Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Which MCU Hulk do you prefer? Edward Norton or Mark Ruffalo?

Marvel might pretend all day The Incredible Hulk didn't happen, and despite Edward Norton being an uncooperative douche that ultimately got him kicked out through no fault of Marvel itself, I can't help but think his Hulk was much better than Ruffalo. Not just acting, but tonally, and aesthetically. It's a much more savage, and ragged Hulk, while Ruffalo's Hulk almost looks well groomed. Maybe it's Ruffalo's dopey face (Kate Winslet syndrome) but it looks goofier, too. Tonally, Norton's Hulk is also more tragic but still not too dark for the MCU.

Do you agree? Which Hulk do you like better? Norton's or Ruffalo's?
    Last edited by Kyphael; 2021-07-16 at 03:09 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Marvel isn't pretending Incredible Hulk didn't happen. NBC Universal has and continues to own all rights to solo Hulk movies, hence why the film doesn't appear on Disney+ and why, afterwards, Hulk only ever showed up around other Avengers. That said, I liked Ruffalo's Hulk and Banner better. Ruffalo brought a quirky geek charm to Banner that I found made him more endearing than Norton. Also, Ruffalo's physical appearance incorporated into the Avengers Hulk has the added bonus of having him more closely resemble the classic Hulk look drawn by Jack Kirby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

Well considering Abomination is gonna show up in Shang-Chi, i'm pretty sure the execs and writers of the MCU are well aware of the Edward Norton Hulk movie and still treat it as canon even with the whole studio mess of that film.

But to answer your question it's Ruffalo, who I believe was the first choice for the film to begin with until Universal stepped in and wanted Norton. Norton can be a great actor but honestly, I didn't think he really bought into the role nor enjoy it. Ruffalo appeared far more natural playing as Bruce Banner.

Ruffalo by a mile. I'm not a fan of the 'dark and brooding' style of Banner. I much prefer a more docile and affable Banner, so that he contrasts that much more with the Hulk.

Though I must say that I hated the Banner-Hulk from Endgame.

I like Ruffalo's Hulk character and Banner character. But the Professor Hulk character is kinda garbage. It seems unearned too. I mean, things were just getting worse between the two. And it led to... this? On the surface it's crap, and we get to see nothing deeper. It feels like there was supposed to be a movie between Infinity War and Endgame we never got to see.

That said, I don't know what Marvel's plans for the Hulk character are. Maybe this is leading up to something wonderful. I know a She-Hulk series is planned. Maybe that will also have much-needed time for the Hulk/Banner to get some good character development.

I don't know. Professor Hulk just doesn't work for me. The character is supposed to be about this inner turmoil. This contrast between the meek man containing the endless fury of the Hulk. Professor Hulk works fine as the conclusion to their story. And with his arm ruined, maybe that would be the best. Give Banner his happy ending. But, I doubt it'll go that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanted to like Norton's Banner and Hulk, but the second I saw Ruffalo's I was, like: pointingrickdalton.jpg

I'll second Professor Hulk not 100% working for me. Can't really put my finger on it. Maybe it was his reluctance to smash, or me really enjoying Ragnarok Hulk and being sad he was gone?
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Marvel might pretend all day The Incredible Hulk didn't happen
    Errr, what?

Abomination, from that film, is coming back in Shang Chi for at least a partial role. Same actor playing him and everything. The Ed Norton Hulk is literally the same character that Ruffalo is currently playing, the role was just re-cast, the same way they replaced Terrence Howard with Don Cheadle as Rhodie.

As for the roles, nah. Norton's a decent enough actor, but Ruffalo brought a lot more to the role than Norton did.

The aesthetics are near-identical; they designed the Hulk's face to be based off the actor's, and that's about it, other than improving the tech over the years. Hulk's cleaned up over time, but that's not the same thing at all; that's the fairly genetically mercurial nature of Hulk, which was true in the comics too.

The only reason Hulk doesn't get Hulk-title films is because of licensing; Marvel doesn't own the rights outright and they'd have to share the proceeds with the rights holder if they did so. The arrangement lets them use Hulk as they wish in OTHER properties, but he can't be the title character. That's not the character being "forgotten", at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Errr, what?

Abomination, from that film, is coming back in Shang Chi for at least a partial role.
    Also, Thunderbolt Ross has shown up in four other MCU films after Incredible Hulk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

10+ Year Old Account
    Buffalo is better. I think the Hulk isn't a character you can or should do solo. He needs to be paired. He's perfect in Ragnarok
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Ruffalo, hands down. He just does a better job at playing a scientist. Ed Norton was good but he just....didn't feel like a brilliant scientist. Ruffalo has the perfect vibe for Bruce Banner.

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    I like Ruffalo's Hulk character and Banner character. But the Professor Hulk character is kinda garbage.
    Completely agree. I don’t keep up on rumors and behind the scenes stuff much, but it felt like we were getting a huge build up to the hulk as we approached endgame, and we got a character that was barely there in the final battle. I’m not sure if it was a subvert expectations thing, or just Whedon-era plot threads that didn’t pan out. Professor hulk’s origin seemed to be something, as an audience member, I felt we deserved to see on-screen. Instead we get a “hey we worked it out now it’s all cool”.

OT Ruffalo and I don’t even think it’s a contest, but that really is because of the material more than anything. I’m sure Norton could have pulled things off, but it’s hard to imagine him playing the banner we’ve seen up to professor hulk.

Marvel holds the Film Rights while Universal has the Distribution Rights and refuses to relinquish them.

Hmmm that very much depends...
    Norton was the better fit for a Hulk movie happening in the past; when scientists were expected these serious, brooding nerds
    Ruffalo, on the other hand, fits the image of the scientist nowadays way better...

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Can’t say I’m a fan of either neither actor comes across as a good banner to me. Though if I had to pick one I’d go with ruffalo as the hulk form is just higher quality if still weak in every thing other then ragnarok.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Eric Bana.

In all seriousness, I like the writing of Mark Ruffalo's hulk more. Then again it will surely get ruined if he still appears in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Eric Bana.

In all seriousness, I like the writing of Mark Ruffalo's hulk more. Then again it will surely get ruined if he still appears in the MCU.
    I was going to say Bana.. The split screens was so good though...

Ruffalo is my favorite.

Ruffalo. No contest.

I think Norton's hulk was a big upgrade to the 2003 Hulk, but it was further improved with the Ruffalo Hulk. I like that there's a resemblance between the actor and the monster and I do prefer the less sinewy/striated look of the latter Hulk as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion Ruffalo's Hulk is better.

Also, where is this "Edward Norton being an uncooperative douche" coming from? Just curious.

5+ Year Old Account
    Norton's, though his too looks groomed..less, but hulk isn't supposed to look like he is having a neat haircut, comic hulk I grew up with looked more neantherthal than homo sapien, movie hulk they are trying to make look more relatable which I don't like..

She hulk however looked like a homo sapien, just taller, not...whatever passes for she hulk today..
    She's supposed to be hulk's opposite, kept her humanity..
    I don't understand why people like that banner (ruffalo) looks like hulk..or smart hulk, it ruins the whole jekyll n hyde concept, the whole point is that u get an uncontrolable person, its what sets hulk apart from other strong characters like colossus or the thing, those kept their persona, especially colossus

What the fuck...
    https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/98...3sbu3LNmjJ.jpg
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-07-16 at 07:46 AM.