Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    If it were serious it would be called "mechanic" or something like that. Tinkering is just a belitteling term for that. It's just... cute. Sorry, I did not invent the word, but you can't change that it sounds not very serious

- - - Updated - - -

I legit had to laugh reading this
    What does this say?

Source: Wowpedia

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    A mechanic doesn't invent stuff, it mostly fixes it.
    You could say they can be called Engineers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except in Warcraft lore, Goblin or Gnome Tinker is synonymous with inventor. Hence why the Gnome base city is called "Tinkertown" and "New Tinkertown", and the leader of the Gnomes is called the high Tinker. The Goblin metropolis of Undermine has a Tinker's Union which is full of inventors and scientists.

The point is, we really shouldn't use real world terms to define terms in a fantasy game. Some apply, some don't apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    What does this say?

Well yes, obviously the gnomes are called tinkers. Nobody in their right mind would take a gnome seriously; they are the cutesy race of the Alliance.
    And while every other race would do real engineering (like dwarfs do), the gnomes just tinker around.
    Like it or not, tinkering is not a professional activity. That's why only gnomes call themselves tinkers, while every respectable race has another name for the activity.

Well yes, obviously the gnomes are called tinkers. Nobody in their right mind would take a gnome seriously; they are the cutesy race of the Alliance.
    And while every other race would do real engineering (like dwarfs do), the gnomes just tinker around.
    Like it or not, tinkering is not a professional activity. That's why only gnomes call themselves tinkers, while every respectable race has another name for the activity.
    What the hell are you talking about? Gnomes are the most proficient Engineering race. All the others are just amateurs. They have produced most, if not all, of the Alliance technology you see. Hell, Mekkatorque fights in a mech suit. Would you call that cutesy?

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    You people have been talking about this "tinker" class for like 8+ years now

give it a rest, it's not happening
    Just how Monks and Demon Hunters would never be a thing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    And neither do barbarian, necromancer, dark ranger, or the other classes i listed exist in the classes you named. not at all.

In fact, engineering IS closer to tinkerer than warrior is barbarian, or dk to necromancer.

Look, i know you've been the biggest supporter of tinker class on this site since the beginning and i can respect that, but respectfully, you are wrong here my dude. Both about the classes i listed, and the demand for tinker. Tinker would be dead last on any wow poll if you compared it to necromancer, barbarian, dark ranger, chrono mage, healing mage, etc..

anyways, have a good weekend my dude. we'll agree to disagree
    polls on this site alone disagree with you haha

tinker is one of the if not THE most sought after new class

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    Just how Monks and Demon Hunters would never be a thing

- - - Updated - - -

polls on this site alone disagree with you haha

tinker is one of the if not THE most sought after new class
    This site is obviously not a reflection of the wow community as a whole. Put that poll on wow general forums, and tinkerer comes in last.

We got people here who would absolutely create account after account just to skew that vote here. Tinker fanatics who aren't above voting 500x in their own poll

This site is obviously not a reflection of the wow community as a whole. Put that poll on wow general forums, and tinkerer comes in last.

We got people here who would absolutely create account after account just to skew that vote here. Tinker fanatics who aren't above voting 500x in their own poll
    As someone who is not interested in Tinkers, I would love to see those.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Why was i picturing a tap dance reading this reply?

He doesn't even read. Goblins are Tinkers too. Gnomes and Goblins are part of WoW. You personally wanting your head canon to apply doesn't change that.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't think you can make polls on the official forums.
    But, he showed you evidence for his claims. It's on you to provide evidence for your claims.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Every thread about a proposed class doesn't need to become a versus-type thread where people debate about which classes should or shouldn't be added. Let's discuss the possibility of this connection without arguing over favorite presumptive classes.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Why was i picturing a tap dance reading this reply?

He doesn't even read. Goblins are Tinkers too. Gnomes and Goblins are part of WoW. You personally wanting your head canon to apply doesn't change that.
    I'm not at all arguing against you or Tinkers in general. If you read my initial comment you would know.

I'm just saying, that "Tinker" as a class name would not hold up, if the class was supposed to be introduced by the Titans.
    In the game we see gnomes and goblins as tinkers. Most, if not all of their work can be boiled down to "I just try shit and see if it works". Especially Goblins do that, but all engineering/tinkering as a whole in WoW is definitly not depicted as a professional craft, but defined by its failure rate.
    Tinkering in WoW is pretty chaotic (which is probably due to the comedic nature of many WoW quests involving gnomes and goblins).

But the Titans are the opposite of chaos. Their domain is order, structure, careful planning, accounting for all eventualities. None of this applies to the tinkers of WoW. That's why imo a class that derives its existance from Titan influence can't be called "Tinker". It can have the same gameplay as a supposed tinker class, but would have other visuals and another background.

1. Yes this site is a reflection of the WoW Community. It’s called MMO-Champion, and it started as a fan site for WoW, and still is a fan site for WoW, even though it now also hosts forums for other games as well. Poll results on both forums would be near identical.

2. No they wouldn’t, because that’s stupid and pointless. No one cares that much about a poll that’s meaningless.

Zovaal is a being of Death, not Order.
    Says... who? We don't know his complete background. He could have used Death as a tool, but in reality he's about Order etc.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

I'm not at all arguing against you or Tinkers in general. If you read my initial comment you would know.

