Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Moderator Crissi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    31,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Difficult. The point of legislation like this isn't banning abortion, it's rendering inaccessible to anyone but the wealthy.

    Every state with abortion restrictions of this sort is invariably being run by Republicans who have wives or daughters who've "gone to go live with grandma for a month" a few times in their lives.
    Time to sue the politicians for facilitating for their daughters then, since this law does include ability to sue ANYONE that helps facilitate one, and the facilitation definition is so broad it can include something as simple as providing advise. Also sue any person close to the politician that the politician mightn concievably use to help out their kid / wife
    Last edited by Crissi; 2021-07-15 at 10:43 PM.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    At this point, I’d be happy to just give Texas what they want and let them secede from the U.S.
    Brilliant take from you as always.

  3. #23
    Pit Lord D Luniz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Coastal Plaguelands
    Posts
    2,453
    and how would you prove that they were pregnant in the first place to claim they had the abortion?
    None of the people bringing suit can violate HIPPA to have actual records, so they would just have claims that weren't made in any official way saying that woman was pregnant.
    So can anything keep the accused from just claiming "I was getting fat and didn't want to admit it, and now this random person has me in court, causing me mental angish, Id like to countersue."
    @cubby, could that work?
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

  4. #24
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,947
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    and how would you prove that they were pregnant in the first place to claim they had the abortion?
    None of the people bringing suit can violate HIPPA to have actual records, so they would just have claims that weren't made in any official way saying that woman was pregnant.
    So can anything keep the accused from just claiming "I was getting fat and didn't want to admit it, and now this random person has me in court, causing me mental angish, Id like to countersue."
    @cubby, could that work?
    That is one of many tactics against this "law". Your point about HIPPA is really on point. The other big ticket item is standing - any suit brought by an individual won't have standing because there is no harm to the person suing.

    And the ACLU will be all over covering the first of these suits to come from the "1984 Texas Orwellian" law.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    That is one of many tactics against this "law". Your point about HIPPA is really on point. The other big ticket item is standing - any suit brought by an individual won't have standing because there is no harm to the person suing.

    And the ACLU will be all over covering the first of these suits to come from the "1984 Texas Orwellian" law.
    Question, does this law change they are trying to apply only apply to abortion Clinics? How broad is it's scope?
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

  6. #26
    The Insane Masark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    17,632
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    reason #1365 why I will never be caught dead in Texas.
    Unfortunately, they seem likely to come to you, and likely equipped to pull a Roeder.

    Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Unfortunately, they seem likely to come to you, and likely equipped to pull a Roeder.
    yeah, really makes me uncomfortable how the next 20+ years our court system is going to be run by a bunch of Trump appointed lunatics. really bleak stuff.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Question, does this law change they are trying to apply only apply to abortion Clinics? How broad is it's scope?
    In a lawful democratic society, no because these Orwellian tactics would be shot down by any honest judge all the way to the Supreme Court. Sadly McConnell was allowed to bull rush hundreds, I believe, of Federal judges many hand picked by hard right conservative groups and three Supreme Court justices while America waits with baited breath for the first anti abortion law challenge to hit their court.

  9. #29
    Banned Ihavewaffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    The spice must flow!
    Posts
    3,115
    Late term abortion should be outright banned, its literally murdering babies, and in medieval fashion...

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Late term abortion should be outright banned, its literally murdering babies, and in medieval fashion...
    Yet even more bs, Late Term abortions are not "Late", and most Abortions are not "late", they get a "late term" abortion when it poses a threat to their life or when they're unable to access abortion clinics earlier because of idiotic religious zealots.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2021-07-16 at 09:06 AM.
    Americans are the Chinese of the west. The main reason people tolerate them is because they are too big to ignore.

    "Admit nothing, deny everything, launch counterattack." - Roger Stone (Trump's Friend, Ally, and Campaign Advisor)

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Yet even more bs, Late Term abortions are not "Late", and most Abortions are not "late", they get a "late term" abortion when it poses a threat to their life or when they're unable to access abortion clinics earlier because of idiotic religious zealots.
    At how many weeks or months can we call it "late term" ? 10-15 ? Even more ?

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Specialka View Post
    At how many weeks or months can we call it "late term" ? 10-15 ? Even more ?
    On or after 21 weeks is "late."

    Only 1.3% of abortions are done on or after 21 weeks, it's very uncommon.

    Last edited by szechuan; 2021-07-16 at 09:20 AM.
    Americans are the Chinese of the west. The main reason people tolerate them is because they are too big to ignore.

    "Admit nothing, deny everything, launch counterattack." - Roger Stone (Trump's Friend, Ally, and Campaign Advisor)

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Late term abortion should be outright banned, its literally murdering babies, and in medieval fashion...
    No one does late term abortion willy nilly.

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  14. #34
    Ok, so I just read through the text of the bill.

    So my takeaway is that the legislature knows the act is unenforceable and unconstitutional they put the civil enforcement clause in so as to frustrate the process of it being struck out?
    You know I'm sorry America but this is getting dumb, intentionally passing acts you know to be unviable should be a crime, the same as wasting public monies on political stunts like this.

    Also, there's a hilarious section that says the defendant can never recover costs even if they win the case.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

  15. #35
    Moderator Rozz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6,987
    Abortions are a forbidden topic. I know not everyone remembers that, but keep it in mind.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •