Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Nobody but a small fraction of geeks buys hardware because of the specs sheet being neat alone.
    I took that personally.
    Beware the indigenous, crippled libertarian!
    Thanks for the ad-hominem, it supports your inability to support your argument.

  2. #42
    I would like it better than a switch depending on what games it would run well.

  3. #43
    Is it true the you can install Windows OS and basically you can play anything that you can play in a Pc? Steam, XBOS game pass, Origin, Battlenet, emulators???

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by KainneAbsolute View Post
    Is it true the you can install Windows OS and basically you can play anything that you can play in a Pc? Steam, XBOS game pass, Origin, Battlenet, emulators???
    It's basically a PC, so you can do whatever you would normally do with a PC. The only real constraint I can think of about installing Windows is that there may not be drivers available for the specialty parts. I'm reasonably sure that wouldn't be an impediment for too long though.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Nobody but a small fraction of geeks buys hardware because of the specs sheet being neat alone. Handheld consoles lives and dies by the software side of it when everyone has a phone on them.

    The 3DS ate the Vita for breakfast despite having vastly inferior hardware, and the same thing is going to happen here with the Switch and it's eventual successor because of the software side of things. Valve do not have anywhere near as strong of an exclusive software output as Nintendo does, and even then anything they release for it they'll have to convince those people to spend money to play it on this instead of just staying on their PCs.
    True and unlike Nintendo Valve doesn't really have that much of a game development team left so the amount of playable games are probably good enough for the first year or two.
    Problem is that in terms of hardware I have my honest doubts if this device will run any future new game with a proper 30 fps (let alone 60) and unlike Nintendo the Valve kind of killed off there first party development team. Potentially you have a Million + games you can run but all that is irrelevant if you can't buy and play new games

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I would like it better than a switch depending on what games it would run well.
    Meh you are kind of competing with the consoles (XBox and PS) instead of with the Switch.
    3e party on the Switch never really took off and most of us play Switch exclusives so the games that you will see on the valve device will also be available on the consoles + pc. Now your competing in terms of user experience with devices where the games are build for in mind.

  6. #46
    Fluffy Kitten Nerph-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Belgium, EU
    Posts
    7,259
    Personally not my jam, I don't own a switch either but if I was ever going to get a handheld console, I'd probably go for the Switch basically for their games. I can somewhat see the appeal of this, but meh, I can access my steam library on pretty much all my devices already, this thing would be useless to me.

  7. #47
    I am sorry, but wut?!?



    Look at that thing. LOOK AT IT.

    What kind of freakish mutant did they have play test that thing to come to the conclusion that that is going to be comfortable to hold for extended periods of time? All the controls and buttons all mashed super tightly into the very top quarter of the thing just looks like it would be incredibly uncomfortable to use.

  8. #48
    If Valve is going to convert the dollars directly to euros then even he mid range is already cheaper than the Switch OLED (€399 = $471)

    Either way I like it. There's lots of game on Steam that are best played with a joypad that I'm currently don't play because I don't like sitting with one in front of my pc.

    At the same time Nintendo still isn't porting their Gamecube collection to the Switch which would've been the core reason for me to buy it.
    Last edited by Ivarr; 2021-07-16 at 07:57 AM.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by druchii5 View Post
    This looks cool for sure. I wonder how well it will handle MMOs available on Steam like ESO and SWTOR.
    This is what I want to know. I play a good deal of SWTOR and I'd sure love to play it from my couch rather than sitting at my computer.
    Shut your goddamn mouth, Gene!

  10. #50
    Fluffy Kitten Nerph-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Belgium, EU
    Posts
    7,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    If Valve is going to convert the dollars directly to euros then even he mid range is already cheaper than the Switch OLED (€399 = $471)

    Either way I like it. There's lots of game on Steam that are best played with a joypad that I'm currently don't play because I don't like sitting with one in front of my pc.

    At the same time Nintendo still isn't porting their Gamecube collection to the Switch which would've been the core reason for me to buy it.
    Might be me but your first sentence has confused me. Here in Belgium the Switch OLED is €349. The cheapest Steam Deck is €419. I guess I've misunderstood you though?

  11. #51
    While it looks good... idk

    The price is quite steep for a handheld to play games i can allready play on PC and on my TV. Will sell out immediatly i am sure of it but still... i don't see this getting the tracktion of something like a gameboy or anything.

    Also i don't think this has ANY competition with nintendo. Nintendo has its own costumers. It is not in the same group as PC, PS, XBOX imho.
    Not because it is better or anything. Just different. Self contained.