I'm just saying, that "Tinker" as a class name would not hold up, if the class was supposed to be introduced by the Titans.
    In the game we see gnomes and goblins as tinkers. Most, if not all of their work can be boiled down to "I just try shit and see if it works". Especially Goblins do that, but all engineering/tinkering as a whole in WoW is definitly not depicted as a professional craft, but defined by its failure rate.
    Tinkering in WoW is pretty chaotic (which is probably due to the comedic nature of many WoW quests involving gnomes and goblins).

But the Titans are the opposite of chaos. Their domain is order, structure, careful planning, accounting for all eventualities. None of this applies to the tinkers of WoW. That's why imo a class that derives its existance from Titan influence can't be called "Tinker". It can have the same gameplay as a supposed tinker class, but would have other visuals and another background.
    I mean... Titan stuff breaks down all the time too.

But, i can agree that Titan stuff is not needed to bring Tinkers in. It's very easy to find an excuse. It just takes the will. They have always existed in-game afterall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Back to the point of this thread; There's a few ways you can bring in a technology class and have it connected to or based on the Titans;

1. An Undermine expansion. Essentially an expansion where Gallywix attempts to, or takes over Undermine and uses its vast Azerite deposits and the power of the Goblin cartels and the Tinker Union to launch a mechanized army on the entire world. This is a possibility since Gallywix is currently MIA, so we have no idea what he's doing. Azerite is connected to the Titans and supposedly Kezan/Undermine is loaded with it, and it enhances the power of machines. All you really need for this to work is create another character like Helix Blackfuse who can invent crazy machines, bring Undermine in as a continent like it was intended back in Vanilla, and you have the making of a pretty solid expansion. IMO, it would be akin to MoP 2.0, and could be what the community is looking for since people are becoming a little bored with all the cosmic stuff. I would also incorporate Gadgetzhan as a city state that covers all of Tanaris like in Hearthstone.

Class type: Goblin/Gnome centric Tinker class.

2. A Lightbound Expansion An expansion where Yrel's Lightbound army invades Azeroth, causing a split in the Alliance, and a war where we have to face Naaru technology. This could be the impetus to bring in a technology class to counter the technological threat posed by the Lightbound. In this case, instead of Goblin/Gnome centric tech, you have all the races pooling their technology together to form a new tech-based class. The only downside to this one is that I have no idea where the expansion would actually take place. It could be a situation where Yrel's army actually takes the Eastern Kingdoms, and we start the expansion in a phased version of those zones. Titan tech would come into play as a way to counter Naaru technology. I could see a scenario where Gnomes, Dwarves, Draenei, and Goblins come together and figure out a way to reverse engineer titan tech into new weaponry.

Class type: Multi-racial technology class. More than likely called Machinist, Mechanic, Technician, etc.

3. The Blingtron War Expansion This one here is a long shot, and I think it's more likely to be a patch if its ever explored at all. However, there is a mechanical war on both Draenor and Azeroth being waged against Blingtrons by a mechanical threat. Blizzard could expand this into a larger threat that requires the Alliance and the Horde to deal with. Again, the problem I see with this is that there's no "place" where this could be set, and I don't think there's enough meat there to make into a full blown expansion. The mechanical antagonist could somehow infiltrate a Titan facility and become a much more serious threat, but again, that's a rather huge stretch. So like I said, I see this more as a patch theme if it ever gets covered at all.

Class type: Some technology class to deal with a mechanized army.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2021-07-18 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    I mean... Titan stuff breaks down all the time too.
    Does it, though? Care to give an example of titan stuff breaking on it's own?

But, i can agree that Titan stuff is not needed to bring Tinkers in. It's very easy to find an excuse. It just takes the will. They have always existed in-game afterall.
    That's not the point of the discussion here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Says... who? We don't know his complete background. He could have used Death as a tool, but in reality he's about Order etc.
    Pretty sure they are called the Pantheon of Death.

That's why imo a class that derives its existance from Titan influence can't be called "Tinker". It can have the same gameplay as a supposed tinker class, but would have other visuals and another background.
    Look at the OP.
    It never says Titan-derived Tinker class. But, a Tinker class in a titanic expansion.

M.O.T.H.E.R, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    What does this say?

"Tinkers (or tinkerers and tinkologists) are engineers mostly represented by gnomes, goblins, and dwarves of the Alliance, Horde and the Venture Company."

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Tinker

Tinkers are engineers confirmed.

It doesn't, necessarily, have to be about time:
    it was said by BRONZE dragon...

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    it was said by BRONZE dragon...
    And...?

It's still has other meanings.

And...?

It's still has other meanings.
    occam's razor, if something was compared to "clockwork" by TIME DRAGON its 99.999999999999% to be about time and hours not about technological stuff, which dragons use none of...
    i know if you use the clear and simple answer it doesnt support your narative, but inventing reasons why something completely obvious is not true makes you look foolish...

That's not the point of the discussion here.
    Chamber of azeroth? Uldir? Ulduar? Every Ul basically. Mother? Everything breaks. xD