Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    gpd win 3
    Jesus, it’s 3x the price at $1.3k.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Jesus, it’s 3x the price at $1.3k.
    There are other options. I just feel like if you have to wait a year, you won't want it by then

Quote Originally Posted by Toybox View Post
    It's more the massive Proton update that's expected to come along with it I suppose. I'm likely not going to go the Windows 11 route on the desktop/laptop, but it's been a good 5-8 years or so since I bothered with Linux, so Steam OS 3.0 might be the right time for me.

Why is the change from Debian to Arch a bad one? Just difficulty of learning the OS?
    Its not just difficulty. It's about lacking trillion of things and being simply unstable. I've tried Arch once, "good for developers" my ass.

Best explanation is first response to this: https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmaster...hate_for_arch/

It was also about same time when i tried it. Exchanging debian for arch is simply shoot in the foot. Thats like replacing typical family sedan from 2010 to oldtimer 1960 that was rebuilt with some 3d printed plastic elements.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

There are other options. I just feel like if you have to wait a year, you won't want it by then
    What’re the other options? I’m not against spending a lot, I just want it to be worth the money.
    Last edited by Ashleyxoxo; 2021-10-03 at 02:18 AM.

I've got 2 months to wait & I can barely manage that I really regret picking up a G14 earlier in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Iliena View Post
    I plan to duel boot it on my gaming PC

Nvidia are starting to take Linux more seriously as a gaming platform by the look of it, better driver support from them should help a lot:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/4/22...-ai-upsampling
    I saw this & it's great news as an RTX owner, but the big one I'm really waiting for is Nvidia opening their drivers up... Please? It can happen, right?!

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Its not just difficulty. It's about lacking trillion of things and being simply unstable. I've tried Arch once, "good for developers" my ass.

Best explanation is first response to this: https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmaster...hate_for_arch/

It was also about same time when i tried it. Exchanging debian for arch is simply shoot in the foot. Thats like replacing typical family sedan from 2010 to oldtimer 1960 that was rebuilt with some 3d printed plastic elements.
    Haha, I'll give it a peak, thanks.

15+ Year Old Account
    What’re the other options? I’m not against spending a lot, I just want it to be worth the money.
    I have a gpd win max and it's pretty good. The aya neo is solid. They aren't better than a steam deck, but you can get them now if you want to

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Yeah, they updated their FAQ about a week ago to say you can addon Non-Steam games to it just like you can with the desktop version.

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/faq

Originally Posted by SteamFAQ
    Q: Can I run non-Steam games through Proton on Steam Deck?
    A: Yes, you can run non-Steam games through Proton.

Q: Will Steam on Steam Deck have an ‘Add a Game’ feature like Steam on desktop?
    A: Yes, we'll support adding games like we do for the desktop Steam client
    Awesome, thanks.

I really regret picking up a G14 earlier in the year.
    I looked up the g14 and it seems more up my alley. I don’t care about portability outside of playing in bed, as someone in public could just snatch it from my hands and run.
    Last edited by Ashleyxoxo; 2021-10-03 at 03:31 AM.

I looked up the g14 and it seems more up my alley. I don’t care about portability outside of playing in bed, as someone in public could just snatch it from my hands and run.
    It's the complete opposite for me. I picked up the laptop so I could sit in the garden with the dog & relax while playing some indie/emulated games, but it's just a bit of a chore to do with a controller & whatnot - Something like the Deck however is absolutely ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    "Competitor for the Switch"? Not really. People could already connect their PC to their TVs (via a cable or streaming) and play their games on the big screen if they wanted. If they wanted to play on the go then they could stream their PC to their phone. And most people who buy the Switch aren't buying for the dual functionality; they're buying for access to the current library of Nintendo games (Switch emulators require huge processing power to run at a decent framerate, which means even more expensive hardware... which is conspicuously scarce ATM).

This will just be another Steam Box: a highly niche product that will sell to the people who actively seek it out, but it's not going to seriously threaten the Switch.
    This ^ 100%. Chances are it wont last a full cycle, the handheld market is on lockdown by nintendo. Unless they actually manage to get steam games to work on phones or existing tablets, I cant see the point in investing in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    This ^ 100%. Chances are it wont last a full cycle, the handheld market is on lockdown by nintendo. Unless they actually manage to get steam games to work on phones or existing tablets, I cant see the point in investing in this.
    Doesn't matter, Steam has pushed for other companies to develop their own handheld PCs... which would also play Steam Games, meaning more money for Valve.

It's a Win-Win for them.

How repairable the buttons/joystics will be I wonder. The buttons/joysticks tend to wear down after years of use. I wish they took a switch like approach where you can replace the controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    How repairable the buttons/joystics will be I wonder. The buttons/joysticks tend to wear down after years of use. I wish they took a switch like approach where you can replace the controllers.
    A genuine concern. Hopefully Valve at the very least will make the parts available further down the line for people who want to attempt a repair out of warranty. The company that takes the idea of the handheld PC & makes one that's fully modular is the one I'll end up with in the long term.

I think people really misjudge how much the Deck is actually competing against the Switch. Whatever the case, seeing pre orders backed up for nearly a year & companies like Epic directly support their storefront competitor by enabling their games to run on their platform shows that there's at least a place for it.

I'm mostly just looking forward to a handheld that I'll have thousands of games ready to go right from day one & feels more like a gaming device than something like a phone with a grip. I used to use a custom 3D printed brackets to connect my phone to a Steam Controller/Xbox Controller, & it just never felt the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Im pretty sure you will be able to replace joysticks. Two options, either they used existing component for that (I can't say for sure but most companies use ALPS joysticks)
    If that is the case you would be simply able to replace them. If you don't have knowledge/tools yourself, any repair service with soldering tools could do that. Buying that would be easy, at least its super easy where I live.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333796626085

In this case you won't have to worry about valve making them available as they already are.

