Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    are you seriously saying that the ratchet and clank game looks and performs better than anything you can possibly play on any PC? and im the one who doesnt know what im talking about. the new consoles, like always, still dont even belong in the same conversation as top end gaming PCs when it comes to visuals and performance. and compression by its very definition IS a performance hit. its literally impossible for it not to be, unless they managed to break physics.
    Example B of not knowing what you're talking about.

"There isn't even anything like Rift Apart currently available on PC tech wise" has nothing to do with raw visuals and instead the data streaming tech on display that can literally change entire levels with the press of a button and no load screen at all. You know, what we're talking about here, data being uncompressed and streamed into the game.

If you really think that texture being compressed in the game files is going to make it look worse on your screen you are completely lost. The tech literally decompresses it before you see it. That is the point of it. Holy cow batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Example B of not knowing what you're talking about.

"There isn't even anything like Rift Apart currently available on PC tech wise" has nothing to do with raw visuals and instead the data streaming tech on display that can literally change entire levels with the press of a button and no load screen at all. You know, what we're talking about here, data being uncompressed and streamed into the game.

If you really think that texture being compressed in the game files is going to make it look worse on your screen you are completely lost. The tech literally decompresses it before you see it. That is the point of it. Holy cow batman.
    yes, and that compression causes a performance hit. im not sure why you think load-free portals to other areas is some sort of revolutionary tech that has never been done before PS5. youve been drinking way too much sony koolaid if you are somehow convinced that your chincey 500 dollar console can you anything a modern pc cant do 4x better.

yes, and that compression causes a performance hit.
    Expect it doesn't....

There is no game on PC or other consoles that pulls the loading performance that Rift Apart does at the quality of detail it delivers or higher. This isn't a opinion its a known fact.

The core reason dev's are praising the PS5 is because they can finally start to push into less to no load times (at higher graphic fidelity) because of its state of the art M.2 SSD. 99.9% of games are still limited by the speed's of HD's (and the majority of PC's still use them greatly). Developers who take full advantage of the M.2ssd that is in the PS5 can make it do things that no other platform has been able to do.

With HD's you need tons of copies of assists so the game can pull from them. With SSD's you don't and Rift Apart is the first time a game has been able to take full advantage of this. That is also a core reason why a Rift Apart is only 30GB and yet looks like a Pixar movie in motion.

But hey don't take my world for it by all means do a quick google search and see the developers talk about it themselves. You know the guys who know more about this topic than me or you.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Expect it doesn't....

There is no game on PC or other consoles that pulls the loading performance that Rift Apart does at the quality of detail it delivers or higher. This isn't a opinion its a known fact.

The core reason dev's are praising the PS5 is because they can finally start to push into less to no load times (at higher graphic fidelity) because of its state of the art M.2 SSD. 99.9% of games are still limited by the speed's of HD's (and the majority of PC's still use them greatly). Developers who take full advantage of the M.2ssd that is in the PS5 can make it do things that no other platform has been able to do.

With HD's you need tons of copies of assists so the game can pull from them. With SSD's you don't and Rift Apart is the first time a game has been able to take full advantage of this. That is also a core reason why a Rift Apart is only 30GB and yet looks like a Pixar movie in motion.

But hey don't take my world for it by all means do a quick google search and see the developers talk about it themselves. You know the guys who know more about this topic than me or you.
    tell me more about how only PS5 can use m.2 SSDs. lol. again. any modern gaming pc can do that. sure, they would have to set a fast SSD as a minimum requirement for the game, but its nothing a PC cant do faster and better.

tell me more about how only PS5 can use m.2 SSDs. lol. again. any modern gaming pc can do that. sure, they would have to set a fast SSD as a minimum requirement for the game, but its nothing a PC cant do faster and better.
    I mean, it seems pretty obvious to me the answer here.

Everyone who has a PS5 has the same technology so they can take advantage of it.
    Not every PC has the same strength so they can't.

Is this actually meant to be a Switch competitor or more of it's own thing? Because I don't think the target audiences align here.

Full disclosure: I don't have a PS5, and I don't have any feelings about the machine one way or another. That being said, this video helps explain the efforts that Sony put into reducing load times from what a PC can do with a similar speed m.2.

This is a PC btw, not a "switch competitor".

But it hasn't because with a PC you have all types of storage, SSD,M.2SSD,HD,Hybrid and so on. With a PS5 you have a M.2SSD that was custom made for the system.

That is why the PS5 has pulled off something PC hasn't yet. Believe it or not but its ok for consoles to do something first over PC's. Since the PS5 and to a very slightly lesser extent the Xbox Series consoles have M.2 SSD's developers may start to phase out older hard drives all together and that's a huge plus.

With PC gaming you make something that works across many systems of many spec's. With consoles you don't, its one spec and that's it.

Once again don't take my word for it you can see actual developers say the same thing if u do a quick google search.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gurkan View Post
    This is a PC btw, not a "switch competitor".
    Gaming is a switch competitor.

Sony, Nintendo, Xbox, Mobile and PC gaming is in competition with each other. Gamers have a finite amount of time they can game, each platform is trying to get you to pick their platform for that time. This system is it sells well enough will help PC gaming take a clunk of that gaming time.

Sitting on the bus on the way to work/school ect.... you can whip out your Switch, Phone or Steam Deck to game. What one you decide is up to you and developers/publishers will keep doing stuff on each platform to get you to pick theirs.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    But it hasn't because with a PC you have all types of storage, SSD,M.2SSD,HD,Hybrid and so on. With a PS5 you have a M.2SSD that was custom made for the system.

That is why the PS5 has pulled off something PC hasn't yet. Believe it or not but its ok for consoles to do something first over PC's. Since the PS5 and to a very slightly lesser extent the Xbox Series consoles have M.2 SSD's developers may start to phase out older hard drives all together and that's a huge plus.

With PC gaming you make something that works across many systems of many spec's. With consoles you don't, its one spec and that's it.

Once again don't take my word for it you can see actual developers say the same thing if u do a quick google search.

- - - Updated - - -

Gaming is a switch competitor.

Sony, Nintendo, Xbox, Mobile and PC gaming is in competition with each other. Gamers have a finite amount of time they can game, each platform is trying to get you to pick their platform for that time. This system is it sells well enough will help PC gaming take a clunk of that gaming time.

Sitting on the bus on the way to work/school ect.... you can whip out your Switch, Phone or Steam Deck to game. What one you decide is up to you and developers/publishers will keep doing stuff on each platform to get you to pick theirs.
    its almost like you skipped right over the part where i talked about setting minimum requirements to take advantage of m.2. anyway, i really dont care what some dev on sony's pay role has to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    Is this actually meant to be a Switch competitor or more of it's own thing? Because I don't think the target audiences align here.
    It's definitely meant to compete with the Switch, but it's mainly supposed to be an Android and Apple store competitor. Strange as that sounds. Bear with me: Valve knows the mobile market is growing and other than gaming laptops they have no means of penetrating it right now. They're stuck to desktops and that's a precarious position to be in.

That's why Gabe pointed out that they're offering this at a 'painful' price. They want to create, or at least test, how many people are willing to walk around with a high-end mobile gaming device.

This also means that Valve wouldn't mind, or even rejoice if another manufacturer showed up and is able to provide a better product at a cheaper price. That company will only help them carve out the mobile niche further.

The Steam Deck also seems to be semi made to order. It's reservation only which means that Valve might postpone assembly until they know how many people are willing to purchase. All of this is one giant (but desperate) penetration test.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    It's definitely meant to compete with the Switch
    It's definitely not. Nintendo doesn't compete on hardware, they compete on software, which is why their consoles sell so well.

This is trying to carve out a niche with handheld PC usage, whether that market actually exists is to be seen.

This is about software, not hardware. Valve can't afford to be confined to desktops as the mobile market will eat them in the long run. Nintendo, Google and Apple should be regarded as the same competitors in this sense.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's definitely not. Nintendo doesn't compete on hardware, they compete on software, which is why their consoles sell so well.

This is trying to carve out a niche with handheld PC usage, whether that market actually exists is to be seen.
    It does as weve seen with the gpd win max/3, and i love my max.

Also im officially rebranding this to the gabeboy and none of you will stop me

i really dont care what some dev on sony's pay role has to say about it.
    Good thing it isn't just dev's on Sony's pay roll saying it....

If you actually did any research into what I said you would have known that.

But I guess some random guy on a form site knows way more then actual developers do...

compression is a performance hit by definition, no way of avoiding it. id much rather have uncompressed games on my PC where i have plenty of storage.
    WHAT??? COMPRESSION IS LITERALLY A PERFORMANCE BOOST FOR IO BY FUCKING DEFINITION. Performance hit for what exactly?? The fucking HARDWARE COMPRESSOR every system that's worth shit has?? And how does that impact 3D, physics, math computational power and everything else????

Hands down the stupidest thing I've read this month.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Full disclosure: I don't have a PS5, and I don't have any feelings about the machine one way or another. That being said, this video helps explain the efforts that Sony put into reducing load times from what a PC can do with a similar speed m.2.

Holy hell, this clickbait stupid shithead. I remember him from Apple M1, went like this:

1. People fucking know M1 will be fast as fuck, they base that on their iPad Pro CPUs which are very thermal limited but have no problem kicking low and mid end Intel CPUs.
    2. This guy comes with "OMG 2x IN APPLE CHARTS, FASTEST IN IT'S CLASS ALL BS" clickbait video.
    3. The irony about "pot, meet kettle" as he's doing same marketing with his all caps in video titles and clickbaits escapes this idiot.
    4. Apology video for more clicks.

Fucking hypocrite lamer, you best be avoiding him. Waste of every persons productive and informative time.
    Last edited by ldev; 2021-07-16 at 07:53 PM.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

It competes with the Switch in so much as somebody wanting to buy a portable gaming system may be tempted with one or the other. That's about it. Valve is obviously hoping it's going to lead t a lot more software sales, with the selling point being buy it once and play it on any of your PCs.

But at the end of the day, people who want Nintendo exclusives only have the one route to go. For people that are a lot more general here, they just want a good gaming system, could be tempted between the two devices.

10+ Year Old Account

Best 'quip yer flameshield. People get reeeal sweaty about Linus around here.

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    Fucking hypocrite lamer, you best be avoiding him. Waste of every persons productive and informative time.
    Reeeal sweaty.
    Last edited by Indigenously Abled; 2021-07-16 at 08:05 PM.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

It competes with the Switch in so much as somebody wanting to buy a portable gaming system may be tempted with one or the other. That's about it. Valve is obviously hoping it's going to lead t a lot more software sales, with the selling point being buy it once and play it on any of your PCs.

But at the end of the day, people who want Nintendo exclusives only have the one route to go. For people that are a lot more general here, they just want a good gaming system, could be tempted between the two devices.
    Exactly, that person who feels torn over purchasing either would be me. Still leaning towards a Switch so far. However Valve is also hoping that fewer people will be tempted to get involved in phone and tablet games if they're carrying out a pocket gaming pc.

I feel people are underestimating mobile gaming

See that sea of red? That sea is growing and it terrifies Valve. They need a part of that red. The PC market is still growing but phones and tablets are at an inflection point where their performance is capable of eating into games that would normally be played on other devices.

Quote Originally Posted by ldev View Post
    WHAT??? COMPRESSION IS LITERALLY A PERFORMANCE BOOST FOR IO BY FUCKING DEFINITION. Performance hit for what exactly?? The fucking HARDWARE COMPRESSOR every system that's worth shit has?? And how does that impact 3D, physics, math computational power and everything else????

Hands down the stupidest thing I've read this month.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy hell, this clickbait stupid shithead. I remember him from Apple M1, went like this:

1. People fucking know M1 will be fast as fuck, they base that on their iPad Pro CPUs which are very thermal limited but have no problem kicking low and mid end Intel CPUs.
    2. This guy comes with "OMG 2x IN APPLE CHARTS, FASTEST IN IT'S CLASS ALL BS" clickbait video.
    3. The irony about "pot, meet kettle" as he's doing same marketing with his all caps in video titles and clickbaits escapes this idiot.
    4. Apology video for more clicks.

lol. compression a performance boost. now ive heard everything. its ok lil buddy, i remember when i got my first pc. in case you somehow didnt get it: i never said it didnt improve IO, i was talking about overall system performance. sure, it makes the data faster to read, but there is a performance hit for decompression.
    Last edited by NihilSustinet; 2021-07-16 at 08:04 PM.