Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Nah, just the ones that question the regime even slightly.

So clearly according to you it's fine to abandon millions of people to fascism as long as they aren't "all" at risk of dying. Clownery.
    I wonder who is the clown here, calling everything that you do not like fascist or fascism, from 'your high moral ground'. You are clearly hilarious, kiddo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    I wonder who is the clown here, calling everything that you do not like fascist or fascism
    Are you seriously trying to dispute the fact that the modern PRC is an ethnonationalist police state? Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't help when you have MSM and big tech shilling for the CCP at every opportunity. YouTube has removed a bunch of channels or videos criticizing the CCP, which I'm pretty sure isn't a violation of their rules to criticize governments, but they think it's racist.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Because Hong Kong totes came under UK control for a few months and no one discovered that until it was too late. The UK decided Hong Kong wasn't worth it and sent them up the river to the Chinese.
    Because their legal control over the territory ended in 1997 per the Second Convention of Peking treaty, apparently, which was signed in 1898 and gave them 99 years of control.

Or should they have sent in the British military in 1997 and just annexed the city?

Are you seriously trying to dispute the fact that the PRC is an ethnonationalist police state? Lol.
    And so you call them "fascist" ? Quite a few country would check that box according to your definition.

10+ Year Old Account
    And so you call them "fascist" ? Quite a few country would check that box according to your definition.
    Congratulations, you seem to have finally grasped the fact that fascism didn't magically disappear in 1945 and is still a persistent problem worldwide.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    It doesn't help when you have MSM and big tech shilling for the CCP at every opportunity. YouTube has removed a bunch of channels or videos criticizing the CCP, which I'm pretty sure isn't a violation of their rules to criticize governments, but they think it's racist.
    No, most tech companies walk on eggshells around China because it's a massive market they want to maintain access to so they need to bend the knee to the government and its censors. They're in it for the money, no other real reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Because their legal control over the territory ended in 1997 per the Second Convention of Peking treaty, apparently, which was signed in 1898 and gave them 99 years of control.

Or should they have sent in the British military in 1997 and just annexed the city?
    You are right just like China they had no choice but to obey a treaty from almost a century ago. It's not like they could have done anything to shore up Hong Kong during an entire century.

Bruv, there's literal cultural genocide going on within China. Have you not heard of the Uyghurs? I mean, it's been in the news so often that I can even spell it without needing to double check/spellcheck, for petes sake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Britain and Hong Kong had every right to be angry at China.
    Should really try and defend British colonialism in Canada as vigorously as you defend it in China. The doublethink has never been so real

How would you propose UK should have done ? Give HK tanks to defend themselves ?
    Man you gotta lave these China bashing/smearing threads. There are only going to be more of them as the tables are turning. The more power West loses, the more it fumes

You are right just like China they had no choice but to obey a treaty from almost a century ago. It's not like they could have done anything to shore up Hong Kong during an entire century.
    So we went from, "THEY SOLD HONG KONG UP THE RIVER!" to "Well they were obligated by the treaty you just told me about...but they should have done more before that!"

Like what? I'm not super familiar with that century of Hong Kong history, so maybe you can share some links to help me inform myself and support your position.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Should really try and defend British colonialism in Canada as vigorously as you defend it in China.
    Because as we all know criticising the UK for insufficiently guaranteeing HK's independence is literally the same thing as ethnic cleansing through a residential school system. /s

Any more shitty comparisons? Maybe some Whataboutism?

So we went from, "THEY SOLD HONG KONG UP THE RIVER!" to "Well they were obligated by the treaty you just told me about...but they should have done more before that!"

Like what? I'm not super familiar with that century of Hong Kong history, so maybe you can share some links to help me inform myself and support your position.
    That was obvious sarcasm I didn't think I needed to put an /s for you to get it. The British do not have the best track record when it comes to observing treaties. The situation with Hong Kong is because the UK decided they weren't worth the trouble.

That was obvious sarcasm I didn't think I needed to put an /s for you to get it. The British do not have the best track record when it comes to observing treaties. The situation with Hong Kong is because the UK decided they weren't worth the trouble of going either direction.
    you seem to be insinuating the China is a passive player by putting it on the UK. Its not like they are currently finishing the pacification of hong kong as we speak....

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    you seem to be insinuating the China is a passive player by putting it on the UK. Its not like they are currently finishing the pacification of hong kong as we speak....
    They had 100 years to do something definite with Hong Kong, China was not a strong player in 1898.

They had 100 years to do something definite with Hong Kong, China was not a strong player 100 years ago.
    whats your point? China didnt have to take hong kong, didnt have to crack down on the protests brutally, didnt have to get rid of all political dissent. They chose to as part of their imperial project. The same reason they are purging Xinjiang.

Next move Taiwan.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    whats your point? China didnt have to take hong kong, didnt have to crack down on the protests brutally, didnt have to get rid of all political dissent. They chose to as part of their imperial project. The same reason they are purging Xinjiang.

Next move Taiwan.
    Taiwan would be an invasion that's different than being handed over in a silver plater by the UK. Again proof of the UK not giving a shit and not doing anything substantial about China breaking the deal.

They had 100 years to do something definite with Hong Kong, China was not a strong player in 1898.
    Again, what should Britain have done differently, then? What could they have done? Why is it their fault and not the fault of like, literally China?

Bruv, there's literal cultural genocide going on within China. Have you not heard of the Uyghurs? I mean, it's been in the news so often that I can even spell it without needing to double check/spellcheck, for petes sake.
    So you can call fascist or fascism everything you want ? I mean, at one point, every country did commit a genocide, so every country is fascist then ?

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations, you seem to have finally grasped the fact that fascism didn't magically disappear in 1945 and is still a persistent problem worldwide.
    Or that your definition of fascism is extremely broad which allows you to call everything you do not like fascist (which is stupid, but we are used to it from you).

10+ Year Old Account
    Or that your definition of fascism is extremely broad
    You'll have to take that up with Umberto Eco then.