it into a kid's game" which was a ridiculous thing to say in a game with space goats and giant cows.

So yeah, really. I mean, c'mon. What could be more childish than pointing at the pandas and whining about them?
    Youre definitely right, daily questts on launch were pure cancer - it burns me hard and slowly kills my guild.
    But as you list describes there were a lot of good and cool things.

a lot of people had a negative knee-jerk reaction to "kung-fu pandas"

anyone who actually played MoP knows it was the golden era of WoW

which isn't to say it was perfect, but man did it do better than anything before or since

Quote Originally Posted by Arikara View Post

which isn't to say it was perfect, but man did it do better than anything before or since
    are you actually saying legion's systems and lore are worse than pandalalaland's?

jesus fucking christ

Quote Originally Posted by lolol2021 View Post
    are you actually saying legion's systems and lore are worse than pandalalaland's?

jesus fucking christ
    I kinda think they're the same bad take.
    Legion retconned a TON of lore.
    Suramar and the Nightborne should've been at the depths of the maelstrom by now.

We even recovered relics and artifacts from their sunken city. (in vanilla, you can see the Dwarves recovered an artifact from deepdiving there).
    Not to mention suddenly vrykul and moosemen suddenly popped out of nowhere aswell?

Bad retcon, very bad and shitty.

Quote Originally Posted by Arikara View Post

Well that's just your opinion man, if the golden era of WoW supposedly lost 4 million subscribers, 2 million of those already left before SoO even launched.

really besides people moaning about Pandarians it was one of the more well received expansions in terms of gameplay. I still am angry the timeless isle style of elite mobs that you can solo if you knew how to deal with them never really escaped it.

Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    I disliked it back then aswell... now i checke the video and i saw i liked it some years ago.

I disliked it cause Pandas, but since WoD my main is MW Monk Panda. Its the kind of dislike like "i dont know it, it doesnt look cool, safe its trash". But if u play a bit pandas and trying to judge "natural" about it they are pretty awesome. Lore, Art, Class, all was/is pretty good.

Best part about MoP was Class Designe. Monk, Shadow, Warrior, Pally, Shaman... all were awesome and fun, after that they got butchered more and more, and my beloved MW Monk is butchered up to date... maybe next expansion they fix it... if i believe enough it will happen... for sure.
    I was totally not interested in monks, no hate nor love, just no interes as far as i remember. As soon as I tried one on was it PTR or Beta (think beta) i was hooked like FK.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    This ends up being the thing for every single expansion sadly. There are always things that prevent you from realizing the good things we have at the time.
    no
    [QUOTE=Sondrelk;53281150]
    The horrible Legiondary RNG and artifact power grind prevented many from realizing how good Suramar was as a zone sized city.
    played whole Legion, was lucky AF with Legiondaries, at least on characters I cares- not so much on alts tho, but I didn't find whole whole Surumar all that amazing, probaly had more fun with farming apexis in WoD Oo dunno
    And then of course when the expansion ends you quickly forget the bad parts and only remember the good stuff, which leaves us with players convinced a given expansion was flawless when in reality it was treated just the same as current ones are now.
    nah, I would not say so, expansions should feel good all the way through not 5 years after when memory fades away and is replaced by nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    LOVED MoP, except for SoO at the end. The story, Pandarean, Monks, Zones, the PvP... it was all so great.
    Agreed. The SoO raid was one of my least favorites but I enjoyed every other aspect of it. I never had so much fun with Demonology in my life.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was fine we…got a new race and class which we cant say about the last two also the art was very creative i look back with good times on mop also who doesn’t like a farm sim >.<
    "Voted Most Likely To Be Banned From The Forum."

I always found it funny that WoW already had:

-drunken dwarves
    -silly, eccentric gnomes
    -elves
    -gay elves
    -cow people
    -jamacian trolls
    -brooklyn-accented goblins
    -werewolves
    -blue space goats

....but no, they draw the line at pandas. Pandas are "too cartoony", despite all the above things already existing ingame

fucking lmao

Also love all the whines about "kung fu panda" despite Chen Stormstout existing in Warcraft lore a whole 4 years before that movie came out.

It was not liked, that's why subs started going down with it. But it was just basically because kung fu Panda. People thought it was a joke.

Now, years after, people realized Pandaren were not such a bad thing, and if you pay attention to the story, questing, and art style, Pandaria is actually a quite likable place and you can see tons of love was put into that expansion.

But now it is too late to like it... maybe for a possible MoP Classic in a distant future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    From what I recall, MoP was the most disliked reveal trailer on their youtube channel because of Pandaren.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=nyeZ8khSEC0

I see that youtube hid the dislikes now but I rechecked last week and it had close up to 36k dislikes (!).

Not to mention that the new expansion barely brought in any new players or older players that quit during Cataclysm.
    https://imgur.com/a/5FGbBOY

You can see the dropout after the first few months was huge and t continued to drop down until the release of WoD which spiked up the subscriber numbers immensively. (Don't forget Warcraft movie came out at the same time).

Can we conclude that MoP wasn't that liked by the playerbase? Sure it was good compared to BfA and Shadowlands, but does it show that people are more interested in the "conservative" style of Warcraft; Orcs and Humans too?
    MoP is considered one of their best expansions in their last 17 years of work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    People always whine about the current content the most in WoW, for some reason. Then an expansion after that they start admitting it had good parts, and then an expansion after that it becomes "good old times" and sometimes achieves legendary status. Happened to basically every expansion so far, will probably happen to the current one as well. For MoP specifically, some of the raids are considered the best ever, and world content patches are also highly praised (timeless isle, thunder isle).

And no, MoP was not hated in general. Some idiots were shouting in the beginning about there being Pandas in it - mostly because some people always have sexual connotations with everything and think that if there are playable animals in the game it's supposed to fulfill some sexual fantasy. It's unfathomable to some that people might just want to play Panda or Vulpera for reasons other than sexual arousal.
    Yup...I have a Worgen and a Pandaren, plenty of people would call me a furry because of that. Just because I play those characters doesn't mean I want to strap on a suit (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Other thing is a lot of people loved to shout that MoP and Monk were a Kung Fu Panda ripoff, despite the Pandaren having been created well before that movie.