Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    What makes me apprehensive about buying a steam deck is that its operating system will be a combination of linux and steam. I am thinking that most of my old steam games will not work on it. I don't like many new games. If I could play my entire steam library on it, it would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    What makes me apprehensive about buying a steam deck is that its operating system will be a combination of linux and steam. I am thinking that most of my old steam games will not work on it. I don't like many new games. If I could play my entire steam library on it, it would be great.
    It's definitely a concern. While Valve state the goal is to have 100% of the library playable, I'm aware of how ridiculously big an ask that is, & I'm not expecting it at all. Realistically, I'm expecting 75% of my games to work & work well. Anything less than that would be very unfortunate. If they manage anywhere in the 90-100% range I'll be blown away... Ahh, I just want it now! The 3 month wait is killing me!

(Whatever the case, I'm still going to download every emulator under the sun, so I'll have plenty to play whatever happens A lot of games I enjoy also have native Linux ports anyway, so maybe it won't be a big deal).

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    It's definitely a concern. While Valve state the goal is to have 100% of the library playable, I'm aware of how ridiculously big an ask that is, & I'm not expecting it at all. Realistically, I'm expecting 75% of my games to work & work well. Anything less than that would be very unfortunate. If they manage anywhere in the 90-100% range I'll be blown away... Ahh, I just want it now! The 3 month wait is killing me!

(Whatever the case, I'm still going to download every emulator under the sun, so I'll have plenty to play whatever happens A lot of games I enjoy also have native Linux ports anyway, so maybe it won't be a big deal).
    Hard to judge the biggest issue will probably games that are from the XP era that will face major compatibility issues but that's really not that much different then what Windows 10 is facing with some of the older games (RA2 doesn't really work well for me the last time I tried).

Everything from Vista to 10 should work I reckon
    Future games are probably a bit harder to judge because unless developers will make a Steam Deck native version most games will be poorly optimized.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Hard to judge the biggest issue will probably games that are from the XP era that will face major compatibility issues but that's really not that much different then what Windows 10 is facing with some of the older games (RA2 doesn't really work well for me the last time I tried).

Everything from Vista to 10 should work I reckon
    Future games are probably a bit harder to judge because unless developers will make a Steam Deck native version most games will be poorly optimized.
    Thankfully a lot of games from that period that I'd like to play have console versions that'll be very easily emulated & up-ressed, so that should be alright. Anything PC-centric like Red Alert 2 (which is one of my all-time favourite games) wouldn't make sense to play on the SD for me personally so I'm not too worried.

Future games should be an interesting one, but I'm mostly curious as to how long the internal APU will remain good enough to play AAA games... Which is something I'm absolutely not interested in doing personally thanks to having a rather capable PC & laptop, but is something to keep an eye on as a curious observer.

Two months to go Getting closer... Unless it gets delayed, which isn't unthinkable given the current state of things.

Anyone else excited for SteamOS 3.0, either on the Deck or on the desktop?

Two months to go Getting closer... Unless it gets delayed, which isn't unthinkable given the current state of things.

It's nothing groundbreaking in that version. Also I think change from base of debian to arch is really bad idea for desktop.

On the other hand supposedly steam deck was suppose to support windows and thats where it could get interesting.
    Last edited by kaminaris; 2021-10-02 at 05:26 AM.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    It's nothing groundbreaking in that version. On the other hand supposedly steam deck was suppose to support windows and thats where it could get interesting.
    You can install windows instead of steamos.

I just preordered mine. So i gotta wait till like the second quarter of 2022.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

Can anyone explain to me if the specs are better than Switch?

I bought Switch because I wanted to play indie games, but I'm thinking Steam Deck would be better for that.
    Last edited by Ashleyxoxo; 2021-10-02 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post

I just preordered mine. So i gotta wait till like the second quarter of 2022.
    Thats... what I said? Unless you meant something else?

I mean I have no use for handheld device personally but up until now every handheld device had either proprietary OS (Switch etc) or if supported windows was pretty garbage. So steam deck might change something in that regard.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Doesn't even have to be instead of. Last FAQ they updated says it'll support MultiBooting OS's so you can keep SteamOS and then put Windows on it if you wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post

I bought Switch because I wanted to play indie games, but I'm thinking Steam Deck would be better for that.
    From what I said it should be a lot better than Switch, plus you aren't locked to just the Nintendo Library. You'll have the entire Steam Library, plus any other company you order games through like Epic, GoG, Origin, etc.