    Edit: Did you see the reservation system? Good by scalpers for this^^ 4€ more to pay. But for a saystem that is a few hundred € that does not matter that much^^

  12. #52
    Valve is missing a trick here. They should just prioritise preorders based on hours played in the steam library. That way scalpers can't do anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Might be me but your first sentence has confused me. Here in Belgium the Switch OLED is €349. The cheapest Steam Deck is €419. I guess I've misunderstood you though?
    That's already lucky as I'm only seeing preorders for €399. A €349 Switch would be $412.

    The only point I'm making here is that we never get a straight conversion from dollar to euro. Maybe it's import duty or something but Europeans always seem to be getting shafted.
    Last edited by Ivarr; 2021-07-16 at 08:29 AM.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    It's basically a PC, so you can do whatever you would normally do with a PC. The only real constraint I can think of about installing Windows is that there may not be drivers available for the specialty parts. I'm reasonably sure that wouldn't be an impediment for too long though.
    And you would have to buy another windows license too. I wonder how much HDD space would windows take then?
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

    I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

  14. #54
    Fluffy Kitten Nerph-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Belgium, EU
    Posts
    7,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    Valve is missing a trick here. They should just prioritise preorders based on hours played in the steam library. That way scalpers can't do anything.



    That's already lucky as I'm only seeing preorders for €399. A €349 Switch would be $412.

    The only point I'm making here is that we never get a straight conversion from dollar to euro. Maybe it's import duty or something but Europeans always seem to be getting shafted.
    Ah I understand now, guess I need my morning coffee still

  15. #55
    The Unstoppable Force Puupi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    22,959
    That looks like a handheld device I could actually even consider buying!
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

  16. #56
    It looks neat but I don't understand why I would want to buy one. Niche market? Or maybe I'm the niche player.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

  17. #57
    Elemental Lord Kithelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somewhere where canon still exists
    Posts
    8,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    "Competitor for the Switch"? Not really. People could already connect their PC to their TVs (via a cable or streaming) and play their games on the big screen if they wanted. If they wanted to play on the go then they could stream their PC to their phone. And most people who buy the Switch aren't buying for the dual functionality; they're buying for access to the current library of Nintendo games (Switch emulators require huge processing power to run at a decent framerate, which means even more expensive hardware... which is conspicuously scarce ATM).

    This will just be another Steam Box: a highly niche product that will sell to the people who actively seek it out, but it's not going to seriously threaten the Switch.
    Good luck with that I guess?

    Nintendo has pretty much ever been the only company to be truly successful in mobile gaming...Sega tried and even when they had color before Nintendo the game gear never went very far. Sony has tried twice and neither the Vita or PSP went really far.

    Only other success in mobile gaming has been smartphones, and you kinda need a phone anyways...where as this is just for gaming alone.
    #WithoutRespectWeReject

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    And you would have to buy another windows license too. I wonder how much HDD space would windows take then?
    It would take as much HD space as a typical Windows install. I believe you need 32GB to install Windows 10, though you could reclaim some of that after the fact. I don't think it's a terribly feasible idea to install Windows 10 on the base 64GB model of the device. Though to be fair, I wouldn't want to and personally wouldn't touch the base model with a ten foot pole.
    Last edited by jellmoo; 2021-07-16 at 11:36 AM.

  19. #59
    sometimes, during travels, I missed a laptop that I could play some games on. No big AAA stuff, rather things like Factorio, Oxygen Not Included, Transport Tycoon or some idle games. So the base version would be both strong enough, and HD big enough to handle those. But then I don't know if I would like to play those on a handheld, and the price tag seems too high for such scarce use.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

    I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    True and unlike Nintendo Valve doesn't really have that much of a game development team left so the amount of playable games are probably good enough for the first year or two.
    Problem is that in terms of hardware I have my honest doubts if this device will run any future new game with a proper 30 fps (let alone 60) and unlike Nintendo the Valve kind of killed off there first party development team. Potentially you have a Million + games you can run but all that is irrelevant if you can't buy and play new games

    - - - Updated - - -



    Meh you are kind of competing with the consoles (XBox and PS) instead of with the Switch.
    3e party on the Switch never really took off and most of us play Switch exclusives so the games that you will see on the valve device will also be available on the consoles + pc. Now your competing in terms of user experience with devices where the games are build for in mind.
    I can play all of my steam library on it, I would be really happy with it. Ill probably never get it though. I never go anywhere. I don't need portables much. It will probably be too expensive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •