Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Err the UK gave Hong Kong to China they didn't take it by force...
    bruh you following the HK news cycle or what?

Err the UK gave Hong Kong to China they didn't take it by force...
    China had an agreement with Britain that Hong Kong would remain Autonomous and have a Separate System for 50 years.

They did take over Hong Kong by force.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2021-07-13 at 05:18 PM.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    China Promised Hong Kong would remain Autonomous and have a Separate System for 50 years.

They did take over Hong Kong by force.
    And the UK decided to believe it because they wanted to get rid of it, they never gave the people of Hong Kong the means to either be independent or an fully integrated region of the UK. The situation in Hong Kong is the result of the UK's bad decisions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    bruh you following the HK news cycle or what?
    How does that change the history of what happened?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanoDruid View Post
    Yep, peaceful protesters blowing up buildings, cars, murdering innocent people. Way to go west for supporting them!
    I mean it's only fair since the west supports "peaceful protest" of this kind at home too

And the UK decided to believe it because they wanted to get rid of it, they never gave the people of Hong Kong the means to either be independent or an fully integrated region of the UK. The situation in Hong Kong is the result of the UK's bad decisions.
    They never gave them the means to be independent but they clearly had an Agreement that Hong Kong was to remain Autonomous for 50 years.

China lied about "One Country, Two Systems" policy. Britain and Hong Kong had every right to be angry at China.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

They never gave them the means to be independent but they clearly had an Agreement that Hong Kong was to remain Autonomous for 50 years.

China lied about "One Country, Two Systems" policy. Britain and Hong Kong had every right to be angry at China.
    ROFLMAO, are you kidding me? is the UK run by 2 year olds? do you really think they believed an authoritarian regime? also the UK has done jack shit about them violating this agreement shows you how serious they are about Hong Kong.

ROFLMAO, are you kidding me? is the UK run by 2 year olds? do you really think they believed an authoritarian regime? also the UK has done jack shit about them violating this agreement shows you how serious they are about Hong Kong.
    Wrong.
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...stralia-canada

How would you propose UK should have done ? Give HK tanks to defend themselves ?

Ou that showed them some strong finger wagging.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    How would you propose UK should have done ? Give HK tanks to defend themselves ?
    No. Given them nukes with a mandatory second-strike only policy similar to India.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

What they should have done a long time ago either fully integrate HK as part of the UK or yes set them up with their own defense force and make them part of the NATO or some other alliance. You make it sound as if they had no options all these years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanoDruid View Post
    Yep, peaceful protesters blowing up buildings, cars, murdering innocent people. Way to go west for supporting them!
    Similarly to how the riots in the US would stop if they actually stopped police brutality, the riots in Xinjiang would stop if China actually stopped ethnically cleansing non-Han people.

We saw this exact sort of shit in interwar Germany and Japan, and everyone should be well aware of where it leads.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

What they should have done a long time ago either fully integrate HK as part of the UK or yes set them up with their own defense force and make them part of the NATO or some other alliance. You make it sound as if they had no options all these years.
    I mean in reality, what could they have done ? Integrate them to NATO ? So half the world is pulled into a war for a city on the other side of the world ?

I mean in reality, what could they have done ? Integrate them to NATO ? So half the world is pulled into a war for a city on the other side of the world ?
    The same thing they did with Israel...

The same thing they did with Israel...
    Israel is a country surrounded by countries that want to destroy it. I'd say it is rather different.

What they should have done a long time ago either fully integrate HK as part of the UK or yes set them up with their own defense force and make them part of the NATO or some other alliance.
    Yes, because having an armed, heavily fortified city literally inside China, "operated and controlled by western powers" would totally not be met with extreme hostility by China. It totes wouldn't be a powder keg waiting for just one person to do one dumb thing. Totes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Israel is a country surrounded by countries that want to destroy it. I'd say it is rather different.
    As opposed to being surrounded by a country that wants to annex you and turn you into a carbon copy of itself.

Totally different.

It's a similar situation and there would be no natives to steal land from this time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yes, because having an armed, heavily fortified city literally inside China, "operated and controlled by western powers" would totally not be met with extreme hostility by China. It totes wouldn't be a powder keg waiting for just one person to do one dumb thing. Totes.
    Because Hong Kong totes came under UK control for a few months and no one discovered that until it was too late. The UK decided Hong Kong wasn't worth it and sent them up the river to the Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    As opposed to being surrounded by a country that wants to annex you and turn you into a carbon copy of itself.

Totally different.
    As far as I know, China does not want to kill every last HK citizens. So yes totally different

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as I know, China does not want to kill every last HK citizens.
    Nah, just the ones that question the regime even slightly.

So clearly according to you it's fine to abandon millions of people to fascism as long as they aren't "all" at risk of dying. Clownery.