OR they designed something new (rather small chance) in which case you will be at mercy of their supplier.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

I have a gpd win max and it's pretty good. The aya neo is solid. They aren't better than a steam deck, but you can get them now if you want to
    dont tell people to buy crap for double the price.

the other people: just wait, you wont die if you dont get it now.
    I will give ya guys feedback in december.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinured View Post
    dont tell people to buy crap for double the price.

the other people: just wait, you wont die if you dont get it now.
    I will give ya guys feedback in december.
    Except they aren't crap, are out, and get a lot more support than the deck might knowing valve's hardware track record. Im giving advice to a casual that doesnt have one already preordered that might not want it a whole year from now

A genuine concern. Hopefully Valve at the very least will make the parts available further down the line for people who want to attempt a repair out of warranty. The company that takes the idea of the handheld PC & makes one that's fully modular is the one I'll end up with in the long term.

I think people really misjudge how much the Deck is actually competing against the Switch. Whatever the case, seeing pre orders backed up for nearly a year & companies like Epic directly support their storefront competitor by enabling their games to run on their platform shows that there's at least a place for it.

I'm mostly just looking forward to a handheld that I'll have thousands of games ready to go right from day one & feels more like a gaming device than something like a phone with a grip. I used to use a custom 3D printed brackets to connect my phone to a Steam Controller/Xbox Controller, & it just never felt the same.
    exactly. This platform ISN'T bringing anyone new to it. It's just getting current steamers to shell out another few hundred bucks to tAkE gAmEs On tHe Go!, as if they need anything else to make them less productive.

I cannot see the Steam Deck seriously threaten the Switch unless it gets a thriving emulator scene.
    The Switch is currently suffering most from anti-consumer practices in regards to older games, if the Steam Deck can run an emulator easily then it could snatch up the players that want to play Pokémon Emerald on the Switch but can't, for instance.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Except they aren't crap, are out, and get a lot more support than the deck might knowing valve's hardware track record. Im giving advice to a casual that doesnt have one already preordered that might not want it a whole year from now
    This is so overstated it's crazy. The Steam Machines were an incredible failure, granted, but the groundwork laid by Steam OS 1.0 led to what we have today. The Steam Controller was fantastic & was only discontinued because of a lawsuit with Scuf - People just didn't like it because it wasn't immediately accessible/required some tweaking, & people went in expecting just another 2 stick/one dpad controller for some reason. The Link was great (I still have mine), has had solid support for years, though was made mostly irrelevant by other devices & the mobile link app in recent years. The Index has been the best in class for years, & Valve have done more to support VR than perhaps any other developer out there.

One clear miss with the Steam Machines, one absolute nail on the head with the Index, one misunderstood gem with the Controller, & the Link which was supported for years, still works fine, & lead to the online app doesn't seem like a company with a terrible hardware track record to me - At least nowhere near as terrible as people make it out to be.

On the other devices, I'm hoping we see a few more big name competitors to compete with the Deck. As good as the Aya Neo seems to be, I'd not heard of the company until I saw the handheld, so I was never comfortable shelling out that much money for one. GDP can't afford to sell at a loss either, so the hardware/performance available wasn't super compelling to me. If Microsoft were to launch one, however...

exactly. This platform ISN'T bringing anyone new to it. It's just getting current steamers to shell out another few hundred bucks to tAkE gAmEs On tHe Go!, as if they need anything else to make them less productive.
    Bit of a weird attitude to take about gaming on a gaming forum. What's wrong with a bit of recreational gaming?

I'm not sure it's bringing no-one (the reaction in handheld-centric Japan seems to be very positive), but it is mostly for PC folks, sure. PC is the second biggest market behind mobile though, so there's definitely place for more innovation inside the space.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is so overstated it's crazy. The Steam Machines were an incredible failure, granted, but the groundwork laid by Steam OS 1.0 led to what we have today. The Steam Controller was fantastic & was only discontinued because of a lawsuit with Scuf - People just didn't like it because it wasn't immediately accessible/required some tweaking, & people went in expecting just another 2 stick/one dpad controller for some reason. The Link was great (I still have mine), has had solid support for years, though was made mostly irrelevant by other devices & the mobile link app in recent years. The Index has been the best in class for years, & Valve have done more to support VR than perhaps any other developer out there.

One clear miss with the Steam Machines, one absolute nail on the head with the Index, one misunderstood gem with the Controller, & the Link which was supported for years, still works fine, & lead to the online app doesn't seem like a company with a terrible hardware track record to me - At least nowhere near as terrible as people make it out to be.

On the other devices, I'm hoping we see a few more big name competitors to compete with the Deck. As good as the Aya Neo seems to be, I'd not heard of the company until I saw the handheld, so I was never comfortable shelling out that much money for one. GDP can't afford to sell at a loss either, so the hardware/performance available wasn't super compelling to me. If Microsoft were to launch one, however...

Bit of a weird attitude to take about gaming on a gaming forum. What's wrong with a bit of recreational gaming?

I'm not sure it's bringing no-one (the reaction in handheld-centric Japan seems to be very positive), but it is mostly for PC folks, sure. PC is the second biggest market behind mobile though, so there's definitely place for more innovation inside the space.
    Its not about quality, it's how many sell. It could be the most perfect handheld of all time, but not sell well so there's no reason to continue to support it. And also, the deck isn't exempt from another stupid reason to drop it like the others. All I'm saying is don't be surprised if they forget about it by mid 2023 because gaben wants to build a rocket to mars or something instead now so buy at your own risk
    Last edited by Video Games; 2021-10-03 at 08:53 PM.