Though, I think overall there are a lot that are better than Switch. From what I understand, haven't researched it much, Switch console is pretty low key on power/specs.

The big advantage between Steam Deck vs handheld consoles is that you aren't locked to a specific company and have some freedom.

Here's a site that gives some ideas if it helps. Performance Specs As developers have been getting dev kits lately and have been testing them out. So performance tweaks for each game might be soon too.
    Last edited by Lucetia; 2021-10-02 at 05:41 AM.

Thats... what I said? Unless you meant something else?

I mean I have no use for handheld device personally but up until now every handheld device had either proprietary OS (Switch etc) or if supported windows was pretty garbage. So steam deck might change something in that regard.
    You said “supposedly”

I wouldnt expected max settings. Maybe med-low on most games. I doubt it’ll run cyberpunk very well.
    Last edited by Usernameforforums; 2021-10-02 at 09:12 AM.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

You said “supposedly”

I wouldnt expected max settings. Maybe med-low on most games. I doubt it’ll run cyberpunk very well.
    cybercringe is not optimized at all, it struggles to function on most hardware, and the graphics arent even good.
    its just make believe with all the particle/light effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinured View Post
    cybercringe is not optimized at all, it struggles to function on most hardware, and the graphics arent even good.
    its just make believe with all the particle/light effects.
    Buggy, yes, but it runs fine. Crysis would be a better example of a unoptimized game. Really, the cry engine itself is horribly optimized.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

It's nothing groundbreaking in that version. Also I think change from base of debian to arch is really bad idea for desktop.

On the other hand supposedly steam deck was suppose to support windows and thats where it could get interesting.
    It's more the massive Proton update that's expected to come along with it I suppose. I'm likely not going to go the Windows 11 route on the desktop/laptop, but it's been a good 5-8 years or so since I bothered with Linux, so Steam OS 3.0 might be the right time for me.

Why is the change from Debian to Arch a bad one? Just difficulty of learning the OS?

It's not even remotely close between the two in terms of horsepower. People are spectulating that the Deck will be able to run (some) Switch games via emulation, which is pretty impressive given how far from fully optimized "Yuzu" is.

People are using the Aya Neo as a comparison, & expecting the Deck to come out ahead on GPU performance because of the RDNA2 cores on the custom designed APU. The Aya Neo can be seen here playing Odyssey:

The video is from 8 months back, and a LOT can change in that time, so it's only going to get better & better.
    Last edited by Toybox; 2021-10-02 at 11:37 AM.

Just want my Steam Deck to play my bloated Steam Library during down times at work in the Airport...

Curious, can you install games not on Steam itself and link and play it via Steam (added as Non-Steam game)?

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Curious, can you install games not on Steam itself and link and play it via Steam (added as Non-Steam game)?
    Yeah, they updated their FAQ about a week ago to say you can addon Non-Steam games to it just like you can with the desktop version.

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/faq

Originally Posted by SteamFAQ
    Q: Can I run non-Steam games through Proton on Steam Deck?
    A: Yes, you can run non-Steam games through Proton.

Q: Will Steam on Steam Deck have an ‘Add a Game’ feature like Steam on desktop?
    A: Yes, we'll support adding games like we do for the desktop Steam client

Should I get the cheapest one or the mid-level storage one?

Don't get the cheapest one get the mid-level one.

All models are confirmed to have a NVME slot but how easy it will be to get to it and add storage is unknown.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

15+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, you wouldn't get yours for a year at this point. If you want, you can just get a gpd win 3 or something

I plan to duel boot it on my gaming PC

Nvidia are starting to take Linux more seriously as a gaming platform by the look of it, better driver support from them should help a lot:
    Linux gamers using Valve’s Proton compatibility tool to run Windows games will be getting a performance upgrade in the future: Nvidia has announced that it’s working with Valve to bring FPS boosts using its DLSS technology featured on its RTX cards
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/4/22...-ai-upsampling